Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In light of an economic downturn, which transport project would you give priority to?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

In light of an economic downturn, which transport project would you give priority to?

Please choose one of the following projects: 132 votes

1) Dublin Rail Interconnector and Dart Extensions
    0% 0 votes
    2) M20 Cork to Limerick, and M18 to Galway (AWC)
    48% 64 votes
    3) Metro North (Stephens Green to Swords)
    13% 18 votes
    4) Dublin Outer Orbital Route (DOOR Motorway)
    23% 31 votes
    5) Metro West (Tallaght to Metro Park (Ballymun))
    3% 4 votes
    6) Eastern By-pass (DPT to M50 at Sandyford)
    0% 1 vote
    7) Luas Line Bx and D (Stephens Green to Liffey Jct)
    0% 1 vote
    8) Cork Ring Road (N22 Northern Ring + N25 Upgrade)
    1% 2 votes
    9) Luas Line F (City Centre to Lucan)
    4% 6 votes
    10) Other (Please post your preference!)
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I'd ditch the link between the 2 Luas lines. In hindsight they should have been linked however the people who live along these lines now have a great service to the city centre. The walk from one to the other is unfortunate however its a lot better than people who don't live on either of these routes have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Putting another rail line in from dublin to rosslare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Please select one option!

My top preference would be the Interconnector!

Regards!

Putting another rail line in from dublin to rosslare.

Well, good luck to you mate! :D:D:D

what2do wrote: »
    I'd ditch the link between the 2 Luas lines. In hindsight they should have been linked however the people who live along these lines now have a great service to the city centre. The walk from one to the other is unfortunate however its a lot better than people who don't live on either of these routes have.

In one way, I'd agree - even if the Metro North was built, massive areas of the city (DCC Area) would be left without any rail link - these would include Finglas, Coolock/Artane, and Kimmage/Crumlin. This is quite plainly not good enough. Why weren't the various interests within property circles, levied a lot more in order to pay for such infrastructure.

However, in another way I'd disagree - I think the concept of connecting the Green with O'Connell St and Liffey Junction would be of major economic and social benefit to the people of Dublin City.

I have to go now...

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

An upgrade of the dunkettle/tunnel Roundabout in Cork would be my priority.. but im a selfish corkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

1 - Interconnector
    2 - Metro North

Not that the projects out west aren't important. Just that these two are so essential its not even funny.

ac1977 wrote: »
    An upgrade of the dunkettle/tunnel Roundabout in Cork would be my priority.. but im a selfish corkman.

...well, that's why I put in some Western/Southern projects mate - I want the results of this poll to be representative of the country, not just Dublin and surrounding counties.

If you wanted to upgrade the Dunkettle Interchange, I would have picked the option concerning the Cork Ring Road Upgrade. This would include the N22 Northern and Western Ring, N25 Bandon Road/Sarsfield junction upgrades, and other required improvements such as an upgrade at Dunkettle and Ballincollig (N25/N22 junction) etc.

Regards!

I'd love if the polls here could facilitate something along the lines of voting with up to 5 options in order of preference (votes weighted accordingly) - if we did have same, this is how I'd vote:

1st Choice: 1) Dublin Rail Interconnector and Dart Extensions (Escalators all the way - no shortcuts)

2nd Choice: 2) M20 Cork to Limerick, and M18 to Galway (AWC)

3rd Choice: 7) Luas Line Bx and D (Stephens Green to Liffey Jct)

4th Choice: 8) Cork Ring Road (N22 Northern Ring (well the Western part anyway) + N25 Upgrade (including Dunkettle!))

5th Choice: 10) Other (Please post your preference! (For me, that would be the N11 Arklow to Rathnew!))

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

New Ross bypass. Although I wouldn't really ever benefit from it myself, there are so many south Wexford commuters who face into 2-mile tailbacks returning from Waterford every evening. It would transform their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The problem with your poll is that people are going to vote for local things. Thats how politics is. Fortunate therefore that most people live in Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd drop the outer orbital motorway and the eastern bypass - but these are basically pie in the sky as it is anyway?

