Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking practice: List of Ball Alleys / Hurling walls / Suitable Alternatives

Options
  • 09-04-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

In light of the beginning hurling thread, I thought it might be useful to start a thread on this.

Off the top of my head, I know of Hurling Walls at Kilmacud Crokes (Stillorgan), Craughwell (Galway), Kiltale (Meath) and a half finished one in Faughs (Dublin).

There is a ball alley in Blackrock College (discovered that by complete accident and it's huge), another on the west side of Kilkenny (beside a roundabout whose name I can't think of), and one I remember from years ago on Inis Mór.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Not so much adding as giving a link to an architectural link blog done by Aine Ryan to these beautiful and now quirky structures throughout the Irish landscape.

http://www.irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They are great. Every club should have one. We hope to build one this year. To get any value it does'nt have to be 60x30 some clubs wont be able to afford one but we are using a wall on our clubhouse and adapting it. We will do all the work or 90% of it ourselves.

There was a time when ball alley's were in most villages. Wild Geese from Oldtown are one the smallest clubs in Dublin have a handball alley. They have a good tradition in Handball and having the alley will bring the players on a lot. There is a company from Offaly who build a percast structure and I think it may have 3 or 4 walls in one alley
    The christian Brothers had a lot of handball in their schools and I remember a few alleys in their retreat house in Balheary just outside Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

mal_1 wrote: »
    Not so much adding as giving a link to an architectural link blog done by Aine Ryan to these beautiful and now quirky structures throughout the Irish landscape.

http://www.irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/
    Excellent site! Never saw it before. She might be interested in the disused handball alleys at Dalgan Park in Meath too, and I think there is one near Athboy as well (Rathmore?)

Pity to see so many of them lying idle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

did Blackrock in Cork not have the first one???

Also Glynn-Barntown in Wexford have by far an away the best one i've seen!

(hurling walls that is)

IIMII wrote: »
    Excellent site! Never saw it before. She might be interested in the disused handball alleys at Dalgan Park in Meath too, and I think there is one near Athboy as well (Rathmore?)

Pity to see so many of them lying idle

The idea of the site is to chronicle all these throughout the country, hence if know of one, photograph it and post it, with a small commentary. Which reminds me to do that this weekend.

I think the dis-used and derelict ones which have been turned to alternative uses are the memorable ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I saw a hurling wall out in Portmarnock last time I played there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

judes have a nice one

And should anyone want to build a hurling wall (only two I could find from from google):

http://www.bancrete.com/hurling-wall.htm

And these boys have offers of some sorts at the moment:

http://www.mulcairprecast.vpweb.ie/

The Wallball is also dead handy for using against the wall. It's different to a plastic sliotar as it's great bounce, and warms up as it's used (more rubbery than plastic)

http://www.cumashurling.com/wallball.asp

mal_1 wrote: »
    The idea of the site is to chronicle all these throughout the country, hence if know of one, photograph it and post it, with a small commentary. Which reminds me to do that this weekend.

I think the dis-used and derelict ones which have been turned to alternative uses are the memorable ones.

I might be able to add one or two to it if I get time over the next while..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

There's two great ball alleys in DLS college in Waterford city. Spent way too many evenings there avoiding studying for the Leaving Cert :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GAAwebsite

There's a couple of the old handball walls left around the place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Here's a wall Banagher Concrete did in Thurles, they're seemingly the best around, Mulcair's do it too, its not a bad option and there's some guy in Cavan doing them too but they're fairly poor quality. We had Paidi Butler visit our club and he convinced our lads to get a Banagher one, its about 45ft wide and you can play on both sides, will try get pics of it up, looks well though

Banagher Wall:

http://durlasog.tipperary.gaa.ie/hurlingwall.html

Wow, that's some wall. How much did it cost do you mind me asking?

This topic is been discussed on Radio 1 'Mooney Show' at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

There's one in Lucan, 12th lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

theres one in mungret gaa club in co.limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Should be plenty in Cork... they love their Strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Buffers Alley just outside Gorey in Wexford have one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 BayCity

I remember Na Piarsigh in Cork had one:rolleyes:

My Dad used to bring me upto the one in All Hallows afew times a week when I was younger.. but now its gonzo..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

The Grounds of St. Brendans Hospital in Grangegorman, Dublin has 2 disused handball alleys ideal for striking practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Nenagh Eire Og club have a good one, used quite a lot by teams around the area - you can check out prices on the website, not too bad

Mallow GAA club have two, only a couple of euro for an hour AFAIK

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Ferns St Aidans in Nth Wexford have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

there are several old walls around Maynooth on St. Pats campus, but unfortunatly many of them are in terrible shape of covered in moss and so on, or just used for storage. There is still one that ive seen people using as a stringing wall quite a bit though/.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

folan wrote: »
    there are several old walls around Maynooth on St. Pats campus, but unfortunatly many of them are in terrible shape of covered in moss and so on, or just used for storage. There is still one that ive seen people using as a stringing wall quite a bit though/.

Yeah maynooth have a load on campus but only one in use-the rest are all housing building supplies and tables and moss!! The one that is operational isn't bad though-good and high and a good length-the back wall is a little small (for doubling) but thats all. For anyone trying to find it, its up behind the music dept on the old campus! Elsewhere in Kildare-St.Laurences, Narraghmore have built a new double H shaped hurling wall, Ros Glas outside Monastrevan have a single wall built, Clane have a huge single one, there's a huge one in Newbridge college (could be hard to use cos i know its in the grounds itself and security are there all weekend!), then Nurney and the Curragh camp have old handball alleys-both a bit neglected. Apparantly the Nurney one is great but gathers water a little when it rains so my bro brought a yardbrush to sweep it out, then the curragh camp one is a bit damp. the leaves make it a bit dodgey actually cos you end up slippin and sliding on one part in particular.

After that, im up in ashtown in Dublin-i know Castleknock (St Brigids) are in the process of building a wall...after that i dunno much else!? I do know that the underground carpark in Superquinn Rathbourne has a LOVELY spot for it but i havent been man enough to use it and see if i was noticed. But has lights, a back and front wall, each about 20 ft high and no cars-they all go up to the second tier!! Interesting eh?

Later folks! :D

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

O Tooles in Dublin have a wide hurling wall.Its not very big though.Its flood lighted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

O Tooles in Dublin have a hurling wall and one wall handball courts either side of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Can anyone give directions to the alley in Casement Aerodrome, Balldonnell, Co. Dublin? Its listed on http://www.irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/ but I don't know where it is in the area.

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Brilliant hurling wall in Commericals (Rathcoole), its right on the Naas road, floodlight on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

Are the ball alleys in newtown park or blackrock college open to everyone? I'm working out in cabinteely and looking for a place to puck a few balls after work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Peace wrote: »
    Can anyone give directions to the alley in Casement Aerodrome, Balldonnell, Co. Dublin? Its listed on http://www.irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/ but I don't know where it is in the area.

Thanks in advance...

I don't think this alley is open to the public. I drive past it all the time and it's actually in the airfield behind the big fence. I seriously doubt they let the public in to use it. You'd be better off going to commercials, it's literally 5mins away, and probably a better ball alley.

Advertisement