Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic left-overs

Options
  • 04-06-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭

I think that after the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and the carving up of Germany's territory after WW1, the ethnic Germans and Hungarians remaining in these areas got a raw deal. They were victimised by nationalists in Poland, Czechoslovakia and most of the other newly independent states emerging after WW1. My view is that they were pretty much regarded as second-class citizens. I think that's why they saw Hitler as their saviour.

When Hitler's scheme went pear-shaped, the ethnic Germans in these areas got it in the neck again. I've visited Bohemia on several occasions, never failing to be amazed at the situation there. For centuries, German-speaking peoples were the majority in Western Bohemia. When WW2 ended, and before the communists took over, the entire population was thrown out and sent to Austria and Germany. It seems that any ethnic Hungarians got turfed out as well. They had to leave their farms, houses and businesses intact and fully equipped and furnished. If they attempted to sabotage anything, thery were punished. Most of them spent time in prison-camps prior their departure and the total number of deaths, rapes, violent assaults etc etc is disputed on both sides.

People from all over Czechoslovakia were moved into the vacated premises. They obviously didn't fill all of the vacated buildings as you can see a lot of derelict structures all over the place. The only evidence that German-speakers lived there are the old WW1 war memorials, listing mostly German names.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of hatred between the peoples along the Czech/German border, despite what happened 60 years ago. There is a group in Germany (Sudetendeutsche Landsmannschaft) representing the evicted and they want to be compensated for their losses. They had a meeting in Prague, not so long ago, to the sound of some nationalist mini-riot outside the building.

http://sudetengermans.freeyellow.com/

This is their site and, not being there at the time, can't tell whether any of it has been hyped up. However, it happened. Does anyone think that they deserved what they got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Further to that, there was a huge chunk of Poland, Lithuania and that tiny Russian scrap of land in the Baltic, where the Germans had to move out of after WW2. It was East Prussia back then. Plus, alot of land east of the Oder Neisse (is that correct?) rivers was also German, but became Polish after the war. Again, as many as 2 million had to leave those areas at the end of WW2.

Did they deserve it? Nobody deserves being tossed out of their homes and/or raped and murdered. But there wasn't much to stop it happening back then. The focus was on winning the war from the Allied side. I mean, nobody deserves being carpet bombed either, but it was still carried out, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Czech expulsions happened after the end of WW2. They're the result of the Benes Decree. He was the leader of the Czechoslovak government in exile in England, moving back to Prague after the war. Some of the more affluent Austro-German ex land-owners are still trying to get their stately homes back. They were apparently grabbed on the grounds that the owners collaborated with the nazis. There's a guy at the moment, a member of the Collorado-Mansfeld family, who is trying to claim back a number of high-profile buildings in the Czech Republic. The government says "Your old man was a nazi, you can't have 'em back!". His argument is that his father probably was a nazi, but his father had transferred ownership to himself, who at the time was 12, so couldn't have been a nazi." The Czech courts will be busy for decades.

Poland was given a huge chunk of ex-German territory after WW1 and another huge chunk after WW2. Then again, a chunk of Poland was handed over to the Ukraine after WW2 thanks to the Soviets.

And now, after the fall of communism, as you say, there's a speck of Russia, Kaliningrad, that used to be Konigsberg. Again, all of the Germans were tipped out to be replaced by Russians. It was handy base for their Baltic fleet.

I know that one or two Poles frequent these boards and am interested in their view. Is it Wroclaw or Breslau? Is it Polish coal or German coal from Silesia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭tomster

"The city of Wrocław originated as a stronghold situated at a long-existing trading route to Greater Moravia and Bohemia. The city was first recorded in the 10th century as Vratislavia, possibly derived from the name of the Bohemian duke Vratislav I who died in 921. The history of the city begins at the end of the 10th century under the Polish Piast dynasty. At that time the city bears the name of Vratislavia and is limited to district of Ostrów Tumski (the Cathedral Island)."

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wroc%C5%82aw

Germans and Russian always used to claim our lands and property. No matter how: by force or by changing history, fading facts... I will never trust them.

tomster wrote: »
    "The city of Wrocław originated as a stronghold situated at a long-existing trading route to Greater Moravia and Bohemia. The city was first recorded in the 10th century as Vratislavia, possibly derived from the name of the Bohemian duke Vratislav I who died in 921. The history of the city begins at the end of the 10th century under the Polish Piast dynasty. At that time the city bears the name of Vratislavia and is limited to district of Ostrów Tumski (the Cathedral Island)."

Germans and Russian always used to claim our lands and property. No matter how: by force or by changing history, fading facts... I will never trust them.

I'm glad it's back in the right hands then, after such a long absence:D

But it's a great shame that a sizeable number of people, whether German, or not, got kicked out in reclaiming territory after several centuries. If it was inhabited by Poles, in the same way that Ireland was mostly inhabited by Irish, then I can see why it should have been returned to Poland. The fact that the post WW2 population was in the majority, German, and had been for centuries, sheds a different and more inhumane light on it. In the same vein, the Russians weren't exactly humane when the Poles were kicked out of Polish territory that was given to the Ukraine. A dirty business all round.

I also appreciate that the modern Germans have told the Polish government that it has no territorial claims on any of the land taken after WW2.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm glad it's back in the right hands then, after such a long absence:D

Why not? I'm getting a bit tired of all these "immigration" threads...
    But it's a great shame that a sizeable number of people, whether German, or not, got kicked out in reclaiming territory after several centuries.
    It is shame indeed. Instead of being kicked out the Germans should be treated the way they treated us: gas, shot in the head, electrecuted and a few left for medical experiments. That'd be absolutely fair I guess!

As a side note, as you mentioned: not the Poles kicked them out, but Russians and Americans. Not the Poles have given the huge parts of best soil and old lands of our fathers to Ukraine and Lithuania (recently 2 USSR Republics or simply part of Russian Empire) but Russians and Americans. See Yalta Conference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalta_Conference .
    We were never such a shameless bastards as Germans are to claim them back or moan about it. **** happens.
    If it was inhabited by Poles, in the same way that Ireland was mostly inhabited by Irish, then I can see why it should have been returned to Poland. The fact that the post WW2 population was in the majority, German, and had been for centuries, sheds a different and more inhumane light on it.

I'm actually surprised that you, proud Irish, free after 800 years of English hegemony on YOUR lands, can say such things... The fact that they lived there just means that they robbed these lands centuries ago and claimed ownership. Unfortunately - we do not forget...

In the same vein, the Russians weren't exactly humane when the Poles were kicked out of Polish territory that was given to the Ukraine. A dirty business all round.

As per my post above.

I also appreciate that the modern Germans have told the Polish government that it has no territorial claims on any of the land taken after WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_of_Expellees

Oficialy the German government have no other choice than say "We have no claims" (a wolf turns into a sheep - Christ, it drives me mad when I have to think that those psychopats and murderers may have ANY CLAIMS after the all they did to milions of men, women and innocent children in the name of the LAND and THEIR PRIDE). They won't make any claims directly, but through the organisations like the one above - backed and supported (off the record of course) by the government. In order to Polish request to delegalise them, the German government refused due to the fact, that "Federation of Expellees" is not part of the government and the government don't support the claims they make. Also that they are "completely harmless" and "should not be treated seriously".

The Wheel of History goes on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,319 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Germany and Russia controleld Poland for a long time. There were swings and roundabouts, give and take.

The current play by certain Germans (mostly) is about money, not rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Germans were scattered all over Europe after their states were decimated in the religous wars that wrecked Germany in the 16th and 17th centuries. These refugees/settlers spread eastward across the continent. Eventually they were incorporated into friendly states when the Habsburgs and Prussians expanded eastward. So if the French/Swedes/Poles/Habsburgs and every other power in Europe didnt use Germany as a battleground they would have never left.
    Anyway I know that the Hungarians got a pretty **** deal. There is still over 4 million of them in Romania and the live on the border, those lands should be returned IMO.

Anyway I know that the Hungarians got a pretty **** deal. There is still over 4 million of them in Romania and the live on the border, those lands should be returned IMO.
    If the Hungarians didn't get involved in a series of wars, people would have been much more willing to solve such problems.

there still are some ethnic Germans living in Poland, and they have a political party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Minority_(political_party)

There was also enthic Germans living in Hungary, I remember meeting some, in a small town, visiting their family graves, when on a cycling trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I know that one or two Poles frequent these boards and am interested in their view. Is it Wroclaw or Breslau? Is it Polish coal or German coal from Silesia?

Be careful what you wish for...

It's a good question, and quite close to my heart, as I am from the parts of Poland which were German before the war.

There is few things you have to remember here:

1. I think it's wrong to look at this issue as just a 20th century one. The disputed areas had a mixture of Polish, German and Czech inhabitants over the last 1000 years, every now and then one of the nations getting an upper hand.

2. The concept of Nationalism wasn't that important up until the 19th century really, before that the loyalties were much more local. To this day there is plenty of people living in Upper Silesia, who regard themselves as Silesians, not Polish or Germans. Their language is a mixture of Polish and German too. As for Germany - it wasn't one country until the end of 19th century, before that it was more of a coalition of German nations. So it's not as simple us Poles vs. Germans really.

3. I'm not sure how much you know about the partitions of Poland. Basically, at the end of 18th century, our land was taken from us by Prussia, Austria and Russia. See the map here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rzeczpospolita_Rozbiory_3.png

There was no such a country us Poland (with the short exception of Kingdom of Poland given to us by Napoleon) for 126 years, until the WWI ended. During this period, parts of Poland anexed by Prussia and Austria were under very intense germanisation. Polish language and culture was basicaly outlawed. Because of that, a lot of people declared German at the end of WWII, were in fact of Polish/Slav descent, particularly Silesians and Kashubs. So claiming that all areas given to Poland were populated by germans is not entirely true.

4. After the war, we lost much more land than we gained. Another map for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Curzon_line_en.svg

Remember, every polish person who moved to the "Regained Lands" as they were called, was kicked out from somewhere else.

5. It was Germans who started the war. When you do that, you might loose, and then you have to deal with the consequences. Even if you put the atrocities aside because it was Nazis who committed them, ordinary Germans were quite happy to use slave labour sent to Germany from occupied territories. Slaves worked on the farms and factories all over Germany. They weren't generally treated that badly, but the fact remains that they were there against their will, kidnapped from Poland, Russia and other countries

6. As for harshness of the expelling process itself. It's true, it was brutal at times, but firstly, remember that it happened after 6 years of extremely brutal German occupation, and secondly same thing were happening to the Poles being moved to the west from our eastern parts.

So having all this in mind:

I don't think Germans got a particularly raw deal. This land changed hands loads of times, first half of the 20th century was just another turn of the wheel. I know that being Polish I'm biased, but I will still say what we got was much worse. I mean, we were invaded, occupied for 6 years - during this time a quarter of the civilian population was killed -, and then our land was robbed (I know we got land in exchange, but we didn't really asked for it, in fact our exiled government in London tried everything to stop it, but it was decided by the Big three, and we had to deal with it) and then left on Soviet mercy for 50 years. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but this is the truth. Quite simplified I admit, but still the truth.

So in short: It's Wroclaw, and it's polish coal.

@tomster - no need to get so defensive. OP asked a very legitimate question. Remember that being Polish, we know the Polish history better, but we are also biased. it's good to get outsider's point of view, and to be able to give our side of the story to people who are actually interested.

• Advertisement

there still are some ethnic Germans living in Poland, and they have a political party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Minority_(political_party)

There was also enthic Germans living in Hungary, I remember meeting some, in a small town, visiting their family graves, when on a cycling trip.

There is also ethnic Germans as far East as Asia, Kazakhstan where they make up 5% of the population.

ojewriej wrote: »

I don't think Germans got a particularly raw deal. This land changed hands loads of times, first half of the 20th century was just another turn of the wheel. I know that being Polish I'm biased, but I will still say what we got was much worse. I mean, we were invaded, occupied for 6 years - during this time a quarter of the civilian population was killed -, and then our land was robbed (I know we got land in exchange, but we didn't really asked for it, in fact our exiled government in London tried everything to stop it, but it was decided by the Big three, and we had to deal with it) and then left on Soviet mercy for 50 years. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but this is the truth. Quite simplified I admit, but still the truth.

@togster - no need to get that defensive. OP asked a very legitimate question. Remember that being Polish, we know the Polish history better, but we are also biased. it's good to get outsider's point of view, and to be able to give our side of the story to people who are actually interested.

The Soviets stole all of your Eastern lands didnt they. Before the war started Germany and USSR split your country down the middle at Brest-Litovsk. That city is now in Belorussia. I mean you won that land fair and square by kicking Russian ass in the battle of Komarow. Poland shrunk in size after WW2, which a lot of people dont know.

The Soviets stole all of your Eastern lands didnt they.

They sure did. It could be worse though - we could have been a Soviet Republic.

But to be honest, I blame UK for that more than Soviets. I mean, Soviets were Soviets, they did what they did. But English were supposed to be our allies, but they let this and a lot of other things happen, just to keep Stalin quiet.

But that's a different story.

@tomster - no need to get so defensive. OP asked a very legitimate question. Remember that being Polish, we know the Polish history better, but we are also biased. it's good to get outsider's point of view, and to be able to give our side of the story to people who are actually interested.
    ojewriej, do me a favour please: stop wrecking my head doing remarks to almost every post I posted on Boards sticking your "advices" to any thread I participate in. You're not my mentor and please don't pretend so.

No offence man, but I had to get it of my chest - at some stage it started pissing me off.

End of topic.

ojewriej, do me a favour please: stop wrecking my head doing remarks to almost every post I posted on Boards sticking your "advices" to any thread I participate in. You're not my mentor and please don't pretend so.

No offence man, but I had to get it of my chest - at some stage it started pissing me off.

End of topic.

To be honest i don't remember talking to you before, but fair enough, I'll ignore you from now on. I don't think it will be that hard.

Thank you ojewriej. All I asked was to stop being "protective" playing a role of an "older brother/mentor" patting me back and giving "advices" I am sick of. I will not quote the other remarks as this is a normal thread, not a Polish-forum-like sihthole. So please let it be the last post regarding our personal issues.

What about the Germanic tribes that lived in that area 1700 years beforehand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Germanic_tribes_%28750BC-1AD%29.png

Good question though!

I'd say the city of Wrocław has been built and developed mainly by Poles (obviously under infulence of different cultures/nations) on Polish (at that time) lands and that's why IMO should belong to Poland and can be called Polish. I might be wrong.

As per the map: who lived on these lands before German tribes moved from Scandinavia (750BC) according to an oldest records on the map? - (RED_colour) Settlements before 750BC. Their further expansion - (ORANGE_colour) New settlements until 500BC - shows their arrival to the lands currently known as Polish (incuding Wroclaw) until 500BC... I really doubt that they found the place empty. So the new question rises: who lived there? If they weren't Germans, who were they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Polish_history

Be careful what you wish for...

It's a good question, and quite close to my heart, as I am from the parts of Poland which were German before the war.

There is few things you have to remember here:

1. I think it's wrong to look at this issue as just a 20th century one. The disputed areas had a mixture of Polish, German and Czech inhabitants over the last 1000 years, every now and then one of the nations getting an upper hand.

2. The concept of Nationalism wasn't that important up until the 19th century really, before that the loyalties were much more local. To this day there is plenty of people living in Upper Silesia, who regard themselves as Silesians, not Polish or Germans. Their language is a mixture of Polish and German too. As for Germany - it wasn't one country until the end of 19th century, before that it was more of a coalition of German nations. So it's not as simple us Poles vs. Germans really.

3. I'm not sure how much you know about the partitions of Poland. Basically, at the end of 18th century, our land was taken from us by Prussia, Austria and Russia. See the map here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rzeczpospolita_Rozbiory_3.png

There was no such a country us Poland (with the short exception of Kingdom of Poland given to us by Napoleon) for 126 years, until the WWI ended. During this period, parts of Poland anexed by Prussia and Austria were under very intense germanisation. Polish language and culture was basicaly outlawed. Because of that, a lot of people declared German at the end of WWII, were in fact of Polish/Slav descent, particularly Silesians and Kashubs. So claiming that all areas given to Poland were populated by germans is not entirely true.

4. After the war, we lost much more land than we gained. Another map for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Curzon_line_en.svg

Remember, every polish person who moved to the "Regained Lands" as they were called, was kicked out from somewhere else.

5. It was Germans who started the war. When you do that, you might loose, and then you have to deal with the consequences. Even if you put the atrocities aside because it was Nazis who committed them, ordinary Germans were quite happy to use slave labour sent to Germany from occupied territories. Slaves worked on the farms and factories all over Germany. They weren't generally treated that badly, but the fact remains that they were there against their will, kidnapped from Poland, Russia and other countries

6. As for harshness of the expelling process itself. It's true, it was brutal at times, but firstly, remember that it happened after 6 years of extremely brutal German occupation, and secondly same thing were happening to the Poles being moved to the west from our eastern parts.

So having all this in mind:

So in short: It's Wroclaw, and it's polish coal.

Thanks for the info, very enlightening.

I’ve always been intrigued by the countries that were locked away for 40 odd years. I’m a bit of an ancient relic myself, having been schooled with quite a few children whose parents left these countries, either before, or after the communists took over. In the UK, by far the highest proportion of my old friends had Polish parents. The parents of the rest of them came from all over the central and eastern Europe, the Baltic states, etc etc. On the whole, the “refugees” hated the Russians with a vengeance, not having the same anger towards the Germans. The Polish mother of one of my pals was particularly pis5ed off with the Russians as she and God knows how many others were dragged off to Siberia. She managed to survive and headed off to England, where she spent the rest of her life with her Polish husband.

In my twisted way of thinking, I can see by Tomster’s reaction to my question, that Germans are higher on his hate list than the Russians. Correct me if you think that I am wrong in the following assumption – and feel free to tell me if I’m talking rubbish.:)

During the communist era, throughout the Iron-Curtain countries, the point was always made that the Russians were every communist’s best friend. At the same time throughout the communist education system, the Germans were grouped with the capitalist, imperialist worker-trampling west. Of course, as East Germany was communist, those Germans were the only OK ones. The end result of Soviet “history lessons” being that some of what was taught stayed in the minds of the students and has been hard to shift despite the fall of communism.

On the face of it, from my devious viewpoint, it seems that the Poles who never had to go through any communist indoctrination, hate the Russians a lot more than they do the Germans, whereas those under the Soviet thumb, hate the Germans more.

In my twisted way of thinking, I can see by Tomster’s reaction to my question, that Germans are higher on his hate list than the Russians. Correct me if you think that I am wrong in the following assumption – and feel free to tell me if I’m talking rubbish.:)
    Ehh ;) It's not like that :) Sometimes emotions take control especially in this particular case. But I go nuts when after all they have done they dare to claim something! Well, OK, happened, I can forgive - but shameless claimes? Even if it was about a bunch of sticks from Polish forest I'd get mad. Same phoney friends - Russians. But I am definetely not a type of person that shaves the head and kicks the bolix of every met German/Russian. Forgive, but never forget.

• Advertisement

On the face of it, from my devious viewpoint, it seems that the Poles who never had to go through any communist indoctrination, hate the Russians a lot more than they do the Germans, whereas those under the Soviet thumb, hate the Germans more.

That's exactly how it is. I only started fully comprehend what Soviets did to us (and to other nations) when I came here in 2001 and started reading in English. Before that, it was the Germans who were all bad. It's nothing surprising though, as indoctrination started very early - in my primary school I was even a member of the a society for Soviet/Polish Friendship - we all were. A lot of sunday morning tv series aimed at kids were about the war as well, sending the messago how evil germans invaded us, and we were only saved by good russians.

On the other hand people who didn't come back to Poland after the war, or emigrated later, usually did so because of communists, that's why they hatred is directed towards them.

That's exactly how it is. I only started fully comprehend what Soviets did to us (and to other nations) when I came here in 2001 and started reading in English. Before that, it was the Germans who were all bad. It's nothing surprising though, as indoctrination started very early - in my primary school I was even a member of the a society for Soviet/Polish Friendship - we all were. A lot of sunday morning tv series aimed at kids were about the war as well, sending the messago how evil germans invaded us, and we were only saved by good russians.

On the other hand people who didn't come back to Poland after the war, or emigrated later, usually did so because of communists, that's why they hatred is directed towards them.

Damn Russians!

Well at least Poland is going to get some land back from the Czechs, albeit 370 hectares. This is to compensate for what the Soviets ordered back in the 1950s.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/104412

Damn Russians!

Yah, damn them and their sneaky ways.
    Well at least Poland is going to get some land back from the Czechs, albeit 370 hectares. This is to compensate for what the Soviets ordered back in the 1950s.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/104412

My grandad was originaly from the Tesin area mentioned in this article. He was in a czech orphanage and his sister was in another one. After the conflict was resolved, my grandad ended up on the Polish side and was brought up as a Pole. His sister stayed on the czech side, and was brought up as a Czech. She still leaves there with her family. Tesin is split in half now, and her grandaughter who lives in on the Czech side, goes to school on the polish side, quite common practice over there.

Just another example how complicated these things can be.

As per the map: who lived on these lands before German tribes moved from Scandinavia (750BC) according to an oldest records on the map? - (RED_colour) Settlements before 750BC. Their further expansion - (ORANGE_colour) New settlements until 500BC - shows their arrival to the lands currently known as Polish (incuding Wroclaw) until 500BC... I really doubt that they found the place empty. So the new question rises: who lived there? If they weren't Germans, who were they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Polish_history

The people who the Germans displaced in the map I mentioned were in fact Celts who then settled in Spain, France and Britain. I just put it up as IMO migration is one of the most natural things a human can do. Poles came to Europe during the migration Period 3rd-7th Century. Sure arent we all from Africa originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Soviets stole all of your Eastern lands didnt they. Before the war started Germany and USSR split your country down the middle at Brest-Litovsk. That city is now in Belorussia. I mean you won that land fair and square by kicking Russian ass in the battle of Komarow. Poland shrunk in size after WW2, which a lot of people dont know.

Wasn't Brest-Litovsk the treaty that took Russia/USSR out of WWI?

It was the Non-aggression Pact between Ribbentrop and Molotov (?) that partioned Poland in 1939.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Wasn't Brest-Litovsk the treaty that took Russia/USSR out of WWI?

It was the Non-aggression Pact between Ribbentrop and Molotov (?) that partioned Poland in 1939.

Yeah, it saw a lot of action didnt it.

The people who the Germans displaced in the map I mentioned were in fact Celts who then settled in Spain, France and Britain. I just put it up as IMO migration is one of the most natural things a human can do. Poles came to Europe during the migration Period 3rd-7th Century. Sure arent we all from Africa originally?
    We are from Africa indeed. Thats actually quite funny though when you mention it in any "racist" thread.

Now, a few things I've found:

Polish lands

5500 BC
    Arrival of the first farmers
    740 BC
    Biskupin fortified settlement built

450-500 AD
    First Slavic settlements

Biskupin
    is an archaeological site and a life-size model of an Iron Age fortified settlement in north-central Poland (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship). It belongs to the Biskupin group of the Lusatian culture. The excavation and the reconstruction of the prehistoric settlement has played an important part in Polish historical consciousness.

Lausitz-type' burials were first described by the German pathologist and archaeologist Rudolf Virchow (1821-1902). The name refers to the Lusatia (Lausitz) area in eastern Germany (Brandenburg and Saxony) and Poland. Virchow identified the pottery as 'pre-Germanic' but refused to speculate on the ethnic identity of their makers.

Numerous Czech (Píč, Niederle, Červinka) and Polish (Majewski, Kostrzewski, Kozłowski) authors believed the Lusatians to be Proto-Slavs, while the German archaeologist A. Götze saw them as Thracian, and Gustaf Kossinna first as Karpo-Dacian, a tribe mentioned by Zosimus and then as Illyrian.

There is also ethnic Germans as far East as Asia, Kazakhstan where they make up 5% of the population.
    I was aware of this, but have not studied it. I presumed they were modern settlers. Indeed nearly half of Kazakhstan is Russian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

As an astronomer I see this entire planet as a speck of dust in the universe.

After all that has happened the primitive tribalism of the human race is still alive and well.

German ..Pole...Russian.

Who cares in this age of Einstein and the Hubble Space Telescope and the Large Hadron Collider.

Humans are still killing each other like the primitive mental-microbes that most of them really are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How...inciteful. sometimes people who claim to see the bigger picture aren't very good at handling details.

Advertisement