Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christenings

Options
  • 02-05-2008 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Would you christen your baby? Forgive me for my ignorance on the subject, but AFAIK, a LOT of parents who wouldnt be religious or who wouldnt go to mass christen their children :S Is my perception of this totally wrong? :S Christenings are so pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

diddley wrote: »
    Would you christen your baby? Forgive me for my ignorance on the subject, but AFAIK, a LOT of parents who wouldnt be religious or who wouldnt go to mass christen their children :S Is my perception of this totally wrong? :S Christenings are so pointless.

Funny you should mention that. I went to one at the weekend and had a terrible moral dilemma as to whether I should attend or not.
    Christenings are obviously pointless to atheists, but the lukewarm folks in the middle who aren't really practicing that I know, see a christening as a kind of religious insurance policy. Cop out, gutless, fence sitters? Not my place to judge.
    I had to bite my tongue on several occasions during the barbaric ritual of indoctrination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Most people just use them as an excuse for a p!ss up from what I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

orestes wrote: »
    Most people just use them as an excuse for a p!ss up from what I can tell

That seanms to often be the case alright. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd say more people use it as an educational insurance policy than a religious one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Would you christen your baby?

Short answer: No

However, I could see circumstances where I would allow my child to be christened, even if I have no intention of giving it a religious upbringing.
    My missus doesn't have as strong feelings about atheism as I do, and in addition her family are very religious. This could possibly lead to my child being christened.

In reality though, these proceedings are part of irish custom, even though the majority of people don't place any religious weight in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'd say more people use it as an educational insurance policy than a religious one tbh

Sadly, I would say this is a prevalent factor in Ireland today, along with pressure from the grandparents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

AFAIK, a LOT of parents who wouldnt be religious or who wouldnt go to mass christen their children
    Not in our family -- three out of six in the extended family were baptized, but that happened 20 years ago down the country. The three that were born and live in Dublin haven't been dipped, nor are they very likely to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'd have no interest in christening my child, but my mother has already told me she would sneak him/her to a priest if i didnt. I'd do it just to keep her happy tbh.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I'd have no interest in christening my child, but my mother has already told me she would sneak him/her to a priest if i didnt. I'd do it just to keep her happy tbh.

Jeebus, if my mother did that to me, I think I'd see red.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zamboni wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that. I went to one at the weekend and had a terrible moral dilemma as to whether I should attend or not?
    Why the hell would you not attend a Christening?

I was at one last weekend too. Nice family affair with food and booze afterwards in the sun.

My first is due this year, and it will be Christened for two reasons (1) Mummy and families completely expect it, and (2) getting the child into a decent school within 10 miles. Yes it will piss me off having to do it, but my indignation doesn't need to be someone else's burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

SDooM wrote: »
    Jeebus, if my mother did that to me, I think I'd see red.

My children are all hypothetical by the way, but id tend to mirror what dades just said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    my indignation doesn't need to be someone else's burden.
    hmmm... with an attitude like that, you'll never make much of a fundamentalist :)

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    My children are all hypothetical by the way, but id tend to mirror what dades just said.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Dades too. But if anyone forced a child of mine to do something without my permission- especially something religious like that- I would not be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I dont think christenings are a big deal TBH. The kids not old enough to know what's going on anyway. First Communion and confirmation on the other hand...

robindch wrote: »
    hmmm... with an attitude like that, you'll never make much of a fundamentalist :)
    I blame my ethos. ;)
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with Dades too. But if anyone forced a child of mine to do something without my permission- especially something religious like that- I would not be pleased.
    I concur, although if my kid could be christened and get it's "Go To School Pass" without me having to win a Tony award at the altar - that wouldn't be the worst thing!

I dont think christenings are a big deal TBH. The kids not old enough to know what's going on anyway. First Communion and confirmation on the other hand...

But when it came to First Communion, would you be happy making your kid feel left out? Is that not worse, even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

Zamboni wrote: »
    I had to bite my tongue on several occasions during the barbaric ritual of indoctrination.

Isn't that a bit much? I would describe christenings as: boring, slow and repetitive. Unless you mean the part where the baby cries as the priests wets his head, I don't know what you mean by barbaric.
    It's hardly indoctinating either, per se. Nobody listens who doesn't already believe, and those who don't believe are only there for the relatives or the beer. How bad?

But when it came to First Communion, would you be happy making your kid feel left out? Is that not worse, even?
    Thats kind of what I meant. Kids are *forced* (to an extent) to have their communion/confirmation with all their friends and teachers teaching them prayers, going through the mass etc. What place has that got in State schools? Its all about the church keeping power and indoctrinating (SP?) the vunerable. You can't indoctrinate a baby in a christening because it doesn't know whats going on.

Anyway I'm off topic.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yes, I would if it's mother wanted it done. Plus, it would be the expected thing in my family, and I wouldn't want to cause hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I am always amazed at how many people would do things like this "just to keep the mother happy". Do interfering family members really have so little respect for you that they can't accept your reasons for doing things your own way, if you feel strongly about it?

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    if you feel strongly about it?
    I think you'll find that most atheists don't feel strongly about it. I mean you hold your baby and the priest runs some water over his/her head. No big deal.

I suppose in Ireland I would consider someone who declares themselves an atheist would feel quite strongly about it. At least I do. :pac:

Tigrrrr wrote: »
    It's hardly indoctinating either, per se. Nobody listens who doesn't already believe, and those who don't believe are only there for the relatives or the beer. How bad?
    All true!

As for first holy communion, that decision can be left with the child. If they don't want to be left out - fair enough. Though surely these days there are enough non-catholics in each class so that those NOT making their communion aren't complete lepers.

And I don't think it's the physical act of pouring over water that I would object too, it's the symbolism. I mean the reason I don't attend mass is that I don't subscribe to what's being said, rather than I don't like sitting on a wooden bench for half an hour while some guy talks on an altar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I feel strongly about it. My children are not christened even though my parents (father in particular) wants them to. We had to go to my niece's christening recently and my father started brainwashing my daughters - when I threatened to walk out of the church with them he stopped. But at the afters he started again with the "if you don't I will" thing. There are harsh words coming soon.

The way I see it it is our choice whether our kids are christened or not - nobody else's until our children are old enough to decide for themselves - then it becomes their choice. I respect my parents' choices regarding their religion and I fully expect, and demand, the same respect for my choices especially regarding my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Macros42 wrote: »
    The way I see it it is our choice whether our kids are christened or not - nobody else's until our children are old enough to decide for themselves - then it becomes their choice. I respect my parents' choices regarding their religion and I fully expect, and demand, the same respect for my choices especially regarding my children.

Bravo!

I totally agree Macros. My parents respect my views and I theirs. I don't have children but I wouldn't let anyone try to tell me what to do regarding christening...I'm thinking of a certain mother-in-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Jeebus, everyone is a moderate today.
    It must be the bank holiday looming up ;)

I'm still with Macros and Malari on this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Malari wrote: »
    I am always amazed at how many people would do things like this "just to keep the mother happy". Do interfering family members really have so little respect for you that they can't accept your reasons for doing things your own way, if you feel strongly about it?

I think when they say "the mother" they're talking about their childs mother not their own mothers.

• Advertisement

Ok, but I think some people are talking about their own mothers. Or relatives. And either way, surely the mother and father have a say.

Advertisement