Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM PHONE WATCH

Options
  • 06-06-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I have an eircom phone watch alarm and I think the service is very basic for the following reason:
    When the alarm is activated eircom just contact the key holders, the same as any alarm with a dialer! The monthly fee is crazy for this dont you think?
    My question is as I can cancel my eircom subscription but keep the alarm can I connect a dialer as per any alarm to contact a key holder should the alarm activate?
    Thanks Guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

depends what system you have, if its a wired system then its probably a hkc and using a hkc dialer which is easilly re-configured to dial your keyholder numbers.
    however it becomes a bit more tricky if its a wireless system especially if its the simon system as they are a 6 volt system. they can be reconfigured but you have to have good knowledge of the system to do it. if its their concord system then its a bit easier to program but will only take one number but as this sytem is a 12 volt system its easier to install a stand alone dialer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Those Eircom phone watch alarms were always very bad imho.

Maybe ask someone on here to have a look at it ?

Links to some profiles :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?u=45958

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=78653

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think the service is very basic for the following reason: When the alarm is activated eircom just contact the key holders, the same as any alarm with a dialer!
    This in itself does not make it basic, it makes it normal for a domestic installation with a monitored alarm system.
    The alarm is not allowed to phone the Gardai directly, if so it would be against Garda policy. The monitoring station will ring the gardai if the correct conditions are met. This generally requires more than 1 alarm activation on at least 2 zones and an agreement that the keyholder will be present when the gardai arrive.

This is why some people opt for a dialler that rings keyholders (friends/neighbours) directly rather than getting a monitoring station to ring them.
    My question is as I can cancel my eircom subscription but keep the alarm can I connect a dialer as per any alarm to contact a key holder should the alarm activate?
    In short yes. It could be straight foward, or may need a bit more effort it depends on the system. Post the details of the system, make model etc. and I am sure someone here will help you out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

c.a.r.l wrote: »
    When the alarm is activated eircom just contact the key holders, the same as any alarm with a dialer!
    What makes you think Eircom should be doing any more than that?
    Thats what monitoring is.
    The monthly fee is crazy for this dont you think?
    Depends on how much you are paying. Eircom PW prices vary a lot
    My question is as I can cancel my eircom subscription but keep the alarm can I connect a dialer as per any alarm to contact a key holder should the alarm activate
    Please explain what you mean by as per any alarm..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi Guys,
    I have an eircom phone watch alarm and I think the service is very basic for the following reason:
    When the alarm is activated eircom just contact the key holders, the same as any alarm with a dialer! The monthly fee is crazy for this dont you think?
    Thanks Guys.

all phonewatch systems can be self monitored, the hkc digi can be reprogrammed to text your phone.
    the cs250 you will need a voice dialer installed to ring your phone.
    the concord can be programed to ring one phone.
    the simon can be programed to also ring one phone.
    it just depends on how long of a contract you have with them phonewatch with regards to cancelling..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

altor wrote: »
    all phonewatch systems can be self monitored, the hkc digi can be reprogrammed to text your phone.
    the cs250 you will need a voice dialer installed to ring your phone.
    the concord can be programed to ring one phone.
    the simon can be programed to also ring one phone.
    it just depends on how long of a contract you have with them phonewatch with regards to cancelling..
    you can fit a voice dialer to any of the phonewatch systems or any alarm system out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭c.a.r.l

koolkid wrote: »
    What makes you think Eircom should be doing any more than that?
    Thats what monitoring is.
    They claim to call to Guards when the alarm activates which is not totally true, I just think the same monitoring can be done for free.

Depends on how much you are paying. Eircom PW prices vary a lot

Please explain what you mean by as per any alarm..
    Any alarm can have a dialler installed within it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes any alarm can have a dialler,
    But Central station monitoring with Garda response is a service you must pay for.
    You never answered what service you expect or what you are paying.
    They claim to call the Guards if needed.
    They are oblidged to conform to Garda policy on this.
    I think you need to read the T & C you signed up to before complaining.

WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?
    If you read the posts you wouldn't ask silly questions! The reason I asked the question was because I didn't believe eircom gave a service that I couldnt get from a dialer. As Eircom dont actually call the Guards unless you meet many conditions should the alarm activate. Where as if the dialer contacted me I could ring the Guards straight away...unlike Eircom!!
    Jesus dont take it to heart, you must have a soft spot for Eircom!!!!

Oh Sorry before you have a break down I pay €300 per year.

• Advertisement

to the op there are not many conditions that you have to conform to prior to any monitoring company calling the gaurds. with yours or any other alarm system the quicker the alarm is verified the quicker the gaurds will be called.
    so idealy the more sensors inc pirs you have on your premises the better.
    the main reason for verification imo is to stop the time of the emergency services being wasted. the main benefit of this is a quicker response time to real situations. imo eircom phonewatch provide a comprehensive monitoring service as do a lot of the companys in this country.
    i would also like to point out that it is my opinion that you ringing the gardai yourself in the event of an activation from your premises will not incur the same response by the gardai then that incured by a reputable monitoring service and the last time i checked your monitoring fee also entitles you to 2 services a year.
    its also my opinion that phonewatch will not reprogram your system with the numbers of you or your keyholders but they will only remove the numbers used to contact their monitoring station so unless your familiar with the system you have you will have to call on a 3rd party to reprogram the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?
    If you read the posts you wouldn't ask silly questions! The reason I asked the question was because I didn't believe eircom gave a service that I couldnt get from a dialer. As Eircom dont actually call the Guards unless you meet many conditions should the alarm activate. Where as if the dialer contacted me I could ring the Guards straight away...unlike Eircom!!
    Jesus dont take it to heart, you must have a soft spot for Eircom!!!!

The Gardai won't respond to your alarm on foot of the alarm ringing you. Thats why every alarm thats monitored by a central station needs to be certified by a registered alarm company before the Gardai will respond to an activation.
    The rules are the same for every company, including Eircom. The Gardai will only be called if there is a second zone activated after the initial activation. This is called verification. Only the keyholders are contacted when the initial activation happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Am I right in saying (could be wrong) -
    But you are paying €300 per year becuase you are paying for the Alarm system itself and the monitoring service ??

I myself took out the Phonewatch just over 2 years ago., i'm paying €40 a month, but that is only for 3 Yrs to pay off the Alarm system, once that 3 years is up, I will only pay approx €10 a month for monitoring.

But, on the main point, there is a certain amount of time allowed or conditions as to why the garda would be called out.
    I still have certain doubts about the monitoring service myself, theres the odd time the alarm has gone off by accident and is only disabled after a certain amount of time, but no phonecall from eircom to me,my partner or neighbours???

An alarm activation is only reported to the central station after 20 seconds.
    A panic alarm reports instantly.
    If your alarm has activated longer than that then request a reason from your monitoring station. It could be the alarm never set & an exit fault activated it. It could also be the system was not armed & activated by a tamper or fault.

Oh Sorry before you have a break down I pay €300 per year.

hi karl,
    this €300 covers the two services a year you are entitled too off eircom plus the monitoring of your alarm. in answer to your question yes it can be programed to ring your key holder depending on what system you have installed. do you know what system you have installed ? only thing with the wirefree simon and concord is it can only be programed to ring one phone..

hi karl,
    this €300 covers the two services a year you are entitled too off eircom plus the monitoring of your alarm. in answer to your question yes it can be programed to ring your key holder depending on what system you have installed. do you know what system you have installed ? only thing with the wirefree simon and concord is it can only be programed to ring one phone..

Is this true??
    Because I have the eircom phonewatch just over 2yrs now, and I received a letter after the first year, saying your system is no longer covered for services blah blah. if you want a service you must pay more etc....

