Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-02-2010, 15:05   #61
nordydan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2 View Post
A few auld ones would be scared of using the escalators. There has to be an alternative.
There a lot of non-auld people who are afraid of escalators. Not sure why but there you go!
Advertisement
16-02-2010, 19:35   #62
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
Nice. But I wish they'd realise that NOONE will use the stairs and everyone will use the escalators.
Ridiculous. The stairs in T1 is used all the time.
Thanks from:
17-02-2010, 01:27   #63
mysterious
Banned

I hope they don't put those ****ing naked radiation cattle scanning scanners in this airport.

Utter disgrace that is and would turn me off the arcitecture of the Airport and even flying if they dare make me go through one of those things. I will not allow myself to be treated like that. Nor do I want to endanger my health so airport security can see whats in my pants. I mean it would be guess work whats in my pants. But ya know.

Who volunteers to strip at security point? They want our naked bodies, let them see it?
17-02-2010, 01:30   #64
mysterious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonic View Post
Ridiculous. The stairs in T1 is used all the time.
What is the world coming too, when people are worried over using the stairs to the esculater. This is a classic example as to how ****ed we have become in society..

OMG i now have a pain in my head that i want to make it go away.

Go away headache. But I do agree about the stairs most sane people don't give a elf about using the stairs. It's lazyness that I have a problem with.
Thanks from:
17-02-2010, 21:02   #65
Chris_5339762

The full body scanners work off backscatter x-rays and give you the same radiation dose as being on a standard flight for two minutes.
Advertisement
17-02-2010, 22:08   #66
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
What is the world coming too, when people are worried over using the stairs to the esculater. This is a classic example as to how ****ed we have become in society..

Go away headache. But I do agree about the stairs most sane people don't give a elf about using the stairs. It's lazyness that I have a problem with.
17-02-2010, 22:47   #67
etchyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post

Thanks from:
17-03-2010, 12:00   #68
Plowman

Check out this excellent video about Pier E!
Apparently it's almost as long as O'Connell St. There are 2 levels for departing passengers, and 1 for arriving passengers.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/T2_PierE.html

It's not Youtube, so I don't know how to embed it, sorry. Thanks to the Skyscrapercity folks for the link.
(2) thanks from:
01-04-2010, 19:17   #69
Plowman

Just saw this on the Six One this evening and thought I'd add it to the thread.
Quote:
400 jobs to be created in T2 retail outlets
Thursday, 1 April 2010 15:49

The Dublin Airport Authority says at least 400 new retail jobs will be created when Terminal 2 opens later this year.

The new positions will be mostly in retail, with up to 40 outlets - including shops, restaurants and bars - provided in the new terminal.

The outlets include House of Ireland, bookseller WHSmith, Irish fashion group Azure, Swatch and cosmetics company Jo Malone.

These five retailers will be joined by about 25 other operators in T2 when the new terminal opens in November.

The DAA says that the awarding of retail contracts for Terminal 2 is done through a tender process that started last year.

The main retail area within the terminal will be the international departures lounge.

T2 will contain about 9,000sq.m of retail and food outlets.

Each of the new companies in T2 has agreed to pay the DAA a concession fee based on a percentage of annual sales rather than a fixed annual rent.
Link
Advertisement
02-04-2010, 02:00   #70
crushproof

Send a message via MSN to crushproof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowman View Post
Just saw this on the Six One this evening and thought I'd add it to the thread. Link
WHSmith? Thought Easons got the contract for airport book shops?
02-04-2010, 07:58   #71
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushproof View Post
WHSmith? Thought Easons got the contract for airport book shops?
The existing ones (ex Hughes&Hughes) in T1 are / will be Eason.

WHS are in Ireland already - in Shannon.
02-04-2010, 08:22   #72
zootroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowman View Post
Check out this excellent video about Pier E!
Apparently it's almost as long as O'Connell St. There are 2 levels for departing passengers, and 1 for arriving passengers.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/T2_PierE.html

It's not Youtube, so I don't know how to embed it, sorry. Thanks to the Skyscrapercity folks for the link.
Looks good, glad to see they've got airbridges, and it's good they're segregating arriving and departing passengers. The last time I flew into Dublin was last November, I had to walk down the steps from the plane in the rain, across the tarmac to the terminal, and once inside, try get past people who were waiting to fly somewhere. Looks very unprofessional, and doesn't create a good first impression of Ireland. Hopefully this will help change that.
02-04-2010, 11:40   #73
Plowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootroid View Post
Looks good, glad to see they've got airbridges, and it's good they're segregating arriving and departing passengers. The last time I flew into Dublin was last November, I had to walk down the steps from the plane in the rain, across the tarmac to the terminal, and once inside, try get past people who were waiting to fly somewhere. Looks very unprofessional, and doesn't create a good first impression of Ireland. Hopefully this will help change that.
True. Pier D is nice besides the lack of airbridges. A and B (the roundy ones) are old and messy and ideally should be rebuilt like D and E, imho. Let's build the second runway first though!
02-04-2010, 12:10   #74
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
The full body scanners work off backscatter x-rays and give you the same radiation dose as being on a standard flight for two minutes.
Yes, and there are qualified radiologists who have stated that there is no safe amount of x-ray exposure for women of reproductive age.

But leaving that aside, there have been no clinical studies of the effects of either backscatter scanners or those using terahertz rays. The latter is a real worry as they are quite literally just 'guessing' they are safe because their safety has only been determined by extrapolation from other electromagnetic frequencies for which there is data.

However that extrapolation has already been thrown into doubt by researchers at Los Alamos National laboratories who have suggested that terahertz frequencies might have a resonance effect in relation to DNA and can tear it apart - something the previous guesses and extrapolations never predicted.

http://medgadget.com/archives/2010/0...echnology.html

Any parent who has children might have cause for concern about these technologies.:

Quote:
A Heathrow Airport security guard was given a police warning after he was allegedly caught staring at images of a female colleague in a body scanner.
The 25-year-old worker was quizzed by police over alleged remarks he made to his co-worker after she entered a scanner by mistake.
The incident took place at Terminal 5 on 10 March.
I do have sympathies for this man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srH5-siea3Q

Last edited by cnocbui; 02-04-2010 at 12:21.
02-04-2010, 12:19   #75
irishdub14
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootroid View Post
What happened to the Pier D airbridges, the plan was to have like 12 airbridges or something....!!?? They've kind of ruined Pier D by not putting them in, it may as well be Pier A.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion