Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback thread - Nature and birdwatching forum

Options
  • 08-09-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Its been a few months since i started to help out modding this forum and i would like to thank everyone for their contributions and also i would like to say a big thanks to boneless who also has been doing a great job modding before and during my time here.

As regulars may be aware the forum is a great source for nature and bird lovers and i would like to know does anybody think that there is anything we could do to improve the forum? Any suggestions and feedback is welcome and i guess we can all see where we can go from there.

Thanks for your time and input.

Mods.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's difficult to identify any improvements to the forum - one of the few on the Boards where people rarely attack each - a peaceful oasis which is just as it should be. Keep up the good work everybody and I love the photo contributions! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I really like visiting this forum. It's full of quality posts from a variety of great contributors. I was going to upload some footage of badger activity from County Tipperary to youtube and post a series here, but unfortuantely I seem to have lost the casettes (which are over 11 years old now).

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I love the forum and really appreciate the chance to comment.
    Only thing I would think about is the number of sticky threads. They make it hard to see the new posts of the day. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I don't think its busy enough to warrant changing anything
    Maybe a sticky about Irish Humming Birds ;)

One possibility that i'll air is to have dedicated threads, say one for Badger, one for dragonfies, fox etc and a single sticky giving links to each of these threads.
    It does create housekeeping work, but then all of the one subject is together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Mothman wrote: »

One possibility that i'll air is to have dedicated threads, say one for Badger, one for dragonfies, fox etc and a single sticky giving links to each of these threads.

That dosn sound like a bad idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yeah, I think this thread is great too. Well done.
    Although I wouldn't agree with breaking it up to such precise sub-threads as dragonflies, foxes, etc., I would suggest breaking it into 'Birds', 'Mammals' and 'Others' perhaps ...

Connacht wrote: »
    Yeah, I think this thread is great too. Well done.
    Although I wouldn't agree with breaking it up to such precise sub-threads as dragonflies, foxes, etc., I would suggest breaking it into 'Birds', 'Mammals' and 'Others' perhaps ...
    If you mean breaking the forum into sub forums, no I wouldn't be on for that at all and it wasn't meant in my suggestion.

I'm just seeing how the moth thread has evolved and think that there could be similar threads for some other families/animals. I did suggest a sticky having links to these threads, though usually I don't "see" stickies so it doesn't really work for the likes of me :)
    I'm happy with the way this palce is and my suggestion has had one yea and one neigh, so probably makes little odds whether implimented or not.

There is a reason that "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" is a good saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Mothman wrote: »

Good idea; I actually did that with my own forum, using the tagging system to create an Index thread that makes finding other threads much easier. It took me a few hours to rummage through the archives and tag things, but it was worth it in the end.

Furet wrote: »
    Good idea; I actually did that with my own forum, using the tagging system to create an Index thread that makes finding other threads much easier. It took me a few hours to rummage through the archives and tag things, but it was worth it in the end.
    That is superb and I think perfect for here as well.
    It allows the forum to continue as is which is just fine, but all related threads are 2 clicks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This is a forum that I visit on an almost daily basis & I find it an oasis of calm in the madness that is boards.ie. :)

I heartily agree with Mothman & the others that maybe stickied threads covering broad topics would be good as the could become easy reference points for forum users.

With regards to improvements to the forum - it would help if perhaps the forum mods had a "vision" as to what this forum really wants to be. For example, is it just for boardsies to ask questions about & discuss nature topics or do you want the forum to reach a wider interweb audience & become a one-stop-shop for all things related to Irish nature & wildlife?
    (The above may be a bit more than you were possibly considering at this time, but I thought I'd throw it out there.)

On a smaller scale, a maybe a couple of stickied threads (info only - no chat) ...
    Links & Contacts with details of Irish nature & wildlife organisations.
    Events where forum users (& reps of the above mentioned organisations?) could post details of relevant forthcoming events. For example, I live near Skerries & Fingal Co Co regularly run (depending on the season), say, "dawn chorus" walks around Ardgillan Castle, bird-watching walks to Shenick Island off the coast, etc. I forget to post these details up, but a sticky may remind me.

That's all for now - best of luck & keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think the forum is working very well. Generally threads keep to topic and there is very little aggravation or serious dispute. It's good natured (sorry no pun intended) and informative.
    I would, if anything, reduce the number of Stickies as they take up most of the screen. Some like the Eagle Petition could be left for a while and then removed (already it has started to lose it's way a bit). The Pictures should stay permanently but the Bird Watching and Conserving Nature have, I think, outlived their intented function. These and the likes of the Bat Issue phone number could be put together on a contacts thread but it would have to be purely for contact details and not comments.
    Overall an excellent forum which shouldn't be spiled by too many changes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi all,

I don't post at all on boards these days, but do lurk a bit.

The only thing I could suggest is a meet or three, maybe having seasonal outings with some resident boffins offering to lead a walk or outing in a locality that's familiar to them. Nothing formal and no lectures or anything.

I know a good bit of the south east but am not really in a position to talk authoritatively on a lot of wildlife subjects but I could be of help as regards photography, processing photos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I think the forum is working very well. Generally threads keep to topic and there is very little aggravation or serious dispute. It's good natured (sorry no pun intended) and informative.
    I would, if anything, reduce the number of Stickies as they take up most of the screen. Some like the Eagle Petition could be left for a while and then removed (already it has started to lose it's way a bit). The Pictures should stay permanently but the Bird Watching and Conserving Nature have, I think, outlived their intented function. These and the likes of the Bat Issue phone number could be put together on a contacts thread but it would have to be purely for contact details and not comments.
    Overall an excellent forum which shouldn't be spiled by too many changes. :)

I would have to agree wit Princess Breezy Dealership. One 'announcement' sort of sticky for the bat number, eagle petition etc. Keep the photo's where they are. Even if a sticky was left up for a couple of weeks and then move to said 'announcements' (or whatever it would be called) sticky.

the stickies, including this one, are still taking up half the screen

and the last post on any of them, including this thread before I replied, seems to be about two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

stickied

Any chance of reducing the number of stickies as they take up half the screen? Some haven't been added to in 6 months or even a year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Any chance of reducing the number of stickies as they take up half the screen? Some haven't been added to in 6 months or even a year.:)

thats definitly going to be looked into so it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

What about if all bird ID threads went into one sticky? Could result in a nice large collection of photos and information.

Everybody asking to reduce stickies tho...:o

oh please God

Free the Stickies.

Let the stickiless revolt spread throughout messageboard land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

1. I think the modding should be left to the Mods. I have seen some threads descend in to farce when mere mortals try some back seat modding.

2. It can be off putting if people innocently ask a question and are answered in a 'know all' sort of way. We all know Google exists, but wouldn't the world be a boring place if there was no more interaction and we all become holed up Comic Book Guy style? The beauty of this thread is the general chat that goes on, and sharing of knowledge, but it is in danger of becoming like the rest of Boards. People should not be afraid to ask a question.

3. When someone asks for a bird to be identified, once there are enough replies establishing the identity, there is no need for someone to come on two days later and say 'Yes, it's a Sparrowhawk' as if they are giving their stamp of approval to the thread. They obviously have no idea how condescending it comes across.

That's my two cents, hope I haven't offended anyone!

I doubt you have offended anybody by giving what appears to be honest views with the intention of improving the boards.
    I would just disagree slightly on point no. 3. More often than not there is some confusion as to what the identy of a bird may be. Yes, a majority may settle on something but it may not be correct. I don't like people coming in weeks later with a comment but I think a few days is ok. Many people may not be able to ge on-line for a few days and I know that I put great weight behind the opinions of some posters here. I have often not got the correct answer - despite several others agreeing on the wrong one - until some of the more informed members have joined in the discussion.
    Just for what it's worth...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think Srameen and Mothman are top blokes (presumably :pac:) and I think their posts along with other 'experts' really make this forum worth while.

Furet wrote: »

I really like this idea and I'm going to to this here. It'll take a while...something like 1000 threads :eek:
    Tags will be added to each thread. As I go back further I'll ignore small threads and add only tags to the worthy threads.

The stickied thread issue is noted.

excellent work. Thank you.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Events where forum users (& reps of the above mentioned organisations?) could post details of relevant forthcoming events. For example, I live near Skerries & Fingal Co Co regularly run (depending on the season), say, "dawn chorus" walks around Ardgillan Castle, bird-watching walks to Shenick Island off the coast, etc. I forget to post these details up, but a sticky may remind me.
    An Events thread has been started.
    Post feedback here

I'd like feedback on changing thread titles, in particular with identification threads and correct answer is given.

For example I changed the title of this thread

And for this thread It makes sense to me to change it to Blackcap (Was - Anyone know what this is ?)

Are there any good reasons not to change them?

Cheers
    MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Spot on Mothman! I find keep myself dipping into threads with vague titles only to find I've already read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I read more than what I write and I am pretty new to birdwatching. But I want to use this opportunity to highlight this phorum. It is a pleasure to visit it and most of the collaborations here are fantastic.

If there is something that really helped me and encouraged me into this hobbie is reading this phorum.

It is one of the most enjoyable phorums that I have ever participated on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I really like this forum and have learned alot from it too. I love the way the moth thread has evolved, If I come across a moth I don't recognise it has become a reference for me. the dragon & damsel flies thread is also smashing. great to see all the different types together.

Keep it up boardies ;)

Advertisement