Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Athiest epiphany:)

Options
  • 10-10-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was just curious about your atheistic enlightenment:)

I have seen many atheist posters say that they were atheist from as young an age as 8, 10, 12. Did you just reject your religious upbringing, or did you find alternatives to the question of where we came from which satisfied you etc? Did you first have an alternative of the question of origins, before you rejected religions explainations? For the child atheists, you obviously decided you didn't believe in God, so at that age was there an alternative answer to our origins you had? or did you just not care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

JimiTime wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was just curious about your atheistic enlightenment:)

I have seen many atheist posters say that they were atheist from as young an age as 8, 10, 12. Did you just reject your religious upbringing, or did you find alternatives to the question of where we came from which satisfied you etc? Did you first have an alternative of the question of origins, before you rejected religions explainations? For the child atheists, you obviously decided you didn't believe in God, so at that age was there an alternative answer to our origins you had? or did you just not care?

I didn't associate questions about "where we came from" with a god at all, after a priest told us that the story of Adam and Eve was just that. I was 10 and I pretty much rejected the rest of the stories from then on. I wasn't concerned or it didn't occur to me that our origins needed an explanation until much later. In fact, I still don't have that much of an interest in the origins of the universe, I just know it ain't to do with a god :) I am interested in evolution, but again, totally apart from my atheistic feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Do we really need another, "Where did your atheism come from" thread?

I thought it was similar to the "what was your religious circumstance..." thread. But I didn't post on that one I think. Did it not answer your questions, Jimi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I was born an atheist. It is my natural state. It took me a while to get back to it considering my upbringing and the fragilities of the human mind coupled with its powerful imaginative disposition.

P.s these threads suck and are slightly insulting because they suggest that atheism is a belief system and we live our lives by it which really annoys me. Its a sad life if you define it by atheism imho. Theists don't seem to understand this. If you ask then why is there an A+A forum? Well I would respond by saying its a place where someone can go and vent the anger and oppression they feel due to their choice not to conform the standard that is religious belief.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Didn't we just do this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

More of a non-epiphany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

5uspect wrote: »
    Didn't we just do this thread?

I think we need a "Where did your interest in atheists' epiphanies come from?" thread.

I was born an atheist. It is my natural state. It took me a while to get back to it considering my upbringing and the fragilities of the human mind coupled with its powerful imaginative disposition.

Born Again atheist FTW.

Now where's my ring of non-chastity?

roflkopterz! I didn't mean for it to sound like that.

I think i might just start a movement...

• Advertisement

The Born Again Atheists.

With slogans such as :

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

LIVE YOUR LIFE

BE HAPPY

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

better put down some newspaper

I'm going to be born again.

:D

I think my momma might have something to say about me being born again...I was a week late the first time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For a thread that's been done before it hasn't half filled up quick!

Sorry Jimi, the topic is deja vu here. :)

Feel free to resurrect this if your curiosity isn't satisfied after reading it.
    Was there a defining moment for you?

Your own thread has similar moments too!
    What was your religious circumstance, when you embraced Atheism?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement