Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Red Cross/Order of Malta/St. John Ambulance

Options
  • 11-03-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here from the Red Cross or want to know more about getting involved??
    Or if your location was such that Order of Malta or St John Ambulance was in, then I am sure one of my boards colleagues can assist. Volunteers needed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

What unit you in Driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ANyone out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

What does volunteering involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

It usually involves participating in regular training sessions with your local group, usually one evening a week (plus occasional extra sessions, for example if you wish to do more advanced courses), and then participating in various public duties in the areas of first aid, community care, patient transport and so on. The organisations are all very much volunteer-oriented and you shouldn't be put under any obligation or pressure to do more duties than you are comfortable with or happy doing. If you're interested I'd advise contacting a group in your area, most are very happy to have people come down for a night to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

St. John Ambulance in Cork are always looking for volunteers.

Visit our new site at:

St John Ambulance, Cork City, Ireland. First Aid and Ambulance Unit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Indeed Driver, Anyone who wants to know about the Order of Malta Can contact me here or via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask.

So what kinds of duties has everyone been on?

Personally, I've done mostly cycle races in north dublin with my OMAC unit lately and the odd football match. What has everyone else been up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What's the difference between the three groups? Would like to volunteer and advance my first aid skills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

depnds alot on what you want, where you are and the unit you join,

CD do alot of rescue and fire
    RC have a nice uniform, decent enough fleet
    OMAC have a better social side,
    SJA limited and seen as the smallest of the 3 main vols, but can be better dependin on your area,decent enough fleet although small.

also crowds like the red cross do more than ambulance work, collect for disasters, community work, OMAC do lourds work, SJA are all ambu AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

SJA Dublin covers the following on a regular basis:

RDS (Concerts,Rugby, Horse Show)
    Croke Park (GAA,FAI,IRFU and concerts jointly with OMAC)
    Dalymount (Bohs)
    Inchicore (St Pats)
    UCD (soccer)

However HSE normally take it upon themselves to transport casualties no matter how minor the injury.:mad:

We also provide First Aid and/or Ambulance coverage at a lot of local events throughout the county.

SJA Cork , I can't answer for but have a look at their website www.stjohnambulance.ie for more details

• Advertisement

maglite wrote: »
    depnds alot on what you want, where you are and the unit you join,

Well I'd like to get more involved in the community and advance my first aid skills and meet people! I live in North Dublin.

What organisation is CD? Civil Defence?

Larianne wrote: »
    Well I'd like to get more involved in the community and advance my first aid skills and meet people! I live in North Dublin.

Theres Plenty of Order of Malta Units in North Dublin Cabra, Marino, Swords, Ballygall, Palmerstown, Raheny, Clonsilla, Clondalkin To name but a few

It really depends which unit you join you will of course get your basic training but some units are more involved in community care and less on the First Aid side vice versa

More info Click Here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Larianne wrote: »
    Got it in one, see the Dublin CD website.

And for the sake of completion, SJA divisions in north Dublin include Crumlin, Raheny, Castleknock and Finglas, with others around the city centre. You should be able to get contact details via the secretary at the national HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JemimaPD

Hey im just wondering if any volunteering is available in longford. I dont think the Order of Malta have a section there but am wondering what else is available. Ive done an occupational first aid course and loved doing it. I really want to develop my skill further but havent the first clue who to contact first. I did send an email off to St. Johns Ambulance a year ago when i first thought of it but never heard anything back.

Anyone out there to help me plz?

looks like it will be Order of Malta for me. Thanks very much for your replies everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Currently the order of malta does not have a unit in Longford:( Athlone and Mullingar would probably be the nearest units to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

JemimaPD wrote: »
    Hey im just wondering if any volunteering is available in longford. I dont think the Order of Malta have a section there but am wondering what else is available. Ive done an occupational first aid course and loved doing it. I really want to develop my skill further but havent the first clue who to contact first. I did send an email off to St. Johns Ambulance a year ago when i first thought of it but never heard anything back.

Anyone out there to help me plz?

Hiya, I'm an Officer in SJA and firstly i'd like to apologise for the non-reply.

SJA does not have a Division in Longford sadly so Red Cross or Civil Defense seems your options

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JemimaPD

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Hiya, I'm an Officer in SJA and firstly i'd like to apologise for the non-reply.

SJA does not have a Division in Longford sadly so Red Cross or Civil Defense seems your options

Thanks a million sgt.bilko for ur reply, I'll try Civil Defense

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Keep in mind it is one of the objectives of the Order Of Malta to have at least one unit in every county in Ireland eventually - this is already happening so keep an eye out in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

To all sja members sorry to hear about the passing of Gerry Shortall i am sure he will be missed by all ye guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

moose112 wrote: »
    To all sja members sorry to hear about the passing of Gerry Shortall i am sure he will be missed by all ye guys.
    and our Commisoner Derek L Robinson who tragically passed away in an RTA on the 6th of June, may he RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

St. John Ambulance in Cork are always looking for volunteers.

Visit our new site at:

St John Ambulance, Cork City, Ireland. First Aid and Ambulance Unit

Just to let ye know that Cork are running a first aid course on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd of September. It is fully accredited..

Contact them via the contact us link or get details by visiting:
    First Aid Course

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Hi I would love to do some volunteering for any of these organisations, I'm in Laois is there anything there??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Order of Malta have a very , very well run and active unit in Portlaoise if you want to PM me I will give you the number of the officer in charge there who is a very nice guy and will give you all the information you need.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Miju, would you have any idea who to contact fr info on the Dublin Order of Malta?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

where abouts in Dublin dory?

dory wrote: »
    Miju, would you have any idea who to contact fr info on the Dublin Order of Malta?

Contact you're Local unit Click Relevent Region.

http://www.orderofmalta.ie/what-we-do.asp?id=15&cid=144

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

miju wrote: »
    where abouts in Dublin dory?

Sorry about the delayed reply. I only just moved in here in Inchicore about a week ago, so I didn't have an answer for you back in September! Wasn't sure where I was going to end up.
    So it looks like it's going to be Order of Malta for me. The Inchicore unit is a perfect time for me, Sunday mornings, but it seems to only be for young people (I'm too old at 24). They're connected with Drimnagh, but I work Tuesday when they meet.
    So, next up for me would be Clondalkin, the only ones who meet on my night off. Does anyone know anything about this division? What they do etc? I'd be more interested in the Bingo nights and general work with elderly than standing at a concert. But I know it's not exactly the volunteering spirit to declare a preference. :o
    Any info would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

dory wrote: »
    Sorry about the delayed reply. I only just moved in here in Inchicore about a week ago, so I didn't have an answer for you back in September! Wasn't sure where I was going to end up.
    So it looks like it's going to be Order of Malta for me. The Inchicore unit is a perfect time for me, Sunday mornings, but it seems to only be for young people (I'm too old at 24). They're connected with Drimnagh, but I work Tuesday when they meet.
    So, next up for me would be Clondalkin, the only ones who meet on my night off. Does anyone know anything about this division? What they do etc? I'd be more interested in the Bingo nights and general work with elderly than standing at a concert. But I know it's not exactly the volunteering spirit to declare a preference. :o
    Any info would be appreciated!

Clondalkin unit it a great one, really friendly people I'm sure you'll fit right in. If you ring the officer in charge (details on orderofmalta.ie) she will tell you all about it. I'm not sure what community duties they do as each unit is different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

Do any of these organisations operate in the Castlebar region. I would be interested in gaining first aid experience and to give a little back to the community.

Advertisement