I voted Other - Newlands Cross would have a massive knock on impact on traffc in Tallaght and Clondalkin as well as environmental benefits and shouldn't cost the earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

1. Interurban motorways
    2. Interconnector
    3. GDA rail network & Middleton
    4. Regional Interurban road network
    5. Dublin Metro & Luas

I put metro and luas last because I'm unsure about the motivation behind Metro West (I've no problem with the concept), the cost of Metro north (tunnels, tunnels and more tunnel, and government intetions to really move on it) and the cost/hassle of other luas lines. I kind of think the metro/luas are Ferrari solutions to be implemented after the existing rail network is fixed.

Kind of a fix what we have before we spend the family silver on shiny stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Interconnector, Interconnector, Interconnector!!!!!
    Only show in town when you look at Cost Vs Benefit!!!

Just a shame that the Darts running through it will be operated by a heavily unionised workforce. I'm betting the level of strike action (amongst all unionised workers) will dramatically increase over coming few years!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

this is how I'd vote:

1st Choice: 1) Dublin Rail Interconnector and Dart Extensions (Escalators all the way - no shortcuts)

2nd Choice: 2) M20 Cork to Limerick, and M18 to Galway (AWC)

3rd Choice: 7) Luas Line Bx and D (Stephens Green to Liffey Jct)

1st Choice: Dublin Rail Interconnector and Dart Extensions/Electrifications

2nd Choice: M17 and Galway Outer Bypass

3rd Choice: M18 Ennis - Galway and M20 Cork to Limerick

4th Choice: Metro North to Airport

5th Choice: Cork Ring Road (N22 Northern Ring Road) junctions on SRR and Dunkettle / Glounthane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

IIMII wrote: »
    1. Interurban motorways

Not trying to be smart here, but these are all now under construction, so there's no turning back now. Isn't the poll about projects that haven't yet started?

With 46 votes now cast, there is no surprise in the 2 options which seem the most popular so far:
    • The Interconnector + Dart Extensions (63.04%);
    • Metro North (19.57%).

The big surprise is the extent to which the Interconnector is topping the poll, it has more votes than all other options put together, including even the Metro North which lies a very distant 2nd (though way ahead of the rest). 3rd place is tied (4.35%) between the:
    • DOOR Motorway;
    • Cork Ring Road;
    • "Other" options.

Last place (0.00%) is shared between the:
    • Metro West (quite surprised I must admit!).
    • Eastern By-pass (no surprise!);
    • Luas Line F to Lucan (a little surprised!).

As I stated before, the Interconnector is the one I voted for - that said, I'm still pretty :eek::eek::eek:!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1st Choice: Dublin Rail Interconnector and Dart Extensions/Electrifications

2nd Choice: M17 and Galway Outer Bypass

3rd Choice: M18 Ennis - Galway and M20 Cork to Limerick

4th Choice: Metro North to Airport

5th Choice: Cork Ring Road (N22 Northern Ring Road) junctions on SRR and Dunkettle / Glounthane

This basically, but I'd pop in the N25 New Ross Bypass somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Well, it looks like this is a Dublin dominated board! Personally speaking I'd go ahead with all the Munster projects and the Atlantic Corridor. :)

News this morning is that the NDP is going to be substantially unaffected by cuts in government spending. The government plans to cut spending by one billion in 2009, 300 million of which will be cuts in capital spending with a further 100 million in cuts to the Gateways Innovation Fund Programme.

According to the Irish Times, the 300 million of cuts to capital spending will "effectively [halt] further purchases of land and property to accommodate the Government's decentralisation programme".

In addition, "Some €100 million is to be saved by deferring capital allocations to the Gateways Innovation Fund Programme covering the nine gateways in the spatial strategy."

