Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess forum - dead

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh its like that is it! Well i'm off so.
    Good Knight.

Didnt mean to put you in Zugzwang there mate.
    Sorry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh what's really needed is some strategic maneuvering to put the forum in a more advantageous position.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Everyone who made a pun in this thread, now has to go and post something useful and informative in the Chess forum as punishment. Go. Now!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

DeVore wrote: »
    Everyone who made a pun in this thread, now has to go and post something useful and informative in the Chess forum as punishment. Go. Now!

DeV.
    Cheackmate

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have done my penance: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56491490#post56491490

I think I'll move all the Real World Games up a notch too, that sub cat isnt really cutting it.

De-ifnckinghatetaxonomy-V.

• Advertisement

Done. Bedtime for me... I fly home tomorrow :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

everyone wrote:
    puns

Jesus, you people are retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

conanm wrote: »
    Someone's lost their copy of How to Make Friends and Influence People...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - You could also try recruiting in some of the other forums in the Sports Category. Say the Angling forum. They'd fall for it rook, line & sinker.

* gets coat *

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DeV.

Just one post or one per pun.... cos I could be in trouble there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh lighten up ffs...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh lighten up ffs...

PWND!

Nice.

This thread is now about recruiting people to post in the chess forum.
    What's the problem with that? Isn't that what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Then we'll hardly be contributing to the Chess forum, will we?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I used to play for Leinster u19's (but it is hard to say just how bad I have gotten) so I'd be more than interested in trying to get some traffic back on that forum. Maybe some kind of interactive sticky about online games or such would work
    What age/school were you in?

I played for Leinster at Interprovincial level... I was board 3 for St Benildus when we won the All Ireland Schools U16. Long time ago now!

I loved chess as a kid - keep meaning to get into it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What age/school were you in?

I played for Leinster at Interprovincial level... I was board 3 for St Benildus when we won the All Ireland Schools U16. Long time ago now!

Gonzaga, left 2 maybe 3 years ago. Was board 3 when we won the U/19's and was on two of the winning ESB teams and a Millfield team. Having said that, our generation was considerably ****ter than the guys who left before us

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah I see, well I gave up Chess at 16 and that was 9 years ago so...!

My generation was good by Benildus' standards (it's not exactly the most academically focused school) but we were pretty much always overshadowed by Gonzaga (bar the one All Ireland U16 win) who had Gordan Freeman (heh heh heh, love that name..), Eoin Casey, Sam Collins, Peter Hayes etc. I seem to recall there was a 'golden generation' in Benildus a couple of years after mine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Its been years since I played chess but if I can do anything to help in passing, I will.

DeV (highly impressed with his subtle pun :p)
    :DIt took me a second, but I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've just recently said that I feel forums like Chess are getting lost in the games dropdown - real world games are perhaps better suited under the Rec dropdown.

I confess it's rare enough I'd visit the Chess forum, so if it needs direct attention, feel free to PM me for bannings/stickings etc.

There seems to be a fair bit of interest in this thread too, so ideally a Chess mod could be appointed to do a bit of housekeeping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

There seems to be a fair bit of interest in this thread too, so ideally a Chess mod could be appointed to do a bit of housekeeping...

If they can stay awake long enough to read through it all! :p

I loved chess as a kid, but somehow writing about it ain't quite the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If you wanted some assistance I could help you out. I played in all the main Irish tournaments regularly until about a year and a half ago and have some old friends in the ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh lighten up ffs...
    I wasn't being serious. :P Puns are funny, but some of them were awwwwwwwful.
    Dudess wrote:
    conanm wrote:
    Nice.

This thread is now about recruiting people to post in the chess forum.

No... uh.. what? No problem with that, idea was I was jokingly shifting the focus of the thread? ....

Dudess you confuse me. Also why did you thumbs up my post and then tell me to lighten up? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dudess you confuse me. Also why did you thumbs up my post and then tell me to lighten up? :confused:

Mind games. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I know how you feel OP. My dad was a chess forum too and he always had trouble expressing himself.

I learned to deal with this by hiding behind a mask of low key sarcasm, but it was a losing defence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hill Billy wrote: »
    OP - You could also try recruiting in some of the other forums in the Sports Category. Say the Angling forum. They'd fall for it rook, line & sinker.

* gets coat *

DOUBLE PUN!

[/unreal tournament voiceover guy]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I would be interested in a boards chess league.

Check, Mate.

*runs to chess forum*

I notice people are not paying penance for their puns... :)

Continue these chess related topics on the CHESS forum too! :D
    Thread closing soon.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Check and mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If you wanted some assistance I could help you out. I played in all the main Irish tournaments regularly until about a year and a half ago and have some old friends in the ICU

I think the Chess board could definitely do with someone with a keen interest like yourself to look after things...

Admins?

Advertisement