Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid to smash old habits with safer pint glass

Options
  • 24-08-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭

Brit Nanny state strikes again :rolleyes:

Would you be happy to drink out of plastic glasses in your local?
    I can't say I would, glass is just nicer.

Indo wrote:
    TIME is being called on the traditional beer glass as Britain's Home Office calls in experts to develop a safer pint pot. The move follows growing concern at the number and extent of injuries caused in violent incidents involving glassware each year.

Over the next four months a team of designers will produce a range of drinking vessels that are not only a safer pint glass but, crucially, find favour with the public.

Although there is confidence that the designers can produce a safer glass, the key problem is overcoming the drinkers' attachment to the traditional pint glass.

Sebastian Conran, who heads the Home Office's Design and Technology Alliance Against Crime, said: "There are existing plastic glasses and if you go to a baseball game in the United States you can buy beer in a paper cup.

"People are quite used to drinking beer out of plastic and paper things but there is a feeling that in public it is a traditional thing to drink beer out of a glass."

Mr Conran said that reducing the estimated 87,000 injuries caused every year by glassware is the key behind the initiative. "We want to find something that will end the situation where shards of glass can inflict quite horrible injuries," he added.

Designers have been asked to look at four specific areas as they develop the next generation of pint glasses: adding a new feature to the glass material that provides safety when it is broken; developing a composite or alternative material; ensuring that plastic and polycarbonate is at the core of any new vessel; and making sure that the new material makes no difference to the consumer's enjoyment of the drink. (© The Times, London)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've drank out of flimsy plastic glasses before and they were utter shíte. Pint glasses are the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heavy metal tankards ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

The lads tell me Guinness tastes ****e out of a plastic glass

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Drank out of plastic at many festivals and football matches. No biggie.

EDIT - Not Guinness, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

plastic and paper containers makes drink taste muck, if the boffins can't come up with a better solution we shall have to shove pint glasses in their faces for failing us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Years back i was on holidays in Spain and i accidentally throw over a glass on the bar.
    The glas was real glass and went into hundreds of pieces. Just like a car window.
    Hard to "glass" someone with that i suppose.

So the solution is there already. No need for plastic, it only makes your drink taste ****e, easier to spill if the plastic is a bit weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd have no problem drinking out of nice hard plastic pint sized cups, but those cheap things that can be squeezed are a nightmare.

I'd say barstaff would love them to be introduced as there'd be no broken glass to clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Over the next four months a team of designers will produce a range of drinking vessels that are not only a safer pint glass but, crucially, find favour with the public.
    The problem there is all they want is a more deadly weapon. If only they could find a way of making the glass deadly without breaking it and consequently making it useless for drinking out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I'd say barstaff would love them to be introduced as there'd be no broken glass to clean up.

Blah blah blah *some self righteous sh1te about the environment, get back onto high horse bicycle and goes back to mansion in D4* blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem there is all they want is a more deadly weapon. If only they could find a way of making the glass deadly without breaking it and consequently making it useless for drinking out of.
    couldn't ya stab someone with broken plastic anyway????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

People are quite used to drinking beer out of plastic and paper things but there is a feeling that in public it is a traditional thing to drink beer out of a glass.

He neglects to mention that said people are not given a choice and bitch and moan about the fact too. If plastic was brought in and enforced I think I'd stop going over to Liverpool on piss ups.
    Anyway what are they going to do about bottles of beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I always find I finish the pint quicker out of a flimsey plastic pint container as my grip on the container squeezes it in a bit, therefore tipping a little extra into my mouth when I take a swig.

Pint plastic containers everywhere will make people drink more and drink quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

ShooterSF wrote: »
    He neglects to mention that said people are not given a choice and bitch and moan about the fact too. If plastic was brought in and enforced I think I'd stop going over to Liverpool on piss ups.
    Anyway what are they going to do about bottles of beer?

Take them down and pass them around?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They're not talking about using flimsy plastics like you do infestivals. They're talking about trying to create something that's close to a glass, but made out of plastic. They'll be sturdy and won't shatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

anyone ever break a toughened glass window? V hard to break ans if you do they shatter into hundreds of lil pieces without sharp edges, like marbles, so why no just use toughened glass? Harder to break and no sharps, ie no one being glassed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

anyone ever break a toughened glass window? V hard to break ans if you do they shatter into hundreds of lil pieces without sharp edges, like marbles, so why no just use toughened glass? Harder to break and no sharps, ie no one being glassed

I'd imagine the cost would be astronomical and also one of those over the head and you're liable to knock somebody out. It's a case of 6 in 1 and half a dozen in the other there.

The club I work in has been open around 10 years now and I only know of one glassing incident. A girl glassed a guy for no reason at all. In the UK it seems like outside every club every Friday, Saturday and Sunday somebody gets glassed.

To be honest the biggest problem we have with glasses is running out of the buggers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Magnus wrote: »
    Heavy metal tankards ftw

I always preferred classic rock tankards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

humanji wrote: »
    They're not talking about using flimsy plastics like you do infestivals. They're talking about trying to create something that's close to a glass, but made out of plastic. They'll be sturdy and won't shatter.
    They'll shatter the environment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I always preferred classic rock tankards.

do they have that on spinal tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I saw a girl standing right next to me get glassed in a club in England Id drink out of plastic glasses any day to stop that. It was horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

inforfun wrote: »
    Years back i was on holidays in Spain and i accidentally throw over a glass on the bar.
    The glas was real glass and went into hundreds of pieces. Just like a car window.
    Hard to "glass" someone with that i suppose.

Hold one and break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I'm against getting rid of the real glasses - I'd have nothing to throw at Glen 'Fcuking' Hansard or Damien 'Fcuking' Rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd settle for a pint glass that gave me full pint of beer. It's amazing how you can fill a pint glass (568ml) with a 500ml can. That's more than 11% of a pint missing. Robbing barstewards. Make the container out of recycled newspapers coated in beeswax if you like, just stop ripping me off you fukkers. :mad:

ROI only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

DigiGal wrote: »
    The lads tell me Guinness tastes ****e out of a plastic glass

guinness tastes ****e out of everything :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I worked in a pub with really hard plastic cups instead of pint glasses fro some events. They really effect the taste and don't last very long either. If you have ever seen plastic discoloured or damaged by sunlight you might get the idea of what can happen.

Some scientists also think the chemicals in plastic are harmful if ingested and that happens when plastic containers are reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

First they do it to our milk and now this :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Long Onion wrote: »
    I'm against getting rid of the real glasses - I'd have nothing to throw at Glen 'Fcuking' Hansard or Damien 'Fcuking' Rice
    Plastic cup full of piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ScumLord wrote:
    They'll shatter the environment though.
    So? When's the last time mother nature did anything for us? It's about time we smashed a glass in her face...oh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hagar wrote: »
    I'd settle for a pint glass that gave me full pint of beer. It's amazing how you can fill a pint glass (568ml) with a 500ml can. That's more than 11% of a pint missing.

only if you don't pour it properly and end up with lots of head...

Holland are the worse for that, half a pint of head:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've heard head is easy to come by in Holland alright

Advertisement