Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co. Councillers Vote to extinguish Doughmore Right of way!!

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

So the decision has been taken to extinguish the existing right of way at Doughmore beach in Doonbeg Co.Clare. Apparantently a majority vote of 18 to 3 by taken by Clare Co. Councillers.

Clare co.council in the pocket of American fat cats or a justified action???
    What do people think??

Incase anyone of the Mods think this has nothing to do with surfing this means that it'll now be @ a 2 mile walk to get to the turf bank from the new proposed access point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

this is retarded anyone i have spoken to who plays golf at doonbeg(admittedly only 5/6 golfers but still) thinks the surfers add to the course not take away from it

there is no reason the golfers and the surfers cant work together

i also fail to see how it can be enforced but iv only been to doonbeg a few times

edit; i thought right of way was protected by national law and not individually on a local level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I believe its vehicle access to the beach thats in question rather than the surfer's footpath.
    ???:confused: Care to explain what exactly you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    I believe its vehicle access to the beach thats in question rather than the surfer's footpath.

???:confused: Care to explain what exactly you mean?

Well you believe incorrectly, it is the pedestrian access a.k.a. the surfers' entrance, that is in question at the centre of the beach which crosses two fairways to access the beach. As for the quote, I think it is fairly self explanatory.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    edit; i thought right of way was protected by national law and not individually on a local level

That I do not know but but there has been a report drafted by the county solicitor which as of yet has not been published regarding the legal issues and the dissenting minority from the council did not wish for a decision to be made pending a judicial review in the high court.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Seems it might only be the vehicle access point judging from that thread? I bloody hope.
    Loctite was it the irish times article you read or did you hear from someone else local about it?

• Advertisement

Reading the irish times article again it defo looks like its the surfers path walkway and not the car access thats being closed but yer man DaveJ seems to be involved in some way and reckons its not the pathway? What a load of balls if it is.

As for the quote, I think it is fairly self explanatory.
    No, it's not self explanatory!

Please elaborate on this question/statement. You must have, what you consider to be, a justifiable reason in order to post this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

can anyone point me a decent article about this so i can read more about it ?

can anyone point me a decent article about this so i can read more about it ?

Clare Champion Friday Sept 25th 2009 second page. Not available on the webpage for some reason only in the print edition.

I don't know where this driving onto the beach has come from, it has never been about that, although, I have heard people saying that prior to the golf course been built that you could drive up where the pedestrian entrance is now. But apart from that the whole issue has been the pedestrian "Surfers Entrance".

As for Co.Councillers' in Fat cat pockets, I find it very suspicious that a resounding number of councillers voted in favour of this action when they do not know the legal outcome or consequences of what they are doing. I.e. the legal report has not yet been published, the judicial review is due from the high court, but yet they are trying to make a decison in disregard of what the legal stance maybe....

Why would they do such a thing unless they are being lobbied by the golf course, they are the only group to benefit from closing the right of way.

In Lehinch last night and nobody knew about it either... going to have to organise a protest at the site I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

if ur organising a protest loctite i suggest you do so from the road as opposed to the golf course
    rest assured if you trespass on the course you'll be up in court within 48 hours

• Advertisement

I wouldn't make any protests at this stage. The local surf club is looking into this and to date the relationship between them and the golf club has been good.

A protest from surfers (regardless of being club members or not) will only have a negative effect upon this working relationship and cause a deterioration or break-down in communication between both the surf & golf club.

Antagonizing golf club members/hotel will achieve nothing and provide no incentive to deal with this matter reasonably.
    I'd simply let the local surf club deal with the matter. If you wish to do something then contact/join the surf club and make yourself available that way.

It was because of this local club's efforts which secured the footpath in the first place which all surfers has benefited.

It was because of this local club's efforts which secured the footpath in the first place which all surfers has benefited.

Fistly, this right of way existed far before the golf club existed
    Secondly, Surfers represented a minority at any of the meetings which were held in Doonbeg, and WCSC members an even smaller minority. If this working relationship is so good then how come we are still losing the right of way.
    This access had remained due to the actions of all concerned parties, Surfers (be they club affiliated or not), walkers, locals, and councillers etc. Not just the WCSC.

Why not organise a protest? What are they going to do. Block off the public beach completely?? They have already voted to close off pedestrian access, it can't really get that much worse.

