Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John_Cultane

I am trying to find out the name of a movie. I think it is about a teenager who decides to run away from home. All I really remember about it is the boy and a friend steal his mothers car and are driving along and can only find old music in the car (Jimi Hendrix) and start speeding along while listening to it. They teenagers are really into Kiss and maybe Styxs. Any ideas on the film?

I am trying to find out the name of a movie. I think it is about a teenager who decides to run away from home. All I really remember about it is the boy and a friend steal his mothers car and are driving along and can only find old music in the car (Jimi Hendrix) and start speeding along while listening to it. They teenagers are really into Kiss and maybe Styxs. Any ideas on the film?

Sounds like Detroit Rock City but it's been awhile since I watched it, may give the DVD a re watch alter tonight.

In future post any details of a film you're looking for in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

was going to say Almost Famous. :) love that movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jab1

yeah i seen transsiberian last year,really liked it. as a previous poster said a little gem,ben kingsley emily mortimer and woody harlesson.woody has been in a few good movies lately seen him in the messenger a few months back was a very good movie,he is in the us army and goes round too inform the families of dead soldiers good movie worth a look.

Sorry neither of those. Pretty sure it is a film actually from the 70s rather than about them. Those films are pretty good all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

just thought of these.

dazed and confused?

sunset strip?

Not them either. The film has lots of music references but isn't about a band as such. It is an old film 30 years old at least. A bit like "Purple Haze" or "Suburbia" so a kind of coming of age film with lots of music as a back drop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wild guess - 'Over the Edge'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Right,I've only seen this a few years ago but can't think of the name at all and google's no help!:(

Anyway,I think it's based in the times of the troubles,and it's about this school,which I think is either Catholic or Protestant and the children who go there get a lot of abuse from the opposing side.
    I remember a bit with the parents bringing the children in and getting stuff thrown at them and the name of the film is also the name of the school(90% sure anyway).

Reading this back it all sounds really vague sorry but I can't think of much else to say about it.:o

Another one aswell,some tv movie from around the 90's I think,about this little girl or boy whos father died and they sent him messages my tieing notes to balloons.I did watch it abroad though but it was in English,so not too sure on this one.

Thanks anyway,please excuse my vagueness and foggy memory.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

storm2811 wrote: »
    Anyway,I think it's based in the times of the troubles,and it's about this school,which I think is either Catholic or Protestant and the children who go there get a lot of abuse from the opposing side.

I remember a bit with the parents bringing the children in and getting stuff thrown at them and the name of the film is also the name of the school(90% sure anyway).

Sounds like it might be .. Children In The Crossfire (1984)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087048/

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Sounds like it might be .. Children In The Crossfire (1984)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087048/

No,that's what people said when I was on about it though.

I'm nearly sure it's the name of the school and I've looked everywhere,nearly sure it was set in that time aswell.

I know it was on rte a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Holy Cross by the BBC from 2003.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Holy Cross by the BBC from 2003.

Yeah that's it,thanks!

Looks really unknown,have to try and find somewhere to buy/watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

ok guys, this is a tough one. a mid 80's film,training montage in martial arts. all i really remember is at the end the hero had to run across wet cement to rescue the damsel in distress.

i think the guy training him could run across water.

it been driving me nuts trying to think of the name but i know there are many on this forum with an almost supernatural memory

soups05 wrote: »
    ok guys, this is a tough one. a mid 80's film,training montage in martial arts. all i really remember is at the end the hero had to run across wet cement to rescue the damsel in distress.

i think the guy training him could run across water.

it been driving me nuts trying to think of the name but i know there are many on this forum with an almost supernatural memory

It has to be Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins.

Skip to 1:35 in the trailer to see the wet cement running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

six mins, it took you only six mins. thats is just amazing.

yes that is the film i was thinking of. i can't belive you knew it from the tiny bit of info. its prob not as good as i remember but at least i know what it was now. thank you so much Darko.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭showmetheway

I remember years ago watching a movie about a different type of vampire, basically they couldn't be killed the traditional way, stake through the heart etc but what could kill them was a blade or sword that you could see your reflection in, it was about 15 to 20 years ago I saw it, I remember in one scene they caught one of the vampires and were experiementing on ways to kill him, anybody know this movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I remember years ago watching a movie about a different type of vampire, basically they couldn't be killed the traditional way, stake through the heart etc but what could kill them was a blade or sword that you could see your reflection in, it was about 15 to 20 years ago I saw it, I remember in one scene they caught one of the vampires and were experiementing on ways to kill him, anybody know this movie?

