Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynecomastia surgery: experiences?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm due to finally see a plastic surgery consultant this coming Tuesday as I have been going around with "male boobs" for far too long. I have lost 15kg plus in the past five months and they have not declined to any noticeable degree. It's more despairing than ever when you put in the personal effort.

I am a regular visitor to the gynecomastia. org's discussion forum (http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/) but it has little or no information about the best treatment here in Ireland.

Does anybody have any recommendation or advise about the entire process here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Also looking for info on this lads. I have lost a good bit of fat over the last while but it has made zero difference to the moobs. Have looked at the dundrum clinic which has good info on their site, but has anyone consulted with those guys?

BTW you can post ANONYMOUSLY on this forum if you don't want your account to show up.

I had it done about 10 years ago in London, not sure now what type of procedure but it hurt like hell afterwords as there was a Lot of bruising and when i woke up there was draining tubes under my arm pits draining out all the cack, which takes sometime and it's very hard to get any sleep, i didn't tell anyone afterwords either which was a mistake as i couldn't leave the house for a couple of days. This is not something to be taken lightly but for me it was the best thing i ever did, good luck

I had it done a few months ago in Dundrum, cant fault anything procedure wise except there is only one follow up examination, where you are told how great the results are, just so you feel satisfied. I feel the main thing is not to have too high hopes of the results, as I got a somewhat false sense of security that they would be almost gone in their totality, which is not the case, they are smaller, but not as small as I would have hoped, the compression vest is a great help. I have absolutely no regrets after getting it done, I might consider going back for more to reduce it further over the next few yrs. But since I have seen that it can be carried out in a general hospital with GP referral, could have saved €3k! but all in all it was well worth it, my confidence has risen significantly and I can see my life changing for the better, didn’t mean to sound so corny but post up how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Thank you so much, lads. I had forgotten about this thread as I received no responses but it's really great to hear from a couple of people who have had it.

Anyway, the reason I can get it done now is because I, too, found out that I can have the operation in a public hospital under public health insurance. I basically asked my GP about it and he wrote a letter out there and then to my preferred hospital (he asked me where did I want to go). However, I was waiting for over a year for my appointment. I would still be waiting but for I rang up and spoke with the appointments girl in Out Patients and she moved the date forward. You have to keep the pressure on them.

So, how did I get on with the plastic surgery consultant?
    After the usual hour-plus in the waiting room, his intern called me in and took my details (weight, medical history etc), and then I went to a nurse who weighed me and took my height.

The consultant, who is Irish and well known in this field, finally showed up and I just stripped at my top and he looked at it and the file. He said I'd definitely be a candidate but I would have to lose some 15kg more as the chances of success are much greater if I am normal weight. He really emphasised that connection so that is completely reasonable and I'll do that.

However, he was almost against the idea of gynecomastia surgery. First, he pointed out that because I am coming in under the public health system I would not be eligible for liposuction in this public hospital. He then said I could be waiting longer as in the dispensation of public resources I am naturally going to come after somebody who needs cancer treatment or such. Fair enough.

What disturbed me somewhat was in warning me about the dangers of gynecomastia surgery he emphasised the dangers (and this is where he really emphasised the need to lose more weight), speaking of the possibility of scars and that the more fat that was to be taken from my chest the bigger would be the scar. He was saying it is still tricky surgery and not a simple straightforward operation. He smirked when I said would I be able to go home the same day: not possible, he assured me.

Anyway, he wants me to come back at the end of July for an update. Hopefully, more people will post her with their experiences and questions in the meantime.

I had it done about 10 years ago in London, not sure now what type of procedure but it hurt like hell afterwords as there was a Lot of bruising and when i woke up there was draining tubes under my arm pits draining out all the cack, which takes sometime and it's very hard to get any sleep, i didn't tell anyone afterwords either which was a mistake as i couldn't leave the house for a couple of days. This is not something to be taken lightly but for me it was the best thing i ever did, good luck

Thanks. How many kg did they take off your chest? Did he remove as much as you wanted him to? And are there any visible scars on your body now? Were they bad after the surgery and did it take long for them to go?

Very encouraging to hear it was worth it.

• Advertisement

I had it done a few months ago in Dundrum, cant fault anything procedure wise except there is only one follow up examination, where you are told how great the results are, just so you feel satisfied. I feel the main thing is not to have too high hopes of the results, as I got a somewhat false sense of security that they would be almost gone in their totality, which is not the case, they are smaller, but not as small as I would have hoped, the compression vest is a great help. I have absolutely no regrets after getting it done, I might consider going back for more to reduce it further over the next few yrs. But since I have seen that it can be carried out in a general hospital with GP referral, could have saved €3k! but all in all it was well worth it, my confidence has risen significantly and I can see my life changing for the better, didn’t mean to sound so corny but post up how you get on.

Thanks. They've been keeping the public hospital service very quiet alright. I have heard of several people going back for surgery to reduce it further. RTÉ had a programme on it in the past year or so and one of the guys said he had to have a second operation as the surgeon didn't remove enough fat from the side of each 'boob'. It is good to know you have the option of going back.

How long did you have to wear the compression vest for, and was it 24 hours per day? Did he remove much in terms of weight and have you still got scars/ were they initially bad? Can you walk around with your shirt off without people noticing any marks?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

theres a programme on on CH4(i think)called extreme male beauty and it shows a guy getting his moobs removed.In the programme they never mentioned anything about him having to lose weight nor did the scars appear too visible.Id have a look and see if theres any re-runs on this programme as it seemed like a very straight forward acessible op,but then again thats TV for ya.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Thanks. How many kg did they take off your chest? Did he remove as much as you wanted him to? And are there any visible scars on your body now? Were they bad after the surgery and did it take long for them to go?

Very encouraging to hear it was worth it.

I don't remember any weight being mentioned, it was more to do with the final look and the doc decided on that, there are no visible scars now and it took about a year or two to disappear, after the operation things were a bit brutal for a while with it taking 6 weeks for the bruising to go down and the scaring to calm down after that no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sidmangreene

I have a consultation with dundrum clinic next week, what is the plastic surgeon like? I just want a flat chest bloody sick of this...! Do think its worth it?

cheers

I have a consultation with dundrum clinic next week, what is the plastic surgeon like? I just want a flat chest bloody sick of this...! Do think its worth it?

cheers

yea it is defo worth it, but the results the next day are a semi-false indication of the level of flat chestedness which will be achieved, as everything is liquidified and solidifies over the coming days, it will take a month for the bruising to fade, and they will be sore for weeks after if you bump off anything, to be honest i think dundrum is the only option, i researched all irish options and believe it to be the best, if i had before and after pics i would show them, but while the moobs are not gone in their entirety they are not as saggy, i have a 1cm long scar to the armpit side of my chest, is dark red, it is noticable but it will fade to normal skin tone in time, i will start using bio oil soon, but im my opinion it was most definatley worth it, form both a physique and esteem point of view.

hope the consultation goes well, it was very straight forward when i did it, they are honest about everything, post up how you get on

• Advertisement

Hi all dragging this up again!

I had a look around the web for this and i def want to go ahead with it as ive suffered long enough with me moobs!

How much did it cost in total and how long did it take from applying to getting it done??

i dont mind paying for it but have to justify irt when i have a family too!

just wondering how much this costs overall and how long does it take from making a appointment
    thanx

it took me about 3 months from first consultation to operation, and cost me €3k in dundrum, best money i ever spent :)

i had it done about 3 months ago, it cost 3k and was about two months from initial consultation to operation, i would book a few days off after it though, it can be uncomfortable, but would definately recomend getting it done, hope all goes well

just hat my consluation in dundrum the other day, very well informed i have to say and am booked it for a few weeks time to get the laser thing done, getting a bit aphrensive now.

Was it sore?? and i was quoated euro 3,500!! How did ye get it so cheap!?!?!?

Thanks for the replys lads!

just hat my consluation in dundrum the other day, very well informed i have to say and am booked it for a few weeks time to get the laser thing done, getting a bit aphrensive now.

btw i posted responses #4, 11 & 15

when i looked it up on the web it was 3.5K but in the consultation they said it was 2.9K,
    tbh its a doddle, dont get worked up over it, theres no need, its only slightly sore a few days after, take a day or two off work afterwards and just take it easy, hope it goes well, keep us informed

Hi

Just wanted to add my experience. I've done a smartlipo treatment on my chest to reduce them, and it made it worse. I've paid £1600 in London. After 8 months, I've decided to get it done again, because it's bothering me soo much, so I wanted to go to the best due to my previous experience. I've decided on Harley Medical Group. My operation is booked for Monday 22nd June. Please guys, pray for me as this really bothers me, i have no confidence, I'm only 24, i'm not overweight, only 75kg. I will let you know of the results.

Hi

Just wanted to add my experience. I've done a smartlipo treatment on my chest to reduce them, and it made it worse. I've paid £1600 in London. After 8 months, I've decided to get it done again, because it's bothering me soo much, so I wanted to go to the best due to my previous experience. I've decided on Harley Medical Group. My operation is booked for Monday 22nd June. Please guys, pray for me as this really bothers me, i have no confidence, I'm only 24, i'm not overweight, only 75kg. I will let you know of the results.

first i want to saw good luck wit the up coming treatment, did they swell up or what happened to make it worse did you complain to the clinic that did it about the poor outcome? i was reply #17 just so you know, i had it done a few months ago, its alot better but i still want to go back to get them reduced further, i agree that they are a terrible strain on confidence, my self esteem has risen alot since getting it done, hope all goes well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stephenofarell

Hi, did you go for the surgery? How did you get on? Do you have a flat chest? I have the same problem and I would like to get rid off the male boobs as they are taking over my social and college life! I have no confidence and very low self-esteem. I don't even go out to nightclubs anymore coz of them! please help!!

hi guys

it has been two weeks post surgery, and i can say that i have a flat chest. I've done lots of muscle building exercises in the past just to get rid of my manboobs, but it made it worse. But because there is no fat and no glandular tissue, my chest looks very nice. The surgery itself was very good. Didn't have any problems. Didn't have any discomfort after surgery, was given pain killers but didn't need to take them at all. I can't wait to remove the vest, this is life chaning. 4K well spent. My only advice to you is, if you have gynecomastia and you have tried dieting ( i did, i lost 10kg with no luck) and didn't get any results, your only hope is surgery. Dont wait anymore longer, get it done asap, it's expensive, but remember this is going to change your life. Get a job, save up, get it done.

• Advertisement

hi guys

it has been two weeks post surgery, and i can say that i have a flat chest. I've done lots of muscle building exercises in the past just to get rid of my manboobs, but it made it worse. But because there is no fat and no glandular tissue, my chest looks very nice. The surgery itself was very good. Didn't have any problems. Didn't have any discomfort after surgery, was given pain killers but didn't need to take them at all. I can't wait to remove the vest, this is life chaning. 4K well spent. My only advice to you is, if you have gynecomastia and you have tried dieting ( i did, i lost 10kg with no luck) and didn't get any results, your only hope is surgery. Dont wait anymore longer, get it done asap, it's expensive, but remember this is going to change your life. Get a job, save up, get it done.

great to hear, where did you get it done, what was the procedure, im strongly thinking of it, just looking for some patient info, thanks

Really looking into getting this done myself. Could do with losing 2-3 stone first though and will be doing that bigtime starting from tomorrow. Then I'll go to the GP and find out. I wold love to have it for free, in a public hospital. I had a frenuloplasty (removal of banjo string) in a public hospital back in 2006 and it was a real doddle. I just don't have a spare 4k lying around the house. All I can do is get the excess weight off and head to the GP! Can't even imagine how great I would feel with these man boobs removed!

Hi i had it done just over a month now, chest is still swollen a bit i think/hope as the doc said it will take 6 months for true results. (come to think of it, its the same really for any other part of the body that swells up.

Feeling alot more confident wearing t-shirts now. I was happy with the procedure and its just a unusual feeling as to being in any pain. Will wait another while before deciding if im happy with it. Want to see will they go down anymore.

By the way are all yous who got the sugery still wearing the vest? i stoped after 3 1/5 weeks and starter wearing the tight sports t-shirts under clothes and using bio-oil now twice a day aswell.???Any toughts on this. On gyencamanestia.org plenty have said they stoped wearing the vest after a aweek and were grand??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Well if it were me in the same position, and I was told wear something for X weeks, I'd be wearing it. Especially as the results tend to mean so much to people and can literally be life changing. Add into that the fact that it's not a cheap procedure to get done, and well, I'd be protecting my investment any way I was told to!

Believing stories off random websites with random posters is a dangerous game. It's why we don't allow medical advice here.

Well if it were me in the same position, and I was told wear something for X weeks, I'd be wearing it. Especially as the results tend to mean so much to people and can literally be life changing. Add into that the fact that it's not a cheap procedure to get done, and well, I'd be protecting my investment any way I was told to!

Believing stories off random websites with random posters is a dangerous game. It's why we don't allow medical advice here.

I under stand that and tought alot about it, I had 4 different consulations and each said i haveto wear the compression vest for a week to six. I find it very uncomfortable, especially in the weather you be sweating and then it stinks! Patient Consulant told me the same thing and that each person is different. Just really wondering what other people think and how they did it, I still wear mine in the night time most nights but not as rigid as i used to.

As for beleving random stories off websites??? Isnt that mainly what boards.ie is?? HAHAHAHAHA Only messing!!

I under stand that and tought alot about it, I had 4 different consulations and each said i haveto wear the compression vest for a week to six. I find it very uncomfortable, especially in the weather you be sweating and then it stinks! Patient Consulant told me the same thing and that each person is different. Just really wondering what other people think and how they did it, I still wear mine in the night time most nights but not as rigid as i used to.

As for beleving random stories off websites??? Isnt that mainly what boards.ie is?? HAHAHAHAHA Only messing!!

hi im just wondering what clinics you had the consultations with and what preference you have towards one,

Hey guys,
    I just want to add my experience. I went to dundrum clinic for a consultation about a month ago and decided to go ahead with the surgery and i must say it was the best decision i ever made i'm happy with my results. i was wide awake during the surgery which was weird but the surgeon was very good he kept my mind off the surgery and i didn't feel any pain. after the surgery my chest was a bit sore though but its grand now it's been nearly a week and i'm due my follow up on monday i was told to wear the garment for 4 weeks and i would agree its annoying in dis heat but i'm not complaining as i would finally be able to walk on the beach topless in few weeks time so im delighted:)

Hey guys,
    I just want to add my experience. I went to dundrum clinic for a consultation about a month ago and decided to go ahead with the surgery and i must say it was the best decision i ever made i'm happy with my results. i was wide awake during the surgery which was weird but the surgeon was very good he kept my mind off the surgery and i didn't feel any pain. after the surgery my chest was a bit sore though but its grand now it's been nearly a week and i'm due my follow up on monday i was told to wear the garment for 4 weeks and i would agree its annoying in dis heat but i'm not complaining as i would finally be able to walk on the beach topless in few weeks time so im delighted:)

Fair play for getting it done, How much did it cost for the surgery??

Fair play for getting it done, How much did it cost for the surgery??

there's a special offer on in dundrum clinic so i got it done for €2'850 i got €1'000 off which was brilliant!!

• Advertisement

Just wondering to all thoese that got this done , now that a few weeks have passed are ye still happy?? are they (breasts) still reducing? How is the scars? And are they starting to become less visible??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement