Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My opinion isn't worth anything to anybody, but my opinion is that 7 seconds isn't worth a damn. My doctor and nurses had me in for minutes at a time, up to over 15 minutes after about 6/7 weeks. After a few weeks I looked like I lived on Ibiza, but it also cleared up the bloody Psoriasis.

I feel the same way. But I don't know how to get my feelings across politely without it seeming like I'm telling them how to do their job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Maybe just tell them your concerns. That you are seeing no improvement, that you feel 7 seconds is a very short time and that you can't commit to coming for the next few months especially when you are seeing no benefit. Maybe ask to see pictures or what they expect to happen after each week. For example will there will be less scales, less redness, less itchiness etc. Bear in mind I don't know anything about this treatment but I know nurses are used to being questioned about their methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

ryanf1 wrote: »
    30 sessions is 15 weeks? Theres no possibly I can commit to it for that long. I'd want top be seeing some level of improvement in the next 2-3 weeks if I'm to stick to it

I was doing it 3 days a week. It was a lot easier for me though as I live in Cork and the hospital was easy to get to.

Best thing you can do is talk to them about your concerns.

I'll think about it tonight and see show I get on. I suppose I just feel I'm putting my life on hold to do this so I want to know its worthwhile. I just recently graduated from college but cant take a job until this is done.
    Also I just noticed a slight burn form Monday. Its my own fault really because I didnt put enough sunscreen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I'll think about it tonight and see show I get on. I suppose I just feel I'm putting my life on hold to do this so I want to know its worthwhile. I just recently graduated from college but cant take a job until this is done.
    Also I just noticed a slight burn form Monday. Its my own fault really because I didnt put enough sunscreen on.

Sunscreen? I never used that while doing it. I presume you were told to obviously. It's obviously abit different than what I did.

I think I started out on about 10secs and only went up to about 1 minute in total by the end of 6 weeks doing it 3 times a week.

• Advertisement

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Sunscreen? I never used that while doing it. I presume you were told to obviously. It's obviously abit different than what I did.

I think I started out on about 10secs and only went up to about 1 minute in total by the end of 6 weeks doing it 3 times a week.

I have to take a bath in a solution to make my skin more sensitive to light for the UVA to (supposedly)work. When I finish I have to put sunscreen in areas that I can't cover(hands,face,neck) to protect them from natural light. On Monday I must have forgot to put it on my neck.
    I think you may have had UVB but I don't know what the difference is or why doctors choose one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I never put sunscreen on either.

I was taking tablets every morning some time before treatment, a load of them, something like 6 or 7. From then on, I had to wear long sleeved clothing, and sunglasses for the day, but not sunscreen. That sounds counter productive to me.

Dublin is a right pain alright, especially when you and I know they have the cabins in WRH (that's where I did all my treatments !).
    I had 3 sessions a week too, how many do you do a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

i had a lot on my back/arms/chest/shins so i started just doing it in a pair of boxers. starting at 10 seconds. never had to use sunscreen apart from on a few moles.

after about 4 sessions I started to wear a helmet as my face/scalp did not have any psoriasis.

It's unfortunate that you need to put a job on hold for this but stick with it. It has good results on anyone i've spoken to.

Had the hard conversation that was needed yesterday.
    I just said I feel that my Psoriasis is getting worse rather than better and I went into PUVA based on a 6 week commitment by me, not 10 or 12 or indefinitely until I get results. Im meeting Dr Kirby on the 9th which is just over a week away so we'll see where things go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've suffered with my own dose of psoriasis for nearly 15 years now. Thankfully my case is relatively mild by comparison to the very severe cases that one can see - I only really get it on my scalp and a few other places like the navel. In recent years it's spread to most of my scalp, and beyond the hairline onto my forhead. It's still not a problem, as I can hide it all with my hair. Mine has never cleared up with exposure to the sun, or got worse with stress, it's there and it just seems to stay there. I haven't ever really had a flare up of it only to go away again.

Thus far I've had steroidal stuff that will 80-90% clear the plaques, but they'll always come back within 1-2 weeks or so. The steroidal stuff is effective at clearing it up at least temporarily but applying steroids topically just isn't a solution long term as it does have adverse effects like thinning the skin if you use too much of it, as I've found out.

I've begun to research fixing it via diet for the last few weeks. I notice people often report success by eating a paleo diet or by going gluten free/dairy free. The theory is that psoriasis or most auto-immune diseases are down to a leaky gut, where certain stuff leaks out of your gut that shouldn't, your body attacks said stuff and the result is food allergies, and skin issues like psoriasis and the like. The report is that dairy, gluten and stuff that's hard to digest are the things that cause your gut to leak in the 1st place, and that the thing you should do is cut out these foods entirely and also consume foods that help heal your gut, like coconut products and homemade bone broth.

That would definitely fit with me, because one of my main hobbies is powerlifting/bodybuilding. As a result, to get extra protein my consumption of dairy would have gone up significantly over the last few years - whey powder, cottage cheese, milk etc. and my psoriasis has definitely got worse at a faster (albeit still very slow) rate over the last 4-5 years since I started it. Not to mention, I also don't really have any gut healing food in my diet currently.

So my new experiment is to try and get to the bottom of this via diet this time. I'm two weeks into what is almost a paleo diet, I haven't noticed anything yet, but I need to start consuming gut healing foods too. I'm planning on drinking coconut water daily which can be had in the supermarkets, and bone broth can be made cheaply and easily from a chicken carcass left over after a roast or from some bones that can be had cheap from a butcher. Bone broth is supposed to one of the most effective things in healing any gut related issues.

I'll report back if I've any success, but I think healing it from the inside-out rather than topically applying stuff to the skin is the way to go. People tend to report changes after like 6-12 weeks of a dietary choice, so this could take a while. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

z0oT wrote: »
    The theory is that psoriasis or most auto-immune diseases are down to a leaky gut, where certain stuff leaks out of your gut that shouldn't, your body attacks said stuff and the result is food allergies, and skin issues like psoriasis and the like.

What? You're kidding, right?

This theory has been around for a while and that it is one of the causes of psoriasis...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leaky-gut-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Leaky gut syndrome'

'Leaky gut syndrome' is a proposed condition some health practitioners claim is the cause of a wide range of long-term conditions, including chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis (MS).
    Proponents of 'leaky gut syndrome' claim that many symptoms and diseases are caused by the immune system reacting to germs, toxins or other large molecules that have been absorbed into the bloodstream via a porous ("leaky") bowel.
    There is little evidence to support this theory, and no evidence that so-called "treatments" for "leaky gut syndrome", such as nutritional supplements and a gluten-free diet, have any beneficial effect for most of the conditions they are claimed to help.
    While it is true that certain factors can make the bowel more permeable, this probably does not lead to anything more than temporary mild inflammation of an area of the bowel.

More here...

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10908/9-signs-you-have-a-leaky-gut.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Hi all.
    I'm new to thread. I've got Psoriasis on my scalp and forehead. I'm also coeliac and have read before about the 2 being connected. I've also heard of the leaky gut theory.

It's one theory. Here's another link:
    http://draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/

It certainly fits in my case, with my high consumption of dairy (isn't everyone like that here in Ireland), and gluten since I just love fresh crusty bread. The hardest thing about the paleo diet is that since I still get cravings for it every now and then.

I don't think going to a GP or Dermatologist is going to do anything for me since the GP is just going to prescribe me steroidal cream/ointments. The Dermatologist I don't know, but neither are going to suggest dietary changes.

I'd be surprized if I can't get to the bottom of it via diet, since I've fixed so much else from dietary changes - lost 20kg, put on significant muscle, better energy levels, almost never sick etc.
    I'm two weeks into what is almost a paleo diet, I haven't noticed anything yet
    Actually that's not entirely true. Even though I'm in my late 20's, I can still get some flares of mild acne. Just a single spot or two, nothing big. I get some on my face/neck and chest. Certain foods trigger it, chocolate is a bad one in particular.

It's been over a week now since I've had anything on my face. So maybe I'm onto something with a paleo diet. Not to mention, my sister was recently found to have an allergy to dairy, so it's likely I could have one too.

Candidia overgrowth is another theory that is around as well.

When it comes to diet, as a quick FYI, I was at a skin foundation seminar last November and at the psoriasis talk I asked the question about diet. The doctors and dermatologists said that gluten can be a trigger but that there isn't enough evidence to be definate.

It's hard to know really. You ask different people, they'll tell you different things. You've just got to try out stuff and find whatever works for you.

I must admit - I'm a little cynical with what a doctor will tell you about in general, given it's really in their interest to prescribe you some from of medicine rather than you making dietary changes that'll fix whatever problem you have. That's a rant for another place. :p

Also, here's a blog some may find interesting. The girl who wrote it claimed to have eliminated her psoriasis by following a Paleo AIP diet (no nightshades, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs, no nuts, no legumes) and by consuming bone broth and other foods targetted at the "Leaky Gut Syndrome".
    https://paleocollegestudent.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/psoriasis-update-after-one-month-of-paleo-aip/

I must admit - I'm a little cynical with what a doctor will tell you about in general, given it's really in their interest to prescribe you some from of medicine rather than you making dietary changes that'll fix whatever problem you have. That's a rant for another place. :p

In my experience I disagree with that. I have IBS and used get really bad stomach cramps. My doctor prescribed me with buscopan for one month but when I went back for another prescription she recommended I start the low-fodmap diet rather than depend on the medication. So far it is working far better than the medication.

You said in a previous post that using steroid creams thinned your skin. How did you know this had happened? I use dovobet on my scalp at least once a week.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    In my experience I disagree with that. I have IBS and used get really bad stomach cramps. My doctor prescribed me with buscopan for one month but when I went back for another prescription she recommended I start the low-fodmap diet rather than depend on the medication. So far it is working far better than the medication.

You said in a previous post that using steroid creams thinned your skin. How did you know this had happened? I use dovobet on my scalp at least once a week.
    Be thankful that you've a good doctor like that so. I was always persistently told that diet had no relation to most stuff I went into a doctor about, when I was younger with a much worse diet. It is wrong to tar everyone with one brush I'll admit. :p

Regarding your question, in my case you can tell the skin has been thinned by just looking at the surrounding unaffected skin and comparing it to that. That is after using the cream as prescribed for 1 week+. I found that Dovobet will eradicate the flakiness for me, but it made the skin patches more red and actually sore in the process.

BTW, well done on getting to the bottom of your IBS. ;)

Yah my doctor is very good. I actually can't believe the difference it has made. Before I used be in pain nearly every day and it really affected my quality of life. I don't have a gluten free or dairy free diet but I have greatly reduced my intake of these foods. I haven't noticed a difference so far.

I also bought the Moogoo shampoo and conditioner last week. However I find my scalp is still itchy. The conditioner does leave my hair lovely and soft though. I think I will introduce nizoral and use that weekly. Hopefully all of these products together will improve the itchiness and flakiness.

I only use dovobet at the back of my scalp so I actually can't see the skin well due to hair/bad position. But I have noticed redness alright but it hasn't been sore so far.

My Dermatologist doesn't like his patients using Dovobet. And his reasons are correct because I have personally experienced what says happens. But on the other hand it gives me almost immediate relief. Now after 5 PUVA sessions over 2 weeks, I'm looking at these red plaques which I know would be gone in 2-3 days if I used devote,but then whey would be back just as quick which is my dermatologists point.

Also, regarding the leaky gut. I have fairly irregular bowels and I do sometimes wonder if having a pile of waste matter sitting inside me for longer than it should be can contribute. It must give off toxins which can potentially aggrevgate it. No Doctor has ever suggested that to me, its just my own thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

Similar to Zoot I've suffered from a fairly mild version of psoriasis for about 12 years but never had a period where I've managed to get rid of it completely. I get it on my scalp, nails, lower legs, elbows and I suppose most unfortunately in the genital area - but I consider myself fortunate when I hear some of the symptoms reported by others on here and elsewhere. I've had repeated visits to dermatologists and although some advice helped, every 3 months it's pay €180 for the same advice and the same prescriptions. To be honest, just like Zoot, I've got tired of forking out for short term reliefs like Dovobet and would really like to find an alternative that treats the cause rather than the symptoms. So this week I did something which is completely against my own cynical nature and went to see a herbalist. He's given me some brown potion which looks like it may have been extracted directly from his septic tank and he's precluded me from eating any oranges, tomato skins (pulp is okay), and any pig sourced products (do Jewish people not get psoriasis?). I'm to go back in 2 weeks for the second phase of treatment which may well involve decades of the rosary and rain dances but hopefully no more sewage water. I will of course let everyone know if it works and if it does I can guarantee you that it won't be because of the placebo effect.

BTW, one thing to mention I've found very good to apply to the plaques is Castor Oil. It's one of those wonder cures like Aloe Vera that can be used to treat a whole load of skin issues. It's a little hard to get since it can induce labor in pregnant women apparently if consumed. I've only been able to get it in a pharmacy after having them order it in for me. Sometimes they'll actually ask you what you want it for too.

I find it's extremely effective at reducing the redness. Just one application is enough to see the effect. The only problem is it's quite sticky, you kind of need to mix it with something else.

I haven't used it long enough to know if it's something that'll actually work like the steroid creams/ointments, and I don't think it'll eliminate it. But I recommend trying it as a means to control your psoriasis flares.
    greenfrogs wrote: »
    Yah my doctor is very good. I actually can't believe the difference it has made. Before I used be in pain nearly every day and it really affected my quality of life. I don't have a gluten free or dairy free diet but I have greatly reduced my intake of these foods. I haven't noticed a difference so far.
    I actually looked up the diet you mentioned and while it doesn't mention gluten, it mentions reducing your intake of dairy, legumes and a lot of the stuff you get from processed foods. It seems to me there's a lot to be said for a Paleo diet.

Another thing I gather is that auto-immune diseases aren't nearly as common outside the Western World. It would certainly stand to reason with our consumption of gluten, dairy, processed foods, nightshades etc.
    Also, regarding the leaky gut. I have fairly irregular bowels and I do sometimes wonder if having a pile of waste matter sitting inside me for longer than it should be can contribute. It must give off toxins which can potentially aggrevgate it. No Doctor has ever suggested that to me, its just my own thoughts
    What's your diet like out of curiosity?
    Shoneen wrote: »
    Similar to Zoot I've suffered from a fairly mild version of psoriasis for about 12 years but never had a period where I've managed to get rid of it completely.

So this week I did something which is completely against my own cynical nature and went to see a herbalist.
    That to me says that the trigger for our psoriasis has to be there all the time, whether it's consumption of dairy/gluten, stress or whatever. Finding it is going to be the tough part.

I'll be curious to see what comes of going to a herbalist for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The girl who wrote it claimed to have eliminated her psoriasis by following a Paleo AIP diet (no nightshades, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs, no nuts, no legumes) and by consuming bone broth and other foods targetted at the "Leaky Gut Syndrome".
    https://paleocollegestudent.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/psoriasis-update-after-one-month-of-paleo-aip/

So bone broth and coconut for life ?
    And maybe nibbling on some dandelion leaves or something ?

I'd rather live with my psoriasis tbh.

What's your diet like out of curiosity?

Could be better, could be worse. Breakfast will be cereal with milk and occasionally a slice of brown bread.
    Lunch can vary, maybe a small pizza and wedges or maybe meat sandwich/roll, followed by a small sweet.
    Dinner again is slightly variable. Will typically consist of potato in various forms, one or 2 veg and a piece of meat, and again followed by a sweet.
    I may occasionally add a few more bits to that, particularly if I'm doing a heavy workout or if I go to bed late and I feel hungry.

Almost a year ago I got so constipated I nearly ended up in hospital and I still haven't got 100% normal habits, but getting there. I cant say for sure there is a link between any of that, and I'm not entirely convinced there is but it ha been mentioned many times.

Could be better, could be worse. Breakfast will be cereal with milk and occasionally a slice of brown bread.
    Lunch can vary, maybe a small pizza and wedges or maybe meat sandwich/roll, followed by a small sweet.
    Dinner again is slightly variable. Will typically consist of potato in various forms, one or 2 veg and a piece of meat, and again followed by a sweet.
    I may occasionally add a few more bits to that, particularly if I'm doing a heavy workout or if I go to bed late and I feel hungry.

Almost a year ago I got so constipated I nearly ended up in hospital and I still haven't got 100% normal habits, but getting there. I cant say for sure there is a link between any of that, and I'm not entirely convinced there is but it ha been mentioned many times.
    Yeah you could go a ways to clean up that tbh. The processed breakfast cereal, the pizza, the wedges, the sweets, the bread etc.

Here's my own diet just to show you. The phrase "Nutritional Nazi" and me have been used in the same sentence quite often though. :p

Breakfast: Brazil Nuts, Apple, Scoop of Protein Powder (currently Beef Protein Isolate, I used to have Whey with milk here)
    Morning Meal: Chicken, Vegetables, Olive Oil
    Lunch: Fish (usually Tuna), Vegetables, Olive Oil
    Evening Snack: Eggs, Banana, Almonds
    Dinner: Steak/Salmon/Chicken, Vegetables, Cashew Nuts or Almond Butter with Flax Seed
    Supper: Scoop of Protein Powder

That's what I'm eating now, I had much more dairy and bread in it up until 2 weeks ago. It's pretty much Paleo, and it's also very high fat, high protein, and low carb since I need it for my progress in gym and I'm chasing a goal of visible abs at the moment. Not everybody needs to eat like this mind you.

Probably won't help your psoriasis (at least not immediately), but eating better would probably make you feel better in other ways.

That's what I'm eating now, I had much more dairy and bread in it up until 2 weeks ago. It's pretty much Paleo, and it's also very high fat, high protein, and low carb since I need it for my progress in gym and I'm chasing a goal of visible abs at the moment. Not everybody needs to eat like this mind you.

Probably won't help your psoriasis (at least not immediately), but eating better would probably make you feel better in other ways.

Thats a lot of protein but then theres a nice bit of fibre in there to push it through. Puts mine to shame really! Im straying wildly OT here but I'm fairly skinny (5ft7 and 10stone) so I could do with some bulk. I had no real digestive issues until year ago when I got the most awful pain I hope I ever get in the middle of the night, my GP examined me throughly as the reason wasn't clear cut and asked me a few things. To cut a long drawn nightmare short I had an impacted bowel. Since then Ive tried to add some Flax to certain meals and tried to make some dietary changes even though I have a way to go there. Im the sort of person that I don't have a very varied diet but when I get something I like I eat loads of it.

During that time and being that sick I fell off my Psoriasis regime and it obviously stressed me out a lot, which is my no.1 trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Has anyone ever tried or have any experiences or recommendations with homeopathy?

I've read of people using it before as an alternative medicine?

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried or have any experiences or recommendations with homeopathy?

No I haven't and I don't really believe in that sort of thing to be honest.

BlondeBomb wrote: »

I tried it and it did nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1971.tb07232.x/abstract;jsessionid=4B7C897A38F8EDC4C04B4505CE6818FF.f04t03
    A DIETARY REGIMEN IN THE TREATMENT OF PSORIASIS

SUMMARY.— A dietary regimen employing turkey meat as the major protein source has been evaluated in patients with severe psoriasis. These patients had been selected for failure to remit spontaneously and failure to respond to other methods of therapy. Of 12 patients studied, 7 exhibited excellent response, 3 moderate response, and 2 no response to the dietary regimen. Two patients, who responded initially, were studied further. Upon resumption of a normal diet, their disease exacerbated. Reinstitution of the study diet again resulted in complete clearing of their psoriasis. Addition of turkey to a normal diet, however, did not prevent re-exacerbation.

These results suggest that turkey meat may lack a substance potentially harmful to patients with psoriasis.

You can preview the PDF which must be bought (might be found elsewhere). Only the first page is legible, the rest is all blurry, for me anyway

Advertisement