Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational

• 23-04-2009 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

You, your friends and anyone you would like to bring along are cordially invited to the CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational on May 9th, in aid of Temple Street Children’s Hospital. We would love you to pop down and have a go, and see what this is all about. We have a fun, friendly and welcoming approach to fitness and believe there is nobody out there that wouldn’t benefit from being in just a little better shape.

Whether you are a weekend warrior, a seasoned gym buddy, footballer, rugby player, martial artists, bike racer or powerlifter we would love to have you down.

The day will run as follows:

9.00am: Registration of Athletes (anyone who shows up is called an Athlete in our eyes)
    9.30am: Welcoming Talk - explanation of format and movement standards
    10.00am: First Workout (approx 10 minutes)
    11.00am: Second Workout (approx 10 minutes)
    12:00: Lunch
    1:00pm: Third Workout (approx 10 minutes)
    2:00pm: Medal Ceremony

We have some intra club competitions and rivalry but that’s all part of the fun. As a incentive we are committing to putting €250 of our own money into the kitty for Temple Street if anybody can beat the coaches in the total events. We secretly hope someone does as we know there are a lot of people working out using CrossFit or a mix of it at home.

To find out more about how you can enter, have fun, get a bit fitter, and raise money for a good cause, call 086-8151092 or email info@crossfit.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

What do the workouts entail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Who cares they're only 10minutes long and it's for charity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Sounds great. I won't be around on the 9th but I'd have liked to show how a fat powerlifter can kick the crap outa all you skinny-ass crossfitters! Plus it's for a deadly cause. Fair play for organizing it.

What are the events and would you have to beat the coaches in a total score or just in the individual events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Thanks Barry.

The Super Secret (last workout) is already decided and will be told to competitors after Workout 2. Workouts 1 and 2 are being designed by Tom and Jeff. These two guys have had a friendly rivalry brewing up which sparked off the whole idea. They're going to be competing in our special shield, much like these two guys did - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U :D:D:D

We'll announce the workouts a few days before the event, but being CrossFit, it's going to have skipping, squatting, jumping, pull ups, push ups, cleans, presses, lifting, and all manner of fun that we do.

As for beating the coaches, we know there's some serious fire breathers out there who just chip away at home or in their local gym. This would be a great chance to compete at working out, which we've found to be excellent fun and also helps people get fitter, faster.

We'll donate money for every event we're beaten in, and an extra €250 if someone beats the coaches overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

By "event" do you mean the 3 challenges, or if there's 4 different aspects per challenge, do you donatefor each of the aspects within the challenge that you're defeated?

I so might be up for this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hanley wrote: »

I so might be up for this....

Me too.

Colm, what happens if you can't do something. For example, I can't do a pull-up to save my life, would you just do another comparable exercise instead?

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Colm, what happens if you can't do something. For example, I can't do a pull-up to save my life, would you just do another comparable exercise instead?

Pretty sure you can scale it. They're probably let you jump up and down clapping your hands instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Pretty sure you can scale it. They're probably let you jump up and down clapping your hands instead :D

PMSL

Not around the 9th unfortunately. Would have loved a shot.

Hanley, Malteaser (I really should know your actual names by now)

If someone beats myself or will at workout 1 (say, for ****s and giggles it's 3 rounds of 400m run, 20 push ups) we'll donate €50 if we're beat. If someone beats us in total score across the 3 workouts, we'll donate a further €250.

If someone couldn't do a workout or part of it, we could scale the workout down. So if you can't lift 40Kg (or whatever) we'd drop the weight until it's manageable. If you can't do pull ups, we can do band assisted pull ups. If you're unfamiliar with these, they're large rubber bands of different strength that help push your feet up so you can complete a pull up.

We really want everyone who comes out to have a great time helping a worthy cause. So if you're a serious athlete, you'll have the thrill of a new type of competition. If you're simply curious about what we do and want a good time, you'll have fun working out in a group environment.

Glad to see there's such interest in this.

Colm,

Without telling us the challenges, what would you suggest are the most important things to be able to do (running etc)

There's a little over 2 weeks to get ready for this, and as a fat powerlifter (see the IDFPA thread for pics!!) I'd die on the cardio aspect. What's the best way to get ready??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Colm,

Without telling us the challenges, what would you suggest are the most important things to be able to do (running etc)

There's a little over 2 weeks to get ready for this, and as a fat powerlifter (see the IDFPA thread for pics!!) I'd die on the cardio aspect. What's the best way to get ready??

I'd recommend giving the cardiac clinic a heads up first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

LMAO.

Count me in also - feck crossfit trainers my money is going on i will beat Hanley!!

I'm taking names baby!

