Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigma 70-300 dg macro

Options
  • 25-02-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Has anyone every tried one of theses lens and what are they like?? Im in two minds about buying one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Jon061 wrote: »
    Has anyone every tried one of theses lens and what are they like?? Im in two minds about buying one

For the price it's a great lens had one a while back when a I shot was film.

For a first TP lens it's great too.

For serious work it's not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've got one on my D50 and its great if you can live with the f/4-5.6 aperture! I don't think you could expect it to be any better for the price to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Super starter lens and I got some great shots out of it.

Wide open
    IMG_64952904.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jon061

Nice photo!. Well I have to the chance to buy a secondhand mint condition sigma 28-300mm DL hyperzoom lens or would i be better of going with the 70-300 dg macro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I had a sigma superzoom 28-300 3.5-6.3 about 5 years ago. thought it would be the all rounder lens. Big mistake. Slow to focus, cr@p apertures, heavy, big, not sharp, cr@p minimum focussing distance (it wasnt the macro version sigma brought out afterwards) and I ended up hardly ever using it. I've used and seen results with the Sigma 70-300's and for the money, they cant be beaten. There are different versions of them so try to get the newest version you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

The 70-300 as others have said is a great lens for the money - in terms of quality/price you probably won't do better. Sure it won't stand up to comparison to a 70-200 f2.8L, but costs a fraction. If you can limit it to less than 200mm, say 230mm at a stretch, it can be very sharp. Longer focal lengths are a bit soft, but still acceptable. It's reasonably handy as a close up lens (ignore the "macro" tag Sigma stick on practically every lens the make - this'll do 1/2 life size).

I'd be wary of superzooms - they always have some sort of a compromise, and you can't produce something with this range of focal lengths without some serious compromises, probably at the trickier wide end. 28mm also won't be very wide on a crop sensor DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ladgie353

Quick question, is it the APO version of the zoom?
    It is usually slightly more expensive but really worth it.
    With the right amount of light, that lens gives stunning pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Jon061 wrote: »
    I have this lens which is APO & it's a disaster. Images are very soft & not worth buying. I have used it with the Nikon D70 & D80 & the same thing. I stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I used the APO version of this lens with a Canon 350D and still occasionally do. I've never used the macro function on it but from a zoom point of view, up to about 250mm it's an excellent lens.

Examples of it are scattered all over my flickr.

Here's one taken with a 70-300 APO at 300mm:

2190912366_e3de1a096d_b.jpg

That was taken the day after I bought both my camera and lens too!

• Advertisement

wasper wrote: »
    I have this lens which is APO & it's a disaster. Images are very soft & not worth buying. I have used it with the Nikon D70 & D80 & the same thing. I stay away from it.

You may have a bad example, as my experience, and that of lots of others show otherwise. Yes it's a bit soft at 300mm, yes it's a bit slow, but below 230mm with decent light, it performs very well for the price, and is exactly where I'd send somebody looking for a decent first long lens. Sure it's not going to measure up to a pro spec Canon or Nikon 70-200mm f2.8, but neither does it cost €1500.

If your lens is still under guarantee and as bad as you say it is, I'd get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

wasper wrote: »

I wouldn't agree at all... I have this lens and find it great - once it has enough light and it's kept steady...

wide open at 300mm on a tripod (and sharpened from RAW)

2145551067_74e4b06ded_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Fabulous photograph, Beef. I am envious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Which would be a better lens , the Canon IS EF 70-300 f4/5.6 or the
    Sigma 70-300 DG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭positron

Sigma APO. However you will soon grow out of it and will start looking at L series lenses. :D

Why is it cheaper then ? and can i use SIGMA lenses with the Canon EOS 400d ?

Yes you can. Sigma make lenses for a bunch of different manufacturer mounts, mainly their own and Nikon and Canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I used to have one, back in my film days & I found it to be a great lens for the price. Never had a problem with it. I traded it in, because I was predominantly covering sport & wanted something faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

I had a 70-300 dg macro at one stage..

Great lens, but had a small accident with it, heavily put my camera bag down, with lens still attached to camera, snapped off..

I bought it for 130 a while ago, and replaced it with a Canon 75-300 USM II Ultrasonic.. Grand lenses, although I think the sigma was faster focusing..

jackdaw wrote: »
    Why is it cheaper then ?
    Partly because if you buy a Canon you're buying a brand (not that Sigma isn't a brand - but you get the idea). There's not a significant amount in the price difference between these two lenses (don't confuse the APO lens with the confusingly similarly named, but cheaper and inferior DL lens which most probably isn't better than the Canon)

• Advertisement

OK so i finally got the Canon IS 70 - 300 f4-5.6

I have taken a few pics with it ..

very happy so far ...

next ill get the f1.8 nifty fifty :)

and to replace the kit lens i might splash out on an L lens ,
    any recomendations ?

(17-50ish range..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Went into town yesterday to do some lens research for my Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel). Came home with this great lens.

This is the very first attempt, taken in dull evening light, hand held.
    With a tripod and using the macro setting, it's going to give hours of activity.

I couldn't have been more pleased with Conns Cameras, as usual.2443279247_b0f15c1c73.jpg

2456138051_032b6ff275.jpg

After a bit of practice, things are looking brighter.
    It's a nice lens to use.

This may be of use.http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KEac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

positron wrote: »
    Sigma APO. However you will soon grow out of it and will start looking at L series lenses. :D

You see that right there is my predicament right now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm afraid I might have just caught the bug. I went out yesterday with my new (to me) 70-200 F4 and looking at the images last night, I'm amazed at how much detail it can resolve, compared to 'ordinary' lenses.

2459134280_ae1d65bc7d.jpg

Click on this for the full size image - I'm very impressed with the amount of detail in the middle part of the image...

I can forsee a 17-40 F4 L in my future :D

Gradually getting to grips with this new experience.
    Using a tripod, this lens works well extended to 300mm, I find.
    Without a tripod, flowers can be a bit soft, expecially as there was a wind blowing today, which caused blurring as they moved gently in the frame.

2468588972_61b748b502.jpg[/URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2468588972/

Sebzy wrote: »

For serious work it's not the best.

While a professional would need to buy a sharper lens, a serious amateur will get good results, I think.

[IMG][/img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2473540984/2473540984_457b56de85.jpg

I have found that adding a diopter to this lens works quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Is the APO version worth the extra €80 or whatever it is?

Advertisement