Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Thanks Darko and Basquille. I was only thinking this morning, that it may not have been in the IFI recently, might have thrown a few people off!!
    Must go "get" that film again, good show

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

Well folks. I remember a film scaring the bejaysus out of me as a nipper in the eighties. I think it was about various groups of people stumbling across a house in the middle of nowhere and one by one getting killed by things in the house. Very generic I know, but one scene I do remember is when a teddy bear comes to life, grows to about eight foot, and he starts ripping a man to shreds. Any thoughts?

Well folks. I remember a film scaring the bejaysus out of me as a nipper in the eighties. I think it was about various groups of people stumbling across a house in the middle of nowhere and one by one getting killed by things in the house. Very generic I know, but one scene I do remember is when a teddy bear comes to life, grows to about eight foot, and he starts ripping a man to shreds. Any thoughts?

Sounds kinda like The Pit

Sounds kinda like The Pit

Thanks for the reply Darko. I don't think it was this one - I seem to remember the teddy bear belonged to a little girl and it it attacked her father.

Thanks for the reply Darko. I don't think it was this one - I seem to remember the teddy bear belonged to a little girl and it it attacked her father.

Ah, in that case it's Demonic Toys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It was a Indie movie, anyone know what it was called?...heard it was a rather good movie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the woodsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Was watchable, nothing spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Woodsman

He's a paedophile in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

isn't he a method actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Havent seen it, will pick it up if I see it going cheap on DVD. Bacon is easily one of the most underated actors ever - the fact he has never even been nominated for an Oscar is beyond ridiculous. An excellent actor who seems to only get supporting roles these days.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sleepers? Was a pretty big movie at the time, with a lot of star names.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117665/

nm, answered by others, wonder was he typecast after this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

red_ice wrote: »
    isn't he a method actor?

:D:D

wasn't he doing bold stuff in Sleepers also? Durty fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

good tense movie, nothing too shocking but very good performance from Kevin Bacon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

SB-08 wrote: »
    Havent seen it, will pick it up if I see it going cheap on DVD. Bacon is easily one of the most underated actors ever - the fact he has never even been nominated for an Oscar is beyond ridiculous. An excellent actor who seems to only get supporting roles these days.:mad:

He won an Emmy this year for best actor, Taking Chance is an excellent tv movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

A recent movie trailer i saw involved a guy taping black plastic to his doors and windows. It was one of those disease movies (eg carriers/28 days later) where people were been told to stay off the streets. I think his wife or somebody was trying to get into the house. Make sense to anyone?

A recent movie trailer i saw involved a guy taping black plastic to his doors and windows. It was one of those disease movies (eg carriers/28 days later) where people were been told to stay off the streets. I think his wife or somebody was trying to get into the house. Make sense to anyone?

It's Right at Your Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

It's Right at Your Door.

Brilliant. That's been bugging my wife for so long. 6.3 on IMDB. I think i will give it a watch :) Thanks again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Ok this is a toughie.

Spagetti Western, probably made in the late 70's.
    Not sure who stars in it.
    I remember it was set during the winter of colorado or montana or some mountainy place.
    I'm not sure what happened but the hero had killed or wronged some indian tribe and they sent warriors to track and kill him.
    The warriors would always be sent alone.

I remember the hero surviving in the cold, hand to hand fighting when a warrior would track him down. I remember something about an indian burial ground possibly at the end of the film.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dubbed, subtitled or English language? Anyone even vaguely famous in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I did a search on The Spaghetti Western Database, and it sounds like Navajo Joe with Burt Reynolds. Except that it's from 1966, the wronged hero (Burt) is in the Navajo tribe, and the palefaces are the bad guys. How. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Not a a spagetti western if its the one i'm thinking about.
    Based on your description I reckon its Jeremiah Johnson.Was one of my favourites at the time ..............................watched it about 20 times .:D
    An American soldier goes west to escape the Mexican War and becomes a mountain man. He is taken in by an old trapper who teaches him how to survive. After unavoidably violating an Indian burial ground, he loses his new Indian wife and their adopted child to vengeance, and a vendetta between him and the Crows ruins his idyllic life as a fur trapper. Gorgeous scenery and a great role for Will Geer in a thoughtful meditation on the American West.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/

Thanks darko - not this movie but looked on its page and someone mentioned it was similar to Dolls - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092906/
    That was the one! Looks a lot tamer than I remember. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Ok this is a toughie.

Spagetti Western, probably made in the late 70's.
    Not sure who stars in it.
    I remember it was set during the winter of colorado or montana or some mountainy place.
    I'm not sure what happened but the hero had killed or wronged some indian tribe and they sent warriors to track and kill him.
    The warriors would always be sent alone.

I remember the hero surviving in the cold, hand to hand fighting when a warrior would track him down. I remember something about an indian burial ground possibly at the end of the film.

Any ideas?

Defo Jeremiah Johnson as Paddy said.

Great film. Robert Redford is excellent in it.

Thanks darko - not this movie but looked on its page and someone mentioned it was similar to Dolls - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092906/
    That was the one! Looks a lot tamer than I remember. Cheers!

I actually thought about Dolls when I was remembering killer toy films but I don't remember the giant killer teddy bear, must dig out the DVD and give it a rewatch.

how could anyone mistake Jeremiah Johnson for a Spagetti/Pasta western?

Not a a spagetti western if its the one i'm thinking about.
    Based on your description I reckon its Jeremiah Johnson.Was one of my favourites at the time ..............................watched it about 20 times .:D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/

Wow, that has to be it!
    Thanks.

Was thinking it was "The Mountain Men" with Charleston Heston but looking at the screenshots, it just couldn't be.

mike65 wrote: »
    how could anyone mistake Jeremiah Johnson for a Spagetti/Pasta western?
    Filmed during the 70's.
    Set in the wild west.
    Lot's of Indians.
    Lot's of shooting.

I'd classifiy it under Western if I stocked shelves at a movie store.

• Advertisement

Spagettis were Italian backed low budget flicks, usually shot in Spain (hence "Pasta") very few were shot in the USA or had any geniune mainstream stars Robert Redford was one of the most bankable names of Hollywood in the 70s.

Trivia note -

Clint Eastwood (who did make a few Spagettis in his early career) was pencilled in to star in JJ with Sam Peckinpah directing but passed on it. Pity cos that would have been a heck of mix of talents.

Advertisement