Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Intervarsity Poker Tournament 2007

Options
  • 01-11-2007 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

UL poker Society is proud to announce the Irish Intervarsity Poker Tournament 2007 to be held in Limerick.

DETAILS :

Date : 25th November 2007

Venue : Kilmurrey Lodge Hotel, Castletroy, Limerick.
    Details on how to get to the event can be found on www.kilmurrylodge.com

Time : Sign-in at 12pm, Gameplay commences at 1pm

Type : NL Texas Hold'em (FREEZEOUT)

Entry Fee : €300 per team
    - €100 team registration +
    - €20 per player (€18 Prizepool and €2 reg fee)

Prizepool : There is a 10% payout of overall turnout (ie if 120 players = then 12 payout places)

Prerequesites : Teams are made up of 10 players. They must be students in that team's college.
    A max of 2 teams per college.
    There must be a *manager per team (may have one manager for the two college teams).
    This is PRE-REGISTRATION event ONLY. Contact us ASAP!

Chips : White = 50, Red = 100, Blue = 500, Green = 1000, Black = 5000, Yellow = 10000, "TBC" = 25000.
    Starting Chips will be 8000.

Blinds : 20 minute blinds for first 4 hours and 30 minutes thereafter.
    Structure, 50-100, 100-200, 150-300, 200-400 etc.

Dealers : As there is expected to be a large amount of tables at the start, dealers will still be used but qualified dealers will be used in later stages of event.

Rules : We will have a documented and thoroughly reviewed ruleset ready for event.

Tournament Directors : Liam Duffy - UL Poker Secretary and Stephen Carmody - UL Poker President

Sponsors : We are working on sponsors for event so nothing more on this part.

Although the tournament is an individual event (as regards to payouts etc) it is also a team event. Points are awarded to the top 100 players in the event and as players finish higher they get more points. The team with the most points at the end of the event is crowned the Overall IPT Team Winners, and the college they are representing receives the Trophy.

As this is a college event, only teams representing colleges may play. (If you wish to enter please contact your poker soc and let them know or if your college has no Poker Soc, and you have 10 players, contact us and let us know of your interest.

Closing date for Registration is 9th November (This also includes the €100 deposit of team entry fee, details of Lodgement into Bank on request)

* Manager , Should be a member of the Colleges Poker Soc/Card Soc Committee and their role in the event will be the liaison officer between Event Management and the team pparticipating, to deal with matters that arise through conflict or otherwise that involve ; the college/team/poker soc/players or otherwise, at the event, that requires extra attention or coannot be resolved by the player/staff. They will be obligated to keep all documentaion of the Team and Players on them and upon arriving at the event will be the sole person responsible for Signing-in the team(s)/players.The manager may also have to help in small/large way on the day of event if they want. (Contact me if you would like to help out)

All relevent documentation on event is in the attached files.

For More information or to clarify what has been said on this post please contact :
    Liam Duffy - Tournament Director and Event Organiser by email secretary.pokersoc@gmail.com or phone 0877686384

Other emails, Stephen Carmody - UL Poker President - pres.pokerso@gmail.com
    Michael Coultry - UL Poker Chairman - chairperson.pokersoc@gmail.com
    Matthew Carolan - UL Poker Treasurer - treasurer.pokersoc@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Best of luck with this mate. We're going to be running the National Student Champs at the end of January so we will send down some literature about it if thats ok.

A quick piece of advice as regards the above post. There is no reason to let players know what the colour denominations of the chips are at this early stage....You leave yourself wide open to cheats if they know that you are not using a branded chip, which it seems is the case (apologies if you do have branded chips).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

carfax wrote: »
    Best of luck with this mate. We're going to be running the National Student Champs at the end of January so we will send down some literature about it if thats ok.

On in January and not 1 thread yet, not on form Stephen!

I would like to play this one, think dcu are sending a team down so have to see can I get on it and wake up in time..

cooker3 wrote: »
    On in January and not 1 thread yet, not on form Stephen!

You were one of many people asking me to stop spamming up this place....I do that and now you make fun of me.....Oh well its back to my old ways soon enough so, and its all your fault :)

Probably actually gonna be late Feb for the Student Champs......

Are you going to travel to Limerick to fold your way into the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Are you going to travel to Limerick to fold your way to the bubble

Fyp and yes I hopefully will be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

UL poker Society is proud to announce the Irish Intervarsity Poker Tournament 2007 to be held in Limerick.
    Probably actually gonna be late Feb for the Student Champs

This is amazing, in the space of just 13 months, IT Tallaght are gonna win 3 intervarsities!!

• Advertisement

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    This is amazing, in the space of just 13 months, IT Tallaght are gonna win 3 intervarsities!!

The student champs isn't an intervarsities really now Pat, come on. Its open to anyone studying (by the way this year we'll be making 100% sure that every player is a student).

Have to stop myself from going off topic here.....Just a quick thought, is this a one day event? If so you may need to allow play continue up until about 4am.

The student champs isn't an intervarsities really now Pat, come on. Its open to anyone studying

As captain of the current team event champions of ireland, I'll call the student champs whatever the hell i want! :p:p:p

As captain of the current team event champions of ireland, I'll call the student champs whatever the hell i want! :p:p:p

lol, fair enough. I can see you are still basking in the success :D

This year you have to have actual students on your team. That DITtag fella is defo not allowed.

*slap on the wrists for myself for bringing this off topic*..... I promised myself I wouldn't start any new threads until the end of the week at least :)

That DITtag fella is defo not allowed.
    QUOTE]

thats was just a misunderstanding when he was registering for boards, it was supposed the be: D-ITT-ag (as in The ITT Aggression)

:D:D:D

€20 per player entry and €10 per player reg? Bit steep isn't it on the reg side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll try my best to send a WIT team up, although it's very short notice and we've not yet been fully established.
    €20 per player entry and €10 per player reg? Bit steep isn't it on the reg side?

Is this a fundraising event for UL Poker Soc?

Type : NL Texas Hold'em (FREEZEOUT)

Entry Fee : €300 per team
    - €100 team registration +
    - €20 per player (€18 Prizepool and €2 reg fee)

I'd say that it means the €100 team regestration is the the team event prizepool

So the break down would be: €18 per person into the individual prizepool, €2 reg for chips, cards etc and €10 per person for team event prizepool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Just to throw my 2c in the ring. I'm a student in UL and dont play poker there! I dont know either the secretary/ pres etc, but would not have total confidence going from past experience at games run in UL. The poker soc is not the best organised from what I can see - how many students even know that it exists, where are the leaflets, emails etc etc advertising weekly games. Example in point being the "team" for the student champs last yr, in the run up to it individual people were emailing stephen about it as the UL Poker Soc was no where to be found! In the end, I dont even know if there was such a team.

The last game I played at in UL the TD did not even know what was going on!! Are you going to post up the full list of rules in advance?

Dont mean to come across as overly negative, but thats how I see poker in UL the past few yrs.
    Is this a fundraising event for UL Poker Soc?
    I'd say that it means the €100 team regestration is the the team event prizepool

So the break down would be: €18 per person into the individual prizepool, €2 reg for chips, cards etc and €10 per person for team event prizepool

Tbh, I would not be surprised if this was indeed a way of making money for the UL committee members (sorry, for the poker soc....;))

I havent had the best of experiences with poker in UL and refuse to even play there at this stage. Last tiem I did was a rebuy, where 90% payout of the initial buy-in was paid out, and the remaining 10% plus topup plus buyback were retained.......

One last thing, I'm sure that if you ask nicely s/o here would be able to point you in the right direction re sponsorship etc.

Best of luck with it, altho I doubt that I shall be playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭R__J

8k and 20 mins levels, you would want to seriously reconsider your structure if you want to get anywhere near 120 runners! good luck though as it is a good concept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ULPOKERSOCIETY

I take the complaints about the Society before, We were a shambles last year as it was only one person doing all the work(and that person wasnt very committed). This year however we are finally hitting our stride and things seem to be falling into place. We have a full committee of people who are willling to do stuff. Our president is on the Clubs & Societies Executive Committee(the people who make most of the policy that governs clubs and socs) and the Student Union Executive.
    Our games still have to obey the university laws for another 3 weeks so the games do tend to be rushed but that will all change. Freezeouts will be alot more common semester 2 - There is one on Monday.

Stephen Carmody
    UL Poker Society President
    UL Societies Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ghost-snot

do gmit have a team? i wanna be on it, havent heard anything about poker in gmit, does anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

il put myself forward for the gmit team also , there is no poker there at all this year , think the lads who were running it last year might have graduated or something , no sign of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

R__J wrote: »
    8k and 20 mins levels, you would want to seriously reconsider your structure if you want to get anywhere near 120 runners! good luck though as it is a good concept!
    The structure looks just a TAD crapshooty alright.

Regarding the Blinds structure I understand where you are coming from but we have only one day at the event we could not book the second day :S and are on a tight timeframe we have tried to keep it tournament style while not trying to rush it (ALL IN FRENZY). It was done through a formula made out for a one day event but that was for 20 minute blinds. For the first 2 hours the blinds should not damage even tight players. We have pretty much a 10-11 hour usage of venue for play and i DO NOT want the game to be decided on "who has most chips" time limit so this blindsystem is meeting it halfway in terms of fairness.

As with the costs, yes it is steep and yes it looks like we are trying to make a fast buck, but the costs of fiirst time running this event are quite substancial. The purchase of New Chips (which we hope to have labeles/stamped to make the event more "professional" and to stop the cheating). The venue and setup alone will cost close to €1k , we are getting pro dealers in at later stages also and the equipment that will be bought, and trophies etc just to name a few. At the end of the day this event is NOT a fundraising event for UL or Profit Making event for UL, we just want to hold an intervarsity tournament and hope to keep it running every year and to have good feedback from it so next year we can plan better and improve.