Transport 21 spending isn't going to be affected by these cuts, at least for 2009.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0711/1215725795915.html

fricatus wrote: »
    these are all now under construction, so there's no turning back now.
    True, but I'd still rate their speedy completion ahead of everything else. I remember walking through Tymon Park as a child when for years there was only a single lane of the M50 built between the Greenhills road and where the M50 used to terminate at the dodder. No traffic on it, a ditch at one end and the Greenhills road esker blocking it at the other.

In that context and I know we are not in meltdown, but I read the poll as everything that isn't completed and what I think is a priority. I still think the Interurbans are more important than anything else even if they are secure

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart here, but these are all now under construction, so there's no turning back now. Isn't the poll about projects that haven't yet started?

You're quite right mate, but IIMII is right in that seeing those inter-urban motorways over the finishing line is more essential than anything else. That said, the poll is on the subject of what the government must do next.

Regards!

IIMII wrote: »
    True, but I'd still rate their speedy completion ahead of everything else. I remember walking through Tymon Park as a child when for years there was only a single lane of the M50 built between the Greenhills road and where the M50 used to terminate at the dodder. No traffic on it, a ditch at one end and the Greenhills road esker blocking it at the other.

In that context and I know we are not in meltdown, but I read the poll as everything that isn't completed and what I think is a priority. I still think the Interurbans are more important than anything else even if they are secure

...but these motorways are under Design and Build contracts. The construction companies involved must get the job done at an agreed price within an agreed timeframe. If any contractor goes over budget, it's hard luck to them. If they fail to finish on time, they are fined according to the length of delay (time of total completion in relation to the deadline). On the other hand, the government has to honour its payment to the contractors, or they'd probably face legal action.

Regards!

True, wasn't really thinking

Suppose I still get excited at the prospect of being able to get about the country on decent roads

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

1. Interconnector
    2. Luas link, should have been done in the first place.

Ditch the M17 and build a basic bypass of Claregalway and Tuam. 6 roundabouts, two bridges and about 30 kms of roads wouldn't be that expensive.

Ditch the M17 and build a basic bypass of Claregalway and Tuam. 6 roundabouts, two bridges and about 30 kms of roads wouldn't be that expensive.

I'd retain the M17 as a longer term (2020 maybe) solution and extend it to Claremorris as a PPP (to where the N60 (Castlebar) intersects). In the shorter term, I'd basically do as you suggested - it would certainly make sense!

Of course, I'd also do the M18 to Ennis and provide a trumpet interchange at Rathmorrisey. Now in order to accommodate the future M17, such a junction could easily be configured, thereby providing for expansion in the style of an M50 scalectrix (figure 8) junction. Regarding the proposed services there, major interchanges are not the place for such facilities. AFAIK, there's a proposed interchange for Athenry (within a couple of miles) along the new N6 - maybe the services could go there!

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the region...

Regards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Id have the N28 up there too. There is a whole multi - billion euro port relocation awaiting this never mind the cork docklands project that will change the face of the city.
    We need to have a something in the country to spur the growth of dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Please select one option!

My top preference would be the Interconnector!

Regards!

Obviously, since it is top of your ´poll´.

How scientific :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Is Metro North really needed? Hasn't a spur somewhere off the DART line been suggested at various times in the past as a way of getting a rail link out to the airport 'on the cheap'. Voted for the interconnector plus DART line extensions myself.

• Advertisement

Metrobest wrote: »
    Obviously, since it is top of your ´poll´.

How scientific :D

I was wondering what you were on about, but now I know. The order in which I listed the options are not totally reflective of my preferences (mind you, it did help the interconnector option to No. 1 spot) - otherwise, the Eastern By-pass would not see the light of day on my poll. To have a proper poll, I had to list the options which reasonably reflected popular opinion - otherwise, the R132 Julianstown By-pass (near where I live) would be up there! :D

Good night mate! :cool:

Advertisement