Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT upgrades their LLU2 packages, "up to" 3mb becomes 6 mb, 8 mb becomes 24 mb

Options
  • 30-07-2008 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

Just to let you know that from today, BT has decided to change their current LLU2 packages, a brief description:

Customers on option 1 remain as such, no changes
    Option 2 speeds increase to up to 6 mb and usage limit increased to 30 gb
    Option 3 speeds increase to up to 24 mb and unlimited cap (fair usage policy applies)

Here you have the official communique

NEWS RELEASE DC08-276

BT LAUNCHES NEXT GENERATION BROADBAND IN IRELAND

- BT introduces full speed ADSL2+ broadband with speeds of up to 24Mb and unlimited usage

Dublin, Wednesday 30th July 2008: BT today announced that it will immediately switch on the full capability of its own next generation network in a radical move that could bring broadband speeds of up to 24Mb to consumers and businesses in Ireland.
    The up to 24Mb service, which will be available from telephone exchanges serving close to 330,000 homes and businesses, costs as little as €42.50 (incl VAT) per month for consumers or €40 (ex VAT) for businesses. These prices contrast starkly with eircom’s up to 12Mb broadband service for €169 (ex VAT) per month.
    Following on from a successful launch in January of up to 8Mb broadband in selected areas in Dublin, Kildare and Limerick, today’s announcement will see BT investing in additional exchange areas by the end of September 2008. For no additional cost, all customers currently on up to 8Mb broadband will be upgraded to the new service.
    Emer Kennedy, Director of BT’s Consumer Division said, “Our investment in a next generation network in Ireland enables us to radically shake up the market by trebling broadband speeds without increasing prices. While actual speeds achieved will be impacted by individual line conditions, by making the maximum attainable speed (24Mb) available on our network, we are ensuring that BT customers have access to the fastest possible DSL broadband service available from any operator in Ireland today.”
    Liam O'Brien, Managing Director BT Business, added, "Over the past number of years BT has launched a range of innovative services for businesses including converged voice/data solutions, managed IT services and hosting & data backup and the development of a high bandwidth broadband infrastructure will enable us to continue to drive the market. The availability of full speed ADSL2+ broadband is complementary to the existing high-bandwidth services that we currently offer to the corporate market, where we frequently deliver speeds of 1 Gigabit and greater."

BT’s new service will be available immediately in the following exchanges: Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Dublin North Main, Terenure, Merrion, Crown Alley, Beggars Bush, Swords, Clondalkin, Summerhill, Blanchardstown, Naas, Dooradoyle, Navan and Kilkenny City.

By the end of September 2008 the new broadband service will be available in Douglas, Ballincollig (Cork) and Whitehall, Belcamp, and Foxrock (Dublin) and Greystones (Wicklow).

The company is also introducing unlimited usage for this new service, subject to fair usage.
    New customers will also get a free connection and free modem.
    For more details on BT’s new broadband service and pricing please visit www.btireland.ie or call 1800 923 927.

For more information, visit www.bt.com/aboutbt

There is more on the communique but no need to post it here. You should see it soon on the media.

Akaik only a small amount of customers will be able to enjoy the full 24 mb as you will need to be less than ~1.1 km away from the exchange, but people on their current 8 mb package should have no problem in getting speeds close to 12-15 mb.

The upgrades should have taken place early today for most customers, customer's are subject to a prequalify test, if your line doesnt prequalify for higher speeds then your line will remain as it is, untouched.

There will be a small delay on the Swords Exchange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Bugger once again my exchange is left out :-( So for those who can't get the service they are expected to stay on 3mb and pay the same price as someone who is getting up to 24mb? I hope they upgrade their customer service to deal with the complaints....I'd even hazzard a guess that it is against consumer laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Does this mean that now I got upgraded to 8mb, I will once again get a free upgrade to whatever my line can hanle to a max of 24mb ?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Vectra,
    If your on a BT LLU exchange and currently on the 8Mb package then yes.

OT but,so is this the limit for BT(or any other DSL provider) then. If they eventually upgraded all exchanges to ADSL2 are DSL users 'limited' to 24Mb downstream?

What next step can they take to increase speeds?

JackieChan wrote: »
    Vectra,
    If your on a BT LLU exchange and currently on the 8Mb package then yes.

Not sure what i am on.
    I live in Fermoy, Co.Cork but think I am on the Glanmire exchange ?
    Will I need to buy a new Router/Modem ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

JackieChan wrote: »
    What next step can they take to increase speeds?
    VDSL. VDSL2.

Bohrio, do you have any idea when the Malahide exchange will have LLU equipment installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need very close to exchange, very good line for 24Mbps :) The Elite 5%?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

has the contention ratio been reduced?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

VDSL/VDSL2 if it ever happens in Ireland will only happen in parts of Dublin city or maybe some other large towns/cities. I see that most vdsl areas in the world are in the biggest of cities even in the most developed countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

But could VDSL/VDSL2 ever be installed in all of eircoms exchanges over the next 2 to 3 years to give everyone a better chance of getting faster speeds or am I just dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Interesting, this is in no doubt to compete with UPC. Smart really are looking uncompetitive in the residential sector now, it'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Knew this was coming, a little surprised they didn't do sooner. BT wouldn't have went to the trouble of unbundling exchanges if they weren't going to provide something on them that Eircom wasn't. When BT implemented their 8mbit on LLU exchanges it was well before Eircom even announced their speed upgrades, and going above 8mbit was obviously going to happen when the Eircom upgrades finally went ahead to make sure they were still ahead of Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Gonzo wrote: »
    But could VDSL/VDSL2 ever be installed in all of eircoms exchanges over the next 2 to 3 years to give everyone a better chance of getting faster speeds or am I just dreaming?
    No point really. After about a mile, speeds are on par with ADSL2+. Great if you are near to the exchange. Feck all use to anyone else :o

jmccrohan wrote: »
    No point really. After about a mile, speeds are on par with ADSL2+. Great if you are near to the exchange. Feck all use to anyone else :o

Is VDSL not done with fibre to the cabinet meaning most people are within that mile?

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Is VDSL not done with fibre to the cabinet meaning most people are within that mile?
    Both right :P
    wikipedia wrote:
    VDSL2 (Very High Speed Digital Subscriber Line 2) is an access technology that exploits the existing infrastructure of copper wires that were originally deployed for POTS services. It can be deployed from central offices, from fibre-fed cabinets located near the customer premises, or within buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Interesting, this is in no doubt to compete with UPC. Smart really are looking uncompetitive in the residential sector now, it'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

Smart are in a pretty strange position now, even if they up their speeds to a very possible 24mbit they will still only be on par with BT's speeds. 24mbit is the limit of adsl2+ so I can only imagine that this will probably start forcing the like of smart to start pushing towards VDSL quite soon.

But is there not still the difference of contention between Smart and BT, last i heard BT were still contended at around 24:1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Rorser wrote: »
    But is there not still the difference of contention between Smart and BT, last i heard BT were still contended at around 24:1?

Plus BT are an absolutely horrid company to deal with. Regardless of speed, I'd never have anything to do with BT again.

jor el wrote: »
    Plus BT are an absolutely horrid company to deal with. Regardless of speed, I'd never have anything to do with BT again.

I have been with BT since 2000 in the time of No Limits" package.
    I was one of the culprits that abused the "Fair usage Policy" but spoke to them on the phone after being notified that i was about to lose me package.I was offered a different package which i accepted as it was far better than the Eircon costing. As it happened I started sneaking a little bit here and a little bit there over and above what I should have. They never bothered me about it so it was back to businness as usual and abuse it.. Never a problem with them. Took the 3mb BB package from them when it was offered.. Still no problem with them.. I am staying with them anyway :cool:

Ìf everyone around you is on a line which is 10-24mb will it not be beaten back badly by contention?

I checked the site and i cant see the new packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Gonzo wrote: »

from that wiki link...
    In Republic of Ireland, eircom announced their plan to start providing VDSL2 within the year 2007. However there is not yet any firm date for any deployment as of November 2007.

anyone have an update on this? absolutly nothing about VDSL on eircom.net/.ie

EDIT: found this on eircom wholesale, not very useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

EDIT: found this on eircom wholesale, not very useful

Looks like they stopped updating that site late 2006/v.early 2007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does this mean a whole new price structure for all their BB packages especially for the likes of us that can't get speeds of over 3MB.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Does this mean a whole new price structure for all their BB packages especially for the likes of us that can't get speeds of over 3MB.

I'd doubt it. I think if you can get the higher speeds you're one of the lucky ones. Complain and see if that gets you somewhere? :)

finally found out contention is currently 24:1 for the new BT service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not all that revolutionary -

UPC Cable
    Smart
    and Magnet all offer similar speeds.

Smart's service is CONTENTION FREE too. It's great.

Also, remember that most phone lines (anywhere, not just in Ireland) can't support maxed out 24mbit/s ADSL2+ Typically lines tend to reach capacity at about 16mbit/s. I've had this experience with other ADSL2+ providers in Ireland and also in the UK.

24mbit/s is theoretical, if you live in the telephone exchange!

Honestly though, BT are really not worth the hassle !
    If Smart or Magnet or UPC are available, I'd go with them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've a feeling this was brought up in the massive eircom thread here, but it's over 100 pages so didn't even try to find it :P, but are eircom using adsl2 or adsl2+ ?

The reason I ask, is that their max package they're pushing is 12mb for business customers, which seems to be the max for adsl2, whereas adsl2+ an go up to 24mb. Am I right in thinking that BT are pushing adsl2+ yet eircom have only done upgrades to support adsl2?

I suspect that eircom have done a software update on their existing DSL equipment, not installed new gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

So if your fortunate enough to be on basic dsl in ballygobackwards - where its probably not all that profitable for them - so no incentive to upgrade right now, any predictions on how long it will take for such smaller exchanges to be upgraded?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom have upgraded about 50 exchanges to adsl2+

the other 500 are adsl only .

Then again BT have only upgraded about 20 or their 40 -50 exchanges beyond ADSL .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

vectra wrote: »
    Not sure what i am on.
    I live in Fermoy, Co.Cork but think I am on the Glanmire exchange ?
    Will I need to buy a new Router/Modem ?

No, aren't you on the 7.6mb package? This is not part of BT's LLU rollout, you are gettting a resold Eircom product and unless your exchange goes adsl2+ you will be on plain old adsl for the forseeable future..
    There is some confusion around the place in distinguishing bteween bt's own 8mb(on select exchanges) and the 7.6mb package it also offers as part of Eircom's speed upgrades- see other thread.

• Advertisement

All I would say is BT are very good at PR and marketing.
    However, when it comes to service ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement