Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tues Evening Spin - Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Actually, someone was talking about Boards beginners spins a while back. Did these ever happen? You should go on one of those.

There was one. Hasn't been one since as far as I know. It's really all about demand. If enough people are looking for one, should be easy to organise another.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

n00b Question: Bar the handlebars, whats different in a road vs a hybrid.

And thanks for the help. Also, where does one get the boards gear, spotted it on the wiki a few minutes ago:D

el tonto wrote: »
    There was one. Hasn't been one since as far as I know. It's really all about demand. If enough people are looking for one, should be easy to organise another.

Two mates of mine might be interested, though one could would need to service/replace his ride first :rolleyes: I'd be in for setting one up if there was an experienced rider interested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

And thanks for the help. Also, where does one get the boards gear, spotted it on the wiki a few minutes ago:D

hybrids are typically less agressive (sporty), easier gearing, comprimise with MTBs. Most importantly, they are seriously less Euro. But that's another ball game which we will explain in time.

Boards Jerseys: random orders made when some sucker nice person feels like taking on the burden simple task of gathering orders and money from folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A road bike will generally have:

- lighter weight
    - more agressive geometry frame
    - narrower and higher gearing, often with only two front chainrings
    - narrower, slick tyres
    - tighter clearances around fork and rear
    - caliper brakes
    - may lack mount points for rack/mudguards

There are some hybrids (often marketed as "flat bar road bikes") that differ in little but the bars. But most hybrids, even some marketed as flat bar road, are a pretty different type of bike.

• Advertisement

I might still go hybrid, as the comfort for daily usage would be a big plus, and the extra strain on outings would help keep me in shape, even if it kills me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I might still go hybrid, as the comfort for daily usage would be a big plus,

Road bikes are very comfortable.
    and the extra strain on outings would help keep me in shape, even if it kills me to do it.

It doesn't really work like that :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It depends, because "hybrid" can cover a vast gamut of bikes. Some are little more than a road bike with flat bars, some are more like heavy town bikes and some have more in common with mountain bikes. Either way though, if you want a bike for training on and going in group rides, a road bike is your best bet. Most guys I know who started out training on hybrids moved onto a road bike in less than a year.

As Raam said, there are periodic group orders. You need to keep an eye out for a new thread. One order has just gone in, so it's likely to be a few more months before there's demand for a second one.
    Two mates of mine might be interested, though one could would need to service/replace his ride first :rolleyes: I'd be in for setting one up if there was an experienced rider interested too.

There are Boards spins mosts Saturdays. Keep an eye out for a thread on Thursday or Friday about one. Chip in and say you'd like to be part of a beginners spin and see if anyone else is interested. If folks are unsure of a route, see if an experienced rider will volunteer to come along.

the extra strain on outings would help keep me in shape, even if it kills me to do it.
    What is more likely is that you would be dropped and people would have to wait for you... Dónal (for example) manages on a hybrid but he is very strong (and is planning on getting a road bike.) If your goal is long spins around Wicklow just get the road bike now, keep the MTB for commuting so you don't wear out your nice new bike in bad weather or get it stolen.

As Raam says a road bike can be very comfortable, indeed they are the most comfortable over distance. A flat bar bike has a lack of hand positions that can be a killer over long distances. It also lacks any way to get out of the wind and is not so good for climbing (although bar ends can help there.)

To be honest my road bike is the most comfortable bike I have, and that would go for each of the two previous road bike I owned before it.

Good advice from Blorg there.

Even with a road bike, you'll have no problem making things challenging for yourself.

And forget about having to work more than others, there are also circumstances where you'll be out the back aside from this. For example, I've seen very strong riders on hybrids being dropped like a stone on descents because the upright position means they can't get as low as everyone else.

• Advertisement

The thought of going that fast down hill that their position would make that much difference....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is not a single definition of comfort.

I think hybrids can be more comfortable for unfit riders since more of the weight is carried on the saddle and less on the arms.

As you get fitter you tend to pedal harder and carry more weight on your legs, and your arms become accustomed to the position.

A hybrid isn't a bad short term choice for a beginner/unfit cyclist, but I wouldn't buy one new - too much depreciation when you sell it on.

The thought of going that fast down hill that their position would make that much difference....:eek:

It would make more of a difference than you'd expect. The faster you are going, the more aerodynamics comes into play. Even relative beginners would go downhill at such a pace that position makes a big difference.

Lumen, good info. I'm working gardening atm, and its all lifting, so my arms are definitely improving.

My dads old hybrid is actually buried outside, I'm gonna pop it up on the workbench and see how salvageable it is. He always took care of it when he used it, but now uses a different bike when he does cycle, which is rarely(real pity for him). Its a hollingsworth.

We have a HVLP sprayer, I'm thinking I might do an "uglification":D

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-hybrid and cycled them myself for years. Still have one. They are a very good choice for use about town and will stretch to moderate distance spins around Wicklow (say 30-50km) without too much difficulty. So if this is your intended use, a hybrid can be a good idea- but if you want to go on longer spins, then get a road bike.

Advertisement