Well I'd advise you to work on your weaknesses if you want to compete. If you suck at "cardio" work, do that, short and fast. If you are lagging behind in the bodyweight department, do that. If you've never lifted anything heavy, do that.

Glad to have you onboard Derrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Yeah, I think I'd like to do this too :)

Your split snatches need serious work btw Colm.... :p

No feckin snatches please!

Transform wrote: »
    LOTS OF feckin snatches please!
    Fixed that for you :D

kevpants wrote: »
    I'd recommend giving the cardiac clinic a heads up first and foremost.

First off, jerk.
    LMAO.

Count me in also - feck crossfit trainers my money is going on i will beat Hanley!!

I'm taking names baby!

That's hardly fair?? It's no secret that I don't really move that well!! Gimme something heavy and I'll lift that.

Actually Colm, can we scratch the whole moving aspect and just lift sh!t???? Please????

Well I'd advise you to work on your weaknesses if you want to compete. If you suck at "cardio" work, do that, short and fast. If you are lagging behind in the bodyweight department, do that. If you've never lifted anything heavy, do that.

Glad to have you onboard Derrick.

So for the cardio, hill sprints, intervals etc etc??

I assume we can expect some chinning movements too.

Any bodyweight exercises like burpee's etc you'd recommend we work on??

g'em wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'd like to do this too :)

Your split snatches need serious work btw Colm.... :p

I know, I know! Gonna enter the Leinster Open in June, so I'll try make one session at least out in Hercs with you guys before then.

Gonna enter the Leinster Open in June, so I'll try make one session at least out in Hercs with you guys before then.
    Leinster Open is on 25th July in Coolmine so plenty of time for practice ;)

That's about the same time as the Focus Ireland Triathlon. Gonna be a busy July.

Have you links to the Comp?

Is this still correct - http://weightlifting.informe.com/irish-senior-championships-2009-dt607.html, comp on Saturday?

• Advertisement

Have you links to the Comp?
    Jaysus no, we're not that technomologically advanced yet :D The link you gave (which is spot on) is all we got!

Out of curiosity, which weight class would you be in?

****e moving gaf tomorrow so I don't think I'll get over to that with all the work going on on Saturday. What time does it go on until generally? Might be able to go over and watch in the evening and bring the boy.

I walk around about 75-77Kg. I'm not sure how much spare Colm I could shift and make 69Kg to lift.

Guys,

If you're taking part (or would just like to help out) please call Aisling in the Fundraising office on 01 878 4344or email Aisling dot andrews at cuh dot ie to pick yourself up a sponsorship card.

Roper wrote: »
    ****e moving gaf tomorrow so I don't think I'll get over to that with all the work going on on Saturday. What time does it go on until generally? Might be able to go over and watch in the evening and bring the boy.
    It won't go on that long into the afternoon tbh - maybe about 4ish?
    I walk around about 75-77Kg. I'm not sure how much spare Colm I could shift and make 69Kg to lift.
    Excellent. Same weight class as Cathal Byrd so :D

Joking aside the IAWLA are just a phenomenally great bunch of folk - you'll be welcomed with open arms at the Leinsters and it'll be a cracking day :)

Colm - is there a fee for taking part in your event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Are you planning on removing a limb for this?!

We're giving our guys sponsorship cards to help raise some fundage. I don't want to put a strict amount on it but if you really don't want to get a sponsorship card, €20 would be the entry fee. All going to Temple St of course.

I've hit a 70Kg Snatch once, and can get 85Kg on the C&J, so that's where I'm at lifting wise.

How fat are you right now? That snatch must be at least BW?

I won't be there as in all likelihood I'll be knee deep in other crap that day but everybody else should go as it has the Roper seal of approval. Sounds like a fun day and as a former customer of Temple Street and having spent an evening or two sweating in a waiting room there I encourage you all to dig deep muddafukkahs!!!

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Are you planning on removing a limb for this?!

I cut from 73Kg to 67Kg once in a few days for a BJJ comp, ate a bunch of peanut M&Ms and then did alright, but you can get by with skill at these comps. Bit of a difference when you've to make weight, then put out maximal effort jumps with a heavy barbell attached to your arms.
    How fat are you right now? That snatch must be at least BW?

I resent the premise of that question Roper! At a guess I'd say I could drop 4-5Kg to be pretty darn ripped. Wonder how that would affect my performance overall. Whether I could go back to cutting *shivers* and still lift I don't know. We'll see.

Cutting is deadly I love drinking 8 litres of water a day. You could try the muffin plan I cut 4 kgs on that once. But I was 25.

In any case, maybe you could forward details of how KO could help out with the fundraising?

• Advertisement

I've just been been looking at the Crossfit website, I've never even done half the exercises posted...this is gonna be gas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I'd be well up for doing this, sounds like it will be great fun and all for an excellent cause.

Colm, you probably havn't figured this out but I used to train with you in UCD, wrestling mainly and a bit of BJJ. It's easy to figure out who you are when you post as your full real name - not so easy to make the link from slicus ricus to richie!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I've just been been looking at the Crossfit website, I've never even done half the exercises posted...this is gonna be gas!!

Yeah hopefully it'll turn out to be a fun filled morning! (and we get the weather)

We've designed the workouts to be scalable up and down so that everyone can take part and have a challenging day. If you are thinking of seriously competing, because I know a lot of people are gunning for me, make sure you try a couple of CrossFit workouts before you come down, just so you get used to the feeling of lifting while out of breath.

If it's your very first exposure to CrossFit on the day, we'll make sure you're well taken care of, giving you just enough to experience CF without over exposing you to it.

Once again, thanks for all your help and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Yeah hopefully it'll turn out to be a fun filled morning! (and we get the weather)

We've designed the workouts to be scalable up and down so that everyone can take part and have a challenging day. If you are thinking of seriously competing, because I know a lot of people are gunning for me, make sure you try a couple of CrossFit workouts before you come down, just so you get used to the feeling of lifting while out of breath.

If it's your very first exposure to CrossFit on the day, we'll make sure you're well taken care of, giving you just enough to experience CF without over exposing you to it.

Once again, thanks for all your help and support.

Colm if i make a trek up and bring some fat strong people do i still get that t-shirt u promised me!!!

Just bumping this so I can get an idea of numbers so I can plan the day to make it as smooth as possible for everyone.

Hanley, Malteaser, Transform, Richie, G'em?

If you are coming along, can you drop me an email or PM please?

Thanks once again for all the support shown so far!

i will indeed and as you know popped down yesterday evening for a session - box hops testing max height, then followed by 200m run and 15chins for 5 rounds (think it took me little over 10mins to complete). really enjoyed it and forgot to check what height i eventually got to on the box hops?

• Advertisement

Colm I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this now with the trip to Austria coming up [/shameless self-promotion :D] - would it be ok if I popped down on the day to take a look and not compete?

Colm,

I'll be there!! I'll PM ya this afternoon.

How'd your guys get on with the box jumps anyway??

g'em wrote: »
    Colm I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this now with the trip to Austria coming up [/shameless self-promotion :D] - would it be ok if I popped down on the day to take a look and not compete?

Sure, that's no problem. We might get you to do a few lifts to inspire our girlies though!
    i will indeed and as you know popped down yesterday evening for a session - box hops testing max height, then followed by 200m run and 15chins for 5 rounds (think it took me little over 10mins to complete). really enjoyed it and forgot to check what height i eventually got to on the box hops?

Thanks again for popping out yesterday. Transform did 5 jumps at about 48" give or take (24" box, 2 red plates, 4 blues, 1 green), which is damned impressive I have to say.

Colm, I'll be there also.

Sure, that's no problem. We might get you to do a few lifts to inspire our girlies though!
    No problemo - Saturday is usually an ancillary day for me anyway and if I'm surrounded by bars/ plates I'll be overcome with the urge to lift something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Was nice to Meet Dominic last night,

Me and one of the lads reckoned we were going to have him jump up onto a Yaris parked downstairs :D

Be great to meet a few people from on here and say hi,

well i think i had an unfair advantage - i was able to dunk the ball in basketball at about 15years old so always had lots of explosive power. The vid below illustates a 48inch box hop (obviously not me as i did 4 in a row!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezM5qBHQS3U

well i think i had an unfair advantage - i was able to dunk the ball in basketball at about 15years old so always had lots of explosive power. The vid below illustates a 48inch box hop (obviously not me as i did 4 in a row!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezM5qBHQS3U

That's pretty sweet!!! How tall are ya??

6'2" and this white man can jump

That's pretty sweet!!! How tall are ya??

Powerlifters would have lots of explosive strength, have you ever tested yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I'll be there, Colm. Will PM you now

gabgab wrote: »
    Powerlifters would have lots of explosive strength, have you ever tested yours?

Yah, you lightweight guys put me to shame tho!!

41.5 inches - tho I expect it'll go up as my weight comes down (I'm 109kg in it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

anything to show off eh hanley :D

anything to show off eh hanley :D

The only showing off that will happen at this thing is my complete inability to do anything but move heavy stuff up and down!!!

Yah, you lightweight guys put me to shame tho!!

41.5 inches - tho I expect it'll go up as my weight comes down (I'm 109kg in it)

109kg's, Ah come on I weigh 80kg's maybe 82kg's depending on day etc be interesting to see what you can do when you drop a bit.

Are you and Malteaser heading down to Crossfit before the sat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement