Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punt guns

Options
  • 14-11-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with them legally in Ireland?

Comments

Is that the blunderbus-in-a-boat thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wouldn't say they are illegal, just a large shotgun, but what do you plan on telling your FO?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i hope dick cheney doesn't get his hands on one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well definitly don't tell him sailors used to call it a "murderer". Apparently these things used to be lethal at short range loaded with grapeshot... .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

That would be the one Zaraba :)

Kowloon, I don't intend getting one, I was just curious as I saw a pic of one recently.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, my mistake. I think I was mixing it up with what was called a falconet

:eek:Revan, that is one hell of a cool video :D

Does anyone know of these being licenced here?

How would they compare to a 10 or 8 gauge shotgun ?

Watched another video just now and one of the guys says the punt gun in that vid is eleven feet long and weighs 140 pounds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Good for Zombies :D

Good link Revan.

You're spot on there Kowloon, be handy incase of zombie attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Hi John,

I don't think there legal here, (??) up NI they are used, "mallards' can fill in the blanks.

Punt-gunning , also known as "float-gunning" or wild-fowling afloat.

"Irish Tom"

2027433111_309c2b5e70_b.jpg

2027441771_4acb5c5011_b.jpg

For a bit of perspective, Irish Tom, fired a service charge of fifty ounces, roughly equal to a box of heavy 12 bore wildfowling cartridges.

Irish Tom is 14 feet 1 3/4 inches (4.31m) of punt gun, weighing 300lbs (136kg) and once firing 3lb 2oz (1.4kg) of shot, propelled by 10 ounces (283g) of black powder.

Below, a Holland and Holland punt gun.

2022546788_1db0ae8a38.jpg

"Irish Tom" historic punt gun to be put on permanent display

09/10/01 > Immediate release

Irish Tom - an awesome piece of shooting history is to be put on permanent display at the headquarters of the British Association of Shooting and Conservation in Rossett.

Irish Tom is 14 feet 1 3/4 inches (4.31m) of punt gun, weighing 300lbs (136kg) and once firing 3lb 2oz (1.4kg) of shot, propelled by 10 ounces (283g) of black powder.

In the 1930s the gun was bought from a professional wildfowler in Ireland by Stanley Duncan, founder of BASC's predecessor WAGBI (The Wildfowlers' Association of Great Britain and Ireland). It was regularly used by by Stanley Duncan from 1936 until the second world war. After that it was acquired and used by actor James Robertson Justice during his many wildfowling exploits on the Wash. It even spent a night at the bottom of the river Welland, to be retrieved at low tide the next day. For a number of years the gun was lost, but is believed to have had a brief incarnation as a builder's scaffolding pole. Now of too large a bore to shoot waterfowl legally, it was rediscovered in an Inverness boatyard in 1981 and restored before being presented to BASC.

Keen southcoast wildfowler Lee Freeston has raised funds from fellow wildfowlers across the country to put Irish Tom on permanent display, with the final amount needed coming from the recent East Coast Wildfowlers' Conference. The conference also donated £100 to the Wildlife Habitat Trust, the conservation fund for sporting shooting in the U.K., which has so far made possible the investment of over £1m in land and habitat conservation.

Tony Laws, Director of Conservation at BASC said "We are delighted that the East Coast Wildfowling Conference has made these two important contributions. One will allow the final preservation of part of our sporting heritage, the second will contribute to the future of our sport and our countryside"

ENDS.

Note to editors: Pictures available. Irish Tom has a diameter of 2 1/32 inches at the muzzle and 2 1/16 inches at the breech. It was originally muzzle-loaded before restoration.

For more details contact Simon Clarke BASC Press office 01244 573026

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/34irishtom34

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Well done lads , that is what this forum is all about , a interesting question with good feedback and a cracking post from DB , :D:D:D

seems like it's on a par with using dynamite for fishing :confused:

Thanks Les,
    Irish Tom was / is some piece of work. :)

………”With fiery burst,
    The unexpected death invades the flock;
    Tumbling they lie, and beat the flashing waves,
    Whilst those remoter from the fatal range
    Of the swift shot, mount up on vig’rous wing,
    And wake the sleeping echoes as they fly.”

Photo is of a modern punt, gun and of course gunner taken on the wash in N. Scotland. That is a four bore single shot he has in his hands.

2022040149_359ee73db2_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

I may be greatly incorrect but I believe there is a couple of them on the walls in Durty Nellys in Bunratty, I could be wrong though, I have not been there in years.
    They were probably used on the Shannon estuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

revan23 wrote: »

Pictures Neo going to collect a piece of fox left after JG uses his punt gun :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Colin Willock wrote this book back in the 60's about building, equipping and operating a punt gun.

If you want to know about Punt Gunning it's a great read as indeed are all his books - especially the shooting ones. He died a couple of years ago and the prices of his first editions have sky rocketed:eek:

If you are a child of the 60's or 70's you will remember the "Survival" wildlife programmes which were produced and sometimes written by him:cool:

He contributed to to Shooting Times for many years as "Town Gun"

Incidentially, ahem, if anyone has "Death at the Strike" by him gathering dust on their bookshelves I would be prepared to offer it a good home and ongoing companionship with the rest of my collection of his books ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Pictures Neo going to collect a piece of fox left after JG uses his punt gun :D:D

Would make for an easy dissection anyway. Aslong as I can figure out which pieces are what wouldnt even need a scalpel:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

my grandfather used to shoot with one going back 50 years ago. he would tell tales of going out on the bog and firing onto the water and wathching the dogs retreiving bird upon bird just after one shot.

Would make for an easy dissection anyway. Aslong as I can figure out which pieces are what wouldnt even need a scalpel:o

I'd put the remains in a box for ya Neo and print out a picture of a fox to stick on the lid, be just like a jigsaw!

Actually, I've been greycrow bashing mostly this last while and read about punt guns on another site. Be handy over some bait :cool: Was never a runner, just a mad notion.

Get another few lads with you John and you could start the Galway Light Artillery..

Lol, not a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Just a touch on the unethical side lads, wouldn't you say?
    They were pretty popular on the Chesapeake Bay back home (well before my time mind you!!) with the meat hunters of the 1800s. Plenty of accounts of whole flocks being wiped out with one shot.
    Now you see them only in museums - rightly so in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

No bother getting FAc for the gun, tis the powder that's the problem for the muzzle loaders adn you would to reload the smaller 8 and 4 bore cartridge variety as I dont think they are commercialy loaded afaik

the afghani equivalent - rpg fishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg4bcaIXKHU

You're right, powder would likely be the biggest problem. I'd not thought of that.

• Advertisement

Durty Nellys, Chesapeake Bay, "Death at the Strike", Folkard, H&H, Irish Tom, Ralph Payne Galwey, Shannon Estuary, pounds of shot and black powder. Eclectic. :cool:

Very Interesting Old Gun Room don't ya think.

2034776184_b7da32aa05_o.jpg

Advertisement