Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

wont be many of us left at this stage

Strange week. 3 of the best gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

mayota wrote: »
    not saying much about the rest of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Its survival of the fittest around here :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

mayota wrote: »

Maybe theres a new farming forum starting up somewhere.

Muckit wrote: »
    Its survival of the fittest around here :-)
    Right so
    *heads off for his helmet and flack jacket*

Sometimes this time of the year you need to take out the chainsaw and get rid of the dead wood. New growth come the spring :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

stock> wrote: »
    yeah stock was on that a while back but i prefer this one as the farming practices in england are very different to ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Not to mention that we're way better craic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Right so
    *heads off for his helmet and flack jacket*

your screwed Sharp, you spent a couple of days this week complaining about the cold, I hope we never have to send your crowd to defend us during a cold spell :D:D

your screwed Sharp, you spent a couple of days this week complaining about the cold, I hope we never have to send your crowd to defend us during a cold spell :D:D

Ah I've me termels on, sorted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Ah I've me termels on, sorted :D

overalls on this week, this a great job. Sisters arent giving out to me any more cause i smell like a cow :D:D

jersey101 wrote: »
    overalls on this week, this a great job. Sisters arent giving out to me any more cause i smell like a cow :D:D
    Have to welder keeping me warm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Lads, ye'd wanta get a grip. The paranoia here is unreal. The department / guards / Martians cannot access the boards server logs to find out the email you registered with or your IP address unless they get a court order.

They're not going to go to that trouble because you mention on here that you squeezed a bullock at 10 months without a nurse present, or that you dehorned a Late calf.

Be smart about what you post if you want to stay anonymous and under the radar, but don't be worried about the suits turning up at the gate.

Comments on an internet forum would be laughed out of court as evidence. Anyone could have written that comment, not you. Sure twas a Chinese student that hacked my password.

Now I'm off to shoot the neighbour and kidnap his wife......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

munkus wrote: »
    They're not going to go to that trouble because you mention on here that you squeezed a bullock at 10 months without a nurse present, or that you dehorned a Late calf.

They've made inquiries before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

who's they, where did they get your identity from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Did they make anything of it tho?

who's they, where did they get your identity from?

In my reply to your quote, the Department of Agriculture.

In my own case if I wanted to say I would have ;)
    Boaty wrote: »
    Did they make anything of it tho?

Not that time AFAIK.

Play with fire.

The problem, for those naive enough or stupid enough to admit things they shouldn't is all it takes is a "surprise" inspection to catch them out.

There's no warning or tip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You must have been a bold boy.:)

• Advertisement

Boaty wrote: »
    You must have been a bold boy.:)

Nope :)

Nope :)
    *Cough Cough* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Lads, ye'd wanta get a grip. The paranoia here is unreal. The department / guards / Martians cannot access the boards server logs to find out the email you registered with or your IP address unless they get a court order.

Be smart about what you post if you want to stay anonymous and under the radar, but don't be worried about the suits turning up at the gate.

Comments on an internet forum would be laughed out of court as evidence. Anyone could have written that comment, not you. Sure twas a Chinese student that hacked my password.

Now I'm off to shoot the neighbour and kidnap his wife......

You'd be amazed at how easy it is to join the dots online, and how automated it can be. it can and does happen, and unless you want to perjur yourself in court then it stands up just fine.

The department/gardai/whoever, dont need to go round reading boards looking for admissions of guilt. the world is full of busybodies who'll hand them stuff on a plate, or worse, people with grudges who'll bide their time.

There are some that do actively pursue this info though. Insurance companies regularly spider car forums with software that's capable of identifying threads on modified cars. (it's not rocket science at all) flag some pages with pics for review by a human, do a quick query on any number plates and boom, johnny (boy) gets a letter in the post from FBD saying they have reason to believe your car is modifed and it will need to be reviewed by an assesor before renewal time.

(johnny would like to point out that said car never saw road in it's modified state but there was only 2 months on the policy when the project started so there was no point in cancelling. sadly it still hasnt seen road, many many years later)

I also know a guy who took a garage to the small claims court when his engine ate itself within two hours of being collected from having the timing belt done. The garage's solicitor produced a video from youtube of yer man driving the same car in mondello in the past and basically painted him as a complete scumbag boy racer and lost him the case.

It's very very easy to join the dots, dont say anything online you wouldnt put your name to in writing a letter to be published in the irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Folks dont take this the wrong way but I though this thread was about labour saving and general guntering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Folks dont take this the wrong way but I though this thread was about labour saving and general guntering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

From Facebook..

A true gunter! Twine for a toplink and half a pto shaft too!

1490639_580673611987824_1011981560_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Damo810 wrote: »
    From Facebook..

What do you mean.... is this not how everyone attaches spreader? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

From Facebook..

Is that a bit of a stick for a pin?

From Facebook..

Tasty operator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

My local machinery dealer spins the one about the fella that turned up to collect the new fertilizer spreader and he mentioned to your man the toplink looked shook.you can geuss what happened on the way home---burst the gearbox on a span new spreader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Is that a ticket on the machine above, with the "flexi toplink" ? An auction job is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Knocked these together in Oct and just came across photos.
    Cut silage wrap tubes in half and used two tech screws to keep the tube upright.
    Drilled a hole through the bottom to put a nail through to anchor the bait.
    Just used ordinary storm blocks and drove the nail through em with a hammer.
    Bit of a pain to reload but no more stolen and horded bait

18C8CE48C2A742148CEDB9C4FFCDF93A-0000344488-0003470376-00500L-EF3FA70EFE6F47A68C79E1C9B33910ED.jpg
    C64BBA02A692431B8B93D3A75B413568-0000344488-0003470375-00500L-FDFD2D6933254B259E7EDCAEDB064553.jpg
    746E592C83644D4199E0F90A8DC21AD4-0000344488-0003470374-00500L-A6C6CBB1E0CC404BAADED2E0B3E6AA9B.jpg

49801 wrote: »
    Cut silage wrap tubes in half and used two tech screws to keep the tube upright.

]

Very clever and simple my man

Is it hard to nail through the poison

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

we use old silage wraps aswell but break up the block of poison and mix it with some butter to attract the rats. Breaking up the block makes them eat it instead of bringing it away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Is it hard to nail through the poison

Not difficult at all. The storm blocks are not pre drilled but do have a big dedent in their middle that is nearly a through hole.
    storm-secure-blocks-3-kgs-268-p%5Bekm%5D270x270%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Only broke a couple blocks when putting the nail through. No big deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

rushvalley wrote: »
    we use old silage wraps aswell but break up the block of poison and mix it with some butter to attract the rats. Breaking up the block makes them eat it instead of bringing it away :D

Chocolate works a treat as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Reggie. wrote: »
    Chocolate works a treat as well

I have a map for board bia, I let a copy thrown around for the rats.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I have the same and used some 2" and 4" plastic tubing I got at work
    I drilled the bait with 4mm bit and used old welding rods with flux removed to hold bait in position .
    The rods are folded outside the tube to stop it rolling about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

18C8CE48C2A742148CEDB9C4FFCDF93A-0000344488-0003470376-00500L-EF3FA70EFE6F47A68C79E1C9B33910ED.jpg
    C64BBA02A692431B8B93D3A75B413568-0000344488-0003470375-00500L-FDFD2D6933254B259E7EDCAEDB064553.jpg
    746E592C83644D4199E0F90A8DC21AD4-0000344488-0003470374-00500L-A6C6CBB1E0CC404BAADED2E0B3E6AA9B.jpg

That's a good idea! We were clearing out a relatives shed before, only to find about 20 poison blocks stashed when we lifted up a sheet of galvanized in the haybarn!

We use granules of poison now, it looks like a bag of oats dyed blue! Works a treat :D

No idea where the aul fella gets it tbh!

That's a good idea! We were clearing out a relatives shed before, only to find about 20 poison blocks stashed when we lifted up a sheet of galvanized in the haybarn!

We use granules of poison now, it looks like a bag of oats dyed blue! Works a treat :D

No idea where the aul fella gets it tbh!
    thats what i use aswell. got them off a mate a while back

I anchor the bait in pipes by screwing the blocks onto pieces of slating lats. Rat won't take the timber with him and can't get the block off the screw/nail. Find it handy as I can slide the timber in and out as needed to rebait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img21/4533/3n4b.jpg

Did a little bit of guntering this evening. Have a standard wheel barrow that was kinda shagged. Not sure what drove it over the edge, but it was on a slippery slope. As can be seen from first set of pics, the two handles had come free from the main body of the barrow. This was due to rust setting in and the head of the bolts + washers being able to slip through the holes.

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img194/3882/2e76.jpg

Was going to try get the largest washers I could and just tighten the nuts and bolts again. But instead came across some old tin lying around. Cut up 4 squares, big enough to catch two holes each. (thought the sheet of tin would be stronger than just large washers as there is no real chance of the bolts slipping through the holes again, in near future. So lined up the square pieces with the barrow holes, dot punched, drilled.

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img853/640/tc35.jpg
    Put them back in place and tightened in with new lock nuts. SHould last for a little while longer, all though its not in great shape, itll do for a few handy jobs and prob cost about a EUR10 in total for drill bit, nuts/bolts/washers

delaney001 wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img21/4533/3n4b.jpg

Did a little bit of guntering this evening. Have a standard wheel barrow that was kinda shagged. Not sure what drove it over the edge, but it was on a slippery slope. As can be seen from first set of pics, the two handles had come free from the main body of the barrow. This was due to rust setting in and the head of the bolts + washers being able to slip through the holes.

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img194/3882/2e76.jpg

Was going to try get the largest washers I could and just tighten the nuts and bolts again. But instead came across some old tin lying around. Cut up 4 squares, big enough to catch two holes each. (thought the sheet of tin would be stronger than just large washers as there is no real chance of the bolts slipping through the holes again, in near future. So lined up the square pieces with the barrow holes, dot punched, drilled.

[IMG][/img]http://imageshack.com/a/img853/640/tc35.jpg
    Put them back in place and tightened in with new lock nuts. SHould last for a little while longer, all though its not in great shape, itll do for a few handy jobs and prob cost about a EUR10 in total for drill bit, nuts/bolts/washers
    recylcing..... thats the style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A true gunterer! Spotted today.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A true gunterer! Spotted today.

That's some gaiter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

He was explaining (proudly) how there was a stick-on gaiter inside, plus a big loose gaiter plus a complete tube around the actual pumped up tube. Its still going to rip apart, isn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

It is, but you still have to give him full marks for effort! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He was explaining (proudly) how there was a stick-on gaiter inside, plus a big loose gaiter plus a complete tube around the actual pumped up tube. Its still going to rip apart, isn't it!

You never know it might last long enough to gather the price of a new tyre . I would certainly give him an A for effort

I'd say the bog is as much as it'll see :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement