Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip for Waxing?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi - I never know with this one and it is a bit too late for the lovely lady who did my bikini wax today, but do you tip for waxing?? If so how much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yes; there has to be some reward for having to do that to women all day long.

A typical Brazilian/Hollywood will cost €60/65, so usually I tip €5/10 depending on the change I have.

I'm not necessarily so inclined to tip for other treatments unless I think they have done a very good job, but I just think for doing that area they deserve it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

in fairness, being fairly hairy, yes, anyone would deserve to be paid well for tackling me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I always tip i have been been going to the same waxer for the last 10 years and she is wonderful. She always fits me in even last minute, she never makes me feel uncomfortable and she is always a great laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MJ3

Thanks for clearing that up ladies, I'll tip her double next time to make up for yesterday!!

65 euro is more than enough for a wax imo.
    I hate tipping.

What ever happened to luck pennies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hi Moonbaby

First time I heard of luck pennies was last Friday when I got one when I changed the car.

Never knew a Luck Penny was worth €50 cash and and tank full of petrol - but I'm not complaining :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I always tip, hairdressers I usually have a colourist and stylist and tip them €5 and a€10, as for waxing I tip €10 too.
    Actually when I left €10 once the girl gave it back to me and asked was I sure as it was a bigger tip then they normally receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

i don't tip. It's like €50-60 for half an hour work, and they're the one who chose to work in this line of business. like they can't be that bothered with what they're doing otherwise they would prob just wax legs or eye brows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I confess to never tipping at the hairdressers, unless its a blowdry or an upstyle.

€200 for a cut and colour is more than enough to pay i think, and my stylist is the owner anyway so I wouldn't fell right about tipping him for some reason!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

As a beauty therapist myself i would say 95% of my clients would give me a tip,i don't think it has to be much but shows that you are happy with there work

• Advertisement

€200 for a cut and a colour is crazy money, I have the most hair in the world and 4 different colours, a cut and blow dry striaght will be about €170-€180.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I don't tip anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

As a general rule I rarely tip unless the service that I'm getting is exeptionally good. I think that tipping started out as a fashionable thing that people started to do here having seen it being done in the States and other countries - it gave people an excuse to flash some cash and come accross as generous, but the difference is that a lot of service workers over there just get a minimum wage and depend on tipping as their main source of income. Whereas here, people generally get a higher basic wage and service charge is already included in restaurants etc.

In fact I think it's a great system in America as it means that people serving you will make an effort to be nice and helpful, which is good for the company and the customer and their effort will be then rewarded by a nice tip - everyone's a winner!

It would make a nice change from the sour faced, grumpy and often rude sales assistants etc that we see here. I'm so sick of being served by people who have never heard of the words 'please' or 'thank you' in this country!

But Irish people have this ingrained thing in them about not appearing tight with money (why is that?) and so they will happily add on money to a bill which is already covering the wages of the person providing the service!

Having said that, I would tip a bit in restaurants if the waiting staff are nice. But to someone waxing, I'm sorry but as someone said earlier - why are they doing the job if it's so hard. Beauticians have to study and pass exams to to that job, I'm sure they know exactly what's involved before they spend all that time, energy and money on getting the qualification in the first place.

Being a bin man would be a much nastier job I reckon - when was the last time any of you tipped the guy that collects your rubbish???

I worked in a bar for a few years and rarely got tips (and yes I was always nice to the customers). A taxi driver once asked me for a tip (the cheek!) and I said to him "In all honesty do you tip the bar person when you order a drink" he replied "no". So why should I have tipped him just for doing his job when he would not have done the same to me?

Tupins wrote: »
    Being a bin man would be a much nastier job I reckon - when was the last time any of you tipped the guy that collects your rubbish???

We've always given the binmen a present at Christmas, most people in the area do.

Advertisement