Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

oleras wrote: »
    Briquette test.

Dry water pan

IMG_20150625_152353793_1.jpg

After 3 hours and just 1 or 2 stokes of the fire. held a very constant 320-330

IMG_20150625_185513150_1.jpg

meat resting now.

Is that all the charcoal you used? Is it a 47 or 57cm smoker?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Brian? wrote: »
    Is that all the charcoal you used? Is it a 47 or 57cm smoker?

50cm, 20 inch diameter.
    yeah, that was all, around 2.5-3kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm gonna make these Potato Bombs this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Regards smoking meat how can you achieve this without a dedicated smoker? I have a small drum shaped BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Those BBQ pit boys are something else, check out the size of the guns they are casually strolling around with

murcia, freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Regards smoking meat how can you achieve this without a dedicated smoker? I have a small drum shaped BBQ

you can buy a small smoking box for the wood chips or you can use a foil box that your 3 in 1 came in from a chinese takeaway, put the wood chips into it damp and build your bbq fire at one end of the bbq with the chips down that end on the grill and the meat at the other end. So effectively the heat isn't direct onto the meat, your bbq should work like an oven instead of a grill but the chips should smolder as they are over the direct heat. obviously the top needs to be closed and low and slow is usually best for smoking. You can start things this way to get the smokey flavor in then finish in the oven if you worried about temp control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's fairly easy, I do it if I only want one or two racks of ribs.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/guide-to-grilling-smoking-on-a-charcoal-kettle-grill.html

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

salmocab wrote: »
    you can buy a small smoking box for the wood chips or you can use a foil box that your 3 in 1 came in from a chinese takeaway, put the wood chips into it damp and build your bbq fire at one end of the bbq with the chips down that end on the grill and the meat at the other end. So effectively the heat isn't direct onto the meat, your bbq should work like an oven instead of a grill but the chips should smolder as they are over the direct heat. obviously the top needs to be closed and low and slow is usually best for smoking. You can start things this way to get the smokey flavor in then finish in the oven if you worried about temp control.

No need to soak wood chips, doesn't do a thing.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

niallam wrote: »

Yes it does... It gets them wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Recommendations for something relatively quick (say 2hrs max) on the Weber smokey mountain ?
    Have done side of salmon and pork steak successfully in the past. Butterfly leg of lamb was OK, but better when sliced and re-fried on the pan.

Any ideas ?
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi PeteFalk78.

I've merged your thread with this one. It contains all you need to know about barbecue & grilling. If you can't find what you need - I'm sure one of our grilling gurus will be along shortly to advise you.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Hi PeteFalk78.

I've merged your thread with this one. It contains all you need to know about barbecue & grilling. If you can't find what you need - I'm sure one of our grilling gurus will be along shortly to advise you.

tHB

Oops sorry I thought I posted it in the wrong section and deleted. Here is the post again

Hi,

I've never had a BBQ before I bought a BBQ a few years ago and never used it. Unfortunately I can't find the booklet.

Basically should I use lava rocks/charcoal in this BBQ? Pics below (ignore rocks in pics and I was just trying them to see if they looked "right")
    Many thanks

11voepc.jpg

ok8zeb.jpg

fyfh5k.jpg

ourz8j.jpg

2qmkikw.jpg

14wdq9.jpg

2ex3r14.jpg

2hxre54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Lava rocks all the way.

Charcoal is used as a fuel source, you already have fuel i.e.gas, the rocks just heat up and act as a radiant heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

oleras wrote: »
    Lava rocks all the way.

Charcoal is used as a fuel source, you already have fuel i.e.gas, the rocks just heat up and act as a radiant heat.

Thanks very much. How far up (deep) should I put the rocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My tesco are selling boxes of wood chips, from Jim Beam barrels.

jim-beam.jpg

There was also a thing to hold chickens upright, like a beer can chicken, not sure if you could put liquid in it.

rubadub wrote: »
    My tesco are selling boxes of wood chips, from Jim Beam barrels.

jim-beam.jpg

There was also a thing to hold chickens upright, like a beer can chicken, not sure if you could put liquid in it.

