Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low carb - cos I think I've stalled........

Options
  • 16-11-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Further to a recent post, I wanted to get your opinions on low carbs and fat loss.

Essentially, I know that I have lost some fat as my jeans are looser than they were. Also I have put on a fair bit of muscle which I hope is raising my metabolism = extra fat loss.

My problem is that I do Love Carbs! I love chips, spuds, cereals, bread etc etc. Also, I am a bit down about my results at the minute as I just don't seem to be shifting the belly flab. Also, even though I am training quite hard and frequently it does not seem to be having a big impact, so I can only assume that my diet needs a kick up the arse...for me this would mean stop eating bread and starch carbs.

I do know that with some dedication I can limit them or cut them out though.

So my plan is as follows, and if you have feedback it would be welcome.

1) Limit starch carbs (i.e. not fruit and veg) to directly before and after an intensive workout. These carbs for me would be bread and maybe some potato.

2) For breakfast have porridge + protein shake

3) For lunch have lean meat/fish + lots of veg

4) Afternoon snacks - nuts such as cashews and pecans/pistachios

4) Evening meal = point 1

Plus LOTS of water

However, I do have a question - don't people agree that it would be ok to have a fruit and milk smoothie at breakfast? I know this is sugar but it is natural sugar, plus fruit is actually low in fructose.

The bottom line is I plan to limit carbs (bread, pasta) to training times, but feel that it is ok to have some fruit in the morning. I guess it's more a trial and error approach though - I might give them up and eat whole fruit in the morning instead (absorbed less quickly than smoothies). Also, why is it okay to have porridge (slow-releasing carb) for breakfast, but not wholegrain toast (also a slow-releasing carb????) I have noticed people won't go near bread for fat loss but have no problem eating porridge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

In the same boat as yourself - but I differ in that I try and get all my carbs into me between breakfast and lunch/afternoon snack- in other words no carbs for dinner at all

So far its working ok for me - although the massive pots of spag bol, or meat and potatoes are tormenting me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Because calling something wholemeal doesn't necessarily mean much. Bread is still bread and is pretty crap.

I would agree with the above that I've found getting my carbs in by the afternoon is the best but it's understandable if you train later in the evening to get something in.

I really would avoid the bread though, and white pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

tribulus wrote: »
    Because calling something wholemeal doesn't necessarily mean much. Bread is still bread and is pretty crap.

I really would avoid the bread though, and white pasta.

Thats funny!! avoid white pasta, that means wholemeal pasta is o'k and is the same as the white bread wholemeal bread argument you just made!!

i agree though-cut out the starch and keep the fruit and veg-good carbs ideally making up 5-6 pieces counting veg salad and fruit...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

cowzerp wrote: »
    Thats funny!! avoid white pasta, that means wholemeal pasta is o'k and is the same as the white bread wholemeal bread argument you just made!!

i agree though-cut out the starch and keep the fruit and veg-good carbs ideally making up 5-6 pieces counting veg salad and fruit...

Sorry you're right in the case of pasta, actually in most cases come to think of it...so yeah OP try and get mostly fibrous carbs, I wouldn't be surprised if it kickstarted your results again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    In the same boat as yourself - but I differ in that I try and get all my carbs into me between breakfast and lunch/afternoon snack- in other words no carbs for dinner at all

So far its working ok for me - although the massive pots of spag bol, or meat and potatoes are tormenting me :)

Do you not even eat carbs after a hard workout? This is when you need them most and when I allow myself to eat a fair quantity, to replenish the energy I've used up. I figure if all I eat starch carb wise is bread and it's before or after a workout, plus porridge for breakfast, and the rest is fibrous carbs, then I'm good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

celestial wrote: »
    Do you not even eat carbs after a hard workout? This is when you need them most and when I allow myself to eat a fair quantity, to replenish the energy I've used up. I figure if all I eat starch carb wise is bread and it's before or after a workout, plus porridge for breakfast, and the rest is fibrous carbs, then I'm good?

Nope, normally I time my workout to be followed by a protein shake, and then when I get home, usually more protein/veg - tuna salad springs to mind.

I know others will say (even yourself) to eat carbs after workout - but because I train in the evening, I need to avoid carbs from 6pm onwards (carbs are my one weakness, breads, pasta, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Agree with above - keep it simple and accept what works for you now.

Yes have porridge for breakfast and no to smoothie with milk in it.

Just drop the bread and pasta totally.

Skimming around the edges of the carbfree pool will get you feck all results just jump in a give it a honest effort.

Transform wrote: »
    Agree with above - keep it simple and accept what works for you now.

Yes have porridge for breakfast and no to smoothie with milk in it.

Just drop the bread and pasta totally.

Skimming around the edges of the carbfree pool will get you feck all results just jump in a give it a honest effort.

Yep agree with you there. But, Transform - do you not think carbs after a workout are ok? As in a couple slices of bread with meat/tuna? I know that you are meant to refuel with protein AND carbs after training.....other than that the only starch carbs I'll be having is porridge.

No no no.

Again drop the bread totally. Having it after the workout will only act as a temptation for future dips into stodge.

Post workout -
    protein drink with banana
    Piece of fruit with nuts
    Nut butter on ryvita (only the ones with oats and pumpkin/sunflower seeds 2-3 of them)
    Or proper meal with lots of veg and protein

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

No no no.

Again drop the bread totally. Having it after the workout will only act as a temptation for future dips into stodge.

Post workout -
    protein drink with banana
    Piece of fruit with nuts
    Nut butter on ryvita (only the ones with oats and pumpkin/sunflower seeds 2-3 of them)
    Or proper meal with lots of veg and protein

I'm interested to hear this. Recently I was wondering what I should be eating when I finish in the gym at 10pm most evenings.

Usually I would have a protein shake on the walk home, followed by a 135g (drained) can of tuna. I had worried that I should be getting some carbs in too to aid recovery and muscle building?

Transform, you reckon no carbs until the next mornings porridge?

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm interested to hear this. Recently I was wondering what I should be eating when I finish in the gym at 10pm most evenings.

Usually I would have a protein shake on the walk home, followed by a 135g (drained) can of tuna. I had worried that I should be getting some carbs in too to aid recovery and muscle building?

Transform, you reckon no carbs until the next mornings porridge?

Well, banana, Ryvita, vegetables are all carbs..they're (apart from Ryvita) just fibrous rather than starchy carbs which won't raise blood sugar as much and are not as calorific as bread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

BossArky wrote: »
    ...you reckon no carbs until the next mornings porridge?

Absolutely wrong, your body needs to replace the glycogen. Get some fruit or raw veg into you with the din-dins. The more fibrous, the better. Remember, not all carbs are bad. Just the ones from processed foods. Well, not exclusively them but you see where I'm going.

Also, Celestial, bananas arn't that fibrous so beware. With regards card choices you have to ask your self which is more important, a few slices of bread or a flat tummy? The choice is yours.

Absolutely wrong, your body needs to replace the glycogen. Get some fruit or raw veg into you with the din-dins. The more fibrous, the better. Remember, not all carbs are bad. Just the ones from processed foods. Well, not exclusively them but you see where I'm going.

Also, Celestial, bananas arn't that fibrous so beware. With regards card choices you have to ask your self which is more important, a few slices of bread or a flat tummy? The choice is yours.

Good point, and a no-brainer. However, I felt that a couple of slices of bread after a hard training session would simply go towards replacing the glycogen stores, rather than potentially being stored as fat - which would make eating bread after training okay?

How many times do you have to hear the same info?

Drop the feckin bread? Or are you waiting for someone to come on to say its fine to have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

If your serious about weight loss, you should try and get your carb sources from fibrous fruit and raw vegetables. To be honest you can justify anything to yourself. Ask yourself this, based on the knowledge you have and from the stickies, would you advise your friend to eat fruit or bread?

Ultimately, it won't kill you to have bread from time to time and it'll definitely keep you sane, which will make sticking with your regime, in the broader sense easier, but if you want the best result from your engine, put the best fuel you can into it.

Thanks for all the input which has prompted me to make the right changes - check out my post in Fitness Logs if you like - your feedback and thoughts are welcome.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54455411#post54455411

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Again drop the bread totally....

Is it the wheat in bread thats the problem? I am eating porridge oat pancakes a lot these days. If bread is in the house I eat it way too quick, too easy to eat. If I have to make pancakes I have to take time out to do it, so might think twice. They are simply oats, water & egg-dunno what you think of that, it is mainly PWO and in the mornings. Maybe a little maple syrup on top, might try and get some other topping.

But if ryvita is OK would bread made from grains other than wheat be OK?

No simple answer - just try it yourself and monitor the results i.e. body fat, weight etc

If there were one food to give up permantly IF YOU HAVE WEIGHT ISSUES it would be bread - and no you don't eat **** loads of ryvita instead (guy 3-4, woman 2) per meal

Advertisement