In saying that, it has not had a single service since we've had it. :confused:

Pablod wrote: »
    Is this true??
    Because I have the eircom phonewatch just over 2yrs now, and I received a letter after the first year, saying your system is no longer covered for services blah blah. if you want a service you must pay more etc....

you are entitled to 2 services a year.. if you read there service contract it says it is up to the customer to ring and arrange the service, thats the joke about it, they only get in contact when they are looking for more money.. are you still monitored by phonewatch ?

you are entitled to 2 services a year.. if you read there service contract it says it is up to the customer to ring and arrange the service, thats the joke about it, they only get in contact when they are looking for more money.. are you still monitored by phonewatch ?

Is it not two call outs if there is a problem i.e if the alarm doesn't give trouble you wont see them.

Is it not two call outs if there is a problem i.e if the alarm doesn't give trouble you wont see them.

no, two services.. use to install them for phonewatch..

Is this true??

Your Eircom system is monitored right?
    For you to have monitoring with Garda response you must have a service & maintenance contract.

• Advertisement

Jes, that is a con!:mad:
    We'll as far as monitoring goes, I'm paying them €40 a month for 3yrs to pay for monitoring and to pay off for the hardware,
    Onces the 3yrs is over the hardware will be mine, then the monitoring will be approx €10 a month fee (unless there is another con in the contract)

We'll as far as monitoring goes, I'm paying them €40 a month for 3yrs to pay for monitoring and to pay off for the hardware,
    Onces the 3yrs is over the hardware will be mine, then the monitoring will be approx €10 a month fee (unless there is another con in the contract)

i would get on to them because you cant have a system monitored unless you have a service and maintenance contract in place.. they seem to get away with everything because they sell so many systems a year lining the NSAIs pockets..

crap, I've already been onto them, just waiting on a reply,
    Thanks for the head's up guys

i would get on to them because you cant have a system monitored unless you have a service and maintenance contract in place.. they seem to get away with everything because they sell so many systems a year lining the NSAIs pockets..

As far a I'm aware the standards state that the monitored alarm must be serviced by a registered alarm company and not necessarily have a contract in place.

Eircom will give a price over the phone which breaks the regulations because a site survey should be carried out before a price can be given and it should be signed by the customer.

Its not a con. Its the policy that is in place & they ,along with all other companies, must comply with it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok all, giving advice on systems is great, but please lets keep our house in order. So in describing a situation there is no need to use words like "con", just list the facts and users will decide for themselves is its a good or bad system/price/after sales service etc.
    If those facts are wrong, we have infrmed posters here to point that out.

Thank you.

at this point i would like to point out that eircom phonewatch have many types of contracts usually depending on who sold/installed the system.
    firstly they have inhouse sales then they also have the companys who do their installing aka their agents and finally they employ the services of sales companys who might have knocked at your door trying to sell you their system.
    all of the above mentioned have various types contracts which change from month to month depending on what special offer is ongoing.
    to start a debate about what one customer is paying against what another customer is paying is futile. as altor has stated they shift so many nasi certs they are a law onto themselves.

Its not a con. Its the policy that is in place & they ,along with all other companies, must comply with it
    Stoner wrote: »
    Ok all, giving advice on systems is great, but please lets keep our house in order. So in describing a situation there is no need to use words like "con", just list the facts and users will decide for themselves is its a good or bad system/price/after sales service etc.
    If those facts are wrong, we have infrmed posters here to point that out.

Thank you.

Apologies guys, maybe I used the word 'Con' in the wrong context.
    I know terms and conditions are there to be read, but to be fair, and lets be honest, nobody reads the full T's&C's of a long contract when using a service or utility company like this.

Anyway, I'll post the results once I hear back from my query to Eircom Phone watch
    Thanks Again

I know terms and conditions are there to be read, but to be fair, and lets be honest, nobody reads the full T's&C's of a long contract when using a service or utility company like this.
    In that case its quite possible you are complaining about something you have already agreed to.:eek:

• Advertisement

In that case its quite possible you are complaining about something you have already agreed to.:eek:

No No - not complaining,
    Just asking questions :D

Advertisement