Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Meat Alternatives

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

If the idea of meat alternatives disgusts you, no need to comment. I know it isn't to everyone's taste.

Would it be possible for you to leave it up to others to decide for themselves if they want to comment or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

cozmik wrote: »
    Would it be possible for you to leave it up to others to decide for themselves if they want to comment or not?

Isn't that exactly what Sweet-Rasmus did?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She means no arguments about whether or not you approve of fake meat in this thread. It is not what this thread is for. Simple. Anybody can comment, anything contrary to the topic of the thread is penalised as normal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anyway, my favourite are frys fillets, quorn swedish style balls and best of all organic seitan steaks, they are fantastic.

..quorn swedish style balls .
    I had those last night, cooked in a jar of Italian tomatos and proper organic pasta. (both bought in Country Choice in Nenagh btw http://www.countrychoice.ie/index.php)

I recently tried quorn "beef" pasties from our local Tesco and they were really nice and really popular. It's 20 years since I would have eaten meat but they reminded me of steak & kidney pie.

• Advertisement

I bought a load of fake meats in Asda.
    They are clogging up my frezzer.
    Meat made my stomach turn. I'm afraid they will remind me of that feeling.

How meat like is the mince and the quorn?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How meat like is the mince and the quorn?

That beef quorn is very meat like - moreso than say Tesco veggie burgers. "Normal" quorn is quite bland with a chicken or pork texture - obviously it's been quite a while since I expierienced either!

Is there an Asda near Newry?

I shop in Enniskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

My favorites (to name but a few):

Quorn crispy fillets
    RealEat vegemince
    Couldron lincolshire sausages
    Redwood lincolshire sausages
    Quorn cumberland sausages
    Quorn bacon
    Linda McCartney ¼ pounders
    Quorn dippers & nuggets
    Fry's 'poloney' (the roll thing)
    RealEat veggie roll (with the stuffing in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Anyway, my favourite are frys fillets, quorn swedish style balls and best of all organic seitan steaks, they are fantastic.

I'm not convinced by those swedish burger balls, yet. I'll have to give em the sandwich test by combining with bread roll/pasta sauce/cheese.

Quorn bacon is doing it for me at the moment.
    Quorn mince/pieces are staples as well, but not too sure about the beef style pieces.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced by those swedish burger balls, yet. I'll have to give em the sandwich test by combining with bread roll/pasta sauce/cheese.

Quorn mince/pieces are staples as well, but not too sure about the beef style pieces.

if you like quorn bacon you would like the other ones a lot, much better in my opinion. I wouldn't try seitan steaks moonbaby if you didn't like meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Was so excited when i came across them, but they taste like rancheroes or something. Really fake, I just don't like them.

Quorn sausages are nicer than "real" sausages, my OH prefers them too. And the mince is great, very hard to tell the difference. And the "chicken" dippers are so handy too.

Oh I forgot linda mccartney sausage rolls, way nicer than real ones.

Was so excited when i came across them, but they taste like rancheroes or something. Really fake, I just don't like them.
    Agreed - they're ok in a butty but that's all. The Real-Eat or vegi-deli rashers are much MUCH nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Off topic posts deleted.

There is nothing to stop you commenting cosmik 'I don't really like any', what you are not allowed do is start a debate on imitation meat. Make a thread for that if you feel so inclined.

Off topic posts deleted.

Excuse me! You have an off topic comment here.

If the idea of meat alternatives disgusts you, no need to comment. I know it isn't to everyone's taste.

So why not delete that aswell, sweet-rasmus?

There is nothing to stop you commenting cosmik

Nothing except for the fact that you keep deleteing my posts! lol

Excuse me! You have an off topic comment here.

So why not delete that aswell, sweet-rasmus?

THey are moderating messages, not off topic messages.

We are deleting your posts because they are all along the lines of 'how dare you tell me the rules of the thread and that I can not do something'.

We are deleting your posts because they are all along the lines of 'how dare you tell me the rules of the thread and that I can not do something'.

That's about it in a nutshell LOL

So tell me who the hell do you think you are to impose your own rules on a thread?

• Advertisement

The moderators of the forum, we have specified the rules of this forum in the first place. Also any user can make a thread and specify rules within reason. It happens all over boards such as threads which specify pictures only and any chat will get a ban. If you have any issules take them up via PM. Other off topic posts will result in a ban.

Other off topic posts will result in a ban.

Man, why are you veggies so hostile? Tara, please don't threaten me like that. That hurts. Seriously... like on the inside & stuff. :rolleyes:

Banned for a week. Thread continue. :)

Ummm... I like veggie meat alternatives...

Do you like Hufu?

Not sure. I like tofu though ;) deep fried...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Tar - that is a disgusting mention! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Hi there - just wondering where you all buy you meat alternatives? I shop in tesco when I am home but even the big ones have a limited range. I like their hot dog sausages, but other than that and burgers not much choice.
    Is it me or is the selection getting worse? I used to be able toget Linda McCartneys sausage rolls, deep filled county pies, quorn and mushroom pies, cottage pie, and loads of other things 10 years ago, and now I can get less.
    Where are you all getting your stuff? I'm home to Ireland before xmas and would like to stock up on a few 'meat' type things as my OH is a meat eater. I make my equivalent of Lindas saussie rolls by getting the sausages, and then rolling them in ready made puff pastry - easy enough and handy to have in the freezer for an emergency saussie roll and beans dinner! lol
    On the plus side, by not having much choice meat substitute wise, I eat a lot less processed crap than I used to! but sometimes the comfort of processed crap is too nice and enjoyale to avoid! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

oh and if any one knows where you can get sliced ham alternatives, tell me now!

I used to live in the UK and there was 2 brands 'Deli-ham' and 'Not Ham'! They were handy to throw between two bits of bread for a quick sambo. my OH is muslim and has said he always wondered what ham tasted like, so if I could find some 'NOT ham' (lol) he could try it and know! when I was in college in UK, all my muslim mats bought 'not ham' - they loved it! lol

Advertisement