Not sure, but have a look through this list of Top 70 Vampire Movies and see if any of them ring a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah remo !

god i loved that. pure chesse but great for it.

didnt this have another name this side of the atlantic though? coulda sworn it was called "remo : unarmed and dangerous."

still have to root it out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Sounds a bit like Blade 2

• Advertisement

Sounds a lot like the classic Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

I've been racking my brain for this one. Its an old film but in colour. I think it was Audrey Hepburn but i may be wrong. There is a scene where the woman is in the doctors office and they break into song, i think she says something like 'Oh doctor i do declare' and goes 'My heart goes boom diddy boom' or something along those lines. Its quite a famous scene but i cant for the life of me find it! Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Gaunty wrote: »
    I've been racking my brain for this one. Its an old film but in colour. I think it was Audrey Hepburn but i may be wrong. There is a scene where the woman is in the doctors office and they break into song, i think she says something like 'Oh doctor i do declare' and goes 'My heart goes boom diddy boom' or something along those lines. Its quite a famous scene but i cant for the life of me find it! Any ideas?

is this the song ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKMy15O1tCw

the film is the Millionairess from 1960 with peter sellers and sophia loren

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

bad2dabone wrote: »
    is this the song ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKMy15O1tCw

the film is the Millionairess from 1960 with peter sellers and sophia loren

That's the one! I'd kiss ya if i could! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

Please forgive the ambiguity of the following decription, but the scene has been playing repeatidly on my brain for a while now and i'm yet to figure out what it's from.

The film maybe a comedy or a light hearted action film. Throughout, the protaganist(s) is fearful of his/their lives as two hitmen are hot on their heels for a reason I cannot remember. The hitmen have aquired quite a menacing reputation as their known to take polaroid photographs of their victims after their deaths. Midway or near the movies end the protaganists are caught by said hitmen and driven to a vacant lot. Here it is revealed that the hitmen have never actually killed anyone, but instead thier modus operandi is to merely smear tomota ketchup on their victims and then taking a posed photo, thus faking the deaths of their targets to their boss.

It's not a lot to go on I know, but if you know the film I'm sure the above will instantly click, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Nearly started a new thread for this, completely missed the sticky!!! :rolleyes:

Should be easy enough this one. It is a war movie based in Germany before the collapse of the Berlin wall. Its about a bunch of american soldiers stationed there, basically running amok selling drink, guns, drugs etc. The only other part of the film I can think of is some soldiers get really drunk, drive off in a tank through town, then drive in the petrols pumps at a service station and blow the station and themselves up.
    The film is only about a a couple of years old at the most and I think I may have seen it in the IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nearly started a new thread for this, completely missed the sticky!!! :rolleyes:

Should be easy enough this one. It is a war movie based in Germany before the collapse of the Berlin wall. Its about a bunch of american soldiers stationed there, basically running amok selling drink, guns, drugs etc. The only other part of the film I can think of is some soldiers get really drunk, drive off in a tank through town, then drive in the petrols pumps at a service station and blow the station and themselves up.
    The film is only about a a couple of years old at the most and I think I may have seen it in the IFI.
    Hmm... think that's Buffalo Soldiers billymitchell.

It's Buffalo Soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marmaduke..

hey, this has been playing on me mind for some time now..

Few years ago caught a French film( on TG4 IIRC) about a young police officer from a quiet, rural part of the country who is transfered to a particuarly gritty part of Paris, he has a cool as **** leather jacket
    and is killed in the end
    .. anyway really enjoyed it and have been trying to find it desperatley but the title escapes me...

many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

plissken wrote: »
    Please forgive the ambiguity of the following decription, but the scene has been playing repeatidly on my brain for a while now and i'm yet to figure out what it's from.

The film maybe a comedy or a light hearted action film. Throughout, the protaganist(s) is fearful of his/their lives as two hitmen are hot on their heels for a reason I cannot remember. The hitmen have aquired quite a menacing reputation as their known to take polaroid photographs of their victims after their deaths. Midway or near the movies end the protaganists are caught by said hitmen and driven to a vacant lot. Here it is revealed that the hitmen have never actually killed anyone, but instead thier modus operandi is to merely smear tomota ketchup on their victims and then taking a posed photo, thus faking the deaths of their targets to their boss.

It's not a lot to go on I know, but if you know the film I'm sure the above will instantly click, many thanks.

White Men Cant Jump.

Advertisement