Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

revenge reality

Options
  • 31-01-2009 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭

Having watched "Taken" tonight begs the question. I know on boards I can't advocate violence. How far would you go if a sister, daughter, wife was taken ? And before all the keyboard warriors get fired up, try to keep it real. Say an above member was murdered / raped ?

I reckon revenge is a pipe dream. If it wasn't a whole lot of family members of rape and murder victims would be locked up. People talk it up a lot but what would you actually do ? I reckon not much.

Discuss away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Simple as, I would kill the person responsible, without hesitation, without remorse.

There is not easier way to say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Simple as, I would kill the person responsible, without hesitation, without remorse.

Honestly, as a parent of 4 now, that about sums me up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yidkid

i would make sure they had a fair trial.........not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Revenge cases come up in the courts quite often, maybe not revenge for rape or murder too often, but defiantly stuff like brothers kicking the ****e out of their sisters ex if they find out they were hit during the relationship.

Me, i wouldn't be one for fighting, but if it was serious i'd would lose all common scene and do something i probably wouldn't regret after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I don't believe you. I think you believe it yourself but if it came to it you wouldn't do it. Say a guy raped your wife (sorry I don't know if you are male or female). He gets off, a year later you have an unregistered gun , have him on his knees with the barrel to his forehead. Would you shoot ?

In the situation above I would like to think i would but I don't know.........Its a huge thing to take a human life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

why do you think they aren't?
    Do you think the people most hungry for vengeance are the ones who see criminals convicted and sent to prison? It's people who have society fail to give them justice, or who are themselves victims of injustice, who are the ones to take revenge themselves.

Eh ? What are you replying to exactly ?

the op

Heckler wrote: »
    I don't believe you. I think you believe it yourself but if it came to it you wouldn't do it. Say a guy raped your wife (sorry I don't know if you are male or female). He gets off, a year later you have an unregistered gun , have him on his knees with the barrel to his forehead. Would you shoot ?

In the situation above I would like to think i would but I don't know.........Its a huge thing to take a human life.

I am 99.999999........% sure I would, very little could really stop me. I am not afraid of Prison, I have way too much love for my Family and Friends that I wouldn't stop myself.

If you think of it, it really only takes a single breath. Not much to the act.

If lads in every war ever fought could kill people who they had no personal animosity towards, I am sure I could kill someone who I actually wanted dead.

My problem would be I was caught before killing them because I spend time torturing them!!!!!(probably...)

But yeah, I probably would. and with no problems about it. I have no religion, so that's not stopping me doing it. I don't know of anything that could stop me.

You're not making sense lad. Aimed at PMD.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Say a guy raped your wife (sorry I don't know if you are male or female). He gets off, a year later you have an unregistered gun , have him on his knees with the barrel to his forehead. Would you shoot ?

Yes.

this:
    If it wasn't a whole lot of family members of rape and murder victims would be locked up

My argument is why are there not more associated killings (and I won't call them murders) when it comes to for example child murders, rapes and or homicides. Everyone reckons they would exact revenge but they don't. Why not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Murder would be on the cards.

I don't think the whole logic thing could come into play about going to jail for the rest of your life etc etc
    I've a terrible temper over small things so something like that would tip me over/

My argument is why are there not more associated killings (and I won't call them murders) when it comes to for example child murders, rapes and or homicides. Everyone reckons they would exact revenge but they don't. Why not ?

Regards the child rapes and that, they end up being protected by the police. Yep.
    Tax payers money to protect scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beacuse people don't go out looking for that position.

There's two ways of interpreting this: 1 - would you go out and make the effort to track down the guy, buy a weapon and actually find him and kill him, and 2 - if you just happened to be in your car and he just happened to be walking across the road in front of you would you hit the accelerator and run him down?

I think most people would answer no to number one, but yes to number two.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I would answer yes to number 1. but that's because I am described as a bit of a psycho anyway, so it would not really surprize anyone I know!!!

