Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 - diesel engine problems

Options
  • 15-07-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

Just wondering how many people have suffered problems with their Mazda 6 diesel engines?

My reason for asking is that mine, a 2006 with 68k on the clock, developed a serious knock on the way to work on Monday. The dealer tells me they rarely go wrong, but searching on Google tells a different story.

Does anyone else have experience of these going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Friend of mine had a cracked intercooler - but apart from that all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if it's a knock, it's down to two things:

1. DMF - it's a consumable part, so suck it up ! OEM part is Eur1100 iirc, whilst a LuK replacement kit is less than half that. That's if you're lucky.......

2. More likely, though, is the fact that it's big end no 4 on the crank that's gone. That's if you're unlucky. And it's going to cost you. New short block from Mazda Irl is Eur 2800 + VAT (less than the cost of the sum of it's parts......)

.......and you'll need a new DMF to go with it, as well, and the labour to fit, all.

Going to be an expensive day out, either way - but do post up on the verdict, sorry for your troubles.....

Realistically, I've had to scrap my 02 car with 88k miles on it. Not a good experience.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sddaly wrote: »
    The dealer tells me they rarely go wrong

The dealer is lying. He knows full well what about the disastrous problems with the Mazda diesel engine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, the diesel 6 (old) models are notoriously bad.

• Advertisement

...my SO has just spotted this now, and nearly spat her tea over the computer.

She's right - first thing; DON'T drive the car !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Mazda 6 Diesel is a wreck waiting to happen, if you believe the reports.

Check out Honest John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sddaly

Good news and bad news on the car front...

Good news, my 13 year old Corolla, that I was trying to get rid of, just passed its NCT, which is great because..

Bad news, the engine in the 6 is shagged. Big end bearing gone, and more than likely all the associated issues.

Gutted to say the least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A 3 year old Jap car goes bang, who would have thought it?

That is bad news OP, sorry for your trouble.

Good news and bad news on the car front...

Good news, my 13 year old Corolla, that I was trying to get rid of, just passed its NCT, which is great because..

Bad news, the engine in the 6 is shagged. Big end bearing gone, and more than likely all the associated issues.

Gutted to say the least!!

Did you get a number, for cost-of-repair ?

...if you could, could you confirm that it's #4 big-end.

I think we now have the bones of Mazda diesel bonfire here ! You can even put your 6, on top ! :o

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

fwiw, just goes to show that a 'fsh' isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all, of anything.

I have a tentative offer for my rolling Mazda shell, and rooting out the book to get the VIN, I see the service book. Serviced according to the book at:
    9148, 18758, 27218, 39661, 49523, 58890 (incl timing belt), 67759 etc..........fat load of good all that did.......

Ode To The Motorist

fwiw - got a quote today by email for a re-con engine for Eur 2240. So, add in removal/refitting, DMF, clutch, etc etc........and..........I'm edging closer to the crusher...........which is a pity - it's a fine car. Sorry, chicken coop.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sddaly

Hi All,

Just an update, got the 6 back, final cost was just shy of 4k!!!

2900 for the engine rebuild, I don't have the invoice to hand so cant be more specific (when I find it Ill update)

1000 for the labour, (including a service after 2500 miles and both figures include VAT)

Now she is running perfectly again and is still a lovely car to drive, I just have to decide what to do with her :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

make hay while the sun shines-sell! If that happened again-ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hi All,

2900 for the engine rebuild, I don't have the invoice to hand so cant be more specific (when I find it Ill update)

1000 for the labour, (including a service after 2500 miles and both figures include VAT)

Now she is running perfectly again and is still a lovely car to drive, I just have to decide what to do with her :confused:

Jebus. That's one hell of a bill. Glad she's back in one piece, hard to know what to do really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Hi All,

4 grand........... :eek::eek:(*faints*)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Andy013

Get rid of it asap

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ouch, €4k repair on a 06 Mazda 6 diesel works out at over 1/3 of the market value of the car. I'd keep it now until it dies as you will never get that money back. Trading up will cost you more money.

...now I know it isn't just me. Good candidate for a sticky, the tale is so bad.

Fwiw, I couldn't fix my diesel, and flogged it on DoneDeal. 02, 85k miles, lovely car...........for Eur 750. That's a 5-figure loss inside 18 months.

Cheaper to drive a 911, tbh............

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Friend had their 2.0D go recently too - shortly out of warranty 2006 model. New engine €10k (covered by Mazda), labour €2k (paid by them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I heard they were bad in the Diesel area, but thats ricockules.

...I think we can permanently lay to rest the Mazda diesel as reliable thing now. At your peril, folks.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys,

Having read this, can I ask your opinions on th eolder Mazda 323 Diesel engine?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/GLX-2.0-/200940195359748/advert?channel=CARS

...the only certainty I'd say is, any Mazda with the RF series, common-rail turbo diesel, is to be avoided at all costs.

Older, pre-common rail stuff should - I say should -be o.k.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...the only certainty I'd say is, any Mazda with the RF series, common-rail turbo diesel, is to be avoided at all costs.

Older, pre-common rail stuff should - I say should -be o.k.

Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?

I had a petrol 6 (1.8) and whilst it wasn't the smoothest or quiestest engine in the world, they have a reputation for being unburstable. The rest of the cars are well put together too. Such a pity the 2.0D was such cack...

I know it would be slightly retrograde step but could you replace a bust 2.0d with the petrol engine? I'd be considering that if stung so badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Friend had their 2.0D go recently too - shortly out of warranty 2006 model. New engine €10k (covered by Mazda), labour €2k (paid by them).

€10k for a new engine? That's silly money for an econobox engine. €2k for fitting it? Rip-off! I guess Mazda has your friend by the cojones though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I had a 6 for a couple of days, it was the 1.8 and it was really nice, I'm shocked at these prices for replacement engines, sounds a bit OTT.

pburns wrote: »
    Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?

I had a petrol 6 (1.8) and whilst it wasn't the smoothest or quiestest engine in the world, they have a reputation for being unburstable. The rest of the cars are well put together too. Such a pity the 2.0D was such cack...

I know it would be slightly retrograde step but could you replace a bust 2.0d with the petrol engine? I'd be considering that if stung so badly...

..wouldn't be worth the petrol engine conversion - you'd buy an entire petrol car for less than the work involved.....petrol tank, pumps, ECU, wiring loom, clutch, gearbox, the list would go on and on. By all means buy a can of petrol.........and use it to torch the car........
    unkel wrote: »
    €10k for a new engine? That's silly money for an econobox engine. €2k for fitting it? Rip-off! I guess Mazda has your friend by the cojones though :mad:
    I had gearbox cables fitted to the MPV before the engine went, and that cost 750, so that sort of price scale is not unusual for Mazda's, it would appear. As for engine price, I did up the prices before I scrapped mine, and a new long block was just under 5k iirc. I'd say the 10k mentioned above was a turn-key unit c/w turbo, ancillaries, injection pump, vacuum pump, flywheel and clutch (over 1100 alone)etc. Iirc, a cylinder head on it's own was 2k+..........crankshaft w/o bearings, 1800. Add labour to build it, and it won't be long getting out of hand.

As for buying anything common rail diesel - 2.2 or no, I would have zero faith in it. Unless they're going to give you an KIA-like unlimited 7-year warranty on it, and the car at half price, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Ode To The Motorist

pburns wrote: »
    Is the latest 2.2D in the 6 a development of this do you know?...

I believe it is.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well just found this thread so had to add to tale of woe.

I have a Mazda 6 03 diesel with 102,000 on the clock.
    Was driving fine.
    Few weeks ago driving back from West to Dublin began to notice a bit smoky when I accelerated.
    Thought nothing much since had diesels that were smoky before and I would just check it out when got home.
    Then accelerating away from toll plaza on M4 boom bang
    Engine started knocking badly, all sorts fo noises, would not shut down.
    I and the motorway were covered in smoke.
    Left trail of black on the road as I veered into hard shoulder.
    Guys in toll plaza thought I was on fire.

Anyway firstly thought it was blown turbo that sucked oil into engine but now according to mechanic turbo not totally blown and still fair amount of oilleft in sump.
    He needs to check how bad engine is, but it does not sound hopeful.
    I have been quoted 2,900 for engine import with 3 month guarantee.
    Not even reconditioned engine but just second hand.

Anyone ever heard of similar story ?

Advertisement