As for the tresspassing, AFAIK if you are crossing private land to engage in an outdoor activity such as surfing, you are called a recreational user and penalties of tresspass do not apply, I stand to be corrected on this. (Occupiers Liability Act)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Dont get me wrong, im for keeping the right of way but as it stands most locals dont walk through the golf club at the minute, when they walk the beach the usually park in the car park at the side of the beach and i dont think its going to be 2 mile walk to the bank are the not making a new right of way and carpark for 40 cars?wont get to read the champion till tomorrow so sorry if thats wrong

Christ, i know that this is no doubt a very complicated issue and its not black & white but the basic concept of what is happening here is just so ridiculous.

That some person can come along and decide to build a golf course on a beachfront is fine but for that person to then try and heavily restrict access to said beach is absolutely scandalous. They are the ones who should be pandering to the beach users wishes and not the other way around. What a load of bullsh%t :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

glad to say we don't put up with this kind of **** in cork

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2006/07/19/story8664.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Dont we??

Fantastic, il just head over to the old head for a walk so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Dont we??

what can i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

Dont we??

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Decos wrote: »
    That some person can come along and decide to build a golf course on a beachfront is fine but for that person to then try and heavily restrict access to said beach is absolutely scandalous. They are the ones who should be pandering to the beach users wishes and not the other way around. What a load of bullsh%t :mad:

fact is the beach IS more accessable since the golf club and more locals than ever before use it.before the golf club the only access was through a farmers field and he used to keep a big bull in there.the golf club have built 2 carparks(ok 1 is tiny and only holds a couple of car) but if the right of way is moved they plan to build a new carpark for 40 cars.

i use the beach regularly myself for surfing and walking and have absolutely no problem with the golf club. Some people go way overboard,create a big fuss over nothing. Some people are only happy when complaining or protesting about something

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

:D:D:D

And all the protesting that went on before hand too! God that really did a power of good.

Leave it to be dealt with by people with tact instead of standing round shouting and creating even larger divides to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bearlahinch

A little history .
    When this issue came up originally,before the golf club bought the land the WCSC tried to raise support to keep a public right of way. There was no support from any politicians or others. The WCSC decided to go their own way with a group of locals and got a right of way agreed in court. This was theoretically for the exclusive use of the WCSC and those locals. This exclusivity was never enforced and is now to be made public officially.
    The closure is vehicle access from the cross roads and a new car park is to be built in the area of the current small car park. We have to get this in writing yet. This is the latest position from the meeting with the golf club and their solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

The closure is vehicle access from the cross roads and a new car park is to be built in the area of the current small car park. We have to get this in writing yet. This is the latest position from the meeting with the golf club and their solicitors.

But there is still access from the main golf club entrance and cars can still park in the car park at the moment, right?

I still want to see Loctite protesting though!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Give us back that spoon cecil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bearlahinch

The entrance at the Southern end from the main car park is also still there and has never been an issue since it first went in. However the real issue has been the centre of the beach.
    We previously lost the entrance at the North end across the Bermingham's land-- that was many years ago, they were impossible to deal with and the surf club was in a bad state at the time. The surf club active involvement in the access at the middle of the beach goes back 20 years-- long before the present golf club bought the land.The WCSC fought it for the club but meant it on behalf of all surfers.

With bells on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lilian

I used this access twice , and I don't see any good reasons why this is so much of the bother for golfers to have surfers crossing the golf course !:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Lilian wrote: »
    I used this access twice , and I don't see any good reasons why this is so much of the bother for golfers to have surfers crossing the golf course !:confused:

I greeted one with a nod and a smile last week as I was crossing and he seemed pretty miffed. Must have had a bad shot as I wasn't holding up play! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Haven't had any bad experiences with the ones at Doughmore. One group was kind enough to wait a moment and wave me on, when they saw that I was doing the same. Some golfers certainly can be a miffy lot... I've had "tense" moments with a few in Connemara. I guess you could say the same about surfers though ;) I'm glad to see the WCSC is engaging them and vice-versa though. That can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Myself and my surf buddy who is female were getting changed at the back of the car. A staff member from the golf course pulled up in a golf cart and proceeded to film my female friend getting undressed.

I asked him what he thought he was doing and I was told where to go. In general I have not had any major problems with members of the golf club or their staff, but I have witnessed several, such as members trying to hit surfers with balls when crossing the course, missing and putting down another ball to have another go.

But, regardless of whether this right of way is closed or not, surfers are not going to stop crossing the course at this point. I can easily say I echo the sentiments of a significant group of surfers and beach users within the IMMEDIATE (for you WCSC members from further north) locality, who are not going to change their ways. Short of putting landmines on the course nothing is going to change.

Advertisement