Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project LC 2010

Options
  • 16-10-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

The Engineering practical Project for LC 2010 is out. It's a gantry.

Here is the brief, i just got it this afternoon.

1. Introduction
    The global standardisation of containers and container handling technology is one of the important innovations of 20th century freight logistics. Central to this transport environment is the gantry container crane. The gantry container crane generally consists of a supporting gantry structure for a trolley unit. The trolley unit will in turn traverse the working area to locate, raise and lower the container.

Design a model of a gantry container crane to the general specifications outlined:
    (a) The model should have a fixed gantry structure;
    (b) The trolley unit should:
    (i) Be incorporated into the fixed gantry structure;
    (ii) Have the traverse, raise and lower motion controlled by switches.

A model container need not be included in the final solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Sounds very similar to 2007/2008's. Just re-worded.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wats up doc

does it have to spin around or do we just put a steering mechanise on the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

I agree, i was very surprised. its not a bad project though.

does it have to spin around or do we just put a steering mechanise on the wheels

no. its just two legs with a frame across the top. the gantry slides across the frame and raises and lowers the containers from there
    ... as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Our teacher was very pleased with it. Apparently it's a great project to do, unlike last year's toy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 budman159

What does it mean by "fixed gantry structure" though? Does that mean the crane should be stationery or can we mount it on rails or wheels?

i think that the crane must just be able to slide over and back on top of the gantry not the actual gantry move itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jigsaw 1

I have been thinking of this. Anyone else doing the same.
    gantry-crane.jpgm

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

anyone any idea what the ordinary level project is?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Sounds like there's less room for creativity than last years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Ordinary level is a model seaplane. Nice project too.

@ Fixed gantry structure: was wondering does this mean its mounted permanently to the ground or on rails?

All gantry cranes i have looked at are on rails??

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

Just wondering what programs do people use to draw up the projects??
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dayzer

trepasers wrote: »
    Just wondering what programs do people use to draw up the projects??
    Thanks

There is a programme called solidworks dont know were to get it but im sure you will find it if you google it!:D:D:D

dayzer wrote: »
    There is a programme called solidworks dont know were to get it but im sure you will find it if you google it!:D:D:D

You need a code from your school to download it. If you are doing DCG your teacher should tell you where to download it or they should have it on a disk. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wheres wally

what is the best way of moving the hook along the gype of the crane and raising up the crate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wats up doc

what is the best way of moving the hook along the gype of the crane and raising up the crate

shers its very simple i got an A1 two years ago for the crane
    make it easy 4 urself and put a handle stickin out of it so u can pull it over and back. u can then use some baleing twine and tie around the container. than wined up the twine and wrap it around a ratchet . than too lower it u just release it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LANCER96

if you read the brief properly you will find that there isnt any wheels on the gantry it has to be able to pick a container up and drop it

Well in honesty, if you can justify allowing the gantry to move then it could be acceptable. Fixed gantry cranes and moveable gantry cranes aren't that easily defined. One might say that a fixed gantry crane is fully fixed to the ground, but the brief does state that ''the trolley unit will in turn traverse the working area''.

In my opinion the working area of a gantry crane would be the whole deck of the ship it is removing and loading containers from. This would seem to suggest that a fixed gantry crane can move parallel to the ship as well as having the trolley traversing in a perpendicular direction.
    This in my opinion is a 'fixed' type gantry crane.

jigsaw 1 wrote: »
    You need a code from your school to download it. If you are doing DCG your teacher should tell you where to download it or they should have it on a disk. Hope this helps

Thanks for the help lads!!!

• Advertisement

LANCER96 wrote: »
    if you read the brief properly you will find that there isnt any wheels on the gantry it has to be able to pick a container up and drop it

Just wondering does it even have to lift a container??I think the hook just has to be able to go up and down.........

trepasers wrote: »
    Just wondering does it even have to lift a container??I think the hook just has to be able to go up and down.........

Nope, it doesnt have to lift anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

can anyone draw up a sketch of how there going to make the crane move traverse and up and down

yup i have it on a disk got it off me teacher last year! think i need to get the new one! :D:D:D

dayzer wrote: »
    yup i have it on a disk got it off me teacher last year! think i need to get the new one! :D:D:D

The old one is the same as the new one. It just looks a bit better and has a few new features. The old one will do exactly what you need.It is nearly easier to use than the new one.

The old one is the same as the new one. It just looks a bit better and has a few new features. The old one will do exactly what you need.It is nearly easier to use than the new one.

ah i know but its nice to be up to date haha :D

Dayzer do you know how to wire your project so it can do exactly what it sats on the brief

:D
    st3mc92 wrote: »
    Dayzer do you know how to wire your project so it can do exactly what it sats on the brief

im trying to draw up me design as we speak havnt even thought about wireing it up yet!!

havnt a clue bud sorry:confused::confused:

alri nice 1 man does anyone ???

• Advertisement

Havent got a wiring diagram yet but im sure they'll not start appearing until people have the projects well underway.
    Up and down will be a DPDT switch with a geared motor.
    Traversing will be another DPDT switch with two micro switches at both ends as limit switches to stop the trolley moving too far.

Advertisement