Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life

Options
  • 18-12-2008 8:02am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are over 20 pages of threads with the word life in it, from this forum alone. Made looking for it pretty damn impossible. I got through 3 pages and gave up, so I'm making this thread anyways ;)

Queue someone more motivated than I, searching through 4 pages plus to find a thread about this show :p

Anyways, it's brilliant. Has Major Winters from Band of Brothers, which was what originally put me onto this show despite hearing many great things about the show, some from this forum alone.

It only took one episode before I was hooked and it just gets better. This is how the likes of CSI should be done.

To break it down for you, spoiler free since its the in the intro to the show: A guy gets wrongly sent to jail for the murder of a family, who he was friendly with. He also happens to be a cop and when he is finally released from prison after 12 years, he goes right back to being a cop with a unique perspective on things.

Fantastic writing, acting and general story-telling. I'm up to episode 10 of 2 seasons of 11 episodes and its my new favourite show that I'll be making all my friends watch :)

Right up there with the Wire in my opinion, although coming from an entirely different direction and yet still just as dramatic, interesting and believeable.

Watch it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah was a bit wary at first having not heard anything about it but gave series one a shot and was very impressed. Charlie Cruise is a great character and he has a good wit about him, though I could see him annoying some people.

And, most importantly, your one in it is quality! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Gotta agree. Came across it by accident a few weeks ago and watched the first ep. Since then I have "acquired" all of season one and working my way through it.
    It is a pain that it is only on itV3 here so I can't sky+ it. Good show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Up to end of season 2 now. Amazing show :D

Surprising the number of actors and actresses I recognise from other shows I like ;)
    Guess good actors and actresses tend to move from one good show to another :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is it only on ITV3 or do any other UK or Irish channels have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ivan wrote: »
    Right up there with the Wire in my opinion, although coming from an entirely different direction and yet still just as dramatic, interesting and believeable.

That's high praise. I must check it out.
    JP Liz wrote: »

I'm 90% sure I saw it listed late at night on either RTE1 or RTE2.
    I can't be certain although it wouldn't surprise me as they seem to be scheduling anything half decent to the graveyard shift - e.g. Mad Men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Got to agree, this is well worth watching. Best new show from last year, and even looked close to being canceled with the writers strike, but glad it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ye this show is great been watching since season 1 - cant wait for the new episode when i go home later

EDIT:
    Up to end of season 2 now. Amazing show :D

Surprising the number of actors and actresses I recognise from other shows I like ;)
    Guess good actors and actresses tend to move from one good show to another :D

Ye like the head guy from knights of prosperity is one of the people in season 2 (took me ages to figure out who it was)

After watching the first four episodes I think I'll drop this.
    I've no real interest in another Murder-of-the-week, CSI-Miami type show.

The story arc of his investigation of the murder for which he was framed could have been interesting but it progresses at a ridiculously glacial pace with only a tiny titbit handed out in each episode and most of that is repeated from a previous episode.
    Presumably the idea is to drag that story arc out over a number of seasons.

It's on RTE 2 tonight at 2.05am. From the description it seems like episode three of season one.

For those thinking of giving up on Season One I recommend that you give it a chance. The last few episodes of Season One really fly by and made for the most gripping TV show of last year. Have yet to watch season two as it's one of those shows that I can't just watch one episode at a time, I need more.

My only complaint is that the music was changed for the DVD which is a common thing these days but it has to be said that the later episodes in the series suffer because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

About halfway through season 2 at the moment and not nearly as good as season one which I thought was great. The new chief is good but whilst I loved the character of Charlie in season 1 he's starting to grate a small bit. Finding season 2 a lot more lighthearted and unbelievable. Teds great though. And yer wan is a lash. There are a few nice scenes involving her and few clothes in season 2.

That said its a whole lot better than most muck on the TV at the moment. And shame on RTE for putting it on at such a stupid time. What the hell are they thinking..............I thought TV stations wanted viewers.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Gotta agree. Came across it by accident a few weeks ago and watched the first ep. Since then I have "acquired" all of season one and working my way through it.
    It is a pain that it is only on itV3 here so I can't sky+ it. Good show.

