Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of the Dark

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

I know it seems silly, but whenever I am alone in the dark a sense that something bad will happen, comes over me.
    I was never scared of it as kid but I think the very fact you can't see what may come at you ,gets to me.
    Any one else get an eerie chill up their spine when it is pitch black?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Meeeeeeeeee!! :(

'Specially here in the kitchen. We have three huuuuuuuuuge windows that look out into black. I get totally freaked out sometimes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I know it seems silly, but whenever I am alone in the dark a sense that something bad will happen, comes over me.
    I was never scared of it as kid but I think the very fact you can't see what may come at you ,gets to me.
    Any one else get an eerie chill up their spine when it is pitch black?

Scared of the dark?! We're what people who are afraid of the dark should be scared of! :cool:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Being alone in pitch dark is kinda freaky, triggers something deep down that unsettles you and makes you nervous, I reckon it must be some ancient survival instinct thing myself ( could also just be my way of rationalising me being a wuss :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

I've got more of a fear of being lost playing hide and seek

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As a kid I saw shadow people all the time so yeah I was scared of the dark!

SDooM wrote: »

What the fudge are shadow people???? :confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    What the fudge are shadow people???? :confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

Nooooo, no no no no no no!!!! :(:(

*sticks fingers in ears and legs it upstairs to bed to hide under the duvet

Nooooo, no no no no no no!!!! :(:(

*sticks fingers in ears and legs it upstairs to bed to hide under the duvet

Imagine feeling like there's an oppresive hoard of them in your room at night, swirling into and around each other, watching you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Imagine feeling like there's an oppresive hoard of them in your room at night, swirling into and around each other, watching you...

DOOM!!! :(:(:(
    eVeNtInE wrote: »

Oh my goodness, yes, that's it. It's awful thinking that there could be something there, watching you

• Advertisement

DOOM!!! :(:(:(

Don't get angry with me, little doom had to actually live with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

That is freaky! :eek:

I made myself get used to the dark and am usually comfortable in it. But like alicat's post earlier, windows of pitch black would freak me out. Or being outside in pitch dark would freak me out too. When I was little my mam would always leave the stairs light on in our house and the door left open a little. Had to be for my little brother but he would always sleep before me. I would lie in bed convinced I could see a shadow coming up the stairs and I would strain so I could hear something. So once I knew he was asleep I would turn the light off and then I'd be ok because you couldn't make any shadows in the dark.

Kids and their imaginations! :D

Don't get angry with me, little doom had to actually live with that!

There's no need to spread the evil and terror! :(

*hugs for Doom with eyes closed tight so I can't see any shadow people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

There's no need to spread the evil and terror! :(

*hugs for Doom with eyes closed tight so I can't see any shadow people

I can remember, the feeling of being watched never went away, even if you closed your eyes... *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I get scared of the dark, a lot actually. I've terrible nightvision, and an active imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I only get freaked out the odd time in the house. Never get freaked out when I'm outside, in fact I often go for walks in the dark etc. Large windows are a bit freaky sometimes.

Never had the oul shadow people to the best of my knowledge. Feel like running and getting some Holy Water just in case though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm amazed everyone so far has resisted the urge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

absolutely I'm a wuss:(:(:(:P
    But having my dogs make me feel safer for some strange reason:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Doesn't bother me much at all, in fact i love walking in the dark outside. It's so quiet and serene. <3 it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There's a difference between going around an urbanized area full of street lights. It's not proper dark. You can see just as far as you could during the day. Scary? No.

Now, wandering around in the back sticks of the country were there's no lights or buildings within a two kilometer radius and you can only see two or three feet ahead of you. That's proper darkness. that can be a bit darn freaky alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Agree with Galvasean. I don't mind the dark to much around where I live ( so long as I stay away from big open spaces) and I'm grand in my own house in the dark. In fact, I hate any lights being on at night, makes it impossible to sleep! But the darkness of the countryside is a different beast altogether- where my grandparents live,at night-time, you can't see your hand in front of your face in the dark.

I'll never forget driving around the dark backroads one night completely lost...:eek: Especially because there's a supposed haunted castle nearby....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Galvasean wrote: »
    There's a difference between going around an urbanized area full of street lights. It's not proper dark. You can see just as far as you could during the day. Scary? No.

Now, wandering around in the back sticks of the country were there's no lights or buildings within a two kilometer radius and you can only see two or three feet ahead of you. That's proper darkness. that can be a bit darn freaky alright.

Nah not really, live beside a big park, no lights. Also every summer would work on my uncles farm and wander at night, so peaceful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

for a while i used to see theese above my little pet grave patch in my garden.all tall ad spindly and would only stay there for a few seconds...never could convince myself if they were real of just my mind unable to make sense of the dark

my friends would generally say i dont get scared of much.like id be the ballsyest one.at times ill walk home alone across fields as its a lot quicker but as its so dark i generally run it.i dont know why.like chances are theres no one there its just at the time my heart starts racing and i give in to thoose classic childish fears.

also hate walking home alone at night when its silent with no cars or people around then you hear a random noise and it just gets me a bit freaked out.

My scariest in the dark moment happened in the year 2000.

I was living on little britain street (no really) and decided at 3 am to go to the shops on o connell st. (24 hour centras rock).

It was just before christmas, and at three am in the empty streets the lights were still on, bathing henry st in an eery light, and the music was still playing... white christmas echoing down the street...

I usually don't scare easy in the dark but that was just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Shadow people/shades piss me right off

Nerin wrote: »
    Shadow people/shades piss me right off

Funny you should mention that, as I got older they stopped scaring me and jst became a mild irritance!

I'm still freaked out by this whole 'shadow people' thing! :( It's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Funny you should mention that, as I got older they stopped scaring me and jst became a mild irritance!

Always watching you,following you. Get a freakin hobby ya weirdos :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A little bit, my brain goes into overdrive and I keep listening for every little thing that goes on around me. That said, I feel more comfortable walking around outside than being inside my house.

Advertisement