Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ben Dunne gyms closed Monday 8th June

Options
  • 07-06-2009 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked to pass on the message that all the Ben Dunne Gyms, Carlisle, Westpoint, and Northwood, will be closed all day Monday 8th June, as a mark of respect for the loss of staff member Susan Micheu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Sorry for my ignorance Gem but what is the background ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Westpoint and not Westwood, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Sorry for my ignorance Gem but what is the background ??
    I don't actually know, I was told by a Carlisle staff member there'd be a closure of the gyms for the reason given and I put it up to let forum readers know the gyms would be closed.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Westpoint and not Westwood, right?
    yeah, thanks - edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

That seems a strange move to make. Who was she?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wife of a director according to one of the notices on the gym
    or someone high up's wife anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

bluewolf wrote: »
    Whoever she is condolences to her family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bluewolf wrote: »

She was a member of staff in Carlisle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Random wrote: »
    That seems a strange move to make. Who was she?
    That does seem strange, esp. for a business where people are effectively paying by the day for a service and now being denied it. Unless there is some clause in the contracts or something. A pay as you go gym closing would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I was thinking the same as you rubadub. I am a member of northwood and had plans to go monday and now can't. I know it's just one day but it is a slight inconvienience all the same.

They only put the notice up friday, not very noticable either. I mentioned it to a friend from work and my brother and they both weren't aware of the closure and were planning a trip monday. They would have made the trip for nothing if I didn't happen to mention it!

j

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Considering these guys probably have a database of all their members phone numbers it's poor form not texting everyone to let them know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Exactly what I was thinking, I actually found somebodys wallet that was a member there also and they contacted him and passed on my details so I could return it.
    So they definately have a healthy database of information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Jwacqui wrote: »
    They only put the notice up friday, not very noticable either.

In fairness, the woman probably only passed away a day or two before that.

I can understand the inconvience though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe this isn't the place for the discusion and more than a few will probably acuse me of being insensitive but life goes on.

The business should open. It should serve the customers.

At a push close the one she specifically worked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Yet another reason why the gyms should have a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

All of the staff are probably attending the funeral. I'm sure people will get over the minor inconvenience of not having a gym for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Same what Roper said. I know that her husband used to work in Westpoint so id guess all the staff from there are attending as well as the staff from Carlisle.
    Sad news to hear.

Im sure you can all go a day without training, you may not have known the woman but other people do and they have the right to attend her funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Closed for entire day seems a bit excessive. Could be shut for a few hours to cover duration of funeral but rarely hear of large businesses like that shutting completly for a funeral. Do you shut down business everytime a staff member or family member of staff member die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Closed for entire day seems a bit excessive.

How exactly? The woman died and going by her position in the company she was an integral part of the business. It's a sign of respect tbh. It's 1 day ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Closed for entire day seems a bit excessive. Could be shut for a few hours to cover duration of funeral but rarely hear of large businesses like that shutting completly for a funeral. Do you shut down business everytime a staff member or family member of staff member die?

Check the back page of the Irish Times, it happens all the time.

Jebus lads, it's one day, someone has died, friends, family and colleagues are grieving and they want to pay their respects. Do a bodyweight circuit at home if you're that desperately in need of training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement