Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao 1st preference applications for ucd medicine up 46%

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

We're all f**ked if Grey's Anatomy is seen as fashionable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm tailoring my self to be like JD, need my own Turk though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

MrPain wrote: »
    I feel tv with shows like scrubs and greys anatomy has turned medicine into a fashion parade, with people just wanting the glamour.

Whether we like it or not, medicine will always have that 'Superhero' glamour quality to it. Regardless of any television show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Whether we like it or not, medicine will always have that 'Superhero' glamour quality to it. Regardless of any television show.

There's nothing that glamorous about blood, faeces and death.
    Oh, and horribly long hours and no social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

bythewoods wrote: »
    There's nothing that glamorous about blood, faeces and death.
    Oh, and horribly long hours and no social life.
    Well, there was until people started giving out about consultants' fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Surely by now this country has a abundant supply of medicine graduates? How many more do we actually need?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Stev_o wrote: »
    Surely by now this country has a abundant supply of medicine graduates? How many more do we actually need?
    You'd think that, but actually we don't have enough. This is seen in the fact that doctors command high wages.
    The problem is because it's so costly to train a medicine student it's very hard to increase the number of places, particularly as we have some of the most cash-strapped universities in the western world.
    As a result, we have a situation where we have huge competition for medicine places. This further serves to make them more attractive because since it is so difficult to get into the course, there is a certain prestige attached to it. This increases demand again and so on in a vicious circle.
    It's a similar story for veterinary and dentistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I heard there is an increase in the number of places in medicine so that could have contributed.Any1 know how many more places there is in medicine this year

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

how would the recession increase the amount of people going for medicine? wouldnt the recession mean that less people can afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

how would the recession increase the amount of people going for medicine? wouldnt the recession mean that less people can afford it?

Well, if fees are not reintroduced, no.

Taking myself as an example, I live in the shticks. 3 hours (roughly) by bus to UCC or Dublin, more again to Galway or whatever.
    I'm going to have to move away from home one way or another (Unless I want to go to the local IT. Which I do not, as there's no courses there of any interest to me whatsoever. I'd still probably have to move out of home as the commute'd be way too much to handle every day- I did it this year as I was repeating down that direction. HOURS on buses every week. GAH)
    So whether I do arts or Medicine, my accomodation and all that will cost the same.

The reason the recession could've driven more people towards medicine is the prospect of a guaranteed job by the end of it, whereas a course like Construction management or something mightn't give you many employment opportunities.

TBH, I'd say the rise in applicants was more to do with the introduction of the HPAT though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement