Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Jayuu wrote: »
    The US immigration control will be a huge advantage in Terminal 2 as well.
    Lets face it, nobody minds doing all that stuff at the start of the journey when you're all excited about going away as opposed to the other side when you're tired and you just want to get to your destination.

Also means that if they reject you ye just not allowed to board the flight, when you get rejected after arriving in US you can be treated like your an escapee from GITMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

runway16 wrote: »
    Security regulations require that departing and arriving passengers do not mix in the airside portion of the terminal (ie beyond security control). AMSTERDAM gets away with it, like Pier A in Dublin, because it is an older design, but no new facility can allow it.

The only point in T2 where they will mix is landside, after the 1st escalator up from check in, where the departing pax will quickly ascend to the next level, so it is not an issue in this case.

I noticed that when I arrived in the newly built Barcelona Terminal 2 earlier this year that both arriving and departing passengers mixed freely airside.

How can they be allowed to do this if these are the regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't see what the problem is with changing levels, up and down an escalator a couple of times what is the problem?

Your point about intersecting Departing and Arriving passengers is wrong. This happens in major international airports quite often, Schiphol being a perfect example.
    Don't see the problem with it. Departing people are heading for their gates and arrivees are heading for baggage/passport control. Do not see how it will cause a problem.

The problem is that all of these flaws were built into a brand new terminal..The passenger experience is compromised for no reason..All public spaces, especially of this scale, have to be as simple as possible to allow for maximum efficiency and ease of use.
    People may not mind changing levels a few times but think of the amount of extra energy required to move 7.5 million people over 5 levels instead of none.It means higher electricity bills/carbon emissions for no reason, but an architect who wanted a bridge.
    Why would you have 20,000 people milling through another 20,000 people a day just to get to their pier?Think of how much space the arrivals hall in T1 uses.Filled with people waiting for relatives etc.Now think of all those people crammed into a smaller place (between two escalators) with 20,000 people rushing by on either side.It is bad public space design.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

KC61 wrote: »
    I noticed that when I arrived in the newly built Barcelona Terminal 2 earlier this year that both arriving and departing passengers mixed freely airside.

How can they be allowed to do this if these are the regulations?

Believe it or not, there is no common standard on this even within the EU.

Ireland and the UK do not allow arrivals and departures to mix, the only exception being in buildings which cannot be physically adapted to accomodate these rules. (I.e Pier A)

The Dutch aviation security authority also does not allow it, but due to the design of Schiphol airport, they have no option but to allow it. Any entirely newly built Terminal at Schiphol will comply with the newer standard.

The case of Barcelona is strange, it being a new build terminal. It is accepted in airport design, regardless of national rules, that seperating arrivals and departures is the optimum choice, so I am at a loss as to why a new build terminal allows this. Spanish regulations obviously do not insist on seperation of the two, but I would be of the opinion it should be incorporated anyway, especially when you have the luxury of starting from scratch.

The reason for this regulation (where its enforced) is the logic that arriving passengers may be coming from a country where the security regime is not consistent with that of the departing country, and thus arriving passengers could interact with departing passengers and pass contraband or prohibited articles to them. At least that's the theory!

Also, I am talking about seperation of passengers on the AIRSIDE portion of the terminal only (ie the areas not open to the general public - just passengers).

Landside, of course all passengers can mix in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Passengers in Malpensa can mingle airside also, if they're going to-from another airport in Schengen zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

runway16 wrote: »
    The Dutch aviation security authority also does not allow it, but due to the design of Schiphol airport, they have no option but to allow it.
    Allow what? All security screening in Schipol takes place at the gate and every passenger is screened. Once screened, those passengers have no contact with unscreened passengers.

In Dublin T2, arriving and departing passengers will not mix.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not? It's a pretty easy airport to get in and out of, no means perfect, for me some walks to gates, especially Aer Lingus' is very long, and they often don't have enough Immigration Police on the desks, leading to longer queues than there should be, but apart from that it's a nice airport, that works, and is generally pleasant to be in.

Its the decentralised security that is the bit I'd never want to see.

First time I went through I didn't know about that and was paranoid that I'd somehow snuck in past the bag screening!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Yea! I've read this article already and the "controversial" bit annoyed me. It never actually explains why! I reckon the hack journalist thought they'd throw that word in just to spice it up a bit.
    eia340600 wrote: »
    The problem is that all of these flaws were built into a brand new terminal..The passenger experience is compromised for no reason..All public spaces, especially of this scale, have to be as simple as possible to allow for maximum efficiency and ease of use.
    People may not mind changing levels a few times but think of the amount of extra energy required to move 7.5 million people over 5 levels instead of none.
    I'm not sure it's clear that any of what you're saying there is actually the case in T2. As for energy efficiency, would you go way out of that - we're mainly talking about people's legs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

What are they building in front of the new terminal?
    Multistory car park?

