Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-04-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Had posted this in the gardening thread but got no answers, anybody here know of the below?

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there are any allotments still going in Dublin, preferably the north side of Dublin?

Cheers

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Dunno what the story is, but there's a little square near me in Glasnevin, DeCourcey Square I think? And there's a set of little vegetable gardens in the middle. I presume they're all spoken for, but it's interesting to see it so close to the City Centre.

http://pininthemap.com/pp5992030d29a8b74b9

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there are soem in the Fingal area. You will need to talk to the councils - probably the parks department.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there were some over here in Fingal alright but afaik they have no been closed to allow for building to happen.

There are new ones being prepared, close to Blanchardstown, but they're full up and the waiting list is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do a leaflet drop in the houses in deCourcey Square, I think they have rights on the plots there. If so, you might be able to rent one.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My Dad has one, its in Bohernabreena, there are loads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor wrote: »
    I think there are soem in the Fingal area. You will need to talk to the councils - probably the parks department.
    Fingal County Council have allotments off Turvey Avenue in Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

This is true but the waiting list is long. We registered 2 years ago and still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

You'd be suprised how much you can grow even in a small back garden. I have loads of herbs, srtrawberries, garlic and potatoes growing on a balcony in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Thanks to all for their suggestions here and their PM's - much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This is true but the waiting list is long. We registered 2 years ago and still no joy.
    The annoying thing is that many of the people who have them, don't really use them but just like holding on to them (especially when there is demand for them). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fuinnseog

Are you in Fingal or Dublin City Council LaoLao? I am interested in getting an allotment on the northside and I'm in Dublin City Council. The council have told me to try and get as many interested people together (at least 5-6) and to try and identify suitable lands which the council can then purchase through a compulsory purchase order or suitable parklands.

So if anyone out there is interested in setting up allotments, public on the north side of Dublin City Council or private anywhere on the northside, please let me know and perhaps we can start to lobby the council as a group or identify private lands for lease to a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

Hi, I'd definately be interested in seeing about getting an allotment in the Dublin City area. We're based in Stoneybatter so the Fingal one's are a hell of a shlep, even if you could get one.

If the council will submit to lobbying count me in.

Sesheta, would the Farmleigh allotments be close enough to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fionn67

Fuinnseog wrote: »
    Are you in Fingal or Dublin City Council LaoLao? I am interested in getting an allotment on the northside and I'm in Dublin City Council. The council have told me to try and get as many interested people together (at least 5-6) and to try and identify suitable lands which the council can then purchase through a compulsory purchase order or suitable parklands.

So if anyone out there is interested in setting up allotments, public on the north side of Dublin City Council or private anywhere on the northside, please let me know and perhaps we can start to lobby the council as a group or identify private lands for lease to a group.
    Hi Fuinnseog
    Yes very very interested in an allotment and Northside
    Yesterday was out at (very nice ) private allotments on way to Dunboyne but just that a little too far for me (45 min drive which kinda takes the 'green' good out of it :) )
    I even know the perfect spot for some allotments....in a park!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

lorweld wrote: »

There are loads in Goatstown but have been sold AFAIK, planning pernission for a load of apartments i think! AIB did own the at one stage me thinks

Hi Fionn,

Which park are you thinking of? Father Collins park might be a good spot as they are going fairly green with the wind turbines and all so maybe the could be persuaded? There is also land in St. Donagh's estate in Donaghmede but there could be some anti-social issues to be dealt with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Its been quite a number of years since I lived there, but there used to be allotments in the old railway cuttings at the back of the north circular road, phoenix park end. I think they were owned by CIE at the time.

smacl, are those the Farmleigh allotments you're talking about? I think they are still going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 beerbluemoon

would be very interested in obtaining an allotment on the northside, or lobbying for one! anyone have any plans? keep me informed.............

Hi beerbluemoon,

my only plan so far is basically what i was told by DCC...to try and get the interested people together. The next step is to try and identify suitable lands. We can then start to lobby the council to purchase these lands through a compulsory purchase order or provide space in existing council lands, such as suitable parklands.

So i think we have about 3-4 of us on the northside so far, so keep your eye out for suitable land and then when we get a couple of more people on board we can start the lobbying.

Have you any plans yourself? I'd be interested to hear any other angles we could approach this from! :)

hi Fuinnseog, dont think there is much we can do till we get the numbers up! I was thinking of getting in touch with the magazine "the irish garden" maybe place an add/get them to run a story? try get more people interested, am sure there are plenty out there, but with no structure/organization out there its a bit haphazard at the moment, south dublin seem to have a good set up.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Elvisgirl

Hello there,
    I would also be interested in having an allotment on the Northside of Dublin so count me in if you need 5/6 people to do it!
    I'm living in Dublin.3

hi Elvisgirl, welcome aboard! have spoke to two more couples today who are very interested so hopefully were heading somewhere!! that makes about 10 so far i think? dublin 3? me to!! clontarf, keep in touch, and anybody else out there if your interested lets get the ball rolling, step up and have your say!!

Thanks for the reply beerbluemoon. I live in Ballybough and although I have a lovely city garden, it's only for flowers/plants etc. I am very interested in being able to grow our own vegetables/herbs etc. Plus I know it's a hobby I would gain immense pleasure from as my dear departed Dad had a huge vegetable plot in Artane in his own garden and I have so many happy memories of shelling peas and digging up spuds with him and would love our daughter to have the same experiences. Will keep an eye on the boards here to see what transpires! It would be great if something came of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fionn67

Hi

Its St Annes Park, right on the front (near the wongs corner) there is some wild grassland very underused , everyday I pass it I think it would make a wonderful location for some allotments

Be quite happy to help with any work needed to move this along...if interested pm me or let me know and will give you an e-mail addy

Just back from Poland where I feasted on fresh strawberries, peas tomatoes and even walnuts and hazelnuts from my girlfriends parents allotment..... so jealous .... .....the sense of community not to mention the wide variety of plants/uses (and peoples devotion and love to their plots !!!!) was breathtaking.....ah well ...some day!!!

Hi there,

I grew up playing in St.Annes and know the meadow you are talking about. It's true that it's very underused, but I wonder whether or not it's fallow on purpose to provide a habitat for butterflies, field mice and insects etc? It's a huge meadow though so maybe the Parks Dept would be willing to have some of it in allotments. What a great location too! It would be wonderful to be able to work some land in my old haunt!

That's a really good idea about the magazine article BeerBlueMoon!
    I'm based in D13 but really near the coast so D3 is also fine for me. In fact I grew up in Fairview and went to school in Clontarf!
    Are either of you familiar with the land along the Alfie Byrne road that meets the sea? I think there might be some football pitches on top but i bet there is plenty of land there for allotments and it's usually a right state too so would benefit from something constructive being done to it.

• Advertisement

hello all, think there is about 7/8 of us interested judging by posts, do any of you know anybody else? maybe i should put an add in the garden magazine with an email address so people could register their interest?? form a group? approach council? only when we approach them will we know where we stand! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Advertisement