Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-05-2009, 16:26   #1
My name is Mud

Taxi skills test

About time too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking53.htm

Quote:
Taxi drivers given 'no warning' of skills test
TIM O'BRIEN

The campaign group Taxi Drivers for Change has said it was not given advance notice of this morning's introduction of new driver skills tests, by the Commission for Taxi regulation.

The Commission announced it will be mandatory for all new entrants to the small public service vehicle (SPSV) industry to engage in a skills development programme, and an area knowledge test.

The skills development programme will be rolled out to existing drivers on a phased basis.

From today new entrants to the industry will face a test on:

- The basic rules of operating in the SPSV industry, including licensing, regulations, rights and responsibilities

- Vehicles, including standards, testing and maintenance

- Area knowledge, route selection, map reading, testing and fares

- Delivering customer satisfaction, including disability awareness, diversity and equality and complaints

- The SPSV business, including planning, promoting and running a business

- Safety, including personal security, health and safety and emergency situations.

Commissioner for Taxi Regulation, Kathleen Doyle commented; "I acknowledge that many drivers already offer an excellent service, however, ongoing personal development is a necessary requirement of any successful business and it is part of the Commission's objective to ensure that the SPSV industry has highly skilled drivers delivering high quality services."

However Frank Byrne of Drivers for Change criticised the lack of consultation with existing drivers before the announcement.

While he said the skills programme was a good idea, he said it did not go far enough.

He said it should include a far greater practical element similar to that used in London.

He also criticised its extension to existing drivers remarking that he had sixteen years experience.

"Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?" he asked.
Advertisement
11-05-2009, 17:08   #2
murphaph

Quote:
He also criticised its extension to existing drivers remarking that he had sixteen years experience.

"Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?" he asked.
Yes Frank, you are. What's the problem if you know your job (shouldn't that read: business?) anyway?

Hopefully the start of an in-depth knowledge of London style test that will put the cowboys (including the ones with 16 years experience) off the road.
(3) thanks from:
11-05-2009, 17:09   #3
bladespin

Great idea and so long overdue.
Thanks from:
11-05-2009, 17:20   #4
My name is Mud

Its unreal the reaction from this Frank Byrne...

Quote:
"Am I to have to now sit a test to keep my job?"
Yes. You will be tested for competency in your chosen field of business.

No doubt some sort of protest will be fashioned.

DAY DUCK UR JIBS etc
11-05-2009, 17:30   #5
paulm17781
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is Mud View Post
Yes. You will be tested for competency in your chosen field of business.
It would be kind of funny if he failed the test, with his 16 years experience.
Advertisement
11-05-2009, 17:40   #6
murphaph

I'd break my hole laughing if all the old heads failed and the "foreigners" and "part timers" passed. It'd be so ironic. I would hope to God though that anyone driving for 16 years would pass with flying colours. Perhaps the test should be made a bit harder for them
11-05-2009, 18:21   #7
bazzer

In my experience, a simple refresher course on the Rules of The Road would work wonders. If they used their indicators as much as their horns, the streets would be much nicer places.
11-05-2009, 20:24   #8
patrickc

maybe taxi drivers will learn what hazard lights are really for, and not an emergency stop for a passenger

Last edited by patrickc; 11-05-2009 at 22:05.
12-05-2009, 10:43   #9
IIMII

Just looking at the Taxi Regulator website, and there is a link to spsvtest.ie and another to http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/P...ionalHome.aspx.

So basically the old system of €3 at the motortax office and drop your application into the Garda station is gone now?

Am I right in thinking that you now do these tests, submit the results to the Gardaí, get cleared and off you go?

How does this differ to the past? Just the area knowlege test or is their more?
Advertisement
12-05-2009, 11:07   #10
Sponge Bob
Banned

Introducing this stuff at short or no notice is indicative of an arrogant and stupid regulator wiping her own arse as she goes along, Frank is quite right to complain .

This should have been brought in as an entry condition to having the right to drive a plated car and not as a measure to belatedly clean up the hideous mess that she herself has created . It should also go with the driver not the car of course .
Thanks from:
12-05-2009, 11:09   #11
paulm17781
Closed Account

I e-mailed her about the protests when that started and she told me about the test then, I would assume other people knew too.
12-05-2009, 11:11   #12
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMII View Post
Just looking at the Taxi Regulator website, and there is a link to spsvtest.ie and another to http://eu-securereg3.prometric.com/P...ionalHome.aspx.

So basically the old system of €3 at the motortax office and drop your application into the Garda station is gone now?

Am I right in thinking that you now do these tests, submit the results to the Gardaí, get cleared and off you go?

How does this differ to the past? Just the area knowlege test or is their more?
The old Garda based system will be done away with from July 1st, yes. The new procedure is listed here and to be fair, it's well laid out here. Interesting to notice that the cost of a PSV has now shot up which should slow up applicants from those who see it as pocket money or a nixer type job. I am not too impressed at the sound of a mere 36 locally based questions on the test; unless there is a bank of thousands of questions that are quite stiff, it may be piecemeal.

http://www.spsvtest.ie/getting_licen...-to-licensing/

http://www.spsvtest.ie/faqs/
Thanks from:
12-05-2009, 11:17   #13
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm17781 View Post
I e-mailed her about the protests when that started and she told me about the test then, I would assume other people knew too.
The word on the rank over the last year was that these tests were coming in soon but there was no indication as to when; not too many knew that it was a computer based test as it wasn't heralded too much.
12-05-2009, 11:18   #14
IIMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham'nd'egger View Post
The old Garda based system will be done away with from July 1st, yes.
What was the old Garda based system? In the country it was an interview, but in Dublin (all cities?) there wasis already a gepgraphic test? So applicants until the July 1st do the old test and then have to do the new test again before December?

Did I not read somewhere recently that the PSV badge element is also going up from €3 to €250 or something? What's this about?
12-05-2009, 11:18   #15
IIMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham'nd'egger View Post
not too many knew that it was a computer based test as it wasn't heralded too much.
Betcha it's the e-voting machines converted

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion