Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess forum - dead

Options
  • 07-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right forum...

I've noticed the chess forum is fairly dead. When I posted in there about getting the forum going again, I got a post or two back agreeing with me. AFAIK, there's at least a few semi-regular posters.

Anyhow I was suggesting doing some "renovations", including stickying the few obvious threads "Beginners thread"/"Chess Resources" etc..., but I don't know which mod to talk to!

If there's a mod for the chess forum can you get him/her to start posting and help us getting threads stickied etc.

Thanks,

Conan
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I didn't even know there was a chess forum since I'm only a rookie around here. Thanks mate, I must check it out toknight after I watch King of Queens.

P.S. pawn and bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Nice.

This thread is now about recruiting people to post in the chess forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I used to play for Leinster u19's (but it is hard to say just how bad I have gotten) so I'd be more than interested in trying to get some traffic back on that forum. Maybe some kind of interactive sticky about online games or such would work

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was always a chess fan as a kid but I've no idea how good I'd be. If there was a way to play online easily enough I'd be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

conanm wrote:
    Chess forum - dead
    Linguo wrote:
    Chess forum IS dead

Sad, I know, but I couldn't resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its not dead, its just been checked.

I think some tournament's are needed some decent strat threads etc

build it and they will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

javaboy wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a chess forum since I'm only a rookie around here. Thanks mate, I must check it out toknight after I watch King of Queens.

P.S. pawn and bishop
    Those puns were pretty stale mate...

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »

Oh, look..a horse..

Meaning?

Meaning?

you're a bright one..

you'll figure it out..

Do you behave like this in real life too? If so, I presume you don't have many (any?) friends. Decent people tend to hate those who act like you do on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rb is going to sue you two for stealing his bit...

Do you behave like this in real life too? If so, I presume you don't have many (any?) friends. Decent people tend to hate those who act like you do on this forum.

Shout out random pieces of a chess board?

Not usually no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I didn't know there was a chess forum. I used love playing chess but I was never particularly good at it.
    I did win a school tournament in 2nd Year though *beams with pride* So I'll check out that forum and see what's there.

Oh and Dudess, if you ignore ntlbell he/she/it might just go away.

Sorry I had some much better ones, but I needed cash quick and brought them to a pawnbroker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's a bit draughty in there alright but I reckon we can get it going again.
    I have a couple of friends from Prague that love chess and are very good with forum posting.
    Its great having a Czech mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sorry I had some much better ones, but I needed cash quick and brought them to a pawnbroker.
    Surely you chessed, sir.

• Advertisement

draughty

:rolleyes: Off topic :)

Gordon wrote: »
    Surely you chessed, sir.

Eventually we'll get board of this. Anyway, I forfeit since Grandmaster Gordon, the King of Puns is here.

Its a great one for picking up the ladies too. I used to be able to show them how to mate in three moves.

But then they got scared off the forum in the early days because of all the pawnography.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

:rolleyes: Off topic :)
    Now now, no need to be Lewd,oh well, ok maybe a little. It's not like you have the Monopoly on chess puns though is it, so you aren't taking a Risk are you? That's all I have to say on that, oh my gammon steak is nearly ready, must go to the kitchen to get my gammon back,gammon from the pan.

Gordon wrote: »
    Now now, no need to be Lewd,oh well, ok maybe a little. It's not like you have the Monopoly on chess puns though is it, so you aren't taking a Risk are you? That's all I have to say on that, oh my gammon steak is nearly ready, must go to the kitchen to get my gammon back,gammon from the pan.

Going for broke with the puns now are we? The frustration of not being able to come with proper chess puns got to you.

I was at a chess tournament in Andorra recently. One of the mornings before play, we all went out for a go on the slopes. I saw this one spa ski down the hill too fast and hit a fischer man, named Casper. He knocked Casper off his feet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its been years since I played chess but if I can do anything to help in passing, I will.

DeV (highly impressed with his subtle pun :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I think about 5 of my 3k odd posts were in there.... Used to play a lot in my school days and still play on yahoo to pass the time when i'm playing online poker.
    If someone wants to start a boards league or anything i'll play!

Eh... This thread is for bad chess puns only buddy.
    Or are you not castling on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You just made that comment en passant, didn't you?

Don't mind ntlbell. He's a bishop. You know what the French name is?

Now pardon me while I j'adoube...

Advertisement