PS3 - Won't Read Disc - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2009, 13:54   #1
dak

PS3 - Won't Read Disc

Son was playing COD -world at war and it froze while loading . Only option was to reboot but now it won't read any disc. Any one have this problem with PS3. Have restored and reformatted and still have same problem!

Any Ideas ?

As console is out of warranty - 2 years old , The only option Sony offer is spend another 160 euro and get an out of warranty exchange.
Advertisement
02-04-2009, 13:57   #2
Zadkiel

The exact same thing happened to me mate,
Luckily for me It happened only a couple of weeks after I bought it and could exchange it. But I found Sony to be little help.

Hope you get something sorted.
02-04-2009, 14:03   #3
ongarite

You can get it repaired yourself for cheaper than that or do it yourself for around €60.
02-04-2009, 16:23   #4
dak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarite View Post
You can get it repaired yourself for cheaper than that or do it yourself for around €60.
Where would I get it repaired cheaply ?

I got a quote from a repair shop for €160 if it needs a new Blu-ray lazer . Bit of a coincidence that that is what Sony say retailers are giving out of warranty exchanges for ?
02-04-2009, 16:28   #5
IsMiseConor
Closed Account

Try using a standard DVD laser lens cleaner, you can pick them up for about €15 in DID or Harvey Normans. It worked for me when I did it.
Advertisement
02-04-2009, 16:32   #6
ongarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
Where would I get it repaired cheaply ?

I got a quote from a repair shop for €160 if it needs a new Blu-ray lazer . Bit of a coincidence that that is what Sony say retailers are giving out of warranty exchanges for ?
Ring this crowd:
http://consolerepairsireland.ie/about_us.php

They will provide a quote based on the problem with your console.
02-04-2009, 16:43   #7
dak

Quote:
Ring this crowd:
http://consolerepairsireland.ie/about_us.php

They will provide a quote based on the problem with your console.
Thanks for the info! When I think about it I don't think it could be the Lazer as it will play a ski game that is on the HDD. I would guess it is a dat corruption problem as it has these folders like data utility etc which I hadn't noticed before instead of the twirling arrows as the game loads from disc
02-04-2009, 16:46   #8
ongarite

If it plays downloaded PSN games that are on the HDD and not disc-based games, then its definately the Blu-Ray laser that needs replacing.
02-04-2009, 17:42   #9
dak

Quote:
If it plays downloaded PSN games that are on the HDD and not disc-based games, then its definately the Blu-Ray laser that needs replacing.

I had to get a lazer replaced on an Ordinary Sony DVD player as well . Sems like they may be putting cheap unreliable lazers in the PS3 and ord dvd players that aren't up to the job!
Advertisement
02-04-2009, 21:34   #10
CyanRain

Same thing happened to me, luckily i brought it back to the shop and they gave me a brand new one for free. However, I don't know if it is the Blu-ray laser. Is it not a fault in the hardware of the system that just may take a while to take effect? That's what I was told, but I'm not 100% sure.
03-04-2009, 11:55   #11
Noopti

This seems to be one of the more common PS3 faults. Happened me a couple of months ago on my 40GB. Hadn't got receipt from HMV, so rang Sony and they just took my details and arranged a courier to pick up the console.

Got a new (refurb I presume) 80GB with a Dual Shock back in about 4 days. Very happy with the service Sony gave me.
04-04-2009, 14:31   #12
dak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noopti View Post
This seems to be one of the more common PS3 faults. Happened me a couple of months ago on my 40GB. Hadn't got receipt from HMV, so rang Sony and they just took my details and arranged a courier to pick up the console.

Got a new (refurb I presume) 80GB with a Dual Shock back in about 4 days. Very happy with the service Sony gave me.
I assume your machine was in warranty--they can probabley tell from the serial number. Sony customer service told me policy was an industry std 12 month guarantee then pay up your 160 for an exchange console. (no exceptions). Offered a free game to console me! pathetic. They said that because the ps3 was so technical there were bound to be faults!

Its says alot about Sony if this is how they treat customers. If its a common fault it is probabley due to sony geting sub standard lasers from their suppliers! That is a Sony manufacturing problem which should have been addressed by a recall. It is not the end user who should have to pay the bill for a defective part.
06-04-2009, 13:21   #13
dak

I asked Sony if they would sell me the part on its own but was told all repairs are done in UK by SCE agents. All of the online shops I tried are out of stock of Blu-ray lens......... I wonder why ?
06-04-2009, 13:36   #14
ongarite

Loads of them on eBay.
Have you tried the repair crowd I linked to you in earlier above?
06-04-2009, 13:41   #15
knuth
Subscriber

My friend bought one of the PS3's at launch and he had a problem with the blueray lazer not working about a month ago. He brought it back to Smyths without a receipt and got a replacement model 10 days later.

Have you tried bringing it back to where you got it from? Tell them Sony told you to!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion