Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Nocturnus : "The Grotesque"

Options
  • 25-07-2008 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Right, some of you will have seen my "Challenge Me" thread, where i was asking for ideas to work on from a photography point of view.

Well, things spiraled out of control and we decided to launch a group project under the working title of "The Grotesque".

Basically the rough project outline will be a story drafted by myself, shot in comic book form with camera's and then developed into an e-comic with some handy photoshoppery and other sekrit programs! It will be great fun.

The key to the whole storyline is in place, in that a boardsie has agreed to play the main character "The Innocent".

The rough basis for the outline ( big props to SDooM here for coming up with the rough idea ) is that we have a normal and very nice human who gets trapped in a world populated by the manifestations of mankinds darker side.

"The Innocent" is just a victim, a conduit through which the manifestations can travel through and effect the real world. So what we need from you people are to come up with these characters. Develop them, give them a history of action within the real world and give them a face. Then, for the sake of the photoshoots, act them out.

If you want to get involved the darker side of humanity is fair game, whatever one person has decided to do to another you can make your own, give it a face,a name, a reason for what it does. Take a single act and run with it, or have your character be the cause of a war the cost millions of lives. It's all up to you.

As you guys feed the info through on the characters myself and Doom will hash out the story, writing it as the players come to us.

Personally i think if we can pull this off then we can do something a bit special. I don't think that many projects like this have come about. So, if you want to get involved then have a think about it and let us know.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im taking lust by the way people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sounds like an excellent project, cheers to you and Doom for putting so mech effort into it, between your photo skills and Dooms drawing talents I'm sure it will be an amazing piece of work.

I'd be more than willing to get involved, anything I can do to help let me know. I have a couple of vague ideas for characters and personifications of darker human traits that I could write up if you like, not sure if that's the kind of thing you are looking for, if it isn't it's cool and I'd still like to help out in some way if I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

orestes wrote: »
    I'd be more than willing to get involved, anything I can do to help let me know. I have a couple of vague ideas for characters and personifications of darker human traits that I could write up if you like, not sure if that's the kind of thing you are looking for, if it isn't it's cool and I'd still like to help out in some way if I can

Thats exactly the type of thing we are looking for. Think of every awesome comic book you ever saw, ever movie that was a total feast for character dept. Thats what we are looking for, those strong raw characters that change something from a sequence of events to a well told story that people want to follow.

I guess myself and Doom will be acting as the Editors on this one....everything people want to give to us would be hugely appreciated...even if you have no intention of playing the role you can still be a writer. Or draw concept art, or over storyline ideas.

I have a pretty solid idea of where i want this to go, but that will change as peoples suggestions impact it.

It will be a very interesting process i think.

To give you all an idea of how Im intending to do it, I am looking at playing lust.

To me lust is going to represent not the simple act of physical lust (although that will probably be a part of it)

My idea is that my character would have worked as something nasty in the early days of exploration as something nasty like a slave trader. He lusted after wealth and power which is why he has come to be this abominable spirit.

He is often consumed by a blood lust and his desire is very physical- he wants to consume the flesh of those he covets.

He goes into a blood red destrucgtive rage when ever he is not in posession of what he desires.

Costume wise I imagine something quite simple. White blood spattered shirt on black trousers, very simple. Was thinking some kind of old, heavy apron. Maybe some form of sharp weapon.

This is all mad theorising but I'll have it Draganised to fit.

Thanks for thinking of me dragan :)

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    This is all mad theorising but I'll have it Draganised to fit.

I am thinking of making your guy the main "drive" in the story and the main bad guy. At the end of the day desire is the drive behind everything and it will be the reason behind the Innocent does what she does and why the other characters try and manipulate her. Behind it all will be your character.

I like the idea of working him into the background in others shots that only becomes clear upon his main introduction to the story.

The Puppet Master if you will.
    Thanks for thinking of me dragan :)

Only an idiot doesn't use available talent. If i want to make waves in the world of messed up story telling i'll be needing your artistic hand and insight matey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

so will this kinda be like an online comic?
    excapt we can submit ideas for it?

i think im not getting it really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Draganised

:D

Thats pretty much it exactly. You can submit ideas, and if you wish, star in it.:pac:

you get to play a character. I guess you submit an idea for the character, and we'll work him into the plot. We might change it if necessary, to a certain degree. That right Dragan?
    Dragan wrote: »
    I am thinking of making your guy the main "drive" in the story and the main bad guy. At the end of the day desire is the drive behind everything and it will be the reason behind the Innocent does what she does and why the other characters try and manipulate her. Behind it all will be your character.

I like the idea of working him into the background in others shots that only becomes clear upon his main introduction to the story.

The Puppet Master if you will.

Only an idiot doesn't use available talent. If i want to make waves in the world of messed up story telling i'll be needing your artistic hand and insight matey.

Cool, thanks :)

I like the idea. I can see this character smiling in the background as unspeakable acts of horror are carried out by others due to his subtle interference.

• Advertisement

you get to play a character. I guess you submit an idea for the character, and we'll work him into the plot. We might change it if necessary, to a certain degree. That right Dragan?

Bingo. Hopefully it will just be a case of working the plot around the characters. But yeah, in the spirit of the project being public we should hopefully get a lot of stuff, and not everything will get in i guess.

It all depends on what comes in and what fits!

I might be able to do a few character sketches/ prep work for the photos too.

My times limited right now, between this, the beers, a stag, a wedding, and a business trip to Spain in the next 4 weeks!

I might be able to do a few character sketches/ prep work for the photos too.

My times limited right now, between this, the beers, a stag, a wedding, and a business trip to Spain in the next 4 weeks!

All is good. This will end up being a long project i think. A few weeks for chartacter input, then time spent writing, storyboarding shots, the shoots themselves, photoshopping, sketching as needed ( have an idea or two for just pencil work at points ), editing it all together etc.

It'll take time but it will be worth it i think. And if we don't rush it and just accept that now it means we won't get annoyed and give up in the future.

Dragan wrote: »
    All is good. This will end up being a long project i think. A few weeks for chartacter input, then time spent writing, storyboarding shots, the shoots themselves, photoshopping, sketching as needed ( have an idea or two for just pencil work at points ), editing it all together etc.

It'll take time but it will be worth it i think. And if we don't rush it and just accept that now it means we won't get annoyed and give up in the future.

Cool. Count me in for the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yaarr count me in for this too, it would be rather freaking deadly! even though i have little or no imagination for this.... but whatever!

Stickying this . Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Doom, are ideas to be posted here or can they be PMed to you or Dragan?

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Doom, are ideas to be posted here or can they be PMed to you or Dragan?

Either I guess. I know some people aren't going to be happy airing their ideas on public.

I think it would probably be good to CC Dragan if you're pming me, and vice virsa, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Either I guess. I know some people aren't going to be happy airing their ideas on public.

I think it would probably be good to CC Dragan if you're pming me, and vice virsa, though.

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Brilliant idea. Sounds very interesting. Count me in, I'll get back to yous with ideas soon.

Thanks for the opportunity. Sounds like good fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have a few Idea's for some minor characters (Thats what I envision them to be anyway) Can some characters be "Immortal" *(With an actual way to be trapped though or something along those lines)

To the people who have Pm'ed me so far, Im not ignoring you, I just can pay this topic the attention it deserves until I get home.

I'll update ye around 1- 2 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

*ponders whether to use the Novel version of Nerin i made or a new version of Nerin*
    ooooh maybe a crossover. hmmmm *ponders*

Just to clear things up a bit.

the characters we need as I see it aren't people. They are personifications of the negative aspects fo humanity.

For example, the four horsemen personify the greatest fears of man kind. War, famine, pestilence.

At some point, someone decided death was a human skeleton. Personified him as that.

What we are looking for in the characters is some really negative trait of humanity and a personification of that. Remember we will be playing spirits so you can use your imagination.

For example I am playing Lust. I like the idea of having a literal "blood lust." We could photo shop a red mist around him when he is angered.

So I will be lust, who lives to consume, to own, and control.

I have an idea of a human history for the soul of Lust, but I'd rather discuss it with Dragan in private (it's shag, shag nasty.)

Other ideas that are running round my head which would be good for people to play-

Sadism- the desire to inflict pain and suffering on another- perhaps someone who literally drinks tears and screams...

Jealousy - a creature which covets that which is not his, and perhaps tries to tear down what it cant own.

Lonliness- Here's one for someone who's camera shy... thinking of a spirit with no face, perhaps some kind of scratched effect where the face should be.

Something along the lines of repression- a creature which tries to introduce uniformity and precision to the world, who is disgusted by emotion and individuality.

these are just examples, but Sadism especially I think someone could play.

The concept of the story... I see the innocent as a nexus of reality. This world is constantly in flux around her as the spirit world tries to burst through.

Strange things happen around her and the normal rules of reality are in flux.

I don't think we need to know much about her other than she is truly innocent. She does not deserve what is happening to her.

Perhaps Lust might want her to himself and thus is keeping her alive.

Any ideas or comments? Esp. Dragan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Just to clear things up a bit.

the characters we need as I see it aren't people. They are personifications of the negative aspects fo humanity.

For example, the four horsemen personify the greatest fears of man kind. War, famine, pestilence.

At some point, someone decided death was a human skeleton. Personified him as that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you read Terry Pratchett? :pac:

I have an idea for a character I would like to develop, so just thought I'd throw it out here to see if it is ok with Dragan and Doom.

I'd like to create a character based on the transition between attraction and obsession. For example, the character develops an attraction to "the innocent" an over time it develops into an overwhelming obsession with him/her, to the point where recognition from the subject becomes the main focus and the sheer desperation drives the subject to madness.

To put it in terms that I think Dragan and Doom would appreciate, and to quote Alice Cooper, "I want to hurt you just to hear you screaming my name".

I think the best thing about this character is that they could be maintained as a leitmotif, and could be kept in the background until needed as a main character. After their main introduction they could just be shown as a person in the background every now and again, peeking around corners and watching the innocent in various ways, and getting more and more desperate and bold until they eventually snap.

Just a thought, please feel free to discard mercilessly if it deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

The concept of the story... I see the innocent as a nexus of reality. This world is constantly in flux around her as the spirit world tries to burst through.

Strange things happen around her and the normal rules of reality are in flux.

I don't think we need to know much about her other than she is truly innocent. She does not deserve what is happening to her.

Perhaps Lust might want her to himself and thus is keeping her alive.

Any ideas or comments? Esp. Dragan?
    I like this concept actually, it has serious potential. If I had any criticism of it, I would think it strikes me as something long running, like it would be tough to open and close that idea in just one publication. Not only tough, but unjustified to the potential imo.

A question: When you say Lust is perhaps keeping her alive, do you mean protecting her from the other manifestations?

[pedant]I think personification is giving human traits to inanimate objects. I could be wrong though, to lazy to look it up! :)[/pedant]

Also, how open is the plot scripting? Should I post my idea for public critique?

Mirror wrote: »
    I like this concept actually, it has serious potential. If I had any criticism of it, I would think it strikes me as something long running, like it would be tough to open and close that idea in just one publication. Not only tough, but unjustified to the potential imo.

A question: When you say Lust is perhaps keeping her alive, do you mean protecting her from the other manifestations?

[pedant]I think personification is giving human traits to inanimate objects. I could be wrong though, to lazy to look it up! :)[/pedant]

Also, how open is the plot scripting? Should I post my idea for public critique?

Your plot thingy is good, I haven't talked to Dragan about it. TBH that was further on than anything we'd thought so far, we've only talked in very vague terms. This is all brainstorming.

I'm not sure we want to concreteify it yet. Personally I prefer the idea of evil seeping into this world to the innocent coming to terms with her own in/humanity, but I am a goth like that. :D

Post it up if you like!

Lust could "want" her in different ways.

He could, literally, want her to himself, to whatever twisted purposes fuel him. He could foil the other creatures attempts to claim her himself, and even appear to help her- even though, ultimimately, he wants to consume her for his own.

Alternatively he could be playing everyone. He could be masterminding the innocents interactions with the other creatures, using them in an attempt to corrupt her (or scare her into his protection, where once again he would have her).

Either way he is a nasty git so he doesnt deserve her. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Sure why not, even if it's not used, it might aid the cause in general! Or I might develop it myself someday, I'm quite proud considering I was never very good at this kind of thing in school! :)

This was a PM initially to SDooM and Dragan guys, so if it seems unusually written that's the reason!

I've been pondering this for just a while this morning, trying to come up with characters, but I'm finding it hard with no solid story. Let me just outline something I had an idea for:

Characters thus far:

The Innocent - Female, secretary for some large multi-national, lives alone, think Bridget Jones without the comedy

Lust - As described by SDooM

Plot Outline:

The Innocent is simply going through the motions, same **** different day kind of thing. Perhaps to add a new level to her, perhaps she could be living with absolutely no regard for her own safety(think Marla from Fight Club without the bum/petty thief aspect).

Skip ahead, TI(The Innocent) is at a staff party, Christmas maybe, celebrating the next two weeks off work (this is relevant). She sticks around for a while, awkward attempts to socialise, maybe another near death experience for her that nobody notices. Flash on to TI walking home from the do.

[I can't think of a convincing scenario to transition TI from walking home to being in Lust's world. But this is where that happens]

Brainstorming: From here on in, I don't want to be too specific, this whole idea definitely would need to take input from you guys, hell I probably couldn't complete it myself! But I'm thinking TI is in this new setting, she realises she can't get out, then a small section on the emphasis of this, and that with two weeks off work, nobody in the world is going to notice she is gone. So she legs it about the place, bumping in to our other uglies. Slowly but surely, she starts to realise something. These aren't simply things that go bump in the night. They are manifestations of everything she doesn't have in life. Friends, people who care about her (We have a group of characters known as The Friends, perhaps she has met a few of these singly earlier on. They call out to her, tell he she can't leave, they want to be her friends...), and love(cue our man Lust - while writing this I thought, what if Lust is someone she knows, someone from work maybe that we introduced earlier, a guy that's always coming onto her in work, but she just see's him as a bit of a sleaze).

The above is just me writing on the spot, anything and everything can change.

Anyway, to the climax and point of my story. TI has encountered many "other things" in this place, she's scared and alone. She has one last encounter with Lust. She turns and runs, only to stop dead. Face to face with herself.
    It's dialogue time! This new her explains that she can't leave. That they need her. They are all the things she needs in life. She fight's it off, she doesn't want to accept it. She makes another attempt to run, but is met with no means to escape. She breaks down crying, falls to the ground, while her counterpart and Lust stand nearby, still talking. This dialogue is important, and will need to be carefully written. Through it, suddenly something clicks while they're speaking about how TI needs to embrace these things that she needs. TI rises slowly and approaches them both. Everyone is silent, expectant. TI leans in, and places her lips on Lust. They meet in a kiss.

When she opens her eyes, maybe it's the guy from work she's kissing, maybe she wakes up in bed. Either way, she's free. The place was a prison of sorts, but one she had built for herself. And to escape it, she just needed to accept the things that make us human, give us need to live. I think SDooM played this one into my hands, what better than Lust?

Advertisement