Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Event Guide

Options
  • 17-08-2008 3:55pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is always something happening in Carlow. Throughout the year numerous festivals, events, gigs etc. take place in Carlow. So, feel free to post up any information you have in this thread (only this thread please!). Links attached to posts are also welcome for further information.

All are welcome to post in this thread with anything happening in Carlow!

EDIT: Please don't post up images (posters, leaflet or other images associated with the vent). Just the basic information on the event. This isn't an AdShell folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Anyone any idea when the Tower is opening & when Ocean Colour Scene are coming to play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i thought the Tower was open every saturday night?
    And there's no mention of Carlow on the Ocean Colour Scene website
    Tour dates 2008
    All gigs are full band unless stated.

SEPTEMBER
    6.9.08 - Sony Ericsson Cois Fharraige Festival, Ireland - Simon & Oscar (Acoustic)
    Box office details: www.ticketmaster.ie or www.coisfharraige.com

20.9.08 - Picturedrome, Holmfirth West Yorkshire - Simon & Oscar (Acoustic)
    Tickets: £15
    Box Office: 01484 689759 | Order Online

26.9.08 - Picturedrome, Northampton - Simon & Oscar (Acoustic)
    Buy Tickets

DECEMBER
    Sat 6th - Rock City, Nottingham 08713 100 000 | www.gigantic.com

Sun 7th - Leeds Academy, Leeds 0844 477 2000 | www.ticketweb.co.uk

Mon 8th - UEA LCR, University of East Anglia, Norwich 01603 508050 | www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk

Weds 10th - Mandela Hall, Queens Student Union, Belfast 0870 243 44 55 | www.geturticket.com and www.ticketmaster.ie

Thur 11th - Olympia Theatre, Dame Street, Dublin 0870 243 44 55 | www.ticketmaster.ie or from all Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

Sat 13th - Grand Hall, Kilmarnock 0844-8472269 | www.ticketmaster.co.uk

Sun 14th - Kinema Ballroom, Dunfermline 0844-8472269 | www.ticketmaster.co.uk

Tues 16th - Ironworks Live Music Venue, Inverness 08717894173 | www.ironworksvenue.com

Weds 17th - Barrowlands Ballroom, Glasgow 0844-8472269 | www.ticketmaster.co.uk

Sat 20th - Hammersmith Apollo, London 08448 44 47 48 | See Tickets

Sun 21st - Apollo, Manchester 08444 777 677 | See Tickets

Mon 22nd - Civic Hall, Wolverhampton 0870 320 7000 | See Tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Didnt realise the tower wasnt opened. I know they have changed the interior a bit recently, might have been temporarily closed while this was being completed.

There is a big poster out on the street in front saying Ocean Colour Scene are coming :rolleyes:

queen-mise wrote: »
    There is a big poster out on the street in front saying Ocean Colour Scene are coming :rolleyes:

and in the small print does it say "Tribute" ..??

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    and in the small print does it say "Tribute" ..??

I have no idea but they played in the music factory year or two ago.

AFAIK that was the OCC tribute band, not the actual OCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i dont think so - im certain it was actually ocean colour scene who played in the music factory a few years back

I stand corrected: http://www.oceancolourscene.com/gigography/sixteen

January

27 - Edinburgh, The Venue (XFM Promo - Acoustic gig)

Febuary

16 - The Jam House, St. Pauls Square, Birmingham - Live acoustic album recording

May Acoustic Tour

01 - Halfmoon, Putney, South West London (Simon solo)
    08 - Cox's Yard, Stratford Upon Avon (Simon, Oscar & Dan)
    12 - Trinity College Ball, Dublin. Ireland (Student gig)
    13 - The Music Factory Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

iamhunted wrote: »
    i dont think so - im certain it was actually ocean colour scene who played in the music factory a few years back

Yeah you're right. I was talking to their manager one night in Dundee and he said they had played in Carlow before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Ocean are one of many bands to play the new tower over the next couple of months, dates not confirmed yet.... some great acts lined up, bilzzards in a week or two and then duke special to play, and the stage in the tower is so cool now did anyone see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭patrickc

the blizzards and duke special 2 good line ups..

great line up.... with some more good bands to come.... so is the blizzards an excuse for all the carlow boardsie to attend and have a few drinks????

lotdpd wrote: »
    great line up.... with some more good bands to come.... so is the blizzards an excuse for all the carlow boardsie to attend and have a few drinks????

carlow beers to be held

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361579

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

does anyone know if Duke Special is def playing in the tower on Nov 22? according to his website he is bt on his forum it says its been moved to portlaosie :eek::(

ye he is def playing the 22nd.... the banner is big enough on the side of the tower hehe......

he was meant to play the 21st in carlow but it was changed to the 22nd... so see ya all there

ye he is def playing the 22nd.... the banner is big enough on the side of the tower hehe......

he was meant to play the 21st in carlow but it was changed to the 22nd... so see ya all there

just back from him vs divine comedy he was class, both were actually...

right lads and lassies..... republic of loose to play carlow in the tower at xmas, looking forward to that

duke special is signing his new cd in roxy records at 2pm on saturday. I'm raging I forgot he was on this weekend and made other plans.

see ye at the tower on sat! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

dragonfly! wrote: »
    see ye at the tower on sat! :D

Why what's on? Saturday nights in the foundry... scary times :P

dragonfly! wrote: »
    does anyone know if Duke Special is def playing in the tower on Nov 22? according to his website he is bt on his forum it says its been moved to portlaosie :eek::(

as from these posts

was a class gig after!:)

was wondering how it went, was raging I couldn't go.. I've only seen him 3 times before he's brilliant.

01mirelly wrote: »
    CARLOW CHORAL SOCIETY

PRESENTS

HAYDN: THE CREATION

CARLOW CATHEDRAL 8.15PM SUNDAY 14TH JUNE

TICKETS 20EURO AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

LOVELY big open air gig in fairgreen carlow. know joe cleere is set to play a kick ass electric set. on from about 3pm, i think. sunday 14th june. im really pissed at my boss she schedules me in this sunday, and has me off for the next 3!! so i cant go!raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lev

The Lemons are playing in the Barracks this Thursday 23/07, we'll be playing a 2 hour covers set from 10pm. For more info on the band check: http://www.myspace.com/thelemons09

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jobopps

I just wanted to bring this to the attention for anyone who is currently unemployed and intrested in starting their own business a new Free StartYour Own Business Programme

This unique programme, funded by Greencore and Carlow Kilkenny Skillnets
    and supported by Department of Social Welfare and Carlow County EnterpriseBoard, is offering 12 people whom are currently unemployed a FRESH START and
    a) Use of a fully furnished office space
    b) Access to reception facilities , photocopying and printing facilities
    c) One day per week training in a Start your own business programme - see topics below
    (5 fetac certificates will be included as part of the programme)
    d) Mentoring from business experts from our mentors panel

The Programme will be of 20 weeks duration starting October 12th 2009

Brief Programme Description
    This programme is suited to those aspiring to start their own business. It is designed to help individuals who are considering starting their own business to obtain and/or develop the necessary skills and knowledge to assess the marketing and financial viability of their business idea/project. This programme will also take a look at the entrepreneurial skills and tools necessary for any successful start up. The programme will focus in on researching ideas for businesses and planning finance for start-ups. Individuals looking to start their own business will receive advice on the “do’s” and “don’ts” of a successful start up as well as looking at the core elements of a business plan.

Aims of the Programme
    The aims of this programme is to give individuals seeking to start their own business the skills, management tools and expertise in making the right decisions, planning and organising effectively. It will help individuals gauge the amount of control they need to use in order to keep their new venture running effectively and efficiently.

Start Your Own Business Programme Content
    • Self-Assessment for start your own business
    • Preparing a Business Plan
    • Researching the Market
    • Sources of Funding
    • Sales
    • Occupational first aid certification
    • Quality Management
    • Legal Issues
    • Marketing for the Small Business
    • Finance
    • Basic Bookkeeping
    • Using IT in your Business
    • Customer care
    • Time management

Outcomes
    Upon Completion of this programme students will:
    • Have explored the realities of running their own business showing an understanding of basic business fundamentals.
    • Understand the standard and the framework and underlying principles of formatting a business plan.
    • Develop a business plan process combining marketing, financial and management plans.
    • Understand the sales and marketing process and in effect be able to produce a sales action plan.
    • Understand the forms of business organisation, the advantages and disadvantages of each.
    • Have an overview of financial structure, requirements and strategy in a small business
    • Introduction to the fundamentals of business taxation, understanding of how to register the new business for taxation, PAYE, PRSI, VAT.
    • Explore issues relating to business development

To join this programme, email: info@carlowgateway.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Great Idea I have to say I know 1 or 2 people who would be greatly interested in this.. I'll be passing it on to them.

I am looking into the option of a new startup myself an the moment, but I have a job is there anything your group / collection of group's can help me with, even just a pointer sessions etc??

Would be interesting to see what opinions "someone in the know" has to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jobopps

That's great to hear. Ask them to contact us asap as the programme starts the 12th of next month. If you email your own details to me I will be more than happy to send contact details of people who would be able to help you with our own startup.

info@carlowgateway.ie

Advertisement