Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget travel

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

:mad::mad:Budget travel is gone now what is wrong with this country:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1125/budgettravel.html
    Ireland's largest tour operator Budget Travel is to be wound up after a provisional liquidator was appointed at the High Court.
    The company will cease trading from this evening with the loss of 172 jobs and the closure of 17 retail shops.
    The company was established in May 1975 and had a 30% share of the market.
    Almost 750 people are on holiday abroad with Budget Travel.
    The company says it is working closely with the Commission for Aviation Regulation to ensure plans are put in place to enable all customers to return to Ireland with the minimum of inconvenience.
    For people who have booked holidays with Budget Travel, the company says it may be possible to arrange a similar holiday package with an alternative company.
    Up to 380 people are due to fly out on holidays with Budget Travel between tomorrow and Sunday from Dublin and Cork.
    Those flights have been cancelled and people can get a refund from Commission for Aviation Regulation.
    Budget Travel Managing Director Eileen O'Sullivan said: 'This has been a painful and distressing time for us all and we deeply regret that this situation has arisen.
    'We will do everything we can to minimise the impact of this decision especially on those who are currently travelling with us.'

A helpline number is available for intending passengers - 01 661 3122.

There's a helpline number there, hope there arent huge issues with people being stuck but awful for the workers and so close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

draward wrote: »
    :mad::mad:Budget travel is gone now what is wrong with this country:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Because people are self packaging as is evident all over the boards and not booking with the traditional travel agents / tour operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Surely this is quite good news.

Consumers have realised that they can book cheaper better hotels, cheaper and more conveniently timed flights, organise their own airport transfers etc.

So the company who sent us to the hovel apartment blocks on flights departing and returning at 4 in the morning (times which meant you had to leave your apartment block 16 hours before your flight home), on horrible charter flights with mimimum leg room, whose travel reps gave zero support to the holidaymaker and often seemed to be on the side of the hotel owner - this company has gone busto?

I rejoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The likes of Ryanair and online hotel booking has put these over the counter package holiday companies out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

AM MAD COS ANOTHER 174 JOBS GONE + EP MOONEY THE MORE JOBS GO THE HARDER IT IS TO FIND A JOB. THE PEOPLE ON THE DOLE CANT STRIKE TO GET THERE VOICE HEARD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

AM MAD COS ANOTHER 174 JOBS GONE + EP MOONEY THE MORE JOBS GO THE HARDER IT IS TO FIND A JOB. THE PEOPLE ON THE DOLE CANT STRIKE TO GET THERE VOICE HEARD

Maddening stuff indeed. It'll be very difficult for those affected I'm sure - have you been affected personally by this?
    We cannot ignore though the effect online booking has on package holiday companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

That helpline number isn't much good. Rang it and told office is closed. My parents were due to fly out on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

kerash wrote: »
    Maddening stuff indeed. It'll be very difficult for those affected I'm sure - have you been affected personally by this?
    We cannot ignore though the effect online booking has on package holiday companies.

NO i havent been affected but it just maddening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nothing wrong, everyone just books holidays themselves now directly, no real need for a middle man these days.

Jip wrote: »
    Nothing wrong, everyone just books holidays themselves now directly, no real need for a middle man these days.

I have to disagree with you. I always book my sun holiday with Budget every year and I can never find a better deal with anyone, whether that be another agency or trying to book everything myself. But I suppose it depends on what kind of holiday you are looking for.
    I'll miss them and it's very sad to see all those jobs gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

sick :( book all my late deals with Budget !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Reganovski wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you. I always book my sun holiday with Budget every year and I can never find a better deal with anyone, whether that be another agency or trying to book everything myself. But I suppose it depends on what kind of holiday you are looking for.
    Without knowledge of how extensive your searching is it's hard to quantify your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Reganovski wrote: »
    That helpline number isn't much good. Rang it and told office is closed. My parents were due to fly out on Friday

Same here about the helpline, my parents due to fly out Friday week. Booked by credit card so say they are safe enough to get there money back. They are thinking now of just booking another holiday with another tour operator, I am telling them to book another one but I think my dad is afraid he wont get his refund.

My father rang the Aviation Regulation and they said there will be a form going up on their website www.aviationreg.ie over the next week for people to claim their monies. Not sure how it works or how much people will get back. I think their holiday was approx €1,000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Davexirl wrote: »
    Same here about the helpline, my parents due to fly out Friday week. Booked by credit card so say they are safe enough to get there money back. They are thinking now of just booking another holiday with another tour operator, I am telling them to book another one but I think my dad is afraid he wont get his refund.

Your Dad will definitely get his refund 100% if it's all booked with Budget Travel.
    It's a bond issue so cash / cheque / cc / laser will all be refunded. This why travel agents and tour operators are bonded. It may take a few weeks that's the only issue.
    I'd advise your Dad to book a new holiday as they will start to book out now and increase in price due to the extra demand on the flights that are left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Surely this is quite good news.

Consumers have realised that they can book cheaper better hotels, cheaper and more conveniently timed flights, organise their own airport transfers etc.

So the company who sent us to the hovel apartment blocks on flights departing and returning at 4 in the morning (times which meant you had to leave your apartment block 16 hours before your flight home), on horrible charter flights with mimimum leg room, whose travel reps gave zero support to the holidaymaker and often seemed to be on the side of the hotel owner - this company has gone busto?

I rejoice.

Thank you for rejoicing that my job and jobs of people that i have worked closely with for the past few years are gone, and that we are now out in the cold without a proper redunacy package... thanks

As for anyone that has booked with budget travel, you wont loose your money as the company is a fully bonded company. It will be the same procudure that happened when XL holidays went bust.. go onto the website and print out the relative documents.. if anyone needs help PM me

emo!! wrote: »
    Thank you for rejoicing that my job and jobs of people that i have worked closely with for the past few years are gone, and that we are now out in the cold without a proper redunacy package... thanks

As for anyone that has booked with budget travel, you wont loose your money as the company is a fully bonded company. It will be the same procudure that happened when XL holidays went bust.. go onto the website and print out the relative documents.. if anyone needs help PM me

Sorry to hear this, Emo - fingers crossed the Travel industry will pick up very soon and you'll get another job asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bornacoola

Sorry to hear for all those who will lose their jobs, never a nice time to lose it but on the run up to christmas is a tough one to take.

On a personal note, I was given Budget travel vouchers as a wedding present, can I claim to get the monetary amount refunded or are they gone?

bornacoola wrote: »
    Sorry to hear for all those who will lose their jobs, never a nice time to lose it but on the run up to christmas is a tough one to take.

On a personal note, I was given Budget travel vouchers as a wedding present, can I claim to get the monetary amount refunded or are they gone?

Vouchers aren't covered under the bond unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

I booked two Aer Lingus flights with them a couple of weeks ago, due to Aer Lingus' website not accepting my Laser card. They gave me print-outs with my name, itineraries and confirmation numbers on them.

I rang Aer Lingus a minute ago to confirm that they were still valid--I assume they are since Aer Lingus charges up front and the print-outs are from their own website--but they couldn't tell me because of some bull**** security reason, i.e. I had booked through a licensed travel agent.

So I'm left wondering if the flights can still be used.

Anyone any ideas? I'm not worried about losing my money or anything. I just don't wanna turn up at the airport and be flightless.

P.S. My query seems pretty pointless in the face of people losing jobs :(

• Advertisement

bornacoola wrote: »

As far as i know you can , I'll look into it for you and let you know

j_nolan wrote: »
    I booked two Aer Lingus flights with them a couple of weeks ago, due to Aer Lingus' website not accepting my Laser card. They gave me print-outs with my name, itineraries and confirmation numbers on them.

I rang Aer Lingus a minute ago to confirm that they were still valid--I assume they are since Aer Lingus charges up front and the print-outs are from their own website--but they couldn't tell me because of some bull**** security reason, i.e. I had booked through a licensed travel agent.

Anyone any ideas? I'm not worried about losing my money or anything. I just don't wanna turn up at the airport and be flightless.
    them flights are okay, once you paid for them in full ... they book aerllingus flight throught Chase travel in dublin, so if you are really worried give them a bell.=, but you can take it from me that they are fine.. but for peace of mind for yourself ring chase travel

but once you have a reference number they are okay.. its only peoples package holidays, and people that didnt pay for things in full that are really affected

j_nolan wrote: »

Once Aer Lingus have been paid you will be covered. As far as I know Aer Lingus will have taken the money upfront. Can you log in online with the email address on the confirmation?
    IF for some bizarre reason they aren't confirmed then you would still be covered for your money as you booked with a licensed and bonded travel agent.

emo, you are a saint, thank you for your help.

OK, I rang Chase and they said they "don't book flights," which I assume is bollocks because it says in their website that they do. I'll ring the Budget helpline tomorrow and see if I can get through. I, like you guys, are pretty sure I'm OK, as AerLingus takes the money up front, but just to be safe.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

EDIT: I've just noticed that on the print-outs it says clubtravel.ie. So I'm going to give them a ring in the morning - they're busy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dstar_ie

i booked a holiday for myself, my partner and my parents. the total came to a few thousand. i wonder since ive paid in full are the flights and hotel paid for or will they be canceled now?

i wonder since i pid everything by credit card could i get a refund via the credit card?

i feel very sorry for anyone who has lost their job. i found the employees at budget very friendly and easy to deal with.

sorry sorry was ment to say club travel >.<

head is a bit mush atm!

dstar_ie wrote: »
    i booked a holiday for myself, my partner and my parents. the total came to a few thousand. i wonder since ive paid in full are the flights and hotel paid for or will they be canceled now?

i wonder since i pid everything by credit card could i get a refund via the credit card?

i feel very sorry for anyone who has lost their job. i found the employees at budget very friendly and easy to deal with.
    what kind of flights?? was it a budget travel package holiday, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dstar_ie

emo!! wrote: »
    what kind of flights?? was it a budget travel package holiday, or what?

Yes package holidays.

but i have the flight numbers and the hotel from the invoice.

• Advertisement

dstar_ie wrote: »
    Yes package holidays.

You'll be covered either way. Just make sure it's a Budget travel operated package. If so you'll get a refund but won't have a holiday. If it's a Thomas Cook or Falcon Holiday Sunway ( any other Irish operator) booked with Budget you'll still be covered but your holiday will also still be in place. You'll need to contact them.

Advertisement