Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a defining moment for you?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Was there a defining moment or turning point for you where you decided to reject religion or were u born like that? Since this is Ireland and relatively religious still I'm guessing there were 'moments' for some of you. It would be interesting to hear them...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

diddley wrote: »
    Was there a defining moment or turning point for you where you decided to reject religion or were u born like that? Since this is Ireland and relatively religious still I'm guessing there were 'moments' for some of you. It would be interesting to hear them...

For me it was a gradual process that started when I was around 14 and didn't really resolve itself until I was about 20. My younger brother was an atheist by the time he was 14 and had a huge impact on me. He used his own version of the flying spaghetti monster argument and that started the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Two turning points:

1. as a kid my mother bought me a weekly hisory album that you keep in a folder, much like a football sticker album (i got that too :D ) and that started my love of knowledge and gave me the strength to stand up to a biased school system.. which leads me to no..

2. I had a whacky religion teacher(nun) in the same year i did (off my own steam) a major science project on the solar system.. first class..she said god clicked his fingers on the first day.. i said whoah there now honey!!! lets just examine that for a second.. we got in to such major agruments every week that i was called the son of satan and made to stand alone in the middle of the classroom with my back to them!! i couldnt believe how docilely the rest of class took it (and this was the top tier!!), my parents just said to tow the line so i'd no way to fight her officially really!!

on from that was just looking into and behind everything for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Being brought up in a non-religious family agnosticism was the default position. Through school and life in general I've been exposed to many religious beliefs none of which I found very convincing. In my late teens I reached the stage where I completely rejected the idea of a personal god or a god who has any daily influence on the universe and especially one who concerns themselves with the well-being of man. I am now at the position where I would say the possibility of the existence of a creator is very slight but can not reject it out of hand without a further understanding of how the universe came into being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Unlike 'finding god' that some religious folks experience, I think coming around to an atheistic perspective is a more gradual process.
    There was definetly no sudden realisation for me. I don't even recall thinking it about it too much until my early 20's by which time I knew the whole god business just didn't make sense.
    Nothing I've experienced or read etc since has persuaded me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

There wasn't any one defining moment for me either but rather a series of events that spurred me into thinking. I never really had a convincing and deep sense of God like other kids my age, though there was always this fear of God in my mind. I guess the brainwashing just wasn't thorough enough. I always had questions at school for my beleagured teachers. I simply couldn't ignore or accept facile explainations to these perplexing mysteries and blaring contradictions inherent in religion. How could we have both destiny and freewill? How could we write off as nonsense a lot of other religions when their followers believed as fervently as we were supposed to? Lots more questions besides and the more I pressed for satisfactory answers the more I was fobbed of with the usually dismissive lines of 'God works in mysterious ways' and 'why do you have to question everything, can't you just have faith?' etc, etc.

Eventually it dawned on me that these people I had trusted simply didn't have any answers, and worse still, were unprepared to give me any, so I was left to my own devices to explore the mysteries of the faith. Freedom of mind is a religion killer as I subsequently discovered. Once those tethers of blind faith in my mind had been cut a fearless new inquiry began. I was now able to explore my own thoughts and feelings without being terrified of going to hell for my silent inpiousness. There was no sign of God anywhere and he never revealed himself to me or anyone else I knew so I quickly began to apply the same logical thinking to God as I did to the other mystery man in my head five years previously - Santa. Atheism for me began with a hugh 'Oh yeah........now I see'. For years after this I still felt the odd frisson of fear and guilt. I now realise that this was simply the psychological scarring coming to the surface. My (dwindling) feelings of fear and guilt were my OWN and not placed there by any god in order to frighten me back onto a path of righteousness. Freedom came in great increments and continues to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i've always just been more into the earth.. and all that sort of thing. Noticed how it provides what we need..
    Always been a bit of a hippy :cool:
    Just didn't fully grasp the concept of not questioning, or not having very good questions awnsered.

Its whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nah not really... I had never been especially religious except in a "god can you stop me getting in trouble for not doing my homework?" kind of way.

Since I was about 15 I had been constantly thinking about all kinds of philosophical crap, and during class used to be writing pages of rambling diary-style gibberish about it. Basically the idea of a god never sat well with me. In particular I found it strange that previous civilisations had deities for various phenomena such as the sun... rain... lightning... and we no longer do. And of course this ties in with scientific progress. The whole receding 'god of the gaps' notion was becoming quite clear to me.

I also noticed that our idea of god fits in nicely with what we would want to be true... ie. everything has a purpose, there is an afterlife, our deceased relatives are not gone forever, there is a big plan for us all, bad things happen for a reason.
    And of course, this did not sit well with me either :)

Anywho I just kept reading into it, analysing the arguments, and became more and more convinced that gods are man-made ideas that serve certain purposes in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

When I did leaving cert physics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

When I realised that there was little difference between the major religions I had encountered and any other clique or club "follow this set of arcane rules that make no sense in todays world or you can't play and we'll say stuff behind your back" my distrust and questions were founded.

Later, after spending a lot of time reading various occult books (AE waite, crowley and lots of squiggles attributed to King Solomon) and found that none of it worked at all my suspicions deepened.

Then I read the Satanic Bible by LaVey and realised that he pretty much hit the nail on the head - and had used the same tactics himself to establish his own dogmatic system (though non-deity ridden).

After a while I finally managed to shed the last of the supersitions I had from indoctrination by overzealous (if well meaning) aunts and grannys to become the well-rounded human being I have become :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Agnostic. No defining moment, just sort of drifting about, with bits and pieces of Christian ethic from Catholic upbringing remaining, intermixed with an eclectic cherry picking of various philosophical perspectives. I do lean towards Derridian postmodern deconstructionism, but that is more a method than a philosophy of life or being. But I am still young (just 21), so maybe I'll get more set in my views as I get older, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

When I realized my mom's handwriting matched Santa's, and if all the adults had been lying about that then they were probably lying about god, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dissident

I was brought up in an agnostic family and my teachers tried trick me into going to church and force me to say prayers, I also got in alot of fights with the kids in school because i didn't believe what they did, that made me hate religion in a way, also i thought it was freaky that a lad in - what looked like a dress - was rubbing my head and trying to feed me bread and calling it the body of Christ :rolleyes:

Defining moments are for religious people tbh..

It's a long process that involves alot of crossed-thought and deep thinking.

And a big dick. Athiests have big dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

15th Birthday.
    Woke up a christian, got out of bed an atheist.
    Nice sunny Sunday morning. Lay in bed thinking about my life to date and at some point had the startling realisation that religion was hogwash!
    (A St. Paul in reverse, on the road to Da-mattress (ouch))

I can't honestly say that I've retained with complete clarity the chain of thought, but I seem to recall it was along the lines of "Hey! If I'd been born in Israel I'd be Jewish, or if in Saudi Arabia I'd be a Moslem, or elsewhere a Hindu, or whatever, and my view of the world and my place in it would be so different. Lucky for me I was born in the one religion that was true among the thousands of beliefs that are complete nonesense. Wow, the right one among thousands and thousands and thousands, ... wait a minute...! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I was a pretty devout catholic until I went to college and stayed in catholic run on campus accomodation. On certain nights they had services on that invited the most indoctrinated, lost without god, people on board. After about 6 months of being in contact with these people I realised it was mostly a containment system for people who had become insane, although I couldnt have put it into those words at the time. Around then I realised I had been too gullable throughout my life and an open mind and critical thinking was the way to go.

I do suspect that my second level experiences had lessened my beliefs too in many areas over a long period of time, but the most defining period was those six months after starting college.

Edit: just to clarify I didnt go to the services, these people just came into our living area and ate our toast while we were there paying for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

PillyPen wrote: »
    When I realized my mom's handwriting matched Santa's, and if all the adults had been lying about that then they were probably lying about god, too.

My lil brother was asking for Santa's signature for validation purposes from the age of 8. God never stood a chance with that guy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

My lil brother was asking for Santa's signature for validation purposes from the age of 8. God never stood a chance with that guy. :pac:

Lol! I hope I have a kid like that. Can't give them any sort of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was a pretty devout Catholic up until my final year in College when a friend introduced me to The Selfish Gene, I found it to be a much more satisfying explanation for life than what religion provided. My faith gradually declined after that, experiencing one final peak around the time of the death of Pope John Paul II. After that it continued to fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

i've always just been more into the earth.. and all that sort of thing. Noticed how it provides what we need..
    Always been a bit of a hippy :cool:
    Just didn't fully grasp the concept of not questioning, or not having very good questions awnsered.

Its whatever floats your boat.

You'll fit right in, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I think subconsciously I was an atheist from the point in time when my uber-religious 1st/2nd class teacher gave me a dead arm for looking at a fly when she was telling a biblical story of some sort. I took a few years though to give up the crutch that religion provided. This was helped along by sheepishly people go along with religion out of nothing more than fear its disgraceful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Zillah wrote: »
    You'll fit right in, I'm sure.

very nice of you.
    but i never fitted in. its my cross to bear :D (it somes in pretty colours too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im not sure if I ever believed. Had some humiliating experiences at the hands of nuns in religious orders school I was sent to as a young child. Slowly realised that the nuns were for the most part bitter women (not all of them - but a lot). Asked a lot of questions in school - got no answers. Then moved house and changed school, suddenly was allowed to ask questions without receiving the 'we dont question gods ways' response.
    One day realised while in Mass with the folks (probably around 13 yrs old), that the priest was effectively up there talking about his imaginary friend. Came round to realising that religious war is based on 'My imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend' and that it was an accident of birth which faith you became indoctrinated into - wondered why people were not left with no religion til they were old enough to make an informed choice.

Further thinking convinced me it was all a bunch of clap trap - although I do enjoy the ceremonies of organised religions, the smell of incense, the murmuring in Latin of the catholic church - but the underlying belief in a God just doesnt make sense.

Read 'The God Delusion' - thought it should have been renamed 'Statements of the Bleedin Obvious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

No defining moment for me either. I never believed it. Even when primary school teachers were teaching biblical stories and all I just thought of it as some kind of "story time" the same as you’d get when you went home and watched bosco on RTE. Tele gave you good stories. The books I read from an early age gave good stories. The bible to me was just another load of good stories. Still is.

The only defining moments that make me more militant is when you try to take an interest in human affairs, education, politics, morality, science, health issues or ANYTHING and you constantly meet religion. You want to leave it alone and just let it be but it just.... won’t.... let.... you.

It is everywhere and it is used as a conversation stopper to win any argument that you antagonist wants to win. "I am right, god says so too, so you are wrong and you will burn in hell".
    No matter what your agenda you can cite your gods support and sit back smug as if you have just won something but you are not expected to provide any evidence for your god even existing... let alone PROVE it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We used to get satsumas in the bottom of our stocking of goodies. One year I said to mum "I think Santa takes fruit from our fruit bowl, instead of bringing his own!" Shortly after that I put two and two together :D Same with god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I guess it was a question a friend asked me in college. I was a very devout Christian and defended my beliefs openly, a lot of the time most of the people who claimed to be Atheist that I debated with usually ended up actually being agnostic and backing down when I'd give them one the plethora of misleading Christian analogies.

One person however actually was Atheist and the only topic he'd argue was the global flood. He stuck to it because it is probably the only story from the bible that is easily testable and refuted without it relying on faith or Gods power to accomplish it.

I remember the first question that clicked something in my brain was "How did all the marsupials get to Australia in 1 generation without leaving a fossil record of their migration" and "why did they need to go to Australia?"

These questions started me into researching the scientific evidence behind the flood, initially to refute my college friends claims, and how, if it actually happened, there would be overwhelming evidence to support it. What I found was just more questions. The Christian evidence was flaky at best whereas every other scientific field pretty much refutes that the biblical flood every happened on a global scale.

This article on the flood was pretty much the cornerstone of when my faith started to die and I started to accept reality:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I grew up in a Catholic family, although they werent exactly hard core. I think I started having doubts when i was around 8. I was a big fan of the David Attenborough documentaries and had a massive knowledge of animals (not to mention dinosaurs!).
    When you compare the studies of the natural world to what they told you in religion class, one school of taught presents a much better case than the other.
    I started calling myself agnostic when I was around 12 (starting secondary school). Didn't admit to being an atheist until I was about 15 because you can only take so much of clueless irate 11-13 year olds getting rilled up and asking questions like "Why don't you believe in God?" or telling me to prove God doesn't exist.

Actually a major turning point was the first Christmas when I refused to go to mass. My Dad joined my protest. "If the boy doesn't have to go, then neither do I!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gaviscon wrote: »
    Actually a major turning point was the first Christmas when I refused to go to mass. My Dad joined my protest. "If the boy doesn't have to go, then neither do I!"

haha :D legend

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Agnostic here, being a scientist I cannot absolutely refute the existence of god-like beings (but I do dispute the existence of the personal god present in religious writings). Give me an uzi and a zippo lighter, transport me to 10,000bc and I'd be a god among my ancestors :)

Like most people here, the whole 'god' thing didn't gel with what I knew and could observe from a very early age. The fact that I was fascinated (and still am) by outer space and the universe from when I was 5 probably helped. Once you cop that the bible and all those sort of scriptures discount the universe we see every night, it becomes very hard to find them credible.

In saying that, I find the meditation aspects of Buddhism very useful. Though I consider Buddhism more akin to a philosophy then a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

I grew up in a religious family, went to mass every sunday until I was twelve and attended religious schools even into third level. I can honestly say that I have had no bad experiences of religion or it's practicioners, (tho I do view the influence of organised religion to be malignant imposition on humanity).

Despite being surrounded by religion every day, it was and remains to be something incomprehensible to me.
    Faith is not something I have ever had or understood.

Therefore to answer your question, I believe that my Atheism (or whatever you wish to call it ) is innate. I have never chosen not to believe in Gods. I cannot fathom anyone who does belive in Gods.

Given the near-universality of belief in Gods I can only conclude that I have some developmental abnormality or genetic mutation that has affected the area of my brain that handles religion. I like to think of it as an inborn immunity to bull****.

Cheers,
    Marky

P.S. I hope it's hereditary ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Having been raised by a militantly atheist mother, I was never very religious. She never explicitly told me there was no god, just that she didn't think so.

Anyway, I "realised" there was no god at the age of 8, in our car, waiting in traffic outside the tax office near Harcourt St. with the No. 19 bus in front of us. It was about 12 noon and it was overcast. We were on our way to McDonalds. I demanded she tell me was Santa real, she said no, and the rest was history.

Advertisement