Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.F.O's above the Clare Hills!

Options
  • 30-11-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Over the past few weeks I have been noticing strange lights over the Clare Hills near the golf ball. Other people have witnessed them to. They look like really bright stars but very low in the sky. Sometimes there are small red or orange ones or very bright white ones. They often get incredibly bright and disappear, then reappear in a different part of the sky. Has anyone else seen this? Or can anyone offer a rational explanation? This isn't a joke by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Thats Mossy in his new Honda Civic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

I was afraid I would succumb to boy who cried wolf syndrome. I know I have a reputation in Limerick for being a bit of a Joker but I'm serious about this one. I swear on the holy picture.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Over the past few weeks I have been noticing strange lights over the Clare Hills near the golf ball. Other people have witnessed them to. They look like really bright stars but very low in the sky. Sometimes there are small red or orange ones or very bright white ones. They often get incredibly bright and disappear, then reappear in a different part of the sky. Has anyone else seen this? Or can anyone offer a rational explanation? This isn't a joke by the way.

Planes landing and/or taking-off in Shannon?

You should really make a phone-call to check it out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Just joking, can't say ive seen them, you sure its not mars or venus or something? Although I saw a star on fri night that was really low and really bright, way brighter than the rest. I'm not an astronomer but i think its venus and the skies have been really clear so it looks mad. Might be the same thing your seeing.

At the moment I can see 8 at different locations. They aren't planets because they sometimes move or dissapear completely. And I'm very familiar with the Clare hills vista and can tell when something is a plane or not. My Friend living in Meelick has a good view of them right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I drive home from work every nite at 2 AM, from Shannon, during the summer, July I think, clear nite, probably the only one that month, had passed Bunratty and just before Setrights, up to my left saw what I can only describe as something round with lights, thought to myself must be a heli-copter until It zig-zagged very fast a couple of times and disappeared over the hills at a speed no heli-copter I've ever seen travel, scared the sh1t out of me.

Have told no-one this until now, always laughed at UFO progs.

Also not joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Intelligent life in Clare. Hmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭phog

Could it be Jupiter and Venus?

See some pics here

More info here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Does seem unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I blame the credit crunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The ghost from Da Field moved up to the Golf Ball?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333788
    BTW what happened to that ghost?

Any nightclub around? Searchlights like the ones on the Trinity Rooms?
    Any footage, pictures or video?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whether or not you are joking, i have seen the lights too, from the limerick by-pass.
    And i drive home most nights and have never seen them there before until tonight/this evening

And its definitely not the planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Venus joins Jupiter tonight.

EDIT: oops... it has already been mentioned....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

that will put them right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Strange that.

Last night I was driving back home from Cork/ my companion and I decided to flick through long-wave on the radio seeing as we were bored. Around 190lw we found some french woman talking, but was interspersed with a peculariar beeping noise. We did not think much of it, until a few minutes later we go some sort of strange mass of noise, to describe it one way, like radiation of some sort. Hard to describe. The only thing that crossed was some of aliens...

We had just passed the south court in Raheen in this stage and were heading into town via the Dock Road. , it was a clear enough night. On the dock road I looked over towards the golfball direction and noticed a particularly bright light, with one bright light in the middle and several smaller less bright white lights on either side. It was very peculiar, and to say the least we were VERY nervous, especially after the strange radio behaviour. We decicded to drive up onto the new bridge on the boreen on the dock road (whatever its called) as we'd have a good view there.

We sat there for a while, the lights stayed, but suddenly all disappeared, then one huge bright light appeared.

I live near enough to the golfball area, so had a good view on the way back in home of it. At this stage (around 7.30) the one light had turned into 2 separate ones, and there was a large cloud of fog hovering over it. It stayed there all night- I checked at 3am just before going to bed.

The same light is not there again tonight. There are red lights on the masts up there but there are certainly no big bright lights like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You do know that there is a mast on the hill next to the golf ball now. It probably has lots of lights and beacons on it so planes do not crash into it. You used to be able to drive right up but since the mast was built there is a metal barrier. I usually go up there every so often to read a book.

No aliens just yet Im afraid.

Strange that.

Last night I was driving back home from Cork/ my companion and I decided to flick through long-wave on the radio seeing as we were bored. Around 190lw we found some french woman talking, but was interspersed with a peculariar beeping noise. We did not think much of it, until a few minutes later we go some sort of strange mass of noise, to describe it one way, like radiation of some sort. Hard to describe.

I can explain the radio part. You came across a "numbers station" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_Station . Very interesting phenomenon. As regards the lights. Thais pretty much what ive been seeing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I wonder if this explains why my earphones just shocked the hell out of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I usually go up there every so often to read a book.

Is that what they call dogging these days? :D

pics please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There are some new stationary bright white lights up there in the past few weeks - 3 in total I think - but they look like some sort of floodlights or something. Hardly Alf and his friends...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The truth is out there, Scully. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

RonMexico wrote: »
    There are some new stationary bright white lights up there in the past few weeks - 3 in total I think - but they look like some sort of floodlights or something. Hardly Alf and his friends...

I can confirm that,as my backgarden has a full unobscured view of the hills.I got the binoculars out the other night and saw that it was indeed a floodlight.Most likely works going on at night for either shannon or some digital tv provider.

Re the numbers station phenom.,Im pretty sure that a lw receiver wont pickup a shortwave broadcast (because of the much higher frequency),which is what the numbers stations are typically transmitted in. Most likely an automated weather service of some sort. Actually, just looking now, its likely that you picked up the most powerful longwave transmitter in Germany, based out of falsberg-berus, broadcasting at 183kHz. It runs the French network, Europe 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

LOL

Seen them on Sat night the back of my house we can see the golfball even through I live at the other side of Limerick
    Two bright Lights one above the other, Thought they were just bright stars on a frosty night,
    Could be the space station?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Driving home from work on Sunday night(About 1am) from Shannon. Id just come past Bunratty and was on the straight stretch of Dual Carriageway, there were 3 red flashing lights that went from the opposite side of the sky(right hand side as i looked out) and travelled all the way over the hills. Very strange because thats not a flightpath for any planes. Planes will also have green/white/red lights flashing, this was just 3 red ones.

bobmeaney wrote: »
    I can confirm that,as my backgarden has a full unobscured view of the hills.I got the binoculars out the other night and saw that it was indeed a floodlight.Most likely works going on at night for either shannon or some digital tv provider.
    Thank God that's cleared up. Aliens are my biggest fear next to skeletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

those lights are jupiter and venus....you could see jupiter right by the moon yesterday evening. apparently the space station can be seen passing them most nights this month to dec10th...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭RINO87

I can explain the radio part. You came across a "numbers station" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_Station . Very interesting phenomenon. As regards the lights. Thais pretty much what ive been seeing too.

thats really interesting. Deadly!!!

those lights are jupiter and venus....you could see jupiter right by the moon yesterday evening. apparently the space station can be seen passing them most nights this month to dec10th...
    I was lucky enough to get a gander at the planets last night alright. The freezing cold was worth it for the clear sky.

• Advertisement

*pokes rubberbandit*
    I hear rumours of an even more amazing spectacle taking place in a certain club this xmas??????

Advertisement