Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newts (was - What is this? A lizard?)

Options
  • 09-09-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Just found this now outside on the patio, extremely small.....had a flash back to Thailand! Didn't think these types of creatures could survive here. All info appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Thats a newt, protected species, please, return him to a pond,.

more details below..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_Newt

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

artieanna wrote: »
    Thats a newt, protected species, please, return him to a pond,.

more details below..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_Newt

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought for a minute that I may have some exotic species at hand.

We are not near a pond, nor is there one close by, he's been put back in the garden from whence he came...probably living in a ditch nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The newts in my garden have left the pond. Similar to frogs, they spend much of their life out of ponds. A few nights ago I was looking around the garden at night and I was surprised to find quite a few newts up amongst vegetation, mainly a clump of raspberries. Some were near the top a metre above the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

can you pm me where you live because i am taking part in the Irish Wildlife Trust Newt Survey and this information would be very handy. only 4 counties are included this year, Dublin, Wicklow, Meath and Galway. I know you are in wicklow mothman. If you email the IWT its Kieran Flood who is the guy who needs the info. enquiries@iwt.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I logged a smooth newt in Kildare on biology.ie last month if that's any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I had 3 in living in my polytunnel last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I have them in my garden Baltinglass Wicklow. I have never seen adults around, but I have newt tadpoles in my ponds so they must be around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Pm'd you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman wrote: »
    The newts in my garden have left the pond. Similar to frogs, they spend much of their life out of ponds. A few nights ago I was looking around the garden at night and I was surprised to find quite a few newts up amongst vegetation, mainly a clump of raspberries. Some were near the top a metre above the ground.
    Finally got round uploading a photo of one. This one on a Raspberry Cane at night.
    DD72614F7A2C41E58E571176E8DDB77B-0000317152-0001930520-00800L-B1276DB04E5F46FBA4F6A3A9E18654C4.jpg

Advertisement