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    What are they building in front of the new terminal?
    Multistory car park?

Yes, there also planning to build a new Crowne Plaza on top of it, but not in the near future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Yes, there also planning to build a new Crowne Plaza on top of it, but not in the near future.

was there not plans to build a ground level carpark there,as that is where the Metro North station will be and it can be just closed then when nessescary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dannym08 wrote: »
    was there not plans to build a ground level carpark there,as that is where the Metro North station will be and it can be just closed then when nessescary
    There was.

It's built.

....and being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Passengers mix freely airside in Malaga too, but agree with anyone who says this should have been designed out in any new build of this scale.

For a swift passenger experience I can't fault Munich, check in desks at the front, then step to the rigth or left to go through security and generally walk straight ahead to your gate.

No level changes or any nonsense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There was.

It's built.

....and being used.

:o

I really should start paying more attention...

as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Any idea's on an opening date? A relative has a flight with Ethiad in Mid November, and was wondering would they be using the new terminal.
    Can't find a date anywhere, but maybe it's a bit early.....

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Any idea's on an opening date? A relative has a flight with Ethiad in Mid November, and was wondering would they be using the new terminal.
    Can't find a date anywhere, but maybe it's a bit early.....

The DAA haven't released a firm date yet, their still just saying November. The only things left to do with the terminal is to finish testing all the systems and fitting out duty free, everything else is basically done. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened the first week of November, maybe even before! :rolleyes:

steve-o wrote: »
    Allow what? All security screening in Schipol takes place at the gate and every passenger is screened. Once screened, those passengers have no contact with unscreened passengers.

In Dublin T2, arriving and departing passengers will not mix.

Well, as you are familiar with AMS, you will probably also know that this wasnt always the case, and when departing from certain piers, this was not the case until very recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alfredrussrell

Now that Aer Lingus are going trans Atlantic through T2, does anyone know how coaches for departures through T2 will be dealt with? Will we have to walk with luggage from the existing coach park? It's already a fair old hike to T1 with luggage.

• Advertisement

Now that Aer Lingus are going trans Atlantic through T2, does anyone know how coaches for departures through T2 will be dealt with? Will we have to walk with luggage from the existing coach park? It's already a fair old hike to T1 with luggage.

As far as I can see Alfred, Yes. However, a dedicated, covered walkway is being built to join the coach park directly to T2, so you wont have to traipse across roads etc etc. It actually doesnt look any more distant than the walk to T1, and will probably be done in more comfort due toa dedicated walkway that is actually covered also!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

If your departing on an American flight from T1 you have to go down a level to US customs so not all departing passengers dont have to change levels.

I think it is a better idea to seperate passengers.. keeps the people flowing thus allowing the airport to be less congested.

T2 looks amaing btw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Kev11491 wrote: »
    T2 looks amaing btw :D

Looks fairly good, though some of the exterior grey cladding has a bit of a chunky cheapness about it.

The real test is how it functions of course.

What steps are the DAA taking to mitigate against the massive passenger shortfall though? Apart from raising passenger charges. We have 35 mil capacity but only ~20 mil or under using it. I'm not putting all the blame on them for this, but this is vastly over-capacity at the moment so we need to see how it could most efficiently be utilised. Do all the gates in P1 need to be used for the time being for example?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be tempted to close pier A or B in T1 in its entirity for the time being. Could see problems with the tenants in the retail units though...

Actually, brain is failing me here - isn't there a prefab extension on one of the old piers?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

the pictures ive seen look great but the old bit looks odd attached too it now, i hope they do it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MYOB wrote: »
    Actually, brain is failing me here - isn't there a prefab extension on one of the old piers?
    That has to close when the new pier on T2 opens.

Well that was one of the conditions of the extension on planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how will Aircoach operate with the 2 terminals? will there be 2 pickup points? what will the T2 pickup area look like, covered ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Bluetonic wrote: »
    That has to close when the new pier on T2 opens.

Well that was one of the conditions of the extension on planning permission.

Which pier is it on though?

I only use the sodding airport about 20 times a year with multiple airlines out of every pier... and I can't remember the layout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MYOB wrote: »
    Which pier is it on though?

I only use the sodding airport about 20 times a year with multiple airlines out of every pier... and I can't remember the layout!

It's in between pier A+D

Advertisement