Killing someone is like getting a tattoo. When you think you want to get one, you should wait a year and see if you still want to get the same one, so you know you won't regret it later.

pwd wrote: »
    Killing someone is like getting a tattoo. When you think you want to get one, you should wait a year and see if you still want to get the same one, so you know you won't regret it later.

I suppose being from Limerick, you would know....joking of course.

I'm from the southside of Dublin. You are joking, but you genuinely do get discriminated against for having a Limerick address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Most people who say yes are just the typical keyboard warrior bull****ters you find on afterhours.

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    I'm from the southside of Dublin. You are joking, but you genuinely do get discriminated against for having a Limerick address.

What, I was on about the Tattoo bit. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I would tend to agree with Heckler here; and I think it's a cultural thing. We'd all like to think of ourselves as the 'avenging hero': the Dirty Harry, Charles Bronson or Bruce Willis character. We've been reared on a cultural diet of Hollywood screen violence for decades: we watch the movie and identify with the hero; we are the hero for two hours.

But that's not the reality. Look at all the families who have lost people in 'The Troubles', or in the Middle East: beyond joining paramilitary reprisals, most decent folk seem to bear their loss in private -- some even finding forgiveness. Now I've absolutely no statistics on the victim-revenge ratio in either conflict and I'm not going to start splitting hairs or going into semantics, but common sense tells me that there are more silent victims than 'glorious' avengers.

Anyways, I watched an excellent film on this very subject about six months ago called 'In the Bedroom'. No Bruce Willis heroics, just an intelligent study of the aftermath when a couple's only son is murdered by a local.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Posters are contemplating and imagining the killing of another person on this thread, given this or that condition as justification. I wonder why threads such as these frequent boards.ie, or why people in great numbers see films like "Taken" with this violent theme? What does this say about us as people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shooting is a very effective scum remover. It certainly improves society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Having watched "Taken" tonight begs the question. I know on boards I can't advocate violence. How far would you go if a sister, daughter, wife was taken ?

Not sure, you have to be calm and defuse the situation, Patients helps.
    And before all the keyboard warriors get fired up, try to keep it real. Say an above member was murdered / raped ?

I have a fear of my girlfriend getting raped, and my younger brother getting murdered. I don't think I would be a free man afterwards.
    I reckon revenge is a pipe dream. If it wasn't a whole lot of family members of rape and murder victims would be locked up. People talk it up a lot but what would you actually do ? I reckon not much.

Discuss away.

Depends on the situation. Everyone has the potential to kill someone, even your religion teacher.

Immediately, you may seek revenge, this might last for a while. After time I think you would calm down and think rationally. Now, this obviously doesn't go for everyone. Some may not seek revenge at all, some may spend the rest of their lives seeking revenge, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I have a fear of my girlfriend getting raped, and my younger brother getting murdered. I don't think I would be a free man afterwards.

Well then just don't rape your girlfriend and murder your brother. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I wonder why threads such as these frequent boards.ie, or why people in great numbers see films like "Taken" with this violent theme? What does this say about us as people?

They lead boring lives and need to think about something more exciting (being shocked, frightened or being fearless)... that being said the reality is far from exciting and must be crushing for families involved... especially when the attacker is unknown. I think the fact that media reports violent crimes also means its a part of our lives wheather we like it or not and will think about it maybe more than we should. But leaving the media out of it, stuff like this (children being killed) has happened to two families I've known... the sad reality and a movie story with violence (for a normal person) are two totally different things.. you can say the two are alike but ones real the others fake and as long as you're not effected personally liking a violent movie won't make you a bad person, its probably healthy for the mind to escape your boring life for a while (when i say "your boring life" I don't mean you B!ue, I imagine you lead a rollercoaster life, just the other boring people ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Most people who say yes are just the typical keyboard warrior bull****ters you find on afterhours.

Agreed, I honestly do not think I am capable of killing somebody in cold blood. I do however, think I could beat someone to within an inch of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So. when is the next Bring Back Hanging thread?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Killing someone/something is a lot more difficult than it seems. It is not like the movies. Nasty business.

Advertisement