Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow tonight especially in the North and Northwest

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

There is a snow risk tonight for Connaught and Ulster - higher levels at first but later lower levels too at risk. Rain eslewhere - some sleet possible. Temperatures dropping to near freezing in the North. 3 - 5C more typical further south. A frontal system will straddle the northern half of the country tonight so accumulations are likely if you have snow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Forecast on metcheck just changed to sleet/snow for the night.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I doubt much snow will fall outside of Connaught or Ulster tonight as the Low pressure is on a journey from Galway to Edinborogh via Malin Head. The cold pool of air bringing snow to the far west at the moment is associated with this low pressure, we could have some interesting beefy showers breaking out in central areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

How bad will it be ,anything like last week coming ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snowing in Knock Airport according to Met Eireann latest reports.
    Wind directions are all over the place countrywide. Easterly at Belmullet.Southerly at Birr and SW'ly over Kerry and Cork. Should be interesting once the Low Pressure moves away.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bit of grizzely sleet interspersed with the odd snowflake right now just outside Sligo. Not accumulating, just sopping wet.

This (from met eireann) has me much more worried:
    Becoming stormy, with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h. Rain clearing to blustery, wintry showers. Risk of thunder

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

dsane1 wrote: »
    How bad will it be ,anything like last week coming ....

Not a chance. Only higher areas really tonight.

Weather warning for those North of the Border

Weather warning for NI

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/...t_warnings.html

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp <<< interesting - a secondary low forms just off the county Down coast meaning that showers will be funnelled across the central plain of Ireland instead of up into the North...

Some snow showers could make it to Meath and Dublin yet...

Loks like this is a "NowCast" event...

Snowing in Knock Airport according to Met Eireann latest reports.
    Wind directions are all over the place countrywide. Easterly at Belmullet.Southerly at Birr and SW'ly over Kerry and Cork. Should be interesting once the Low Pressure moves away.....:)
    Knock airport is at 800ft above sea level though I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Knock airport is at 800ft above sea level though I think

Yep, oxygen mask territory for sure :) Always about a degree or 2 cooler than anywhere else accordingly....

• Advertisement

http://www.met.ie/aviation/knock.asp <<< 205m above sea level. - 600ft or thereabouts. Not really that high. 1c decrease for every 150m climbed. (Unless there is mild upper air :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

thats a severe warning from uk met ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Any chance of snow down south??

Anything snow wise south of a line from Galway to Dundalk would be low-risk IMHO. But I'd keep an eye on the radar and temperatures just in case - it really is a nowcast situation.

Unlikely at the moment. Though its not an impossibility.

Huge differences in the radars from UKMO and MetEireann. On the UKMO, Belfast has torrential downpours, whilst the Dublin radar picks up light rainfall!

Do the Mourne Mountains block that much signal or is the UKMO on overdrive?

Danno wrote: »
    Huge differences in the radars from UKMO and MetEireann. On the UKMO, Belfast has torrential downpours, whilst the Dublin radar picks up light rainfall!

Do the Mourne Mountains block that much signal or is the UKMO on overdrive?

No its the exact same radar supprisingly enough. UKMO has higher resolution though to cover UK and Ireland.

Don't the MetEireann website just use the Shannon and Dublin radars for the image on met.ie whilst the Belfast radar data goes into the UKMO website along with our two radars???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Excellent image- it looks like a perfect low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This discussion has the snowfall potential well handled, mostly on hills and north of the track of the low. It is not heading as far north as some have said here, more like just north of due east.

The main risk for central districts would be severe wind gusts to 80 mph, these are already happening around Galway and may show up around Dublin around 0100-0200 (from due west). Some brief hail squalls likely along the path of these severe winds.

South coast less extreme as this is a very tight low and gradient will be very strong only about 50-100 miles south of the track of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I've seen a lot of cars in Lifford tonight with snow on the roof.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp <<< That low is taking a more inland route and a more southerly one also. If the centre were to move down towards Dublin, then the atlantic feed would be cut off and all the cold air up over the NW would flood south... anyone agree?

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

It seems to be slightly more south alright but I'd doubt very much if that means it's not tracking north.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

That suggests it is tracking north albeit more slowly.

No definite shape to her at all: http://xcweather.co.uk/30m/GB/pressure.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp <<< That low is taking a more inland route and a more southerly one also. If the centre were to move down towards Dublin, then the atlantic feed would be cut off and all the cold air up over the NW would flood south... anyone agree?
    Centre displacement me thinks.
    Inner bands(if you will) are accurate for locating a central core pressure of a system but not always.Bands can somewhat dislodge themselves just to be replaced by new ones on doppler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Track most likely to be near or just south of Belfast to a point just north of Berwick or across the Scottish border region in other words. The strongest winds are likely heading right for Dublin and should arrive there very soon (next 30-60 minutes). Snow is not likely to move south except that there could be some snow showers in the wake of the system although I think hail is the more likely.

Snow on Tuesday afternoon or evening, perhaps, a bit more widespread.

Track most likely to be near or just south of Belfast to a point just north of Berwick or across the Scottish border region in other words. The strongest winds are likely heading right for Dublin and should arrive there very soon (next 30-60 minutes). Snow is not likely to move south except that there could be some snow showers in the wake of the system although I think hail is the more likely.

Snow on Tuesday afternoon or evening, perhaps, a bit more widespread.
    Yep agree. Oh and welcome to the forum,must have missed you posting with all our snow going on's recently. Your input is appreciated just like on another particular forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

wind gusts have really strengthened in last 20 mins here. On netweather they said the worst winds are on their way to Dublin region. Someone in Clare recorded 80mph gusts on that forum. Wind is going to keep me awake.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    Wind is going to keep me awake.
    I'm the opposite,it kinda rocks me and puts me soundly to sleep:p

Advertisement