Hmm...just noticed myself that it is on RTE2 at 1.20am on tuesday mornings. Smart scheduling again.
    Ah well...seen em all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The last 4 episodes of season 1 were brilliant. I'm about 4 into Season 2 now, and its still entertaining stuff. Great show.

WTF do RTE always give decent shows crap late night timeslots :mad:

Has this show been picked up in US for another season yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Finished season 1 over the weekend, nice ending although I felt a little cheated that he only solved a small part of the puzzle - I can see why they did it that way, gotta leave room for further seasons.

I'm not a fan of procedurals in any way, but this seems to be more about actual police work than other shows of the same type (I don't watch CSI, so maybe it's the same way). It took me a while to figure Crews' hook and for me, it's the weakest part of the show, his apparent zen-like processing, that whole 'what is the sound of one hand clapping? oh the murderer is Billy'. Meh. So I enjoyed Season 1, I'll probably watch a few of Season 2 see if things get better, but I suspect this will drop off my list pretty soon.

i just watched last nights episode season 2 episode 16
    fantastic episode, one of the best in a while, fair enough - few drinks in me but i laughed a fair bit - seems odd that ive been getting my sence of homour back since i quit smoking - always thought it was the other way around. Different types of humor i guess. Still a great episode, didnt see the twist at the end (well in all fairness there was nothing to indicate it - or was there?)

loved the bit with reece that should play out well twards the end of this season. not to mention the unknown woman taking photo's - i thought she might be the killer investigating the person investigating the crume.

Such a amuzing show all round and definatly a good episode. I suspected the piggins where doing drug drops because they can be trained. All round a good few funny bits and this was once case i couldnt solve or even guess at.

Also interesting to see your man as a temp detective - some funny questions during the interviews as well

Watch this show - dont just watch this epiosde because i said it was good. Go back to the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

erotic cooking ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

any1 seen season 2 episode 21 i'm dying to find the song thats playing just before crews drives into the garage, please help. thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

abcdggs wrote: »
    any1 seen season 2 episode 21 i'm dying to find the song thats playing just before crews drives into the garage, please help. thanks
    J

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra feat. Nino Moschella
    Kiss The Sky

The music in Life from the very start has been great and last nights was no exception.
    I read that there is rumours of Life being cancelled, I hope it doesn't as its one of the best things on tv at the moment.

AWESOME thanks, yeah must say i agree. great show great cast great music great plot.

Thanks for digging up the thread - i was going to go look for this - anyway Ye episode 21 was brilliant - any idea what next season will be about?

my mate thinks
    Serial Killer Arc
    i think that would be great because this show as good as it is could not survive on killer of the week style story telling.

• Advertisement

he'll have to figure out one of the other people involved in getting him put in prison. just in hind sight was wondering why ted told the security lady (cant remember her name) that it's not called jail it's called prison?

eh - i think its been unoffically cancelled :(

fingers crossed for a season 3 - even 7 or 12 episodes to try to tie up the story

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

What makes you say that? :o

Got any sources?

Life has very little chance of returning for a third season - ratings went downhill

According to USA Today in this article Life is all but dead. Damns shame if it is gone, I loved season 1 and have been waiting till college finishes to start season 2.

What makes you say that? :o

Got any sources?

http://www.tv.com/life/show/68729/summary.html?q=life&tag=search_results;title;1

theres a few mentions of it on tv.com (link above) and www.tvrage.com (dont have the link handy)

Very upsetting because it is so much better than any of the CSI's or midsummer murders

According to USA Today in this article Life is all but dead. Damns shame if it is gone, I loved season 1 and have been waiting till college finishes to start season 2.

Looks like it if officially dead now:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a154912/nbc-cancels-police-drama-life.html

My reply to the news on a different thread.

Its on RTE 2 tonight at 11.50pm - not sure which series it is

• Advertisement

Its on RTE 2 tonight at 11.50pm - not sure which series it is

According to TV listings it's episode one of season two :).

Advertisement