Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp My Society 08/09

Options
  • 19-08-2008 4:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

This thread is for boardsies who are affiliated with societies to tell us why they're so much better than all the others. It's also a good place to ask any questions you might have about socities, since all the people who know about societies will be here already.

Any other threads relating to societies* will be locked and the posters referred here.

Play nice, children.

*Within reason - I'm obviously not going to lock anything tangentially related to soceities just because this sticky is here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*mod hat off*

*Auditor hat on*

So, Gamesoc.

If you're a returning student, then you've probably seen us, we tend to hang around the blob in arts with bizarre cards and weird board games, shouting strange things about critical hits and vorpal frying pans. Or you may have come across the very popular "Assassins" game we run, where you need to track down other members of the society and mock assassinate them with fake weaponry. Or you may have seen us in the freshers tent last year, and played with our Wii. Or you may be wondering what the hell I'm on about. However if you're new this year, then you probably haven't seen or heard of us before, so you will find the following quite useful.

Gamesoc is exactly what it says on the tin, we are the society for games. Our purview covers Board Games, Video Games, Card Games, War Games, Roleplaying Games - if it says game on it, then we do it. We have great plans for this year, and intend to be pretty much running nightly events catering to any student who enjoy games. We recently got a capital grant to purchase some sorely needed video game hardware, rather than relying on the charity of members, which will drastically improve our ability to run video gaming events, something which has (sadly) sucked a bit in past years. However I can guarantee you* that video games will be absolutely fantastic this year

We also have weekly coffee mornings, where we book a room and put a big pile of games in one corner, a big pile of tea/coffee/biscuits in the other corner and stand back. Those are (provisionally) every friday afternoon, and have been known to last up to 12 hours in the past.

In addition, we'll be running regular Magic tournaments, A number of weekly RPGs, Parties (Like the coffee mornings, but with alcohol), Weekly Video Game events, Assassins, Paintballing, Wargames, and anything else we can come up with between now and the end of the year

So, come by the stand and join up during freshers week, I guarantee** you won't regret it!

*Not a guarantee

**Also not a guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Join the Progressive Democrats. Liberal party ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Better get a pimping....

UCD Radiography Society.

We're a small but perfectly formed society. This is our third year around the place and our aim is to make it our biggest.

Highlights include World Radiography Day - this year that involved general mayhem, Greys Anatomy, Comedy Debates and handing out sweets and stickers around campus.

We also do an Welcome reception, the Physiography Ball in Conjunction with Physio Soc and every year we get a team together to run the Women's Mini marathon in Aid of a charity that the Society Chooses. This year we chose the RNLI and Irish Water Safety in memory of one of our classmates who died.

Other events are organised throughout the year and we try to make them varied and not just about the drinking (which we do too).

I've been involved from the beginning and was the inaugural Auditrix, this year I'm the postgrad rep, but we're mainly girls so we'd love to have some extra lads join the ranks!

Because after all rads are generally Ultrasound..... (Yes, I know, worst. joke. ever.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right, not exactly a society but American Football, http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4770758192

We may even be playing fully kitted next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

title.jpg

As one of the bigger and the single most active society in UCD (2 plays a day, five days a week - not including the astra hall shows, awards shows, shows on tour and the independent shows of society members, nor the after-show parties, freshers week events, swing ball...) there's really a lot more scope for involvement and meeting new people than...well the general populous seems to think!

That big notice board is still an effective means of getting in touch, but there is always someone either in the theater, the production area or the office - even if you're not a member of the society or are unsure about what it entails I'd strongly urge any and all to drop in; as long as somethings not on fire or rehearsals aren't going on, people are generally very enthusiastic about talking and explaining things to prospective members.

To that end, if anyone's interested in doing some tech work this year please feel free to either PM me here or send an email to tech(atnospam)ucddramsoc.com. No experience is necessary, nor do you have to go up ladders or anything you don't want to do. It encompasses everything from doing lighting design, rigging PA and external show equipment, rigging lights, running lengths of cable all across campus (fun, I know ), fixing an entire show with masking tape, liaising with the backstage manager, operating sounddesk/lighting desk or even operating your own show from start to finish.

If that doesn't sound like your thing, than there is still a multitude of positions that continuously need filling year in, year out - all departments are glad of any and all help they can get. If you're curious about what we do or would like to get involved don't hesitate to drop a line to any of the department heads

tech(atnospam)ucddramsoc.com (Lighting and Sound)
    production(atnospam)ucddramsoc.com (Set and Prop Building)
    prostup(atnospam)ucddramsoc.com (Costumes and Makeup)

www.ucddramsoc.com

And of course, if you act, write or direct run don't walk to our office - fresh talent is always needed and (mostly) appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

UCD history society. After a few low key years the society is under new management and better than ever. There will be weekly lectures with a wine reception afterwards. We have several international lecturers lined up, more details to follow. We will also have former UCD economics lecturer and Taoseach Garrett FitzGerald lined up to give a talk. For everyone politically and historically inclined join the History Soc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

scifidragonjq4.jpgscifiwordsvk3.jpg

Science Fiction & Fantasy society checking in!

We hang out in the ground floor of the science hub accross from Elements cafe. We run events every week including coffee mornings twice weekly in the students centre.

Always good for a laugh and a chuckle and sometimes a roll-a-round in the hay.

Our individual tastes vary from Star wars to family guy, from anime to earthworm jim.

We look forward to seeing our returning members and some new faces this year and i can personally promise you, it's well worth it. I for one ate my weight in cookies and jellys last year during the coffee mornings.

Hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

So, you've come to UCD, and you want to try something new, something you may never get the chance to do again, something exciting and challenging, something partially insane...

If so, have a look at the Caving Club - http://www.ucdcaving.com/

We're a small/medium sports club (~100 signed-up members each year, normally 40-50 active members) that explores caves both in Ireland and abroad (Last year, we had foreign caving trips to Yorkshire and canyoning in the French Alps).

Some stuff from French trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXUpN2J_Vk

No previous experience is required, or equipment, as we'll take care of you for as long as you need.

We organise regular trips to Clare and Fermanagh (main caving areas in Ireland), and we have a weekly training session for vertical rope techniques at the climbing wall. We also organise a wide variety of social outings (drinking, bowling, cinema, ice-skating, pantball, whatever someone suggests). While the weather is good, and we aren't away caving, we also make trips to Dalkey quarry to practise our ropework.

We're a friendly bunch, so come along and have a chat at our award-winning stand during the sports expo - or email us (ucdcavers at gmail dhot com)

Dave

A slight note - If I see one more post outside of this thread pimping a society (such as throwing "P.S. Join the Seal Club" on the end of your post), I will ban the offender. I've had to take it out of people's posts twice already. There's a dedicated sticky for it, throwing it elsewhere is just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

So, UCD Photosoc.... yay!

Myself and mloc are the new auditors for one of UCD's oldest societies for some of UCD's most talented and diverse students. This society is open to anyone with an interest in photography, whether professional, experienced or complete novice, we are dying to have you involved.

The society is a core resource for both the members and the college, providing a pool of photographers for college papers, societies and students, while also providing an active, diverse and evolved resource from which our members can draw on and both contribute and learn from.

With the increasing affordability of digital cameras, more and more people look to get better results from their shots and learn more about what they can do with their gear. Our plan this year is to host more talks, ranging from beginners to advanced, novice to pro, film to digital and covering all aspects from being a hobby to earning money from your work. We also hope to provide a source of photo opportunities and trips for our members, where they can broaden their experience and learn hands-on from other members.

All in all, it promises to be a good year, we are planning on taking the pace of the society up a notch and making this the best year yet for UCD Photosoc. Check out our website or our flickr group. Hoping to see you this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

so i want to make a few mates in college...whats the best society/sports club for meeting people and social life??? iv only got a year left and i want it to be a good one!
    anyone here a member of the sub aqua?
    does anyone know if the mma club got there thai boxing coach back?

mac123 wrote: »
    anyone here a member of the sub aqua?

Sub-aqua are a good bunch, but the sport itself is not good for the penny-pinching student - the club do a lot to minimise costs, but it still costs a bit to run all the boats, get equipment serviced and certified, fill dive tanks, etc....

Anyway, its great fun if you haven't done it before, start training in Oct, and they'll have you competant, fit and diving by Easter weekend (traditional first big diving trip of the season)

Dave

so i want to make a few mates in college...whats the best society/sports club for meeting people and social life???

Pretty much all of them, s'kinda the point. Most people will give you a biased answer, based on the club or society they're personally involved in, howevever the crux of the matter is pretty much any soc is good for meeting people and social life. The trick is just to find one based on something that interests you and start from there! I'd also suggest smaller socs over the big few, since there tends to be more of a community spirit in smaller socs. However that is by no means a hard and fast rule.

Only societies I really have personal experience with is Gamesoc and Dramsoc, both of which are awesome, and a great way to make friends and have a larf, although Dramsoc eats lives.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very much agreed with Gamesoc being fun - even though I got stupidly lazy when I was on the committee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Mathsoc is hard to promote (most people = ignorant assholes) but it is certainly something different :)

we have outlasted other science societies - the scientific society, phys-soc etc. and so we can hold a wide variety of events: last year we ventured into physics and computer science.

we also take trips (unlike those societies who are all talk about trips away). last year was a weekend in maynooth and the year before a weekend in cork. there will be another weekend in cork this year!! always good fun there.

i could go on but i wont bore you....check us out during freshers week.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Sub-aqua are a good bunch, but the sport itself is not good for the penny-pinching student - the club do a lot to minimise costs, but it still costs a bit to run all the boats, get equipment serviced and certified, fill dive tanks, etc....

Anyway, its great fun if you haven't done it before, start training in Oct, and they'll have you competant, fit and diving by Easter weekend (traditional first big diving trip of the season)

Dave

yeah i have a few dives under my belt, just recently did my advanced open water. is it mainly aimed at beginners? id basically like to keep my diving at a reasonable standard during the year until i get a chance to do some serious diving again...its kinda addictive!! cheers for the advice anyway, hopefully i can save a little before oct anyway cause im skint at the minute:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Does UCD have a Paranormal or UFO soc?

yeah i have a few dives under my belt, just recently did my advanced open water. is it mainly aimed at beginners? id basically like to keep my diving at a reasonable standard during the year until i get a chance to do some serious diving again...

Actually the opposite - although the annual routine is about getting beginners trained up and qualified, most of the divers in the club are at a very high level (several at instructor level) - as they are a CFT club, and hence also a CMAS club, this will have taken many years of diving, and hundreds of dives.

http://www.cft.ie/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMAS

Every year, they do a cross-over course for PADI divers, to get your qualification recognised (for CFT insurance).

http://ucdsac.org/node/42

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

6th wrote: »
    Does UCD have a Paranormal or UFO soc?

There was a move to set one up. Two years ago and recently by me however due to the extreme ammount of work trying to get it up and running in a few months onto of other commitments I have it would be a half arsed attempt and such a society deserves full time effort. I havard reference that I do.

If someone was to set up a Parasoc Id jump on the chance to be involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I'm quite eager to join an art society, but I don't know if there is such a society in UCD? I saw a notice-board in the Arts block entitled "Art society" but it was full of notices for the Women's society. I guess I'll find out Freshers' Week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There is. Its really new. Well recently restarted. It mostly does nights out and runs arts day. BUT there are loads of smaller soc's for more individual facultys in arts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think he means "Art" as in painting, not "Arts" as in the Arts faculty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Yes, I meant art as in visual art. Thanks for the info, though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thedecline

Swimming & Waterpolo
    This year we're going to have more training hours than ever before, proper coaches for the first time ever, and we will be entering a mens team in the leinister league for the first time in a few years.
    All are welcome from beginners to Olympians.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are there any clubs/societies that promote late drinks or nights out for people? I remember the kickboxing and fencing clubs used to head to the bar after classes and I found it a good way to meet people.

Anyone know what other clubs/societies offer this type of thing? I'm eager to have a few beers with people. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

In these days of sameness and utter blandness, I would love to see a Real Beer Society.

Any takers? I would use the micro brewery model as a yardstick; say the beers produced by Porterhouse, Mssers Maguires, St. Francis Brewery...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I don't know if it's a society, but the volunteering that goes on looks interesting.

Got an e-mail today which mentioned sanding/painting railings in a playground for 4 hours on some Friday which I figured would be a good way to meet people/add some life to my CV.

Does much volunteering go on, and do many people get involved? Is there an actual society for it?

Start of another year , Ill plug the Archaeological Society. Mixing beer with nights in castles and trips to see large old stones. We have a couple of very special guests this year ! wink wink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

So I'm hearing a lot about LAN nights these days.

Who is better for providing such entertainment: Gamesoc or Netsoc?

• Advertisement

Yeah Gamesoc, get the finger out on this one. LAN nights !! An old school one, CS . None of this Halo ****e !

Advertisement