Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood Warning from AA Road watch

Options
  • 19-11-2009 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

their site keeps crashing and this update is from 3:58pm

CORK CITY* • Water is being released from Inniscarra Dam and this will severely affect the city centre, conditions expected to worsen approaching high tide 6:30pm.

he N22/Lee Rd, the Ballea Rd, Straight Rd, Inniscarra Rd and Carrigrohane Rd are all closed due to flooding. • The Ballygarvan to Five Mile Bridge Rd is closed. • The Togher exit off the Sarsfield Rd R/A and the Doughcloyne R/A are closed. • Centre Park, Tramore, and Rochestown/Passage West and Carrigaline/Crosshaven Rds are flooded. • Flooding at Courtbrack in Blarney, Powder mills in Ballincollig and Ballincollig/Coachford Rd (R618). *CORK* West Cork is badly affected by flooding. • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd is impassable due to flooding at Skibereen, Clonakilty and at Inishannon. In addition the road through Crossbarry is also flooded (R589) which is the main alternative. • The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd is flooded through Macroom. • Very bad flooding on the N25 Cork/Waterford Rd from Midleton to Carrigtwohill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

This is good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

thanks for that, was just going to look for high tide tiimes for the city! You saved me having to do it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Is the city centre passable? Western Road, the Quays?

I will return the favour of getting this information by updating the thread while/after I brave the roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Straight road very bad; photos attached...

attachment.php?attachmentid=96516&stc=1&d=1258654486

attachment.php?attachmentid=96517&stc=1&d=1258654486

attachment.php?attachmentid=96515&stc=1&d=1258654486

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Some flooding at the bottm of shanakiel hill but most of the city centre seemed ok. Surface water everywhere though. Crazy weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hi guys. Driving from Waterford to Cork tomorrow evening. Also travelling all the way to the Kingsley Hotel so will have to get through the city centre as well. Is there any update on the flooding on the N25 or in the city centre? Any suggestions for a detour if necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Can anybody explain about the Iniscarra dam? Why do they have to release the water? Is it something they do every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

sunnyside wrote: »
    Can anybody explain about the Iniscarra dam? Why do they have to release the water? Is it something they do every day?

The dam can only hold so much water so when levels get too high they have to release it into the lee. They do regularly release water but usualy would do it when water levels are low as not to cause what u can see in the pics above... Slowly all the exits from my estate are flooding. The Sars roundabout...by the scouthall in togher i wonder which route will be next.

Anyone got a boat spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

in the interest of safety to all I think we should all stay at home tomorrow and write hate mail to the French FF ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The dam can only hold so much water so when levels get too high they have to release it into the less. They do regularly release water but usualy would do it when water levels are low as not to cause what u can see in the pics above... Slowly all the exits from my estate are flooding. The Sars roundabout...by the scouthall in togher i wonder which route will be next.

Anyone got a boat spare?

I think you live near me. It's still raining really heavily and I'm really worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Hi guys. Driving from Waterford to Cork tomorrow evening. Also travelling all the way to the Kingsley Hotel so will have to get through the city centre as well. Is there any update on the flooding on the N25 or in the city centre? Any suggestions for a detour if necessary?

Drove from Midleton to the tunnel this morning, about 10am and there was a bit of flooding, mostly in the right hand lanes. It was mainly from the Lakeview roundabout to the Cobh exit. There are some signs in place and have seen traffic cones in place to warn of flooded areas.

I'd imagine it may have gotten worse since then, so best to check out AA's site or tune into one of the radio stations for updates.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I think you live near me. It's still raining really heavily and I'm really worried.

I love this weather to a cetain extent. Its cool seeing strong winds and all the rain but when it actualy starts getting serious it scares the hell out of a lot of people. Oh and im over by the doughcloyne..

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Anyone have any idea what things are like down the Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy/Passage areas. Gotta be in Ringaskiddy for 7 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

cornbb wrote: »
    Is the city centre passable? Western Road, the Quays?

I will return the favour of getting this information by updating the thread while/after I brave the roads :)

Curious about Western Road also. Will be walking in that way in the morning for college.

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what things are like down the Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy/Passage areas. Gotta be in Ringaskiddy for 7 a.m.

Not 100% sure i think i heard something about Carrigaline being flooded. Could be gone by the morning though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Might go flood spotting see if there is any action going on, anyone hear of the underground carpark down in Vic Mills bursting open?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lets hope there isn't a repeat of 2004.

Not 100% sure i think i heard something about Carrigaline being flooded. Could be gone by the morning though.......

Hopefully anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are washinton street,western road areas flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Drove from Midleton to the tunnel this morning, about 10am and there was a bit of flooding, mostly in the right hand lanes. It was mainly from the Lakeview roundabout to the Cobh exit. There are some signs in place and have seen traffic cones in place to warn of flooded areas.

I'd imagine it may have gotten worse since then, so best to check out AA's site or tune into one of the radio stations for updates.

Thanks for that. I'll check again in the morning. It's funny, the last time I took the girlfriend away for a weekend it was to London early this year where the whole place shut down due to heavy snow. Now the floods are threatening to ruin this weekend! Just no luck. :D

• Advertisement

Not according to AA but it hasent been updated since 23:30

*CORK CITY* • The River Lee has burst its banks, Lee Rd, Carrigrohane Rd and Sunday Well Rd should all be avoided. All bridges from Inniscarra to Wellington Bridge are all closed in Cork City. Gardai are appealing to motorists to stay at home and avoid driving. *CORK* West Cork is badly affected: • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd is impassable through Skibereen and Inishannon. • The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd is flooded through Macroom, Crookstown and Cloghdubh. • In Mallow: the N72 Mallow/Killarney Rd is down to one lane at Mallow racecourse. Bridge St in Mallow is closed to implement new flood barriers. Park Rd is also closed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I go to the gym in nrg on the western road,think I might stay a home tomorrow though.

I go to the gym in nrg on the western road,think I might stay a home tomorrow though.

I reckon anyone who can stay at home tomorrow should. Unfortunatly for me I gotta be in Ringaskiddy for 6:30 in the morning:mad:

According to a thread over on the UCC board it is flooded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Léan wrote: »
    Curious about Western Road also. Will be walking in that way in the morning for college.

No you won't|!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Western Road is badly hit by the sound of it.

Here's the thread on the UCC forum, mentions of different places and floods.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055745449

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Gardaí said it'll be getting worse, the tide is turning and it's coming in, and more water's gonna be let through the dam in iniscara. i'm off to sleep, hope my room is dry in the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm living right across from the UCC main gates, and water started coming into the house about an hour ago. There's a good foot or more downstairs. My car will be destroyed and its not fully comp insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I just went down to have a look at the bottom of Donovans road there (front gates of UCC). Its really flooded, fire engines have been going up and down all night. Apparently some places have had to be evacuated. The road is impassable at the moment for normal cars and people (unless you want to get really wet!). There were a bunch of students down there swimming in it!

(bad pics attached from 4.30am)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Everyone in bed??? Lovely bright crisp morning for a brisk walk. Bring the wellies just in case.

Advertisement