I'm not sure if you'd taste any difference between those chips and normal oak chips.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I saw them in Tesco, think they were €11.99 or something? Seemed pricey compared to the offerings in Woodies which were around €6-8 though I'm not sure how they compared on quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Cocoon wrote: »
    Does anybody know where you could buy a large amount of quality lumpwood, I'd easy go through 100kg in a year.

What I did at the end of last summer was in B&Q normally have a sale and they were selling of all the summer stuff and they were selling of 7kg bags of charcoal and briquettes for 4 euro. So I proceeded to by a couple.

This year they had another sale on the June weekend and again 7kg bags for 4euro. So I bought 8 ðŸ˜႒ that should last me for the summer or longer with this weather. Best keep your eye open, I would say September time

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

It's a bit of struggle to get lumpwood charcoal during the winter months in Dublin, I'll make sure I'm not caught out again. Has anyone used this stuff by any chance and if so is it any use? http://homefuel.ie/products.php?cat=20&supplier-id=26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd steer clear of anything that says "easy light" for BBQing, personally. I use these guys - the Namibian charcoal is really good:

http://www.woodfuel.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Cheers that's exactly why I asked, food tasting of lighter fuel blows!

Thanks for the link also, I'll give them a shot.

Just in B&Q today and their own brand (Diall) lumpwood 7kg charcoal was €10?! That's a crazy price increase they were selling it at €8 per bag last year. They are also selling the briquettes in 6kg bags for €12.

Lucky I bought 8 bags of lumpwood last September for €4/bag so I'm good for next couple of months buy I can't see myself buying much at those prices....

What could save me is I'm starting to use real wood. I've come into a good supply of seasoned hardwood and steaks done over wood there is nothing better. Still there is a bit more to it in controlling the fire etc. Dream project is an Argentinian Asado grill with a fire box and a grill plate that can be lowered and raised by a pully system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ECO_Mental wrote:
    What could save me is I'm starting to use real wood. I've come into a good supply of seasoned hardwood and steaks done over wood there is nothing better. Still there is a bit more to it in controlling the fire etc. Dream project is an Argentinian Asado grill with a fire box and a grill plate that can be lowered and raised by a pully system.

The argentinian grills I saw were the back of peoples house ones - like a large raised fireplace with a chimney .. there was a grill section (didnt see a pulley) and a fire basket ( like a cross between a fire grate and a magazine rack ) , so you could shovel extra coals under the grill ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    The argentinian grills I saw were the back of peoples house ones - like a large raised fireplace with a chimney .. there was a grill section (didnt see a pulley) and a fire basket ( like a cross between a fire grate and a magazine rack ) , so you could shovel extra coals under the grill ,

That's the one alright a bit more involved more a set up for doing a lot of grilling not just a one off steak.

Anybody got any pions or experience with these smoke generators?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/smoke-generator-2-3-l-cold-smoking-smoker-bbq/10363007

thanks

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/smoke-generator-2-3-l-cold-smoking-smoker-bbq/10363007

thanks

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

These would be the most widly used smoke generators..

unklerosco wrote: »

I don't understand the point of these. On a gas grill you wrap woodchips in tin foil and poke a load of holes in it. On a charcoal grill or smoker you put lumps or chips of wood in the coals. These gadgets seem pointless.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

unklerosco wrote: »

Can these be used on a gas BBQ? Whilst I love the convenience of just being able to turn on and use my Weber gas BBQ all year round I miss the flavour charcoal and wood chips used to impart from my old Weber kettle BBQ :confused:

• Advertisement

thanks

That's for cold smoking. BBQ is hot smoking.

What are you trying to do? I can point you in the right direction. I smoke on a gas grill, charcoal kettle and a Smokey Mountain smoker.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement