Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm always struck by how good many Wii games still look, especially when played on the TV via HDMI.
    But then, many GC games also have that certain something too, like the aforementioned Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime series.

Nintendo really are masters in how to use a console to it's potential but not over-do it.

They tend to keep textures and details simple yet to a very high quality level. A great off shoot of this is the fact that the games tend not to really ever look dated.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Got the first crystal there in Dark World {LttP}. It's been years since I last played through this game, & I hadn't forgotten how good it was, but it really is a masterpiece. Literally everything about the game is perfect, I can't find a single flaw

Best game ever made I still reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Best game ever made I still reckon.

Certainly it's my own personal favorite. Graphics, art, soundtrack, controls, story, pacing, difficulty curve, presentation....perfect on all counts. A true 16bit gem.

Master of the Universe

Speaking of which, I dropped hits for A Link Between Worlds from the missus, hope to be playing it Christmas morning!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Speaking of which, I dropped hits for A Link Between Worlds from the missus, hope to be playing it Christmas morning!

Not just get it yourself to avoid disappointment and having to put on a fake smile etc? :D

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not just get it yourself to avoid disappointment and having to put on a fake smile etc? :D

Leecar.jpg

:D

Master of the Universe

I'm always struck by how good many Wii games still look, especially when played on the TV via HDMI.
    But then, many GC games also have that certain something too, like the aforementioned Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime series.

Moderator-bot.Self.Destruct.Sequence.Initiated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thanks Ciderman, wasn't sure I understood the first time! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I still don't understand. Can you tell me again Ciderman?
    :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nintendo games don't date because they have good artists. Even the N64 stuff still looks good if you use an emulator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo games don't date because they have good artists. Even the N64 stuff still looks good if you use an emulator.

I think it looks worse on an emulator. N64 games look so wrong in emulation.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it looks worse on an emulator. N64 games look so wrong in emulation.

Agreed. An N64 with a modded svideo cable or an RGB mod is how they look good

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Agreed. An N64 with a modded svideo cable or an RGB mod is how they look good

Until you switch it on.

>_>

<_<

:pac:

Until you switch it on.

>_>

<_<

:pac:

Bah humbug :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Moderator-bot.Self.Destruct.Sequence.Initiated.

My phone
    Poor reception area
    Pressing the key several times to see why it didn't post the comment

Just be thankful I don't control anything important like nuclear weapons or something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Playing Midnight Resistance on the C64 emulator on Retropie on the Raspberry Pi. Sounds long winded.

More difficult than I remember.
    My gaming skills have been slowly weakened since the 80's with the introduction of hand holding games, health regen and an abundance of lives and continues. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just finished a playthrough of Gone Home. It was $5 on the humble bundle store.

I really enjoyed it and its a very interesting piece of story telling. Not so much a game as it is like an interactive story.

Well worth a look and has a few things in the game which I dont think I've seen covered in any other games.

I wouldn't be paying $20 for it though, way too short to justify that price tag

Master of the Universe

Just finished Final Fantasy VI. Turned out I just wasn't defending enough on the end bosses. Once I focused on that more it was fairly easy.

Such a brilliant game, the end cinematics are really something else, some of the most detailed and longest I've seen on the Snes.

Illusion of Time next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Took out the PS1 this evening and was playing parappa the rapper. Stupidly addictive and really nice songs. I remember seeing this on the shelves back in the day but thought it looked crap so wasn't interested in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Illusion of Time next!

Ah Illusion of Time. Probably the first JRPG to do pretentious before FFVII made it popular and it was also doing it a hell of a lot better.

I really must try and finish it sometime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Took out the PS1 this evening and was playing parappa the rapper. Stupidly addictive and really nice songs. I remember seeing this on the shelves back in the day but thought it looked crap so wasn't interested in it.

I remember the push it got at the time, despite being evil overlords, took a real chance on it.
    Paid off too, with the game becoming a big seller despite being what was a real niche product.
    But the songs are fantastic, the art style consistent between the cut scenes and in game play, a story that keeps it all.making a little bit if sense.
    That Sunny Funny, she's such a tease, and when's Jet Baby out in the cinemas here?
    Um Jammer Lammy is expensive online though, but must pick it up and I have Parappa 2 for the PS2 somewhere but don't think I've ever played it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They tend to keep textures and details simple yet to a very high quality level. A great off shoot of this is the fact that the games tend not to really ever look dated.

Precisely why I reckon the original Windwaker looks ageless. Why they felt it need the HD boost is beyond me, the HD washes out a lot of the vibrancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Precisely why I reckon the original Windwaker looks ageless. Why they felt it need the HD boost is beyond me, the HD washes out a lot of the vibrancy.

Didn't they add some sort of fog to the HD version? Which does make some of it look washed out. Although I got the HD version and quite like it to be honest.

I'm not mad about the HD Wind Waker look. They added a lot of shadow shading to the game. It makes everything look a lot more 3D, it gives it the look of a Pixar movie. I much prefer the 2D look that the original has.

Master of the Universe

I've never played through Windwaker :o

Did try it before but the analog stick on my GC controller at the time wouldn't work properly - Link wouldn't run!

If I remember correctly, there was a jump or something close to the start of the game and it was impossible to get passed it with the above problem.

Maybe it's about time I picked it up and gave it a go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm dying to play Parappa The Rapper again. I'll go hunt down an iso and emulator in the morning. I've got the sequel on PS2 but the songs aren't nearly as good (apart from the videogame themed one that jumps between different eras of graphics and music depending on how well you're doing.

This evening I had a go of God Hand on an emulator and my computer isn't fast enough to run it properly but I played enough to know I really need the game in my life so I'll pick it up on Ebay post haste. It's just.. sublime. The slapstick satisfaction of the special moves is incredibly satisfying.

I played a Capcom game today if not played before via the sneaky Mame I have on the work PC.
    It's called Nemo and seems to be based on the Little Nemo comic strip and film.
    I watched the latter recently and it's wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Today I've mostly been playing this bundle of fun on wii u. Well wii game on wii u...

926E710D-66A2-4CD9-8E33-62380B41AF2C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Moto Roader. PC Engine.

I powered up the cab and had a run at Ketsui and, for dessert, played NES Remix on the WiiU.

This evening its another crack at Super Mario Galaxy, need to get it completed and I've 12 stars to go to get to the final galaxy.
    Super Mario 3D World awaits.

I powered up the cab and had a run at Ketsui and, for dessert, played NES Remix on the WiiU.

This evening its another crack at Super Mario Galaxy, need to get it completed and I've 12 stars to go to get to the final galaxy.
    Super Mario 3D World awaits.

Super mario galaxy is on my backlog list.. It'll happen soon just not yet.

• Advertisement

Got Bit Trip Runner 2 for 7 quid on PSN, hypnotic game. Hopping between that and The Walking Dead.

I see Persona 4 Golden is 'only' 18 quid for PS+ members. Retr0, Johnny_U - worth the price? Seems to have gotten great reviews, haven't played any of them before though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd confidently state Persona 4 is my favourite game ever made, so take that as you will :) I haven't played Golden, but honestly with a few improvements to the original game I'd say it's worth many times the price its going for on PSN at the moment.

I'd confidently state Persona 4 is my favourite game ever made, so take that as you will :) I haven't played Golden, but honestly with a few improvements to the original game I'd say it's worth many times the price its going for on PSN at the moment.

was really tempted by it but just to much of a backlog to justify anymore spending right now.

killzone was also incredibly cheap recently

Just finished the Ice Palace in LttP. I've been dreading it a little as I remember it as a bit of a pain, much like the Water Palace in OoT. I got through it handy enough in the end, once you have full magic left for the boss...& a fairy or two in a bottle never goes amiss :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Got Bit Trip Runner 2 for 7 quid on PSN, hypnotic game. Hopping between that and The Walking Dead.

I see Persona 4 Golden is 'only' 18 quid for PS+ members. Retr0, Johnny_U - worth the price? Seems to have gotten great reviews, haven't played any of them before though.

Bit Trip Runner is an awesome game. So awesome, in fact, that not once does it strike you that you've been on the same level for 40 minutes. The sequel adds checkpoints, so it can only go up.

Bit Trip Runner is an awesome game. So awesome, in fact, that not once does it strike you that you've been on the same level for 40 minutes. The sequel adds checkpoints, so it can only go up.

I have it as part of a collection for the 3ds, very nice indeed although I believe the Wii edition is even better.
    I must pick up the sequel too.

Just noticed you can jump over the checkpoint for extra points, a brave move on some levels though having to start from the beginning if you mess up (I guess folks would be used to that). If you collect all the gold bars in a level you get a shot at a bulls eye type bonus at the end of it, frustrating when you perfect the level only to miss the bulls eye. :mad:

Great game.

I'd echo what Johnny Ultimate said. It's the best RPG released in the last 10 years and a contender for best game ever.
    was really tempted by it but just to much of a backlog to justify anymore spending right now.

killzone was also incredibly cheap recently

If you buy Killzone before Persona 4 I'll call over to your house and personally slap you.

I've not played Persona 4 but I do have the Trails In The Sky LE for PSP and that game is incredible. First RPG I've played in years. Still working my way through it but it's bloody good.

• Advertisement

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    I've not played Persona 4 but I do have the Trails In The Sky LE for PSP and that game is incredible. First RPG I've played in years. Still working my way through it but it's bloody good.

I love Falcom's RPGs. Glad to see the rest of the series is coming to PC.

Master of the Universe

Started Persona 3 the other day on a long bus ride. Enjoying it so far.

I'd played 6-7 hours of Persona 4 previously and have kept meaning to go back to it. Think I'll stick off with 3 first and see that through.

I love Falcom's RPGs. Glad to see the rest of the series is coming to PC.

I have that giant Falcom 30th Anniversary book but haven't checked if those games are in it yet. When was the first one released? It's an exhaustive encylopedia of everything Falcom have done. Soundtracks, games, merchandise etc and art. Hopefully it's featured in there. Trails in the Sky and Y's are just gorgeous.

If you buy Killzone before Persona 4 I'll call over to your house and personally slap you.

Don't worry if I was to get one it would definately be Persona 4 but I've just waaaay too many games to play right now.

By the time I have time to play it ill be able to pick up a physical copy for about 20quid is say. It's one I'd want the physical copy of anyway.

As for killzone I'm not a huge modern fps fan to be fair I was more so just mentioning the value really. Only modern fps I play is the halo series.

On a sort if related note Mario 3D World arrived today in the post to my shock. Ordered it weeks ago thought it was lost in the post actually. Christmas miracle.

B7AEC000-53FB-417A-8F80-7F579E55AA32.jpg

I have that giant Falcom 30th Anniversary book but haven't checked if those games are in it yet. When was the first one released? It's an exhaustive encylopedia of everything Falcom have done. Soundtracks, games, merchandise etc and art. Hopefully it's featured in there. Trails in the Sky and Y's are just gorgeous.

Legend of Heroes has been going for a long time, it's a spin-off of the Dragon Slayer series. The first two Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes games were on a load of different platforms. Namco released the first trilogy in the series on PSP and absolutely messed that up. The localisation was terrible and they released the games out of order with the second game being released first and the script being destroyed in the process of trying to make a new continuity fit.

Trails in the Sky is the start of the second trilogy. Some of the guys in XSeed had been fighting for years to bring the series to the West.

We are now 5 games behind the series in the west. I just hope XSeed find a way to bring them out here. They are really fighting for it even if the only viable platform for them seems to be steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played the first dozen hours or so of Trails in the Sky recently. It's a well put together game, no doubt, but the gameplay, story and characters just didn't grab me the way they did in Ys Seven or Oath in Felghana. I drifted away to something else, especially since the general consensus is it's a rather long game indeed. Must get back to it - a really good game, but have just been spoiled by Ys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Persona 4 is my favourite jrpg of all time , you go in alone in one amazing journey coming out with characters you wish your friends were half as interesting and fun as :L

I played the first dozen hours or so of Trails in the Sky recently. It's a well put together game, no doubt, but the gameplay, story and characters just didn't grab me the way they did in Ys Seven or Oath in Felghana. I drifted away to something else, especially since the general consensus is it's a rather long game indeed. Must get back to it - a really good game, but have just been spoiled by Ys!

Really keen to try Y's Seven. The PSP LE is pricey though... :(

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever try the original Persona?

94% reliable, much reassure!

41w6WpNI6EL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

41w6WpNI6EL.jpg

I don't think you find anyone talking about the orginial persona , that is very personal

Really keen to try Y's Seven. The PSP LE is pricey though... :(

Would you not just buy the dirt cheap digital download version :confused: Whatever about wanting to own an LE copy, bit crazy to not play it because of that!

Always find it a strange little coincidence that both my favourite game and film are both called Persona, even though they couldn't be further from each other!

• Advertisement
Advertisement