Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi driver

Options
  • 26-07-2008 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

This really annoyed me tonight-
    after a night out in Dublin,i hailed a taxi on Camden St to take me to D'Olier St(not far,i know, but i wanted to get to my Nitelink and don't like walking around town on my own late at night!) I got into the first one that pulled up and asked the driver to take me to D'Olier St,he looked blankly at me so i repeated slowly and clearly,still confused so i said "Next to Westmoreland St." and he seemed happy enough and off we went.
    We're on George's St and he asks again where D'Olier St is and I(getting annoyed at this point)say "Please just head towards College Green and we'll go from there?" so he hangs a right going towards Wicklow St!!!I am in disbelief at this stage and get him to stop at the corner and pay him the fare so far, and on getting out i politely tell him that perhaps he should learn his dublin city geography a bit better.I reluctantly walked down via Grafton St.
    Is there not some sort of test that drivers must do?I expect a driver to at least know the main streets of the city they are working in, I wouldn't mind if it was some obscure side street!
    your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

You should probably read this thread that was in after hours about it. There's a good bit of info there.

http://wwe.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336891&highlight=taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

after a night out in Dublin,i hailed a taxi on Camden St to take me to D'Olier St(not far,i know, but i wanted to get to my Nitelink and don't like walking around town on my own late at night!) I got into the first one that pulled up and asked the driver to take me to D'Olier St,he looked blankly at me so i repeated slowly and clearly,still confused so i said "Next to Westmoreland St." and he seemed happy enough and off we went.
    We're on George's St and he asks again where D'Olier St is and I(getting annoyed at this point)say "Please just head towards College Green and we'll go from there?" so he hangs a right going towards Wicklow St!!!I am in disbelief at this stage and get him to stop at the corner and pay him the fare so far, and on getting out i politely tell him that perhaps he should learn his dublin city geography a bit better.I reluctantly walked down via Grafton St.
    Is there not some sort of test that drivers must do?I expect a driver to at least know the main streets of the city they are working in, I wouldn't mind if it was some obscure side street!
    your thoughts?
    You should have refused to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

axer wrote: »
    You should have refused to pay.

Not always the best option.

Once had trouble getting a taxi home from town to Skerries, the taxi was saying it's a fixed rate of 60 euro, he even pretended to call the base and check the price, I told him repeatedly that since it's on the county it's on the meter.
    Eventually as we got close to Pearse St Garda Station, I said "ok, I might be wrong, tell you what stop at the station we'll ask the police", he pulled in and threw me out of the cab. I got his plate number as I was getting out of the car and was going to report him, decided not to in the end as I was a bit pissed and couldn't be sure I got the right number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Gillo wrote: »
    Not always the best option.

Once had trouble getting a taxi home from town to Skerries, the taxi was saying it's a fixed rate of 60 euro, he even pretended to call the base and check the price, I told him repeatedly that since it's on the county it's on the meter.
    Eventually as we got close to Pearse St Garda Station, I said "ok, I might be wrong, tell you what stop at the station we'll ask the police", he pulled in and threw me out of the cab. I got his plate number as I was getting out of the car and was going to report him, decided not to in the end as I was a bit pissed and couldn't be sure I got the right number.
    How much should the trip have been approximately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Have things changed or didn't taxi drivers need to complete a PSV test that challenges their knowledge of the loal areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

A taxi driver told me a few months back that the Irish natives have to get a higher score on that test than non locals, which if that is correct, makes no sense at all IMHO. I do think taxi drivers are getting worse though (no offence to any taxi drivers here), but I have had a taxi driver tell me one place I needed to go to was only 2 mins walk away (when in fact was 15). The only reason for getting a taxi was due to DART problems I was late for work, so wanted to ensure I got in on time. Have had taxi drivers pretend not to know where the road I live on is, when coming from the airport (on two separate occasions), and the cost then being double what it should have been. The joys of not driving is that I know the main road to turn off, but do not know how to get there from there, so am disadvantaged that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

No excuse for that taxi driver, he should have had a GPS, most Taxi's carry them these day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

your thoughts?

Seriously, if a taxi driver in Dublin did't know where D'Olier street was, I would end the conversation immediately. That's just inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

to be honest i thought he just hadn't heard me the first 2 times he asked, and i was just so reluctant to walk down that i was willing to direct him, it was when i realised that he was going OPPOSITE my directions that i got pissed off. he didn't even apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

to be honest i thought he just hadn't heard me the first 2 times he asked, and i was just so reluctant to walk down that i was willing to direct him, it was when i realised that he was going OPPOSITE my directions that i got pissed off. he didn't even apologise!

Do you know how sick n tired we taxi drivers get from hearing this, it must now rank up along side with the classic " Are y'busy tonight mister taxi driver"

people HAVE got to start copping on, if the taxi driver you get doesn't genuinely have a clue where somewhere is ( Stories of not knowing where Stillorgan is, spring to mind!) then in all probability the taxi or driver or both are bogey, which then means that you aren't covered by insurance in the event of an accident.

If any Garda are reading this will they please read up and enforce the basic SPSV laws.

You must be licensed for the area that you are plying for hire in. i.e Check the drivers ID Card ( which should be displayed on the dash with the licensed area visible to you on the outside ) If you are not then you would probably be not covered by insurance.

The drivers should have on them the small credit card sized ID Card that matches up with the dashboard ID, the photos are the same so check them.

The driver should have his driving license with them, this applies to all road users driving vehicles.

The driving license, SPSV license and TC2 form should ALL be in the same name and address, though there is no legal requirement to carry the TC2, but would be useful in positive identification of any drivers you are suspicious of.

If a taxi driver is requested to produce insurance, make sure that the certificate covers "hire for reward" it has to be printed on the cover note.

When a taxi goes through a roadside tax check then do us all a favour and give the taxi a basic check of meter, printer, ID card, Yellow Daisies on front and Rear Windows in date and not evidently tampered with.

Only with the Garda and public being aware will we ever rid the streets of the majority of these so called taxi drivers...

End of rant, and whatever your God may he safely deliver you from bogey taxies and drivers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just how widespread are these bogey taxi drivers? I didn't realise it was a problem here!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Just how widespread are these bogey taxi drivers? I didn't realise it was a problem here!

Well seeing as the Taxi Regulators Office isn't releasing details of any success in prosecuting taxi drivers it's difficult to quantify, but I will say that when the Garda or TRs office are out and about on Dawson St/Stephen's Green and Foster Place the number of taxies in the area shows a steep decline, so read into that what you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Whenever i go abroad i Bring my sat nav unit with me so the driver doesn't get lost :)

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Well seeing as the Taxi Regulators Office isn't releasing details of any success in prosecuting taxi drivers it's difficult to quantify, but I will say that when the Garda or TRs office are out and about on Dawson St/Stephen's Green and Foster Place the number of taxies in the area shows a steep decline, so read into that what you want...

Hrmmmm. Cheers for that. I'll be a lot more cautious getting a taxi from a rank in future.

How would you suggest someone handles the situation if they suspect the taxi isn't legit? I'd imagine the driver would get aggressive if he was quizzed about the legitimacy of his taxi plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OP - Was the taxi driver a local lad or from somewhere further afield?

Hrmmmm. Cheers for that. I'll be a lot more cautious getting a taxi from a rank in future.

How would you suggest someone handles the situation if they suspect the taxi isn't legit? I'd imagine the driver would get aggressive if he was quizzed about the legitimacy of his taxi plate.

64 million dollar question...

I suppose it depends on when you start to suspect the taxi/taxi driver may not be legit, if it's before or as you get in then simply walk away/ getout and walk away and use the next taxi, if you've already commenced the journey and your suspicions are aroused then get them to stop ( pretence of an ATM is a good one ) near to a Garda, call them over and take it from there.

One thing to remember though is if a taxi driver can't or won't provide a printed receipt then they are more than likely bogey, so you could always state as you get in " I need a printed receipt for the accounts department, is that a problem? " if he says "I'll write you one" then leave him for the next taxi.

Which brings up the next hurdle, you got your taxi, you got home, you feel you were ripped off, whatever you do, do not refuse to pay, pay in full ( as long as you get a receipt and preferably the drivers id number ) then complain to the Taxi Regulator and FOLLOW it through, the more chancers and shysters removed from the roads the better for the customer and the remaining honest taximen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I was once offered a receipt when i was halfway out of the car, turned around and said actually yes thank you and then he said he couldn't give me one? Weird! The journey wasn't anymore than it should have been though.

Got a taxi from vincents hospital to templeogue recently and instead of going clonskeagh-milltown way or the donnybrook ranelagh way the driver went straight down to baggot st, along the canal up rathmines into terenure and to the kcr. When i noticed i said i've taken this journey many times and i know exactly how much it should cost (not more than 10euro as it was about midnight no traffic) so i won't be paying you any extra for going the wrong way. At first taxi driver came accross all broken english and i'm sorry but when i wouldn't cave and pay the 24 euro he went bolistic and became very very aggressive. I just calmly said we'll call the gardai then will we and if they say i should pay then i'll pay...after more shouting that was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Do you know how sick n tired we taxi drivers get from hearing this, it must now rank up along side with the classic " Are y'busy tonight mister taxi driver"

people HAVE got to start copping on, if the taxi driver you get doesn't genuinely have a clue where somewhere is ( Stories of not knowing where Stillorgan is, spring to mind!) then in all probability the taxi or driver or both are bogey, which then means that you aren't covered by insurance in the event of an accident.

If any Garda are reading this will they please read up and enforce the basic SPSV laws.

You must be licensed for the area that you are plying for hire in. i.e Check the drivers ID Card ( which should be displayed on the dash with the licensed area visible to you on the outside ) If you are not then you would probably be not covered by insurance.

The drivers should have on them the small credit card sized ID Card that matches up with the dashboard ID, the photos are the same so check them.

The driver should have his driving license with them, this applies to all road users driving vehicles.

The driving license, SPSV license and TC2 form should ALL be in the same name and address, though there is no legal requirement to carry the TC2, but would be useful in positive identification of any drivers you are suspicious of.

If a taxi driver is requested to produce insurance, make sure that the certificate covers "hire for reward" it has to be printed on the cover note.

When a taxi goes through a roadside tax check then do us all a favour and give the taxi a basic check of meter, printer, ID card, Yellow Daisies on front and Rear Windows in date and not evidently tampered with.

Only with the Garda and public being aware will we ever rid the streets of the majority of these so called taxi drivers...

End of rant, and whatever your God may he safely deliver you from bogey taxies and drivers...
    i would like to concur with all that the guy [spook] is saying i am a taxi driver and none of what he has posted is urban myth [as seems to happen with some taxi stories] i too hear the stories from passengers on a nightly basis of the rip off,getting lost ,boogies,etc .
    the industry is in open season for every slime bag ,fruadster, to use as it likes .
    heres an example
    how would you feel after working and paying your fair share of taxes and then handing over your fare to a guy who is claiming the social and driving a boogie taxi at night .
    ITS HIGH TIME FOR A WIDE SPREAD CLEAN UP AND CLEAR OUT OF THESE SO CALLED TAXIS

Maybe the regulator should have people investigating taxi's, a sort of 'mystery shopper' operation.

LolaDub wrote: »
    I was once offered a receipt when i was halfway out of the car, turned around and said actually yes thank you and then he said he couldn't give me one? Weird! The journey wasn't anymore than it should have been though.

Got a taxi from vincents hospital to templeogue recently and instead of going clonskeagh-milltown way or the donnybrook ranelagh way the driver went straight down to baggot st, along the canal up rathmines into terenure and to the kcr. When i noticed i said i've taken this journey many times and i know exactly how much it should cost (not more than 10euro as it was about midnight no traffic) so i won't be paying you any extra for going the wrong way. At first taxi driver came accross all broken english and i'm sorry but when i wouldn't cave and pay the 24 euro he went bolistic and became very very aggressive. I just calmly said we'll call the gardai then will we and if they say i should pay then i'll pay...after more shouting that was the end of it.
    a taxi has to be able to issue you a printed reciept [its the law ] it is printed off automatic by the meter .so dont take any excuses of no reciept roll or my printers broken .[the taxi should,nt be on the road if thats the case ]
    as to going around the world to a destination
    what i usually ask a passenger is which is the quickest way that they go themselves .[sometimes i know that the route id take is quicker but if the passenger wants a certain way then so be it ] too many taxis are relying on a sat nav to find their way around and this has to stop with the introduction of a proper knowledge test NOW and not four years time as the taxi regulator has plans for .
    but in what the op posted about the driver not knowing a major street in the city is all too common :mad:

• Advertisement

Maybe the regulator should have people investigating taxi's, a sort of 'mystery shopper' operation.
    there are nine [enforcers ]for the whole of the 25 thou and growing taxis in ireland and this week you will see them down in galway for the race meeting [because there was a thing a few years back on rip offs etc] so the boogies will have a free run in the other parts this week .i am driving a taxi nearly nine years [mostly night ] and have never meet one or have been asked to produce my psv id card by a guard at a check point
    its a joke and its you the travling public who are the ones suffering after a good night out and it to end with a rip off taxi home or a guy who should,nt be a taxi driver

wow,i never realised that there's such a problem with boogie taxis-having said that, i'm pretty sure that the guy had all his credentials-i didn't get a decent enough look at his ID as i was on the phone for about 2 mins of the 5min journey and then i was distracted by giving him directions!but i will take much more notice of the stuff pointed out!
    In answer to one posters question,he wasn't irish,but to my mind that's no excuse for not knowing basic dublin city geography!

axer wrote: »
    How much should the trip have been approximately?
    It was about four years, so you're talking roughly 40 euro.

In fairness I've also got a lot of really sound guys over the years it's only a small amount who are prats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

any other girls have problems taking taxis alone? i have had about 5 drivers over the years letting me know they didn't have to take cash-reported them all but 1 when i was too young to know to complain and heard nothing from any

ChickCool wrote: »
    any other girls have problems taking taxis alone? i have had about 5 drivers over the years letting me know they didn't have to take cash-reported them all but 1 when i was too young to know to complain and heard nothing from any

what do you mean they didn't take cash?what exactly did he want??!

What sort of route were you taking chickcool?

One driver explained to me ears back that especially at weekends most taxi's prefer to take short routes it's worth more money to them, they way he put it was by the time he drops me hme and gets back into town (lived in Skerries at the time) he'd have made more money doing short run's back and forth the Rathmines and the likes; that's why they hated going long distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

what do you mean they didn't take cash?what exactly did he want??!

I'm presuming sexual favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

as to going around the world to a destination
    what i usually ask a passenger is which is the quickest way that they go themselves .[sometimes i know that the route id take is quicker but if the passenger wants a certain way then so be it ]

I drive a lot, and know my way arround Dublin. One night, I got a taxi home. I told the driver where I wanted to go to, and the easiest way to get there - the driver said to me - who is driving, you or me - I thought it was quite rude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just answer with "who's paying, you or me?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I was told by a very nice taxi man they have to go your way even if its longer.As your the one paying for the service.

Advertisement