Liam Duffy
    UL Poker Society Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

As with the costs, yes it is steep and yes it looks like we are trying to make a fast buck, but the costs of fiirst time running this event are quite substancial.

Can we get some clarification on whether the €100 team registration goes towards a team prizepool or is just an additional registration fee?

If it does amount to registration it means essentially the tourney has an €18 + €12 buy-in which seems a bit heavy on the reg imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I will organise a team from UCD. Will PM you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Regarding the Blinds structure I understand where you are coming from but we have only one day at the event we could not book the second day :S and are on a tight timeframe we have tried to keep it tournament style while not trying to rush it (ALL IN FRENZY). It was done through a formula made out for a one day event but that was for 20 minute blinds. For the first 2 hours the blinds should not damage even tight players. We have pretty much a 10-11 hour usage of venue for play and i DO NOT want the game to be decided on "who has most chips" time limit so this blindsystem is meeting it halfway in terms of fairness.

As with the costs, yes it is steep and yes it looks like we are trying to make a fast buck, but the costs of fiirst time running this event are quite substancial. The purchase of New Chips (which we hope to have labeles/stamped to make the event more "professional" and to stop the cheating). The venue and setup alone will cost close to €1k , we are getting pro dealers in at later stages also and the equipment that will be bought, and trophies etc just to name a few. At the end of the day this event is NOT a fundraising event for UL or Profit Making event for UL, we just want to hold an intervarsity tournament and hope to keep it running every year and to have good feedback from it so next year we can plan better and improve.

Liam Duffy
    UL Poker Society Secretary
    Ahh with the blinds, you get 80BB to start off with, you skip the 75/150 level to boot with 20 min blinds. Bit steep but GL with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

meh, its a p1ss up anyway.

The idea of this event was for college's Poker Socs/clubs to enter a team into the event. The Poker Soc's would have to pay the €100 team entry fee (which was registration for team into the event) how they raised this cash was at their own discretion, make the players pay it or the soc payed it. Then that would leave the players with only the €20 each entry fee. As I have pointed out the prizepool for the players is made up of €18 (90%) of the €20 and the other €2 goes towards "individual player related items". The €100 (supposed to have been paid by clubs/socs would pay for the actual costs of running the event , therefore the players wouldn't get stuck with that cost they were only building up their own prizepool.)

It seems there aren't as many poker clubs/socs as anticipated but good feedback had come from ones contacted and who replied with interest. I don't want to blank out or ignore the colleges/students who havent got a active Poker Soc etc so they still have the chance of entering but they must pay the €100 team entry fee regardless.

On the blinds question, im unsure how to have a 75/100 blind when the smallest chip value is 50 :S ;)

Experimental Blinds List (Sheet "3"), more drawn out. Maybe this looks more reasonable ?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CIT Poker Soc

alright lads,

CIT will send up a team alright, sunday is a bit of a disaster but we'll get over it!

with regards the blinds, the one above is quite sufficient, you could even get rid of a couple of levels, i cant see it being over in the timeframe you require with the amount of chips in play with that blind structure. depends on turnout, how many ye expecting??

why is there always complaining about blind levels anyway, if ye were good enough ye wouldnt have to worry!!:D

Well tbh the object of this post was to see how many more teams we will have. I think max capacity is 250 players give or take (that was number given to me by Conference Hall lady :P) but if we could get anywhere between 100-200 players would be great. I already have about 10 teams who have given the Thumbs up so hopefully more keep coming.

The second blinds set posted is roughly 11 hours of blinds, If they were chopped (1 or 2) it wouldn't damage the flow and would free up some extra time for bigger blinds were we to still be playing by then.

Yeah sundays can be a pain . . . sat night out . . . i mean missing the sunday league footie on a sunday ;) *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

I'm sure UCC will have at least 1 team up for this.

Also you spelt the name of the hotel wrong, www.kilmurrylodge.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rayfitz

Hi Guys,

Just two things I personally don't agree with and would like clarification on.

"N.B A College may enter up to 2 teams into the event, but due to extra work required for a college to enter a second team into the competition the Team fee for the second team will be €150"

What "extra work" warrants €50?
    I'm also not keen on the concept of a non-playing manager, nor do I see the need for one at all.
    I dare say all poker players should be able to fend for themselves.
    I know any of our committee lads who plan on going down all want to play. I'd imagine this is the same for other colleges.

Phew!

Aside from that we plan on sending down 2 teams and I'd personally like to wish ye the best of luck with the event.
    I'm headin over to Glasgow to see the Hoops that weekend so I shant be attending.

Ray
    DCU Pokersoc Chairman 07/08
    www.dcupokersoc.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Looks like a busy year for student poker although may I suggest you start your own thread?

Advertisement